Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spiral Stairs are [not] coming.

Comments

• Eefje96Eefje96 Posts: 32 Member
    [quote="Morkovka;c-17211226"][quote="AlbaWaterhouse;c-17209941"]
    Or they'll teleport from the ground floor to the top floor, elevator style B) [/quote]

Honestly I'd prefer any way to move to upper floor without building a staircase that takes 5 to 8 squares :)[/quote]

You guys read my mind
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I agree with everyone that when we do get spiral staircases they should be in a patch. I also hope they face two directions (both left and right) and not just one. It was annoying in the past to have spirals that only looked one way and were thus unusable in certain corners or spots.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    If they come they'll probably be in the September Patch.

They'd have to be, because build mode stuff has to be patched in.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    One of the gurus on twitter gave a drawn out maybe (maaaaayyybe) when asked whether there was any surprise coming out for the 5 year anniversary of the Sims 4 game.
    Of the major updates people would like to see (babies, cars, stairs) stairs fit best with the upcoming ROM pack in my opinion. So maybe?
  • Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    I had completely forgotten about this poll from last May. https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/status/996413522962661377
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    well that's sad.

moving on i guess
    y'all got bread?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Yes, there will be spiral stairs. The twist: only young adults can use them.

I died :D:D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member

Honestly, the fact that the team is willing to say a hard "no" on spiral stairs, but wasn't willing to give a hard no on other stairs or improved split-leveling gets my hopes up.

It makes sense that a build system that allows for "real" split level would also allow for U- L- and landing stairs, considering how they are constructed.

Fingers crossed for a build mode update, even if spiral stairs and ladders aren't part if.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    edited August 2019
    The main problem with any but straight stairs is probably in the fact that TS4 allows different wall heights. In TS3, when this was not the case, it was easier - they just made a spiral staircase, set it up to stack, and that was it.
    Now, they'd need to code the behavior for how they work with different wall height. In case of spiral that'd make a full circle on normal-height wall, it'd go to 1,5 circle on the higher wall, which might cause issues for how to set up where the 'exit point' is as it would not be directly aboe the start point.

Ladders might be easier as they take just one spot and - as we've seen with the 'sea ladder', can stretch easily.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

Honestly, the fact that the team is willing to say a hard "no" on spiral stairs, but wasn't willing to give a hard no on other stairs or improved split-leveling gets my hopes up.

It makes sense that a build system that allows for "real" split level would also allow for U- L- and landing stairs, considering how they are constructed.

Fingers crossed for a build mode update, even if spiral stairs and ladders aren't part if.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're getting a proper split-leveling update for this one. One of the gurus confirmed that the cauldron room in the trailer is done via the foundation trick and not actual split level :(

So not this time, but hopefully soon.
  • Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

I did ask about stair related tools, like stair landings but I haven't gotten an answer yet. I just can't imagine any builder who wouldn't want to have more stair options in the game.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    Lol OP, edit the title to "Spiral Stairs are NOT Coming???"
    @TheIntrovertSimmer
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    Well, Realm of Magic would be a great pack to include them in!!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019
    If it's not coming in this pack which they are eminently suitable for, and will be coming in the future, what pack are they saving spiral stairs for?
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    If it's not coming in this pack which they are eminently suitable for, and will be coming in the future, what pack are they saving spiral stairs for?

H O P E F U L L Y they are not saving them for a pack and they will be patched into the base game.

Maybe with University? They’d fit in well in a University library. Or maybe they forgot about them, but this clamor over them will make them go “oh bugs, we gotta do that now” (like with the Strangerville table photo, lol) and we’ll see them in a few months. :P

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Good on them for being straight forward, I guess, but sending that first Tweet out was very messed up, given it reads exactly like a subtle confirmation.
  • halihali Posts: 66 Member
    Two different simgurus. At least @SimGuruNinja did those of us who got our hopes up a kindness by being plainly honest. Now, no one has to wonder or hold onto false hope with regards to RoM's release and its pre-release update; for that I'm grateful.
    (If @SimGuruRomeo ever sees this thread- your teasing wasn't kind....low-key hope that fake ice cream snack cart visits your personal office/cubicle but SimguruNinja gets real ice cream.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9dLmDjVUAEdIjv.jpg)

@TomasGrizzly was perceptive to reason that adjustable wall heights are probably one of the factors to not being able to feature spiral staircases in TS4 thus far.

I'm guessing to animate toddlers, children, the other four stages of life, dogs and cats, drones, the upcoming drone-like familiars of RoM (as SimGuruRomeo described them), and whatever other asset/feature may be coming in the future is complicated/difficult to do well (given the game's limitations/constraints). Snow with no variation of depth was a challenge for the team to figure out. I'm guessing winding staircases that need to be able to accommodate varying wall heights and possible terrain manipulation is challenging to figure out as well. ?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I wish they could be more direct every time someone asks them.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I knew already that we're not getting spiral staircases but I'm still disappointed. They go so well with castles and towers.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I could see a solution for us to build our own spiral stairs if Maxis made various small parts for it and we put them one upon another until the desired height or floor above is reached - like building blocks make a tower. I know nothing about programming though as you can see. :/
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    Do maxis actually read and listen to what their customers want?
    People have been screaming out for certain packs and spiral stairs for God knows how long and yet maxis just keep giving us rehashed half baked packs..
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    mock68 wrote: »
    People have been screaming out for certain packs and spiral stairs for God knows how long and yet maxis just keep giving us rehashed half baked packs..

I think we haven't gotten spiral stairs yet because The Sims 4 allows for adjusted wall heights. a lot of coding has to go into them to make sure they work right and, on top of that, the top has to be even with the bottom. It's difficult.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    mock68 wrote: »

I think we haven't gotten spiral stairs yet because The Sims 4 allows for adjusted wall heights. a lot of coding has to go into them to make sure they work right and, on top of that, the top has to be even with the bottom. It's difficult.

I don't think the top and bottom must necessarily be on the same place but the flexible heights and stacking (which is the main advantage) can be definitely a trouble: it'd need to allow spiral staircases of different heights to be stacked.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.