Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Home from Vacation Glitch

TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
edited August 2019 in The Sims 2
Hi everyone, I'm having a weird glitch in Sims 2 right now and I'm wondering whether anyone here has some advice on what might have happened and how to fix it. My Sims just got home from vacation in Three Lakes. They were staying at a vacation house I built them, and they stayed there for 4 nights without any problems. My last save is the morning of their last day on vacation, about 2 or 3 hours before the van comes to get them. Normally I tend to send my Sims home early, but this time I just waited until the airport shuttle arrived to take them.

The problem started when I got home. First I got prompted to choose the vacation benefits, which I did for each Sim. The extra want slots showed up so I know the benefits worked. Next, everyone got out of the shuttle and I sent them off to start doing things at home, but they keep dropping what I tell them to do to try to get back in the shuttle. I can't dismiss the nanny who was hired to watch the cat. Every time I cancel the "Go Somewhere" option, the suitcases disappear, but then my Sims drop whatever new action I tell them to do and the suitcases appear again. I haven't let anyone get on the van yet, but they seem so determined to go back on vacation.

I haven't saved yet (but I don't know if the game automatically saves me coming home from vacation), and the game is just open on pause. Should I quit without saving and try again? Should I call the airport shuttle early instead of waiting for it to come pick my Sims up? Or should I let them try to go on vacation and then just send them home immediately?

ETA: I had to quit out of the game without saving (couldn't keep it running, and didn't want to save), but does anyone have any advice about how to avoid this happening again, or what to do when it does?
Post edited by Terra on

Comments

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited August 2019
    hmmm Maybe there is something up with the build? I never had this issue but I never made a custom vacation home. Do vacation homes have mailboxes?? I can't remember because I always had my sim stay in a hotel. I bring up mailboxes because every housing issue I have had in Sims 2 has been a mailbox issue. I still cant get my apartments to work because I know I have a custom mailbox buried somewhere in my mods.

Hope this helps at the very least your thread will get some visibility :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    This was a really old bug but I can't remember what caused it. Do you have any custom mailboxes in your game? Even if not on the lot. There is one made during the time of the pack that is not compatible with AL. If you have that mailbox in your downloads make sure to go to each lot and replace it with the one made for AL (custom). You can use Sims2PK Cleaner to find it in your downloads folder and disable it temporarily and hopefully, if that is the problem, you can then find the one built for AL and replace it since you can't buy a mailbox or cheat a mailbox in TS2. Let me know if you solved it. But most problems like that are caused by something like a custom mailbox. Or lack of a mailbox.

ETA: look for this file in your downloads (do not delete disable it for now) SEDD_BuyMailboxBV.package and this SEDD_BuyTrashcanBV.package

@keekee53 your apartments won't work because of those two things are probably in your files, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for your comments, @keekee53 and @Cinebar . I don't actually have any custom mailboxes though, nor do I have AL (I play on the Mac Sims 2 Super Collection). The only CC I have in my game is a mod that lets you gain skills while on community lots. I'm pretty sure there is a normal mailbox on the vacation lot, but I will double check.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    I wish I could remember how to solve it. The old BBS had so much info we sometimes need that can't be found anymore. I do know moving the mailbox and or trashcans sometimes causes portal problems and sometimes putting those closer to the road or back where they belong can help fix a portal that has gone haywire. I'll try to help find a better answer since I do have a lot of cc and know that one mailbox causes all sorts of problems and so does that trashcan, if anyone has anything installed later than BV.

ETA: This thread is talking about when Sims got stuck at vacation and can't leave at the hotel. Their problem seems to the be the taxi that picks up the Sims on vacation. They used a teleport shrub instead of calling to leave (link to shrub in the thread) Maybe that can help you before they leave the vacation area, to get them home without repeating trying to go back on vacation. But make a backup of your game before trying this.

http://modthesims.info/t/576630
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    This was a really old bug but I can't remember what caused it. Do you have any custom mailboxes in your game? Even if not on the lot. There is one made during the time of the pack that is not compatible with AL. If you have that mailbox in your downloads make sure to go to each lot and replace it with the one made for AL (custom). You can use Sims2PK Cleaner to find it in your downloads folder and disable it temporarily and hopefully, if that is the problem, you can then find the one built for AL and replace it since you can't buy a mailbox or cheat a mailbox in TS2. Let me know if you solved it. But most problems like that are caused by something like a custom mailbox. Or lack of a mailbox.

ETA: look for this file in your downloads (do not delete disable it for now) SEDD_BuyMailboxBV.package and this SEDD_BuyTrashcanBV.package

@keekee53 your apartments won't work because of those two things are probably in your files, too.

Thanks Cinebar :) I will check my downloads folder for those two files as well. I was checking for this long strain of numbers I found in an old post somewhere...LOL