Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 SURVIVOR Sulani Now Airing on Youtube!

Comments

• gameliagamelia Posts: 703 Member
    Loved the first episode, I can't wait to see what happens next! I'd love to try playing one of these out, are you using any challenge rules or anything in particular while you're doing this?

There are no official challenge rules out there that I know of. I was binge watching Survivor when I came up with the idea. Others on Youtube have done Sims Survivor, but they give the Sims beds, tents, food, and such. I was curious to see how it would play out if conditions were similar to the show.

I play-tested with another team before I put out the casting call, and came up with a list of challenges.
    --+++ Simming since 2000. All packs. All in! +++--
    edited August 2019
    To give y'all an update, I'm still editing Episode 2 and running a little behind. I had hoped to post it today, but it will likely be tomorrow. I had never made any kind of video before starting this Survivor series, so there's a bit of a learning curve.

I'm also learning that I'm no good at "Let's Play" style videos because I can't talk and play Sims at the same time. I can walk and chew gum--just not talk and play Sims. It's way too stressful. :D So I'm mostly sticking to game-driven story narration for camp life highlights. I honestly prefer stories over LPs any way.
  • IrishsongIrishsong Posts: 1,754 Member
    That's fine, I couldn't talk over my sims too.
    jzZP0sJ.png
  • badxwolfxrisingbadxwolfxrising Posts: 69 Member
    I'm a nerd, I'd love to read documentation on what cheats or mods you used in the building and design, how you created the challenges, etc... I enjoyed the last video, I think you're doing great.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    gamelia wrote: »
    To give y'all an update, I'm still editing Episode 2 and running a little behind. I had hoped to post it today, but it will likely be tomorrow. I had never made any kind of video before starting this Survivor series, so there's a bit of a learning curve.

I'm also learning that I'm no good at "Let's Play" style videos because I can't talk and play Sims at the same time. I can walk and chew gum--just not talk and play Sims. It's way too stressful. :D So I'm mostly sticking to game-driven story narration for camp life highlights. I honestly prefer stories over LPs any way.

Don't worry over this too much. I really liked your last video. If you can just talk about what the sims are doing at the time, it's interesting. But if you think it's boring then cut it. If you know who the sims are, just a narration of what they're doing is fine. You did GREAT on the last video. Don't overthink it!!!

Looking forward to it!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    Take your time, the first episode was great and I don't mind to wait a little bit.
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
    edited August 2019
    I'm a nerd, I'd love to read documentation on what cheats or mods you used in the building and design, how you created the challenges, etc... I enjoyed the last video, I think you're doing great.

Sure, I'd love to share. It's been really fun playing this challenge. Filming and editing is another story, but playing is fun. :)

Building the Lot

I chose the lot on Mua Pel'am that was originally the Admiral's Wreckage because of it's large size and flat ground. If you can figure out a way to fence in the water, then I suppose you could build on a beach. Sims will talk to each other through fences, so I made sure their camps were divided by extra space; that's why the tribal council area is between the two tribes' camps and Exile is on the other side of the challenge area. All gates and doors are kept locked to keep Sims from escaping. Their camps contain only trees, flowers, and other plants, some logs and rocks to sit on, plus one bush per Sim for potty and naps. You'll need Get Together for Anything Goes Party Bush or Jungle Adventures for the Open Air Natural Toilet bush. Outdoor Retreat, Jungle Adventures, or Island Living should supply you with seating. The Sims will also need a campfire so they can have food.
    The Off the Grid lot trait is also very useful because it prevents incoming calls and notices about events. Bracing Breezes or Sunny Aspect are also good lot traits because they help keep your Sims energized and happy, even though they are grungy and hungry. Other lot traits might be Creepy Crawlies, Romantic Aura, or Mean Vibe, depending on what kind of drama you want to see.

Mods and Cheats

MC Command Center by deaderpool
    I only use this mod to cheat the maximum number of Sims in a household and to summon Sims to the lot when I move them in.

