Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We need a personality overhaul

It's been 5 years of The Sims 4 and I still find myself only using the same base game traits all the time. Even know I love the game and want it to go on for more years, I feel like we need new traits to go on. And when I say new traits, I mean new personality traits, and that's not what we've been getting in the DLC's.

I just think it's so lame (specially considering we only have 3 trait slots) to have traits like "likes dogs" "likes cats" "likes summer" "likes winter" "likes the ocean" "likes the island". This is NOT personality, it doesn't help building a character. Not only that, but it has an irrelevant gameplay impact. The only decent pack traits I can think of are Self-absorbed, vegetarian and squeamish, since they do add to the personality of the sims in their everyday life, and not just when they're specifically doing an activity from the pack.

I wouldn't even mind if EA copied some of the Sims 3 traits (which were great), just give us more traits that are able to make sims feel actually unique, and not just "like this" "like that". We need personality.

If only we had more slots, it would be easier to build a character, but having only 3, we need good traits, otherwise the sims will always feel meh.

Just thought that maybe if more people agree with me EA might hear us. Who knows.

(I know we have mods that adds traits, but I don't use mods)

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Yes we do.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    olvrbsn wrote: »
    I feel same. If we can't have more traits, i just wish they ACT like their traits.

This ^^^
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    At this point they should feel obligated to bring back the traits from TS3, interests from TS1 & TS2 and gender preference (TS2 & TS3).

Why fix something that isn’t broken?

All the personality traits in TS4 are not unique amongst each other. All they do is affect emotions. Not autonomy, how they react, what they like to talk about, who they get along with, what they prefer to do and so on. The irony of emotions in this game is that it doesn’t affect personality.

Even though The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 didn’t have traits, they were all unique among themselves due to zodiac signs (I don’t believe in this irl but that’s beside the point), personality points and interests. TS2 and TS3 has a hidden “gender preference” game mechanic that made even a bigger impact on personalities. Their reaction when they see someone “attractive” to their tastes. “Turn Ons and Turn Offs” (Chemistry) from TS2.

I firmly believe that every single Sim from this iteration will definitely interact exactly the same if you play them without any traits on them.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    Most of the traits we have are worthless and don't even seem noticeable. I'd love them to improve the ones we have as well as add new ones.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I couldn’t agree more. I always cheat some reward traits when making new sims just to make them not so boring and not so clone-like.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I don't even see the reward traits as actual traits, because they don't affect how Sims act. They're more like upgrades or something.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    They wanted so much to make emotions the center of Sims' personalities, but it didn't work out. Emotions cancel out even the opportunity for personality. Something sad happens, all the Sims are sad. Their actions are now sad actions. Personality doesn't affect much.

I fully agree that an overhaul would be good. They've already tinkered a bit; for a while near the beginning, emotions were overwhelming and constantly fighting one another for dominance. Sims would flicker between confident and happy so much that they couldn't always accomplish the tasks you'd set them on.

We keep getting assurance that Sims 4 isn't going anywhere, that there are years of content ahead of us, so hopefully they'll do more tinkering.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    It's been 5 years of The Sims 4 and I still find myself only using the same base game traits all the time. Even know I love the game and want it to go on for more years, I feel like we need new traits to go on. And when I say new traits, I mean new personality traits, and that's not what we've been getting in the DLC's.

I just think it's so lame (specially considering we only have 3 trait slots) to have traits like "likes dogs" "likes cats" "likes summer" "likes winter" "likes the ocean" "likes the island". This is NOT personality, it doesn't help building a character. Not only that, but it has an irrelevant gameplay impact. The only decent pack traits I can think of are Self-absorbed, vegetarian and squeamish, since they do add to the personality of the sims in their everyday life, and not just when they're specifically doing an activity from the pack.

I wouldn't even mind if EA copied some of the Sims 3 traits (which were great), just give us more traits that are able to make sims feel actually unique, and not just "like this" "like that". We need personality.

If only we had more slots, it would be easier to build a character, but having only 3, we need good traits, otherwise the sims will always feel meh.

Just thought that maybe if more people agree with me EA might hear us. Who knows.

