Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your opinion on custom gallery poses?

Comments

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I dislike the custom poses.
    Although custom poses are really attention-grabbing on the gallery, I dislike them and won't download Sims using custom poses. I'm pretty sure it doesn't download anything but the Sim, but it's an advantage the rest of us don't have, and it feels like making a business of things instead of just sharing things for fun.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I like the custom poses.
    Although custom poses are really attention-grabbing on the gallery, I dislike them and won't download Sims using custom poses. I'm pretty sure it doesn't download anything but the Sim, but it's an advantage the rest of us don't have, and it feels like making a business of things instead of just sharing things for fun.

How is it "like a business" any more than other custom content? @phantasmkiss
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
    Custom poses are custom content. I don't know much about them though, so I don't think I'll make an argument. From my limited understanding, if you download lots/sims from the gallery which have custom content, you're also downloading the custom content files?

I don't like to upload anything modded so that it's usable for as many people as possible. I generally play without mods or custom content because I turn it off when I build. There's an entire world of cc and mods that I know nothing about, and I don't have any issues with other people's decisions to get more involved with it all, to make it, or to use it. It's beyond me though, and I think it's okay to stay out of cc, too.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    I like the custom poses.
    Custom poses are custom content. I don't know much about them though, so I don't think I'll make an argument. From my limited understanding, if you download lots/sims from the gallery which have custom content, you're also downloading the custom content files?

I don't like to upload anything modded so that it's usable for as many people as possible. I generally play without mods or custom content because I turn it off when I build. There's an entire world of cc and mods that I know nothing about, and I don't have any issues with other people's decisions to get more involved with it all, to make it, or to use it. It's beyond me though, and I think it's okay to stay out of cc, too.

When a player downloads a sim that is pictured with a pose, nothing transfers to their computer besides the sim.
    Then I guess custom poses are not custom content, which is why the gallery allows them. I'm still allowed to not like custom poses, though.
    4TJdLHA.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think it makes it look like the people who are making the sim tried too hard. The EA poses are fine, it's not like it's all that important. Course, if it weren't for these poses, I might have never started making my own sims.

I could say the same thing about cc in general though. I make plenty of sims who look nicer than many sims I see online that have a ton of cc . And yet other still use cc, regardless of non cc Maxis stuff being "just fine". Because customization is fun and sims are seen closer up with most poses.

I feel the same way about CC. No need to go criticizing everyone who disagrees with you on this thread.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited August 2019
    I like the custom poses.
    I like the custom poses mostly because they feature close up shots of Sims. Maybe it should be an automatic feature for everyone to use. I also recently downloaded a custom posed gallery"celebrity Sim" with a whole lot of CC (skin tone, eyes, hair,etc) but was pleasantly surprised that despite all the CC being removed including the clothes, the Sim still looked a lot like the celebrity they created in the custom pose. In fact, thus far, only a handful of gallery Sims with some CC added didn't look too great as they did like in the pose shot once they were downloaded.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    I don't like them. I refuse to download anything that has them and I think they should be labelled as CC.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    They are annoying to see in the gallery. I prefer if we had the option to completely turn it off.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    technically I don't care since I hardly download sims from gallery other than maxis ones for my premade save

but on other hand I don't think they look nice either and often make sims appear "self absorbed" so to speak
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CheiriPixieCheiriPixie Posts: 80 Member
    I like them sometimes, and other times I don't.
    I use poses but usually only close ups of facial just to show the sims features aka. The real deal before other users downloading and getting disappointed that it doesnt look as expected.

The ones provided by the game have silly facial expressions and most of the time you can barely even see what the sim looks like from a distance.

I like the custom poses.
    I think it makes it look like the people who are making the sim tried too hard. The EA poses are fine, it's not like it's all that important. Course, if it weren't for these poses, I might have never started making my own sims.

I could say the same thing about cc in general though. I make plenty of sims who look nicer than many sims I see online that have a ton of cc . And yet other still use cc, regardless of non cc Maxis stuff being "just fine". Because customization is fun and sims are seen closer up with most poses.

I feel the same way about CC. No need to go criticizing everyone who disagrees with you on this thread.