SCAM by scumbumbo on Mod the Sims.
    The Self-Configurable Autonomy Mod (SCAM) allows you to disable individual autonomous actions for the Sims. For the Survivor challenge, I disable autonomy for all cell phone interactions, just to be sure the Sims aren't playing games on their phones or listening to music for fun.

Campire-No Fire mod by DemonOfSarila on Mod the Sims
    This one is critical because the fire pits are currently bugged. Camp fires cause fires to break out every two minutes without the mod, making the fire pits completely unusable in a Survivor challenge. I tried everything, including moving the rocks and logs away from the fire pit, but that didn't work. Even the rocks caught on fire!

Show Sim Info mod by itasan2 on Mod the Sims
    This one is necessary to see the exact relationship scores between Sims, if you want Sims to cast their votes based on the social aspect of the Survivor game.

You will also need to enable testingcheats so you can disable and enable needs decay, in combination with the Gameplay Autonomy on/off option in the Options menu. When it's time for a challenge, I turn off autonomy and disable needs decay.

When the Sims are in their tribal camps, autonomy is set to Full and needs decay is enabled. I don't give them any commands whatsoever while they are in their tribal camps. All I do there is follow them around with the camera and record what happens.

I use the Teleport option that comes with testingcheats to move Sims between their tribal camps, the challenge area, and tribal council.

The bb.showhiddenobjects cheat is helpful for finding debug objects for challenges, such as the fishing pond or dig sites.

At the start of each challenge, I also give each Sim one cheat moodlet using testingcheats--I give them the Very Energized moodlet. Otherwise, cranky and uncomfortable Sims won't participate. This is the only cheat I use that has any effect on the Survivor gameplay, and I do it for every Sim to level the playing field. On occasion, the addition of the Very Energized moodlet won't overcome all a Sim's negative moodlets, but I figure if the Sim is that upset, it makes sense that they refuse to participate. In that case, they forfeit their turn in the challenge.

I also keep a set of D20 dice by my side for making random decisions, such as who will go to Exile or which challenge to do next. You can buy the dice at game stores or use virtual dice online.

Challenges
    When I came up with the idea to do a Sims Survivor challenge, I sat down and brainstormed a list of different challenges and rewards that could be done for tribal competitions and individual challenges. It's a long list, but there are a few ways you can set up challenges similar to the show Survivor:
    • Have Sims go head to head (as in the chess challenge in episode 1) and the winner scores one point for their tribe.
    • Have Sims go in elimination rounds, as was done in the roller skating challenge in episode 2.
    • Total up value, weight, or number as a tribe--works for painting, collecting, fishing, etc.
    • Races that involve completing a set of tasks.
    • Last man standing type challenges or temptations. Sims do a task until they give up or are out by messing up. Temptation challenges would require full autonomy.

I start each challenge between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. each day. It takes a full day to run through most challenges, so the sun is usually setting afterward, making it the perfect time for tribal council on days when there's an immunity challenge.

Voting
    Since Sims have no functional brains to vote with, I had to come up with an objective system for determining how Sims would cast their votes at tribal council. I knew I wanted to reflect the way that survivors on the show typically make their decisions. I like that the Survivor show is a game of physical/mental challenges as well as a social game. On the show, contestants might vote off the weakest from their tribe so they can win challenges, or they might vote off the strongest who have the best chance of going to the end. And then there are the alliances and archenemies. After I was halfway through planning my own Survivor challenge, I watched a few episodes of other YouTubers who had done something similar. In their videos, votes were cast solely based on relationship standing. I felt like that loses some of the flavor of the show, so I wanted to set up the challenge in a way to incorporate the different motivations for voting. That's when I started tracking performance and social stats.

For performance stats, I try to weight each challenge from 2 to 3 points so that each challenge has almost equal weight in their performance percentages. For challenges with a wide range of results, such as the value of dig finds, I assigned three tiers for points: bottom, middle, and top tier scores of 1, 2, 3 respectively. I record results in the chart as fractions, which is converted to percentages--and they are added to reflect cumulative scores at the time of tribal council. Actually, I track stats after every challenge to help tell the story during filming, but it's really only necessary for determining votes at council.