(I know we have mods that adds traits, but I don't use mods)

Aw, I actually like the "like cats" one cuz my sim's friend has that and every time he comes by the house, he gushes over my sim's kitten. I think it's cute. XD Though, I think for small details like this, it's better to make them 'redeemable' traits instead.
    That being said, I usually just use cheats just to put in these traits so the 3 slot thing doesn't apply to me. 🙈
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    For me, it's not necessarily needing more traits, but I'm desperate for Sims to act more like their traits. It can really restrict me from getting in to my story because of how lacking in personality Sims can sometimes be. Like why would my mean Sims go around hugging each other on free will? And a noncommittal sim constantly wants to try for another baby with her husband.
    I now play with a mod which encourages more 'personality' to come through in gameplay and I have noticed a good difference. But these simple gameplay features should have been part of base game. I find I have to use my imagination to fill in some parts of my Sims lives and personality at times instead of the game giving me these features.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited August 2019
    It does bug me that the current traits are too uneven, some define personality as a whole (e.g. Kind, Evil, Lazy), some affect only one aspect (e.g. Jealous only affects romantic aspect) or only one activity (e.g. Bookworm). Even with current traits there should be some kind of hierarchy of them, like an archetype, then traits affecting general behavior, then trais focuusing on specific activities and likes. Right now certain builds feel like "I'm Jen, I love donuts, my gran and picking nose". More depth needed indeed.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes, they need to dial up the traits to 11. The sims all act the same pretty much and this has always bothered me. And, we need more traits. twice as many, really.

Insecure, shy, absent-minded, shallow, selfish, curious, faithful, hyperactive...
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

I have tried the “likes cats”-trait recently and when there was a cat in the household it was quite nice. Interactions and other things that made it feel pretty special. I seldom have pets in my households because they require so much attention and time but with that sim it felt pretty easy. Don’t know how much impact that trait has when there are no cats around.

That said, there are still several things that makes me want to climb the walls when it comes to sims. There are several traits that I feel like they don’t do too much so I feel hesitant to use them on the sims I play often. I do not wish to waste a slot. Art lover has not done much for me, perhaps I missed the details when playing, it has been a while now.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes, I am hoping for a complete trait/personality overhaul. I especially want the traits we have now to be further developed to make them more distinct and have more impact on the behaviour and emotions of our sims. I really miss the depth of TS3 traits e.g. how neat/perfectionist sims were the only ones that automatically made their bed etc. I want a greater variety of interesting traits too e.g. neurotic, brave, brooding, proper, socially awkward, shy, loyal, cultured, eccentric etc. I am also hoping for a fear emotion and likes/dislikes, favourites, memories etc. and turn ons/offs (with a better romance/chemistry system in a Romance GP. I really miss my sim couples cuddling in bed). All of this would really help give sims more personality.
  • RavenchRavench Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2019
    I found this quote written by @Hestia in a thread about the "Bookworm" trait. (Hope you don't mind me crossposting it)
    It pretty much speaks for itself; The Sims 4 traits barely even scratch the surface of something like a personality when compared to The Sims 3 (The Sims 2 as well what with the attraction system and character points)
    And I agree with what they say here as well: "Don't fix what isn't broken!"
    Hestia wrote: »
    I agree. This is an issue with all the traits in general as they don’t affect personalities in such depths as we had back from The Sims 3.

The Sims 3 Bookworm
    Hfg94ux.jpg

The Sims 4 Bookworm
    EjqAnq6.jpg

Unfortunately, TS4 is more about emotions and less about unique personalities. This is why it’s so easy to encounter Sims that barely has any difference to another one with different traits. They are all basically identical.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I agree. Even just preferences/turn on and off aspects would greatly affect interactions between Sims (something that traits used to influence a lot).

For me, it's not necessarily needing more traits, but I'm desperate for Sims to act more like their traits. It can really restrict me from getting in to my story because of how lacking in personality Sims can sometimes be. Like why would my mean Sims go around hugging each other on free will? And a noncommittal sim constantly wants to try for another baby with her husband.
    I now play with a mod which encourages more 'personality' to come through in gameplay and I have noticed a good difference. But these simple gameplay features should have been part of base game. I find I have to use my imagination to fill in some parts of my Sims lives and personality at times instead of the game giving me these features.

