Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Bookworm trait

CheiriPixieCheiriPixie Posts: 80 Member
Is it just me or you agree this trait is completely useless? I mean the interaction options are great and I am all in for analyzing a book for an extra boost.. but it seems somehow very lacking and "incomplete". Sure, not all bookworms would like to be authors but it would be nice if there was a tracking system to what books you have read or a collectable. I usually never really bother with my sim reading (except if they are on the writing career or just to get my aspiration through) and that is a shame since there is alot of books out there in the world.

It would be nice if it was more easier to track of what books you have / have read / left to collect / or atleast see the list of books you have published instead of waiting 10am for royalites / be able to buy your own books / other playable households are able to buy books written by previous playable household (same world )

Or am I missing something?

Comments

• HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    @PrincipleOfEntropy To add, Sims can easily get emotion boosts for skills with a potion. :) They're not that expensive too.

@CheiriPixie Yep. It sure is.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I definitely agree the writing aspect of the game is lacking in comparison to S3. I think that's due in part to how laggy the game would become if a household of writers had a ton of books. At least that was my experience, and most of my sims were writers in S3. It's a stark contrast though in that picture with them side by side by how little attention was given to the bookworm trait and it saddens me. I hadn't really thought about before.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    They could do with an overhaul of the entire traits system. Sadly, this game was very lacking when it came out and things that have not been updated since are still lacking.

If they are going to continue with 4 for a few more years then they should really update and improve on aspects like that.
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    Honestly, I think the bookworm trait does nothing. Any sim will end up reading one book after another if there's nothing else to do and even if there is they will just randomly end up picking up a book and read it anyway.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i'd like a whole overhaul on the entire system, the traits, likes and dislikes, attraction with turn offs and turn ons. the whole thing needs to be redone, and more hobbies need to be included.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Have the fixed the issue where Sims will quit reading a book shortly after they start?
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't think it's entirely useless or at least no more than most, but I agree that a complete trait/personality overhaul would really help make traits like bookworm feel and look more distinct. I want all the traits to have more impact on behaviour and emotions. I miss a lot of the trait features from TS3 like how neat/perfectionist sims were the only ones that automatically made their bed, neurotic sims were calmed after checking things and washing their hands etc.
  • sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    i'd like a whole overhaul on the entire system, the traits, likes and dislikes, attraction with turn offs and turn ons. the whole thing needs to be redone, and more hobbies need to be included.

Completely agree. I choose my sims' traits by randomly rolling, but whenever I get bookworm it just always seems so dull and pointless. Traits do not really add personality or story direction in TS4 which is a real shame.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I just wish that bookworms gained fun while writing. I hate it when I'm so close to finishing a book, then suddenly the sim is tense because of lack of fun and I have to stop!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I just wish that bookworms gained fun while writing. I hate it when I'm so close to finishing a book, then suddenly the sim is tense because of lack of fun and I have to stop!

That would be a great change. The bookworm trait and writing skill could definitely do with some improvements.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    @nerdfashion if you have the fitness SP use the headphones and have them listen to music while they write. Provides them fun and keeps them writing longer. I think it does make the task take longer because of the doing two things at once, but it's a trade off I guess. I do, however, totally agree that a bookworm writing should enjoy what they're doing.
    Sims 4 Blog
    @nerdfashion if you have the fitness SP use the headphones and have them listen to music while they write. Provides them fun and keeps them writing longer. I think it does make the task take longer because of the doing two things at once, but it's a trade off I guess. I do, however, totally agree that a bookworm writing should enjoy what they're doing.

Unfortunately, I do not have the Fitness Stuff Pack. I 100% would have done this if I had!
    funny-gifs20.gif

I also will put radios in my sims' study's as well.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member

Unfortunately, I do not have the Fitness Stuff Pack. I 100% would have done this if I had!

Radios work as well.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    As a card-carrying member of the librarly party, avid bookworm, and writer I agree whole-heartedly with the above. EA is quite missing the boat in all aspects, and that side by side comparison is both illuminating and sad. As far as getting tense goes, I find it the opposite. When I'm in the groove, the words are flowing and the book seems to write itself, it's a rush and beyond fun.

The whole system needs a major overhaul. Compared to 2 & 3 how it now is is so shallow and lackluster. Just enough window dressing to claim they've done somethig.
  • CheiriPixieCheiriPixie Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hestia wrote: »
    There is also a special book that only Bookworms can write.

8GGb2Zf.png

A skill journal that tracks things.

T1eLdpQ.png
    Oh I miss that journal one! I was really hoping The Sims 4 did something at least have close.

It's just sad sometimes especially since we know for a fact that the company can do better because they have given us better before.
    Post edited by CheiriPixie on
    Stina1701A wrote: »

Radios work as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I posted that comment @Stina1701A
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    If you have a lot of images to post can you use Spoilers please. It gets a bit much, especially if people quote again, when looking at the forum on a smartphone. (Next to the emoji icon and bottom of the Format choices.)
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I enjoyed the whim to read '50' or '100' books in S3, but I still had trouble keeping track of which books they'd read. I'd have to keep all the unread books in their inventory and the read books in the bookshelf to keep them separate.

I've noticed (in S4) that some non-skill books don't have a little circle indicating progress while reading, so if your Sim has a whim to read a book or needs to read a book for an aspiration, it doesn't count. It seems to be a variety of genres, and the books for children don't count for adults, even if your Sim has the 'childish' trait.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited August 2019
    Alright I've removed some posts in here comparing different games, with the rule update recently it was made a rule that comparisons need dedicated threads, derailing threads that are not about comparing games is against the rules. Let's keep this on topic please.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2019
    it's just not fun playing with this trait, it barely does anything, also a sim cant just reading a book in silent without getting distracted by other sims or moving from one place to another.
    ihavemultiplegamertags