Relationship stats are the friendship numbers shown using the Show Sim Info mod; I ignore the romantic score (yes, there have been some flirtations on the island--ahem--Cassie and Lily-- <3 in their future?).

I have to admit that I was figuring out this voting thing as I went along, so the first tribal council votes don't exactly reflect the system outlined here. But this is how I figure out the votes after recording the performance and relationship stats.

First I determine any alliances and archenemies. It took me a bit to figure this out, but I set the threshold at 8 friendship points per in-game night spent together. If after one night, two Sims have a friendship score over 8, then they are considered to be in an alliance. After two nights together, the threshold is 16 . . . three nights together is 24 and so on. The same goes for archenemies, but to the negative, of course. I may need to adjust this as the game progresses and there are fewer Sims.

While tribes are still separated into Ravasheen and Bagooh, each Sim will try to vote out the weakest Sim on the tribe UNLESS they have an alliance with the weakest Sim OR they have an archenemy. They won't vote for the weakest Sim if they have an alliance with them, and they will skip voting for a weak performer if they have an archenemy that makes a more satisfying target. After the merge, the contestants will target the strongest players first, but sticking to their current alliances or voting out enemies first.

Other Tips
    I play-tested the challenge with two other tribes consisting of 14 members each. I gave one tribe all the rewards and gave the other tribe nothing so I could see if a) the tribe with the rewards would actually use them, and b) the tribe without rewards could survive. Note: the Sims can only survive for about 24 hours without food, so it's a good thing tribal council happens on the second night. :)

I also tested the Exile location to make sure Sims would dig to find the hidden immunity idol. Digging for the idol only works in Sulani with Island Living because it's the only place Sims will dig autonomously, as far as I know. After trial and error, I determined that some Sims enjoy digging while others don't. Not my fault if they don't look. haha. I also chose one of the rare finds in Sulani to be the hidden immunity idol. Two out three nights during testing, the Sim in exile found the hidden immunity idol. Just make sure there's enough sand around because I have never seen Sims dig in the grassy areas. I'm not sure if it matters what type of sand, but I used the sand that came with Island Living, just to be sure.

I also played around with awarding items to Sims in their inventories, but there are few items Sims will autonomously use from their inventories. A Sim will starve and die before they eat a delicious sandwich in their inventory, but will get a rotten fish from there and grill it on the fire pit. It's kind of annoying that they don't have the sense to use what's at their disposal.

That's all I can think of for now, but let me know if you have questions.

Post edited by gamelia on
    Skeilah wrote: »
    Take your time, the first episode was great and I don't mind to wait a little bit.

Twiddling my thumbs as the video uploads to YouTube. :)
    Episode 2 is posted!

https://youtu.be/1bsVLLFtbsA

*SPOILER WARNING*
    Spoilers in comments after this post.
    The performance and relationship stats have been updated to a new link, with voting records added:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11HPUafLRaqrNXYsHP2NtUCLqy9r05Kd9oZZOCeuPMgo/edit?usp=sharing

*SPOILER WARNING*
    Don't look at the second sheet (Tribal Council 2) until after you watch the video or you will know how it ends. :)
    edited August 2019
    Jeezz, Stan and Jax :o 43!

Btw, great episode again!

They're pretty tight at this point. I wonder how long it will last! :)

They're pretty tight at this point. I wonder how long it will last! :)

If it keeps growing this way they will become best friends in notime!
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm enjoying this so much!

I only have 13 followers on my Simblr, but Ransom and Survivor made a cameo in my latest post! I built a boat hotel/cruise ship for the new Dynamic Developers challenge and my daughter suggested a celebrity cruise for the story, so of course he had to make an appearance! There's a little link to my playlist of your videos at the bottom so it's not much, but I couldn't resist adding it!

