Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We need a personality overhaul

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm a happy TS4 player. That said, I'd welcome adding another trait or two per sim if possible given how many we have now. A pack related to personality is probably one I'd be interested in. I wouldn't want to be able to predict how a sim would react every time though.

I do come up with my own interpretation of how sims react to different events in the game but I'd welcome the opportunity for them to be more reactive and to have more drama, I guess. I've said before that I think there should be a pack for relationships that adds some complexity.

@ChampandGirlie I wouldn't ever want to pay for something that should be implemented as an update. Seems ridiculous.

What happened to gamers wanting more quality and expanded gameplay rather than how much paid DLC installed with bare bone content?

Quality > Quantity
    Post edited by Hestia on
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I just want them to add more variables to the current traits in The Sims 4. Is that hard? I mean even in the new packs they don't add depth on the traits. Traits feel like an afterthought. What does the Child of an Island really do? Aside from loving the basement and getting a moodlet, what does paranoid sims really do?!. Add more Attributes. If I got 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of I might start modding the game to add more attributes to this traits and call this as "traits Overhaul". I do wish modders could do it.
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    What I really really really miss from TS2 and 3 is the favorites and the zodiac signs. The zodiac signs don't een have to have an impact on the game, it was just always so interesting to see what sign each sim was through my gameplays. But the favorites, man, the favorites... they just make the sims feel so much more alive.

Imagine if a sim's favorite color is blue and they have a blue bed or a blue chair, and they get extra happy because they really like the color. Or the radio station is playing their favorite music genre, or perhaps their most disliked music genre. Imagine how much that would affect the feel of the game. It would make the sims feel more like actual living beings rather than empty husks occupied by emotions and buffs.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Meh. I've been asking for that since 5 years ago and nothing. I wouldn't count on it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    What I really really really miss from TS2 and 3 is the favorites and the zodiac signs. The zodiac signs don't een have to have an impact on the game, it was just always so interesting to see what sign each sim was through my gameplays. But the favorites, man, the favorites... they just make the sims feel so much more alive.

Imagine if a sim's favorite color is blue and they have a blue bed or a blue chair, and they get extra happy because they really like the color. Or the radio station is playing their favorite music genre, or perhaps their most disliked music genre. Imagine how much that would affect the feel of the game. It would make the sims feel more like actual living beings rather than empty husks occupied by emotions and buffs.

I really miss those too. Zoadic signs are a plus, but the favorites are a must. I still have faith they'll add it eventually, considering zodiac signs were added later on in Sims 3.

What really intrigued me was this favorite color thing. Considering we had a color wheel and could change the color of pretty much everything, how did the sims recognize which color it was? That's high technology my guys.

I wish we had all this tiny things back. I mean, it's not that hard/expensive. We're no asking for open worlds here.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm a happy TS4 player. That said, I'd welcome adding another trait or two per sim if possible given how many we have now. A pack related to personality is probably one I'd be interested in. I wouldn't want to be able to predict how a sim would react every time though.

I do come up with my own interpretation of how sims react to different events in the game but I'd welcome the opportunity for them to be more reactive and to have more drama, I guess. I've said before that I think there should be a pack for relationships that adds some complexity.

I personally think personality and relationships are base game material, so they should be added by free updates. EA would be a major plum if they made a personality pack (not saying I wouldn't buy it, though).

Fair enough, I guess I was thinking of Late Night and Hot Date in previous versions or even Generations.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Bren91Bren91 Posts: 298 Member
    To add more traits i would say is ok for them not to add in an update. The traits the game already has needs to be fixed or they need to do something to the sims to make their personalities more extinct. They just rebranded the game. given a system that gives them more distinct personalities isn't that crazy of an idea. The traits need to have more of an impact or they need to do something different. Im still hoping they add fears to the game it would make it so much more richer and rewarding game experience. People that play games like challenges the sims is no exception. Failure having a bigger impact on gameplay would make it more interesting.
  • Options
    Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    I'm a console player and while I enjoy the game, I always beeline for traits that have an affect on gameplay like foodie or creative. That's mostly due to the traits feeling kind of shallow in my opinion. I remember when I first saw the bookworm trait I was excited expecting it to maybe act along the lines of "This sim likes reading", instead I got "interact with book for a buff and a unique conversation option!" and I went through a similar experience with the Paranoid trait.

The sims wander around like Mr and Mrs perfect to the point where I just gave up on socialization unless I liked the appearance of a sim (the number of sims I like is 3, not counting any I make myself, of course) so I wind up making a loner most of the time because they don't have personality, traits feel like they don't matter unless you're using certain combinations for gameplay benefits.

