March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apartments are really neat. Prefer them to starter houses, when im not using $ cheats.

EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
I love apartments for single sims and I greatly prefer a starter apartment to a starter home. San myshuno is semi open and very nice. Im finally starting to have a play style figured out. As im not one of those people who like to jump right into child rearing the second i turn the game on, I quite enjoy having my sims live in apartments and hold off having children until later in life.

Thats how I play my fun (but strictly no cheats save). But if I get the desire to play with families i would rather just put them into a large family home, not a starter. Just wanted to share my enjoyment of apartments since City Living debuted so long ago.
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."

Comments

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    *high five* Apartments are neat.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    *high five* Apartments are neat.

They are so fun to decorate! Because unlike a 30x20 or so family house you can decorate them so quickly and see most all the decor in one tight space . its cool :)
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I love the apartments, I just wish we could build apartment complexes ourselves. Like you, I don't always want to jump into the childbearing years, and apartments are a great way to save money for the responsible sim who doesn't want to raise kids like their hair is caught on fire. :D I suppose a work-around for this would be if we could rent houses rather than own them, but that implies a larger financial system the game doesn't have (but I would enjoy seeing implemented as well).
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I like starting off Sims in apartments too until they grow out of it or can afford another home. I find I decorate apartments in a more unique way as well as I'm limited on space so can't just drop items in.
    The idea of renting or a mortgage system is interesting. I don't like using cheats in my game, so this would be a good way of moving Sims in to homes that would be best for the plans I have for them.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I think I would like them a lot more if they didn't have those annoying lot traits. I've only played in one apartment so far and it endlessly had mice, roaches and leaking pipes. My sim was always having to call the landlord to come fix things.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I also find them giving a good life for my single Sims. You have to select your Sim's apartment carefully avoiding all the grotty and ghostly ones, unless you want to put your Sim there to get some experience of the hard life! That might suit a rags to riches playstyle. I loved redesigning the insides for my Sims with the later pack additions. I've moved my Sims to Sulani at the moment but might go back. :)
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I would like apartments if only I could shut off the noisy neighbours.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    I love apartments but I hate the neighbours and their tendency to party at 3 A.M. almost every night. Also, I wish more apartments came with balconies and without that TLC lot trait.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I love apartments but I hate the neighbours and their tendency to party at 3 A.M. almost every night. Also, I wish more apartments came with balconies and without that TLC lot trait.

probably because my sims neighbor is also my own sim. but she has not been a noisy neighbor *knock on wood*
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I agree. I usually don't have my sims live in houses until they're married.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I love apartments for single sims and I greatly prefer a starter apartment to a starter home. San myshuno is semi open and very nice. Im finally starting to have a play style figured out. As im not one of those people who like to jump right into child rearing the second i turn the game on, I quite enjoy having my sims live in apartments and hold off having children until later in life.

Thats how I play my fun (but strictly no cheats save). But if I get the desire to play with families i would rather just put them into a large family home, not a starter. Just wanted to share my enjoyment of apartments since City Living debuted so long ago.
    LOL when I got Strangerville my sims didn't have kids until I had them solve the mystery, By then the husband was close to finishing the military career and the wife had a freelancer painting job and on the side she actually painted.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I didn’t even buy the base game until apartments came out. I’m not playing them in my current save because it’s set for n the past, but I love ❤️ apartments!
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    They're not my favourite due to lack of customisation, but they make a nice change and I do enjoy being able to keep the thermostat on 24/7 and it not affect my bills. ;)
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    The apartments are excellent! It's a fun challenge to see how you can redesign an apartment to your liking within the confines of the outer walls. Plus, the city has so much happening that it's never dull, between neighbors and neighborhood events. I love the lots that need TLC, it adds a great extra layer to dealing with apartment life and added difficulty when you're just starting a sim out. I also think it's fun to see how many sims you can reasonably cram into a tiny apartment space, if for example, the family begins to grow before the budget for a bigger place does.

Right now, I'm playing a baker. She works part time as a barista in the mornings, then bakes all day and sells her goods at a table in the Spice District. One day, maybe she'll be able to buy a storefront bakery, but with her income so far, it's going to be tough. On top of the bakery dream, she wants a big family, but I suspect that won't happen for a very long time at this rate. It's a struggle, and it's a lot of fun, on top of the apartment living situations she gets into. The gameplay itself feels very natural.

So yeah, apartments are very excellent!
    a63ftuN.png
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I really like apartments too, I think they're the best iteration we've had for the Sims.

Things I like:
    • The aesthetic - The bright colours and bold patterns look so good!
    • How quick and easy they are to decorate.
    • That rent doesn't go up, ever.
    • Being able to give another Sim a key to your apartment.
    • The lot traits.
    • Festivals that happen outside of your apartment - I particularly enjoy the spice festival.

Things I don't like:
    • That some existing lot traits can't be removed.
    • That you can't edit the building - I'm not so bothered about the outside, but I always feel the lobby areas could do with sprucing up.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I like apartments but hardly ever play any in Sims 4 because we cannot place them in other worlds. I am not a city dweller type player so only having apts in the City - well I only use the city as a place to go. I like the festivals and the City Sims for making friends with, just do not want my Sims living there. Would love to get buildable apts to use anywhere.

I don't use cheats, CC, or mods so suggesting to have pretend apts is also not a solution. I just go with out and only place Sims for friendships that i never play with otherwise in the CL apts.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have 7 or 8 households in the apartments in San Myshuno. It's a popular place for young sims to start out because renting is generally cheaper than buying and it's good place while they are figuring themselves out. Some households have stayed there. The Rasoyas and Benalis both still live there. (Raj died a while ago but he had 5 kids who are now at various stages of grown up.) I have some other sims that are a mix of townies that I made playable and sims I created.

I guess that some of the households in my game have been dealing with generational societal assimilation. That's definitely the case in San Myshuno.

Some of my sims do move into small houses in the different neighborhoods or inherit from their parents. It's kind of a free-for-all of different sim personalities but that keeps things interesting. At any given time, I know the back stories of the sims who are wandering around on the street. I wouldn't start this game over like that if I had to start over because it's complicated and involved, but it's fun the way that I have it.

I haven't played with Sulani or those sims at all. (I just went for the sale). I will check them out and see how they get incorporated in my game. There's a nearly even split in my game between households in Willow Creek, San Myshuno and Windenburg with a few in Oasis Springs and a few others scattered around.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I did try roommates in CL apts when the ep first came out for a bit - and if it hadn't been for the constant noise I probably would have enjoyed it more - so instead I made a few houses sort done like a rooming house with roommates and liked that a lot better.

I still enjoy my Sims hanging out in My Shuno - going to festivals, parties, and clubs on days off from work. I also like my sims keeping a lot of their old ties but when Strangerville came out I did start a new save and then also started one in Sulani as well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    I love apartaments. I wish they were not exclusive tô San Myshuno, and we had at least one new neighborhood in each new world containing apartments. Del Sol Valley could have made a great use of apartments... New Crest has apartments on the horizon... I don't see why they should be contained to City Living. That Pack is more about living in a huge Metropolitan city with different culturas than in apartments itself.