Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Pack with Phobias System

jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
edited August 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Are you a player that feels their Sims just don't experience enough trauma?

This game pack idea would introduce a fear system to the game.
Rather than adding the emotion "fear" this GP would give sims fears, meaning specific things they are afraid of. For example, after a sim experiences a fire, they will gradually adopt fire as a fear. The more fires they experience, the more their fear rises until it is incapacitating. If a sim goes to work and fail a "chance card," your sim will start to fear going to work. If a sim flirts with someone and is rejected, they will start to fear intimacy!

Potential (Base Game) Phobias:
Fire Pyrophobia, Ghosts Phasmophobia, Work Ergophobia, Romance Philophobia, Dirty Surroundings Germophobia, Pools Hydrophobia, Exercise Kopophobia, etc. (If you can think of other phobias, feel free to add!)

But fear not, your sims' phobias do not have to last forever. Because, with this pack, sims will be able to learn how to cope (possibly as a skill, but maybe an ability). Sims can gain coping points *and adopt positive coping mechanisms* by watching Pop Psychology on TV (think Dr. Phil, lol), or scheduling their own therapy appointments. Which leads me to:

Therapist Career (Branches: Pop Psychology and Psychotherapy)
Level 1: Control Group Cohort
Level 2: Operant Conditioner
Level 3: Methodologist
Level 4: Couples Counselor

Pop Psychologist:
Level 5: Dream Analyst
Level 6: Life Coach
Level 7: Motivational Speaker
Level 8: Celebrity Hypnotist
Level 9: Self-Help Guru
Level 10: Dr. Popularity

Psychotherapist:
Level 5: Grilled Cheese Cessation Therapist
Level 6: Crisis Mediator
Level 7: Psychopathologist
Level 8: Neurologist
Level 9: Simsonian Psychiatric Society Chair
Level 10: Founder of Modern Psychotherapy

Logistically, the phobia system would either work like character values in Parenthood GP (they encounter a potential phobia and it grows stronger if unattended or weaker depending on the sim's ability to cope) or like the Fame Quirks from Get Famous EP (where earn little Fear Badges based on their daily encounters--then they book a Therapy session, kind of similar to Celebrity Cleanse--just an idea). It would also be a way to make gameplay feel more realistic, as these fears will sort of function as memories! Sims will learn to avoid things (and will also have to learn to face these fears).

I know therapy can be a very sensitive subject, especially when its left open-ended. This pack would have a structured phobia system and the therapy would be solely based on coping with these specific phobias. The gameplay would be relatively on the lighter side and without any nods toward serious illness.

And as long as we're already spiraling (I know it's not actually on theme), I'm going to justify adding spiral staircases into this game pack. WE WANT THOSE STAIRS, right?)

I want to hear your thoughts. Got any ideas for turning current base game experiences into phobias? Any ideas for new phobias? Let me know what you think!
Post edited by jadonbakes on

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    How about giving a sim the fear of city festivals so they can be afraid to go there and wear weird tourist outfits.
  • Options
    @SERVERFRA Awesome idea! I would definitely want other packs to pair with phobias. City Living has a lot to be afraid of! Festivals, for sure, but also heights, karaoke, public speaking.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Fears would be great and I love to see them added in some form, but that should come in a free update, not from a pack imo.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I miss sims 2 therapist, but would love if we could be the therapist too... maybe they could add his funny hairstyle and attire.
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I agree that sims could do with having fears added, with some sims being more affected by certain things than others leading to phobias and such. Definitely agree that it should come in an update though rather than a game pack.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I wouldn’t mind arachnophobia and fear of bugs In general.
  • Options
    @Dianesims absolutely. The Squeamish trait is not enough! I'd say if you have Outdoor Retreat or Jungle Adventures, you could be afraid of the creepy crawlies.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    can a fear be passed from a different generation?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    no i went no such content in the sims4 i prefer the way the sims4 is
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I would love phobias and the fear emotion.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I would love if The Sims 4 took on epigenetics
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I would love if The Sims 4 took on epigenetics

I was reading one of my magazines and in it- was talking about how some of her phobias can be handed down to us by our ancestors
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No way. Fear sure, but phobias? I have my own that are enough of a pain to deal with. I don't want my Sims to go through them too.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Phobia is a pretty strong word, but I’m mostly using it here because the word “fear” can be construed as an emotion. But in gameplay I would prefer things (events, experiences, maybe a few objects) that would make a sim feel tense or feel the need to freak out or shout forbidden words. Even the Sims 2 gave us an assortment of specific events that sims would want to avoid. These fears were finite and couldn’t just be anything, and weren’t intended to be triggering for players. I have confidence that if we get fears in game (through pack or patch), the developers would be conscious enough to avoid anything that will make players remember their own bad life experiences.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'm not sure if I'd want it exactly as you described it but as long as the phobias could be chosen by the player and not forced on every Sim if they experience something I'd love to see it. Maybe as a bonus trait slot with "Easily triggered" and "Calm and cool" depending if you want the Sim to start experiencing these phobias.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"