@sueplayssims what mod do you use?
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    We definitely do need one. We also need emotions overhaul.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    you forgot the Slob and Glutton trait, they add lot of personality to the sims, I like having sims with both traits, they just eat and fart rinse and repeat. i even have sims who eat meal three time in a row nonstop autonomously thanks to Glutton trait.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    you forgot the Slob and Glutton trait, they add lot of personality to the sims, I like having sims with both traits, they just eat and fart rinse and repeat. i even have sims who eat meal three time in a row nonstop autonomously thanks to Glutton trait.

Those are from the base game, and yes they're good traits. I was talking about the traits that came with the packs.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes, we need more traits. I have to differ with those extolling the virtues of the Sims3 traits. I never found them to be all that they were said to be. For instance, I had a Sim who stomped around all of the time. At first I thought it was her hot-headed trait that made her stomp, (since it was suggested by the EA team, their traits would help define them even down to their walk style). Then I took a better look at the rest of the Sims in that household only to learn they ALL stomped around. None of them behaved according to their traits, with the exception of the Frugal Sim who would often clap hands to cut off the lights, TV or any other electric item in the room being unused. That was funny. But, the rest were lacking. So was the vastly improve AI. My Sims were just as unintelligent as they were in Sims2. Big, Big, disappointment.

I think sometimes nostalgia overtakes us when we're dissatisfied with the here and now, in this case Sims4. I played Sims3 every day, but always had a love/hate relationship with it. It wasn't all it was advertised to be, which was a huge let down. Thankfully, I went into Sims4 less naive. I knew the base game would be bleak, for instance, and wasn't disappointed. What I looked for, was to see if the Sims, themselves, were more fully developed, as in able to autonomously carry on conversations over dinner — which was lacking completely in Sims3. The sad thing is the devs gave everything to the open world, and left the Sims themselves to be little more than pixalated automatons. I'm happy to say Sims4 Sims while different in their antics from Sims2 Sims, are very able to carry on in the background without me. :)

Sorry for the rant, but I do heartily agree we need additional Traits. I'd like to see Retiring (Shy), since we already have its opposite. We need Loud and Quiet, since some people really are those traits. I like what they did with Erratic. At first I was dismayed it was changed out from Insane, but it's better in the long run. My Global Superstar's dear mother is erratic. She's rather funny to watch. I love it when she arbitrarily decides to tell herself a story. She's also prone to removing her clothing and walking around in the altogether despite the fact she has four sons still in the household. :o
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Totally agreed. In addition to adding more traits, they need to actually overhaul them. Right now, traits do nothing but add moodlets. All sims act the same and none of them feel unique because of that. There's no real personality to them, which makes them so incredibly boring. Instead of adding more stuff to the games, they need to update these traits so that the sims actually feel different from each other.
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    I'm very skeptical about them changing the way traits work, but they could add more levels of personality customization. Like, I'd love it if they brought back the zodiac system, linking every sign to a trait, which would give our sim an extra trait. Turn offs and turn ons would also be great.

Plumbella (a sim youtuber) discussed an idea regarding this, how they could keep all the traits but give the option to make some more powerful than others, like if you want to have a sim that is family oriented, but also a loner, you put family oriented as a higher priority so they enjoy being with family members, but not with other people.
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member

Especially since there are those hidden non-trait traits like whether they like or hate fruitcake, or whether they prefer the heat or cold.

For that matter, does anybody know if there's any heritability to the pseudo-traits?
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm a happy TS4 player. That said, I'd welcome adding another trait or two per sim if possible given how many we have now. A pack related to personality is probably one I'd be interested in. I wouldn't want to be able to predict how a sim would react every time though.

I do come up with my own interpretation of how sims react to different events in the game but I'd welcome the opportunity for them to be more reactive and to have more drama, I guess. I've said before that I think there should be a pack for relationships that adds some complexity.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I'm a happy TS4 player. That said, I'd welcome adding another trait or two per sim if possible given how many we have now. A pack related to personality is probably one I'd be interested in. I wouldn't want to be able to predict how a sim would react every time though.

I do come up with my own interpretation of how sims react to different events in the game but I'd welcome the opportunity for them to be more reactive and to have more drama, I guess. I've said before that I think there should be a pack for relationships that adds some complexity.

I personally think personality and relationships are base game material, so they should be added by free updates. EA would be a major 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they made a personality pack (not saying I wouldn't buy it, though).