Im not criticizing any one "person". This is a discussion thread. Im discussing it. Im just confused about the big deal over using cc poses. The sims pose anyway, its just people who dont like the awkward and nerdy default poses use fan made ones instead.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I never download sims from the gallery, only certain lots if they will save me time and offer an interesting architectural style that fits in my particular game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    The custom poses operate very much like T.V. and print advertisements do. The point is to get the viewers attention and then sell the product. In this case the poses are used to get more downloads for the creator. I never download posed sims.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    They're awful, imo. But somehow they're so popular it makes creators like me who don't use them get very little views/downloads. :(
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I don't care one way or the other.

No, when you download Sims or Lots with custom content you don't get the custom content. You have to download that separate if you want your sim or lot to look like it does in the gallery. For example if you don't load a Sim with custom content hair and you don't have that custom content already you'll get a bald Sim or send that replaces the hair with something from your game.
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I really don't think that CC poses should flag the actual sim as having CC on (if they don't, obviously). However, I find that certain poses may be stretching the "T" rating just a bit, and thus marking sims that use poses as having CC might prevent younger players from encountering these unrated (in the literal sense of the word (not R rated)) poses.
    I personally think that most poses are fine. They make the sims look less stiff and show off the creator's work better. However, I also find certain close-up poses make it very difficult to see most of the sim, and thus makes it harder to see if I want to download that sim.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    It took me a long time to figure out what you guys were even talking about because I didn't know you can cc poses for the gallery. Now That I think of it I kinda of never paid it much attention but sometimes I wondered how a sim got certain poses lol. Sometimes it does make the sim look better than they are but I don't really care either way. I really don't think that hard about it. I download what I'm looking for and jump back into the game.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

No, when you download Sims or Lots with custom content you don't get the custom content. You have to download that separate if you want your sim or lot to look like it does in the gallery. For example if you don't load a Sim with custom content hair and you don't have that custom content already you'll get a bald Sim or send that replaces the hair with something from your game.

That you don't get the content is not the point. They do it so they will get more downloads because the poses are prettier that EAs poses. No matter how pretty your sim its, it can't compete with the custom poses. Actually these sims are no better than what you can make, it's just the pictures are better.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Also I download sims with cc all the time because even though the cc disappears I just replace it with my own. And 9 out of 10 they come out looking just as good or better. I look at those cc sims as an advertisement showing what he or she could "potentially" look like.
    And like I said I never put that much attention on it but I dont recall seeing any near R rated poses.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »

That you don't get the content is not the point. They do it so they will get more downloads because the poses are prettier that EAs poses. No matter how pretty your sim its, it can't compete with the custom poses. Actually these sims are no better than what you can make, it's just the pictures are better.

I know it wasn't the point. I wasn't responding to the point. I was responding to the person saying they get the cc so that they knew they don't.

As for the poses I don't care. I don't use CC myself and I think that's somewhat better and some look worse but I really don't care if people use them or not. It doesn't make me any more or less likely to download the SIM.
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    They are very distracting and not in a good way, I find they make the Sims look a lot like their on a dating website than a game lol It just looks a bit creepy
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    I'm just tired of the armpit sniffing pose. I think you all know what I'm talking about. Just stop using that one and we can all be right with each other.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I'm not a fan, only because they make the sim look different than they end up looking in game, so it makes it harder for me to decide whether I like and want to use them or not. Not that it's a deal breaker, but more than once I've downloaded a sim with a custom pose in the gallery who looks QUITE different once actually in CAS and I end up nixing using them cause it turns out they weren't quite what I was looking for, so sometimes when I'm in a mood to not be bothered I won't even consider any with custom poses cause I don't want to risk it.
    I've learned a lot in this thread.

On the Sims 3 exchange, downloading a Sim that used cc downloaded the cc too, so I'm glad to learn it doesn't work that way here. I mean, I got a lot of good cc that way, but I also got some stuff that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of.

I still don't like custom poses, for the same reasons that a lot of people don't like them. Say you have two identical Sims. One uses the custom pose and one uses the default pose. Custom is going to get a lot more downloads because it looks better. I'm going to support the little guy.
    4TJdLHA.png