Sims are empty shells to be toyed with, I gave up caring about them beyond "don't die" because the game gives little reason to care about them when the only interesting thing about them is their outward appearance.

I have more compassion for a stuffed animal than I do for a sim, then again I can give the stuffed animal more personality so...

It's funny really, there are things I love about the game (Vampires and Occults in general) but some things feel lacking. I apologize if my statement is too harsh or misses the point, I just want more depth to the trait system.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks I've moved this to feedback as it's makes sense to have over here. Carry on.
  • Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    It annoys me how every Sim loves to hug since Seasons. My evil mean Sims should not stop what they're doing to go hug someone.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    A traits/personality overhaul with turn-ons and turn-offs would make me want to start playing and buying DLC again. In the meantime, I have lost interest.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am not holding my breath for a full trait\personality overhaul but some add-ins would be nice. An attraction system could make sims a bit more unique. I would also like the interest system like sims2. If sims don't really have common interests, they may not like each other and will be much harder to form friendships and such. Emotions alone are just not cutting it anymore.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited August 2019
    I agree. I started modding other traits so my Sim could use them too, even if he didn't have the trait. My Sim can now bro hug and bump, disco nap, discuss evil plans, etc, even though he doesn't have the required traits. And I also did something I've wanted to do for a long time; went in and made mods for certain careers, so that if he does them and quits, he gets to keep their interactions as well. So for example, if my astronaut Sim could enthuse about space on Tuesday, but then quit his job, he couldn't do so on Wednesday. Now he can. Just getting to keep those has helped some, and it's stupid they lose them to begin with.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I agree. Traits are so weak that they are totally devoured by emotions. Sims with different traits don't even act differently when different emotions are activated! An Evil sim should be doing evil things whether they're Angry, Happy, or Playful...and maybe be strangely nice when Sad. Hot-Headed sims should get snappy when they're Sad and be easily snapped out of a Happy mood into and Angry one by things like the computer breaking in the middle of a gaming session or the toilet going kaput when they flush it. Gloomy sims should take way more Happy influences to get Happy than most other sims. But, no. All sims are nearly identical with emotions and behavior...aside from trait-based emotions that get boosted by Happy.

Really, the Happy emotion is the scourge of this game. It's to easy to build up, it blocks negative emotions too easily, and (unless you have a mod to fix it) your sim will be perma-happy in any indoor space that isn't a barren concrete box.

...Thanks...I hate it...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Traits do feel meaningless right now. They feel more like weak buffs easily overridden by environmental effects. There is a huge imbalance of not enough negative traits, lack of fear system, and just not enough buffs slots. I also think lot traits are too weak as well on the most part. They just need to overhaul the entire base game to have emotions feel meaningful.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Maybe they should bring back the zodiac system?
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I'm thinking more of a reconstruction the situation is so bad. As a starting point, TS2 has 5 basic traits with 10 slots each. We get, in CAS, 25 points to put into those slots as we wish. This not only defines the sort of sim they are but gives a basic attracted to/repelled by condition. Interests were randomly assigned, though somewhat influenced by the above. As the game progressed we were given turn on/off qualities and basic aspirations (family, wealth, knowledge, etc.). The end result is sims that are unique and behave in manners reflecting the above. They come across as little people with all that comes with it. What do we have now? Robots that look like little people, all behaving the same no matter what. It doesn't help that the game provides response triggers that are nonsense. Example, the water fall in the jungle in JA makes sims flirty. Sorry, but not accurate. I've seen a lot of water falls over the decades, including some very large and impressive ones (Niagra), and flirty was not my response. Not even close. The devs really need to get real, do their homework, and re-do this mess.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Ravench wrote: »
    I found this quote written by @Hestia in a thread about the "Bookworm" trait. (Hope you don't mind me crossposting it)
    It pretty much speaks for itself; The Sims 4 traits barely even scratch the surface of something like a personality when compared to The Sims 3 (The Sims 2 as well what with the attraction system and character points)
    And I agree with what they say here as well: "Don't fix what isn't broken!"
    Hestia wrote: »
    I agree. This is an issue with all the traits in general as they don’t affect personalities in such depths as we had back from The Sims 3.

The Sims 3 Bookworm
    Hfg94ux.jpg

The Sims 4 Bookworm
    EjqAnq6.jpg

Unfortunately, TS4 is more about emotions and less about unique personalities. This is why it’s so easy to encounter Sims that barely has any difference to another one with different traits. They are all basically identical.

Quite honestly, this image should make The Sims Studio feel embarrassed, or at least inspire them to actually do something about it.

