March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tay Bayless

Tay Bayless

I have just got to know. What is so wrong with Tay Bayless' looks that has simmers on multi-forums negatively talking about him? I have 'Ambitions' but I am not developing anyone in the majority of those careers yet, so I have never seen him.

I have seen his little boy wiki picture and he seems cute in a stereotypical closed-minded country bumpkin sort of way (that comment was directed at his designer). I cannot imagine his adult version becoming so hideously different to warrant the amount of ughs and yucks I have read.

So please, will someone enlighten me as to what it is about the Bayless child that puts a bad taste in so many Simmer's mouths. Thanks.

Comments

• PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @mw1525 , I didn't even know who Tay Bayless was until I read your post, but you got me curious. I googled him and found a thread about children born to original sims 3 townies on Carl's forum. One of those sims (Reply #1933) is Tay's son who apparently inherited his ears... and those are really enormous ears! :D
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I knew of the Bayless family but hadn't really checked them out and had no idea what Tay would look like grown up. I just loaded a fresh Twinbrook for a look.

Tay looks okay as a child, if not a little sad.
    48622977572_f4f072f592_o.jpg

I won't make any comments on what I saw when I aged him up but it probably answers your question :D
    48622828706_0f088422aa_o.jpg
    48622828606_4f438d14ca_o.jpg
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 2019
    He certainly isn't a zero slider sim, so there's that.

In my current game in Twinbrook, he got also hit with "socially awkward" or something like that. In the sim world, that's the more important issue.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Poor Tay. He has a kind of "unfortunate" charm about him. If you reach...
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @Mikizumi - Thank you for providing visual context.
    @Turjan - I would expect no less than that trait as it feeds the stereotype and ensures simulated life will be harder for him.
    @Pary - I don't see 'unfortunate' as much as I see 'misunderstood'.
    @PalmArrow - I didn't know anything about this Sim either except the reaction to him was mostly the same across three major Sim forums where his name has come up (Here, MTS and NRaas, as well as some lesser known sites where Sims are discussed).

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this Sim!
    My first impression upon looking at his face is he wears the marks of a Sim who will walk through his life persecuted by others because of a defining physical feature. His overall 'feel' (the impression I get of the possible life he may lead) is he seems as one who understands he must wear mental armor against those who will treat him and see him only for what he looks like and not who he truly is. This is represented by the expression he wears which is accentuated by him having tiny down-turned eyes and a down-turned corners of his mouth representing a slight frown.

Tay has no reason to be sad and should wear his ears with pride! In our world there is scientific proof of large ears being linked to higher intelligence. In The United States, where I am located, if you look at any of the Military strategist, News personnel who have a real opinion and do not feed media fodder or, our last president (before this one) you will notice a specific physical feature which they have in common. Large ears.

Now that I have seen him, when I install 'Ambitions', I will seek out this child to befriend him and make certain he has everything he needs to overcome those who would mistreat him because of his looks. If he meshes with any of the Sims I place in the world, I would be proud to have him (unaltered) as a part of my family tree. And, those ears shall become a signature of excellence his descendants will be proud to wear.
    mw1525 wrote: »

Now that I have seen him, when I install 'Ambitions', I will seek out this child to befriend him and make certain he has everything he needs to overcome those who would mistreat him because of his looks. If he meshes with any of the Sims I place in the world, I would be proud to have him (unaltered) as a part of my family tree. And, those ears shall become a signature of excellence his descendants will be proud to wear.

Sims will not mistreat him because of his looks. Only simmers perceive beauty or ugliness in sims.

edited August 2019
    @Mikezumi - In one of my games, I changed the look of one of my Sims and his wife divorced him. I made a thread about it (I'll see if I can find the link). In another of my games, my Sim couldn't get a date until I physically altered him. I also made a thread about that one. In the latter, I had remembered one of the producers had mentioned that Sims can 'see' each other and this (can) affect how they interact with them.

Here They Are:

I Changed Their Looks And Ruined His Life!:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/877981/i-changed-their-looks-and-ruined-his-life#latest

My Sim Needs A Woman and I Need Help!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/936619/my-sim-needs-a-woman-and-i-need-help#latest
    I won't check out your linked stories but if you say you experienced this in your games, I can't dispute it even though I have never seen it myself. I do believe a lot of what we see in our games is coloured by our own perceptions so I'll just leave it at that.
    Let's face it, if he is lucky with the roll of his traits, he has absolutely zero issues in the game. He starts with "Loves the Outdoors", "Family-Oriented" and "Angler", which is perfectly fine. It all depends on which traits he gets hit with when he gets older. He was just very unlucky in my game.
    @Mikizumi - You have already read (at least the last thread) but it was so long ago, (March 2018) and with the speed at which the forums move, I'm certain it has long since been forgotten about :). Anyhow, you made a comment concerning it and I gave you this response concerning adding a female for my Sim:

Mikezumi - Nah, she really wasn't feeling him so it was best that I removed her. For some strange reason, I kept hearing Grant Rodiek (Sims 3 producer) in my head when he said 'Sims can SEE each other' and Simmer, FordGT90Concept when he said 'Sims are "aware" of their surroundings including other Sims.' Which lead me to the path of 'What if its his 'look' that's holding him back. So, I decided to give him a make over, nothing drastic just a hair cut and more groomed goatee plus, I sent him to the gym for a bit of strength training. My Goodness did that do the trick! The single women aren't running away anymore. In fact, we have a new problem 1). The teen girls are looking in his direction and 2). The married women are demanding 'hangout' time with him (their hubbies aren't liking that :D)! Still, haven't found that special Sim for him, but at least now the 'searching through options is a lot easier!
    @Turjan - That's why I'm going to have my Sims befriend him, to kinda push the odds up in favor of him getting better traits to grow on ;).
    @mw1525 I do vaguely recall that thread. I will admit that I do not like reading on the computer screen so I probably, as I do with all long posts, just skimmed for key words so might not have gotten the full details.
    edited August 2019
    Regarding physical features, I only heard that sims perceive the weight slider. Sims with the slider in the center get some bonus, those at the skinny or voluminous ends get a malus. Can't be much though. I never heard that other sliders play a role, but who knows. There are some obvious candidates, like how muscular a sim is. Sims also have a fitness stat. I can't imagine hair plays any role.

I should probably check whether there's some trait incompatibility between my founder and Tay, because I know for sure that every single autonomous conversation they had went south, even when Tay was a teen.
    @Turjan - I don't know how the 'attractiveness' thing works between Sims. I always thought it was traits and personal relationships based on one-on-one interactions and actual time spent together. It wasn't until a simple makeover threw my game out of whack did I begin to consider that physical features may play an 'unknown' part in how one Sim view another in some form. If this is written into the game then it would have to be a part of the core game mechanics.

With my other Sim, it wasn't until I cleaned him up (so to speak) did other Sims begin to find him attractive and I didn't change anything about him other than his hair and goatee, his face is exactly the same. Now-a-days when I play his household, he doesn't visit the gym regularly and the female response is just as strong as ever towards him. If slider position plays a factor, then he should have had the same result as before because I didn't alter him.
    edited August 2019
    Look at his fitness stat in Master Controller. That may be it.

The reason why I am rather sure that hair doesn't play any role is that the makers of the game expected lots of different hairstyles from many sources. There's absolutely no way to account for those.

And who knows, maybe money makes "beautiful", too.
    @mw1525 You mentioned also sending sim to gym so fitness may have been a factor. As for more recent game play, his higher skill levels might make a difference even if he doesn't visit gym regularly.
    edited August 2019
    @Turjan - His fitness status then and now are very different. Currently, he is his normal, as I made him self and he gets plenty of female attention (to the dismay of his girlfriend). Prior to, he was his normal as I made him self with a different hairstyle and beard and the women were doing the 220 backwards (racing term) to get away from him, he couldn't get a date because there was no interest in him beyond friendly conversation.
    @Mikizumi - I don't allow my Sims to date while I am working with them (building skills and other developments). I can manage them having friendships as they 'get a feel' for Sims, but I cannot handle, building and growing a real relationship between the two (besides, I try to stay out of their love lives).
    edited August 2019
    Don't you also play on "epic"? There are several LTR's that help immensely in this regard, like "attractive". I would look there. I've never seen any reaction to changes in hairstyles or beards myself.
    @Turjan - Yep, I'm an epic lifetime player. LTRs generally go towards things which enhance the careers they are in and not social things. Chef's will get the food replicator, Adventurers will get the hardly dirty LTR and things like that. None of the social ones like legendary host, office hero and the likes.
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I'm actually playing in Twinbrook right now and that Bayless family....laaaaaawd jesus....I just go and edit all of them, lol. While their features are certainly not pudding, it makes me wonder if their family tree forks at all :#
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2019
    ahhh don't pick on the Bayless, I don't know why but I like them, I put them in all my worlds. I guess I felt sorry for them living in the swamp so I give them a nice 2 bedroom house, where ever I move my sims. Now I know they are not handsome, but not everyone is, and the world is made up of some wonderful not so handsome people. So I guess I am just giving the Bayless a chance to feel good in a not so perfect world.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    I like unique sims but in my opinion I wouldn't play Tay without changing the size of his ears for fear of them showing up in future generations. I could deal with the rotation but they are just so huge that it doesn't look realistic to me. I would also slightly tweak the angle of his eyes and maybe the nose tip height or nostril rotation. He is quite cute as a child and I'm sure there's a lot to love about him :)
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    @coco well it would be fun to marry him to a beautiful women and see what happens to the kids, perhaps you could make the Bayless generation beautiful. without changing a thing.