In my headcanon, the tv show is already filmed and Ransom has signed a non-disclosure agreement about whatever happens. The story won't affect Survivor at all. I hope it's okay!

Edit: I forgot to share the link!
    https://phantasmkiss.tumblr.com/post/187309349943/cruise-ship-helios
    Post edited by phantasmkiss on
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    I loved this second edition! So much fun to watch it all play out! :)
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    Great episode!
    Someone was out to get Irving and poisoned him. I just know it! Poor guy, hope the medics take care of him. Boohoo, Irving is gone :(
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Aubrey better get on Cassies good side.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Loved this second episode and the way you show tribal politics. Great job
    Looking forward to the next episode
    @pammiechick, @kittymeow, @nerdfashion, @VanPelt81, @Irishsong, @Skeilah, @badxwolfxrising, @haswh, @SoulGal7, @Becka28, @StarDreamer, @Damaro, @phantasmkiss

Question for the Sim Survivor creators: Would y'all be interested in a survivor style auction? I'll be going out of town this weekend for the holiday and won't be able to film, but I can still access the forums. I thought this might be a good time to have a Survivor style auction if you're interested. Each day at the same time, I could post one or two items up for bid--food, bubble bath, a cot, etc. Then each of you would have §500 to bid on the item(s), with the bidding for each item being open for 24 hours. Then the next item goes up for bid. If that's something you'd like to do, I can post the current needs status of each of your Sims (at the time of the auction in game). Then the following weekend (Sep 7), I could film the results. Might be fun. :D
    I'm enjoying this so much!

I only have 13 followers on my Simblr, but Ransom and Survivor made a cameo in my latest post! I built a boat hotel/cruise ship for the new Dynamic Developers challenge and my daughter suggested a celebrity cruise for the story, so of course he had to make an appearance! There's a little link to my playlist of your videos at the bottom so it's not much, but I couldn't resist adding it!

In my headcanon, the tv show is already filmed and Ransom has signed a non-disclosure agreement about whatever happens. The story won't affect Survivor at all. I hope it's okay!

Edit: I forgot to share the link!
    https://phantasmkiss.tumblr.com/post/187309349943/cruise-ship-helios

I don't have a tumblr account, but I will get one now so I can follow you. I like Ransom's choice of charity, Pools Without Ladders. hahaha! If he makes it to the final tribal council, I'm sure he will include that info while he's pleading his case to the jury. :p
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    The auction sounds fun! I’m game!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Aubrey better get on Cassies good side.

I know! Cassie is gunning for her, for sure.
    Becka28 wrote: »
    Loved this second episode and the way you show tribal politics. Great job
    Looking forward to the next episode

If y'all have any suggestions, requests, constructive criticism or feedback, I'm all ears. It won't hurt my feelings.

I realize I'm not the best speaker on camera, and will never be eloquent. I'm great with words, but only in writing. And I don't have a ton of personality like other YouTubers--I do actually, but all my personality is on the inside. :p
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    @pammiechick, @kittymeow, @nerdfashion, @VanPelt81, @Irishsong, @Skeilah, @badxwolfxrising, @haswh, @SoulGal7, @Becka28, @StarDreamer, @Damaro, @phantasmkiss

Question for the Sim Survivor creators: Would y'all be interested in a survivor style auction? I'll be going out of town this weekend for the holiday and won't be able to film, but I can still access the forums. I thought this might be a good time to have a Survivor style auction if you're interested. Each day at the same time, I could post one or two items up for bid--food, bubble bath, a cot, etc. Then each of you would have §500 to bid on the item(s), with the bidding for each item being open for 24 hours. Then the next item goes up for bid. If that's something you'd like to do, I can post the current needs status of each of your Sims (at the time of the auction in game). Then the following weekend (Sep 7), I could film the results. Might be fun. :D

I would be in if it's posted here! Sounds like fun! :)
    Ooof. Auctions. I am really no fan of bidding if I need to do that myself. It’s just something stressfull for me. But, if everyone loves it, I’ll just face my fears then!