The Sims 4 was constantly being advertised as the game finally about the Sims themselves after The Sims 3's strong focus on the world at the expense of the Sims. Yet, the personality and AI of our Sims leaves so much more to be desired in The Sims 4. My Sims in The Sims 2 have memories they can dream/recount about, interests directly impacting their AI, wants, fears, a fleshed out personality system, attraction, and more.

And, what's more, is half the bookworm's and other trait's bonuses in TS4 can practically be ignored, since The Sims Studio now disables whims by default. Again, rather than fix a broken, boring, and useless system, they just choose to disable it. Real inspiring.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    lasummerb wrote: »
    It annoys me how every Sim loves to hug since Seasons. My evil mean Sims should not stop what they're doing to go hug someone.

I don't think that is just a Seasons problem. That was happening in my game since the time of CL or before and there in 2017. It caused me to rage quit one time. Many threads about that here buried in the deep.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    What i currently miss is indiviual lifetime Aspirations. The Aspirations in the Sims4 are just a guidance of what you can do with the DLC. Its boring and adds nothing to the personality.
    It makes the game way to easy. I mean what do you get out of it? Your Sim is boosting theyre skill faster now, gets a promotion faster, doesnt have to pay the bills. Same thing, ''just a differente coat''
    Its sometimes even the same as in the reward store. They arent even getting a moodlet for completing theyre aspirations.

Well but i highly doubt that everything thats been mentioned here, will happen, when the senior produceres goal is to add more inclusiv stuff, so you can create your second life and be who you want, to experience acceptance and all of that, while getting as much players in, no matter what.
    (Yeah that interview, trough me off, such as the PlayWithLife ad. Its cool that they focus on differente cultures and diversity, but its just too much in a time, where babys are trapped in theyre bassinet and every age group accept for toodlers feel neglected and where ever you go within this community you see the same wishes about wanting Sims with wants and fears, personalities, interest, zodiacs, turn on and offs ETC. I encounter this wishes EVERYWHERE.

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I will say that I think I'm ultimately more of a sandbox player so I like making things for myself including most of the personality development. I do agree that there are some ways to develop sims' personalities more and to add more traits but I like having the ability to determine outcomes in any given situation as well.

For example, people have mentioned having favorites such as specific music or foods. I determine those things for my own sims and give them general preferences. Sometimes I will deviate from those preferences if I want to, maybe because I'm a bit like that myself. I don't have one favorite food or color. (Ok, I have a favorite color but I like a bunch of others and decorate with those as well). I like having some flexibility.

That said, I agree that sims could be more reactive in some situations and that there is definite room for personality development, though it's also true that different players have different play styles. I don't necessarily want to play a game with a lot of intense tragedy, personally. I might put in a few situations like that but mostly, I like my sims. I've never intentionally killed one, because it's just not my idea of fun. I know that different players are different and like different things.

I do think they should definitely fix some of the routing and pathing issues that keep popping up in the game - the walking two floors up to wash a dish or cooking on a bathroom countertop. I'd also like seeing an expansion of the number of traits and I'd be interested in seeing further sim personality development including a romance or chemistry pack. (I was on the forums asking about that two years ago).

I just like not being overly directed as well.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    > @Wallsisms4ever said:
    > It's been 5 years of The Sims 4 and I still find myself only using the same base game traits all the time. Even know I love the game and want it to go on for more years, I feel like we need new traits to go on. And when I say new traits, I mean new personality traits, and that's not what we've been getting in the DLC's.
    >
    > I just think it's so lame (specially considering we only have 3 trait slots) to have traits like "likes dogs" "likes cats" "likes summer" "likes winter" "likes the ocean" "likes the island". This is NOT personality, it doesn't help building a character. Not only that, but it has an irrelevant gameplay impact. The only decent pack traits I can think of are Self-absorbed, vegetarian and squeamish, since they do add to the personality of the sims in their everyday life, and not just when they're specifically doing an activity from the pack.
    >
    > I wouldn't even mind if EA copied some of the Sims 3 traits (which were great), just give us more traits that are able to make sims feel actually unique, and not just "like this" "like that". We need personality.
    >
    > If only we had more slots, it would be easier to build a character, but having only 3, we need good traits, otherwise the sims will always feel meh.
    >
    > Just thought that maybe if more people agree with me EA might hear us. Who knows.
    >
    > (I know we have mods that adds traits, but I don't use mods)

I think this is spot-on, a good idea. I love the game, but what an improvement it would be if more traits were allowed and/or added. There is nothing better than flushing out a character in my eyes, whether in writing or the character-creation of a game like Sims. Improving this specific area would cause an impactful improvement in the game. Well-stated idea, Wallsisms4ever, I support it completely.
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The SIms for me feel like they are on Prozac or the purple pill and more of the Stepford Sims.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen