Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Petition for EA to release the "Create-A-World -- BETA" tool on the Mac platform.

Comments

• CyberianTsuinamiCyberianTsuinami Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    Signed
  • iScooperiScooper Posts: 11 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed! Signed like hell. I was so mad when I found out it will be PC only! I my Mac so I can make better videos with my sims and post them online instead of using Windows movie maker (Which never worked for me by the way). I love my new Mac, and to not have a the create a world tool for my sims is like EA telling me that I should switch back to a PC! That tool would have been so awesome for my movies too.
  • lostinpixelslostinpixels Posts: 11 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Count me in.
    Signed
  • HeyBubbeHeyBubbe Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed!
  • MichabeanMichabean Posts: 452 Member
    edited December 2009
    Unbelievable... They put this on the description and yet it's a PC only tool?? :

". For advanced designers, bring your creativity to life by creating and importing designs from Photoshop and other graphics programs."

Well, I'm guessing at least it'll be Mac compatible once it's past Beta.

seriously ridiculous.

(edit : my primary motivation to buying all Sim games is the creativity/building factors and I was certain that we'd be able to create our own towns and terrains etc... - if this isn't released for the Mac at all I'll be dropping this game altogether)
  • YamattaYamatta Posts: 48 New Member
    edited December 2009
    It has been released.... For pc Only....
    edited December 2009
    Yamatta wrote:

It still says Beta in their description... :?:
  • sonaliagrawalsonaliagrawal Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I am in too..
  • Cmm55855Cmm55855 Posts: 49 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed :D
  • MEG_KGMEG_KG Posts: 26 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed.
  • zaiu1zaiu1 Posts: 167
    edited December 2009
    Signed.
  • solarsporksolarspork Posts: 250 New Member
    edited December 2009
    i'm in on this.
  • RetroFlowerRetroFlower Posts: 28 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed... Looking forward to the mac I'm getting for christmas, but I've just gotten used to and starting to enjoy this tool :(
  • ZitiacheZitiache Posts: 8 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Again, thank you all for your continued support; it's much appreciated. Also, I encourage everyone not to give up now just because the PC version of CAW--Beta is out; the whole point of EA releasing their tool with a "beta" moniker is supposedly so that they can take feedback from users and refine said tool. This certainly qualifies as feedback from users, and the more feedback EA gets on something like this, the more likely they are to actually respond to it.
    Michabean wrote:
    Well, I'm guessing at least it'll be Mac compatible once it's past Beta.
    I agree Michabean, the moment EA used the term "advanced designers" they stuck their foot in their mouth. 90% of the people EA refers to as "advanced designers," such as graphic artists, are Mac users. In fact, the people who kept Apple Computer Inc. alive in the mid-90s when the company almost went bankrupt were mostly graphic designers. While 90% of Simmers may not be Mac users, 90% of "advanced designers" overall are, and that likely means that 90% (allow for a +/- 5% margin of error,) of EA's "advanced designers" are Mac users. (I'm not saying that there aren't graphic artists who use Windows PCs; I'm just saying that there aren't a lot of them.)

Also, I'd be very careful about assuming that once EA drops the term "beta" they'll make CAW Mac compatible. If EA intended to do this, I think that they'd have mentioned it in their initial press release, which they admittedly didn't do. Remember, EA is really stretching the term "beta" here--this is a stable tool, it's the exact same tool that EA used to create Sunset Valley and Riverview, so it's really a "beta" in name only. It sounds like EA wants to modify the tool slightly, and maybe make the UI a little more user-friendly, although most feedback from PC-users so far seems positive. What admittedly worries me is that I could see EA dropping the term "beta" and just moving the asterisk to read "Create-A-World*" and then "*PC-only;" while Tindu's thoughts on this in the other thread are interesting, I don't think EA intends to make CAW Mac-compatible without persuasion. What's more, we're assuming that EA will actually follow-through and remove the "beta" moniker at some point, which would admittedly make the most sense, and seems like the obvious thing to do. However, EA could just decide to leave CAW in "beta" form forever and just claim that it isn't "finished." This would admittedly be ridiculously devious, and an outright stupid abuse of semantics, but it's still a possibility, and one worth noting, albeit an unlikely one.
    Michabean wrote:
    (edit : my primary motivation to buying all Sim games is the creativity/building factors and I was certain that we'd be able to create our own towns and terrains etc... - if this isn't released for the Mac at all I'll be dropping this game altogether)
    While I don't intend to drop the game, at least not yet, if I ever do decide to drop TS3, the lack of CAW will likely be what causes me to do so. The thing that makes the Sims franchise interesting to me is the "sandbox" factor; and CAW is a major part of that. The reason I'd continue purchasing EPs and SPs, would be to have more options in the creativity/building aspect of TS3. While I have no intention of abandoning TS3 at present, if EA wanted a "customer for life" out of me, they need only offer me CAW in some form or another.
    Yamatta wrote:
    No surprise there, Yamatta; that's exactly what EA said that they would do. However, that's the reason why the continued support of this thread, as well as anything else that lets EA know that Mac users want CAW, is vital. The phrase "better late than never" applies here; I would rather that we receive CAW "late," even if it's six months to a year late, than we never receive it at all. All EA has to do to shut me up about this topic is announce a Mac version of CAW. The only thing I will consider an "official" announcement though is something on the CAW section of the TS3 website, or a press release on the EA website.
    Signed... Looking forward to the mac I'm getting for christmas, but I've just gotten used to and starting to enjoy this tool :(
    RetroFlower, I'm not sure what kind of PC you have at present, but if you have a generic Windows XP/Vista install disc, and can figure out how to deactivate/deauthorize your current PC from running Windows XP/Vista, you could use "Boot Camp" (included with OS X) to partition your Mac to run both OS X and Windows. You'll need an actual Windows install disc though, and most PC manufacturers (e.g. Dell, HP etc.) don't include one; instead, most large PC manufacturers include some form of custom "restore disc," that includes Windows on it, along with several tools used only by that particular company. For example, Dell has a contract with Microsoft that allows them to distribute a "restore disc" with Windows, as well as a slew of Dell-branded software. The only "catch" to this method though, would be that you'd need to install TS3 onto your Windows partition on your Mac for CAW--beta to interface with it. This also means that you'd have to deal with every problem that the PC version of the game has, including the lack of v-sync, and as Apple says, "Windows on a Mac is like Windows on a PC," which means that your Windows partition at the very least, would be exposed to the same Windows-specific viruses and problems that a standard PC is exposed to.

In my case however, Boot Camp isn't an option; the Mac Pro RAID Card in my Mac Pro lacks the Windows drivers required to allow me to run Boot Camp so I can't even install Windows, even if I drop $200 on a Windows disc. The only people who are affected by this are other Mac Pro users who have a Mac Pro RAID card installed in their system; if you don't have a Mac Pro and a Mac Pro RAID card, this is a non-issue though.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for their continued support on this; and to remind everyone that we shouldn't stop trying to convince EA to release the tool for the Mac just because it's available for the PC now. If anything, we now have more of a reason to provide EA with our feedback, and to make it known that we want CAW, beta or otherwise, available on the Mac. Again, thank you all for your support.

EDIT: Zitiache, EA's boards are/were lagging again in showing posts in order so I initially missed your name; it's been added to the list of signatures, as has everyone else's as of this edit. I'll move the signatures the next time I make an actual post in here, but I'm not going to create a new post just to move the signatures if that makes any sense. We're up to 130 signatures total now though, so I'm really pleased with the attention this thread is getting, hopefully a Guru or Gurus are taking note of this and passing the information along to the appropriate people within EA to create a port of the tool be it CAW--Beta or CAW. Remember, until you see something on the TS3 website, don't believe it. Again, thank you all for your continued support.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited December 2009
    I really wouldn't mind paying for CAW when it's gamma (or otherwise)... If they had released it as an EP, I certainly wouldn't have hesitated.
  • SterredejongSterredejong Posts: 58
    edited December 2009
    Hi from the Netherlands everybody!

I will absolutely sign this. I was so disapointed when I saw it was PC-only!

I think that they also need feedback from the Mac-users right? I mean, if it's a Beta, they need to know what user experience from the product.

Were they just planning on just only taking in the feedback from the PC-users, and then releasing it for both without even having it tested on a mac?!

• EinsteinribEinsteinrib Posts: 9 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed
  • kaitlynnp2012kaitlynnp2012 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I am with everyone that is saying that macs need this too.
    That is the computer at which i use, and I know I would love to create my own world, its would make the game a lot funner

Im in
    consider this my signature
  • trishuhhhtrishuhhh Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2009
    signed
  • BamboozerzBamboozerz Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    signed
  • xxvoovxxxxvoovxx Posts: 19 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed
  • Birkettboy55Birkettboy55 Posts: 363 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed. Lucky we can always put a partition on a Mac and do it that way ;D

I couldn't be bothered doing that so Im having to download the file, transfer it to a PC, Download the 5 updates as .exe files...from places...(not actually illegal, just the only way to play the game on a PC without internet)

Still not got the Update I need :/
    and it probably will ruin the Sims on my PC.

Sigh...

maybe in 2010 we will have it? (makes it sound years away xD....*ahem*...)

BBoy
  • happysketcherhappysketcher Posts: 6 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed.
  • verticalpointverticalpoint Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Signed.