March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't TS4 inclusive of family players?

Comments

• HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    @Simburian If the case is that you do have knowledge about the history of The Sims and Harry Potter, then why make this comment? It hints the implication of ROM basing itself on Harry Potter. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if we were to compare a Sims series that had this feature rather than something unrelated to this series? :)
    I'm not a particular fan of Harry Potter but aren't children banned from using magic in the real world in that series so what's the use of giving them magic powers before they can get into the Realm of Magic anyway? There is only one resident magic family in the magic realm. We don't yet know what children will be getting yet.

This just looks like another made up stick to beat Maxis with. The bloodline looks to be the most useful way of getting them into magic. Magic throughout would make my own games a mess and it is best to keep it confined in some way.

If Simmers want a Harry Potter Sim type world why don't they petition J.K.Rowling for it? This is a serious suggestion! I've always wanted a Terry Pratchett's Diskworld one myself. :)
    Thank you for your arrogant reply. I do know about the history of Sims and Harry Potter, thank you. I was there at the beginning of a hell of a lot more "magic" stuff in games and books than you probably, being an 'elder' and starting with a Spectrum in the '80s, multiple PCs, games and The Sims when it first came out.

You complain about Maxis not copying "The Sims" but others complain about Maxis copying from other iterations so they cannot win can they? They are trying something new and if they don't want kids to do magic they probably have very good reasons for it. I happen to like that I won't have to bother with kids being more bothersome than they are now.

Why can't you ask a Guru on Twitch? You might get an answer why.
    I wouldn't be very much surprised if they add a Stuff pack later for them. It's how kids get gameplay added these days.

I can't speak for everyone, but wouldn't it be weird for people to simply complain about "copying"? I think people are moreover asking for the same experience in addition to expanded creative gameplay. It's not new that children can't do magic. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 didn't allow this. Only The Sims 1 did. If anything, this is going backward rather than expanding on what we had.

Making us pay extra for features that should have been a part of a free patch or a larger DLC (EP/GP) isn't something "new" for The Sims Studio that works on TS4. That doesn't necessarily mean that people can't critique about it and say that it isn't an ethical way to make money or treat a fan base that keeps these series so close to their heart. SimGurus don't exactly answer anything related to gameplay features or upcoming content via Twitch. They've mentioned this many times during their live streams either straight from their words in the stream or on Twitch chat.

I think EA are very wary about its' Teen rating and upsetting groups that create major fusses if anything magic is done for kids and I can understand why. They probably learned something about this after 'Makin' magic' and that is why they are wary. Magic in all its' forms is a major factor for a lot of people all over the world, they are very vocal and have high status in their communities. Some countries burn Harry Potter books remember.

Sims Community got a reminder of this feeling from a message this week.

EA made the Harry Potter games for the HP franchise - they know how it work with HP and kids - so not surprised that kids can't go all wizard on any one that angers them and such.

@Writin_Reg The initial release date for the very first Harry Potter game was way back in 2001. A year after The Sims 1 was originally released.

There is no need to get all political about magic. This is a simulation game with weirdness and fantasy. So far, The Sims 4 within its 5 years of release has the least amount of occult life-states available from the entire franchise. It is odd enough to speculate that children who descend from blood-sucking humanoids are accepted by EA but spell-casting children are not.

Unless EA themselves releases an actual statement on why children can’t do magic with reasons because of conspiracies or other political reasons, I wouldn’t hold my breath to believe it.

“What is presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.”
    Post edited by Hestia on
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    The reason kids can't do magic is because it would take creating more new animations.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    The reason kids can't do magic is because it would take creating more new animations.

That's the valid reason.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2019
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Well it showns, when there's not even incentive to allow magic for children. Does have some validity by the response, but as a counterargument in some magic-theme creative outlet (Harry Potter for instance) magic wasn't just exclusive to anyone above 12 year old. (Lol, you can't even portray early teens because of giant height transition). Not to mention, it doesn't help for players who been asking for more fun interactions for children. Why not at least include some of it through packs? Been a long time (children SP) since those lil Sims to preoccupy there time on, other than worn-out BG activities.

Well, can't say I'm surprised. Really, I don't understand why it seems like there is very little desire to do anything for children in anything other that a pack dedicated to them. And it's not like the children in TS4 are super young. If they were meant to be like 6, maybe I could understand it, but the children in TS4 look dang near 10 years old. Surely they could be able to do some form of magic. I literally couldn't care less about magic in the game, but it's still annoying to me how for the past year we've gotten several packs where they could have done more for children and toddlers, but they outright seem to be choosing not to for no good reason.

Not to mention sims 4 kids can do laundry. They can stay out all night with no consequence, skip school to hang out at night clubs “as night clubs are acceptable locations for the children” - a guru told me- and they stay home alone all day whilst their parents are off the lot.

But they can’t do do magic.

A guru told you that? Exactly that?

Yes. Sim Guru Nick told me that on twitter round about just after the bug of random children calling adult sims to hang out was fixed - I asked him on twitter what my sim kids were asking other kids to nightclubs to play hooky and he said a nightclub an “appropriate venue for children.” I beg your pardon, that was his phrasing. I was shocked. I expected it to be a bug!

This was in October 2017. I dont have the screenshot anymore but if you search on twitter it can be found

I found it. To keep things in context, he was explaining that the game chooses from a random list of supported venues. In the game, children were allowed at nightclubs/bars. (They'd have to be in order to go bowling.) He wasn't exactly saying that he thinks nightclubs and bars are appropriate for children.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited August 2019

In my honest opinion they should just come out and say they dont want to create more animations and quit wasting everyone's time.
    Kids having no access to occult powers is a strong reason why I dont really play occult families. Why should I waste time with them? Kids born as occults immediately get aged up to teen just so that they can do something. Im fine with them not having full access, but they're not normal kids. They shouldnt be indistinguishable from normal kids, minus pointy ears or an unnatural skin color. I want occult kids to do something in relation to their supernatural heritage. Otherwise, why bother playing them at all if they can't do anything? Why even designate them as an occult? They sure dont act like one.
    Well it showns, when there's not even incentive to allow magic for children. Does have some validity by the response, but as a counterargument in some magic-theme creative outlet (Harry Potter for instance) magic wasn't just exclusive to anyone above 12 year old. (Lol, you can't even portray early teens because of giant height transition). Not to mention, it doesn't help for players who been asking for more fun interactions for children. Why not at least include some of it through packs? Been a long time (children SP) since those lil Sims to preoccupy there time on, other than worn-out BG activities.

Well, can't say I'm surprised. Really, I don't understand why it seems like there is very little desire to do anything for children in anything other that a pack dedicated to them. And it's not like the children in TS4 are super young. If they were meant to be like 6, maybe I could understand it, but the children in TS4 look dang near 10 years old. Surely they could be able to do some form of magic. I literally couldn't care less about magic in the game, but it's still annoying to me how for the past year we've gotten several packs where they could have done more for children and toddlers, but they outright seem to be choosing not to for no good reason.

Not to mention sims 4 kids can do laundry. They can stay out all night with no consequence, skip school to hang out at night clubs “as night clubs are acceptable locations for the children” - a guru told me- and they stay home alone all day whilst their parents are off the lot.

Yes. Sim Guru Nick told me that on twitter round about just after the bug of random children calling adult sims to hang out was fixed - I asked him on twitter what my sim kids were asking other kids to nightclubs to play hooky and he said a nightclub an “appropriate venue for children.” I beg your pardon, that was his phrasing. I was shocked. I expected it to be a bug!

This was in October 2017. I dont have the screenshot anymore but if you search on twitter it can be found

I found it. To keep things in context, he was explaining that the game chooses from a random list of supported venues. In the game, children were allowed at nightclubs/bars. (They'd have to be in order to go bowling.) He wasn't exactly saying that he thinks nightclubs and bars are appropriate for children.

I am so disgusted at this tweet. People are complaining about the brawl day or how annoying it is when “random events happen”. This. This entirety is the issue of this franchise.

Too much SJW crunchy mom pandering.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019

Please explain to me the difference between acceptable and appropriate here? When you allow kids somewhere, you thereby consider it appropriate (or I should hope, the alternative would be kind of fishy: yes, we allow it but nooo, of course it’s not appropriate). They created the game and the game lists nightclubs as ‘actually’ acceptable for kids. That’s him exactly saying just that, that he (or at least the creators of the game) considers a nightclub an acceptable (and therefor appropriate) place for kids to hang out. That it is not a bug.
    5JZ57S6.png
    That tweet also further proves lazy game design.

They could have just added in a bowling venue type or movie theater. We need those two venues...and they definitely should add a mechanic where children are not allowed to roam around bar or nightclub venue types with some form of age restriction.

Children in this game are considered between 6 yrs -> 14 yrs at least. I am very concerned that it is an “allowed” game mechanic.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member

On that note, I still don't understand why they're so against creating a new animations for children and toddlers in the packs when teens-elders all share the same ones. Once you do one of one group, all of the rest are covered. Realistically, they should be able to spend more time on unique animations for the kids and toddlers, yet instead we get the exact opposite. I don't get it; especially when we're always seeing ads saying that they're hiring more animators. :/
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member

Too much SJW crunchy mom pandering.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how exactly do SJW's cause sim kids to end up (inappropriately) in Night Clubs? Pretty sure a lot of them would actually agree with you (myself included) that it's not at all cool to have this happen deliberately.

Also, re the tweet, I don't know how it works in America, but I've never seen a nightclub with a bowling alley attached. I have seen a bowling alley with a bar inside, but they're obvs not the main attraction of the venue. Maybe there's a bar with a bowling alley attached (somewhere?), but the drinking is the main feature there, rather than the bowling, so still not kid appropriate. This is not the kind of 'inclusive' 'family-unfriendly' play I'm after Devs!
    @silentcyborg I meant by, the other features that we are limited to or don’t have. Not specifically why nightclubs allow children. My apologies if that wasn’t clear!
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    the kids cant drink at the bar so if you don't like your sims kids going there don't take them there and stop trying to ruin the game for other people by taking yet more things out of the game also this is taking the thread off topic this is suppose to be a thread about adding more things to the game for family players not removing things some people don't like I get the kids milkshakes at the bar in game and they enjoy dancing at the nightclub
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    @comicsforlife Hi. Please don't take it the wrong way. It is in fact disgusting to think it is OK for children to go to nightclubs and bars. I've also added in suggestions for kids to hang out in and have fun on community lots without the need to visit bars or nightclubs.

They could have just added in a bowling venue type or movie theater. We need those two venues...and they definitely should add a mechanic where children are not allowed to roam around bar or nightclub venue types with some form of age restriction.

Children in this game are considered between 6 yrs -> 14 yrs at least. I am very concerned that it is an “allowed” game mechanic.

Please don't come in here purposely to add in no relevant content just to get it closed. I've seen this happen numerous times on threads that are incredibly informative. The topic is sticking to what it is if you read this entire page carefully.

Everyone has a right to voice their concerns. If this thread isn't for you and you would like to be a part of "happy" threads without any feedback or criticism, there are others you can choose from. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    edited August 2019
    @comicsforlife Rather than have kids go to bars (and on-topic), it would be awesome to see the devs add in kid-friendly places such as a PCYC-like venue (not sure if they're still popular for aussie kids, or what the us equivalent is). I never went, but they advertise classes (and if I'm remembering right, parties), which would be a great opportunity to make use of the dance/fitness skills for kids. To help with more inclusive family play, parents could encourage kids to do well, take kids there, and watch their kids perform among other things. Also totally agree with your suggestion @Hestia of adding movie theatres or a proper bowling venue - I don't know why they were left out in the first place.
    edited August 2019
    @silentcyborg Combining with what you've suggested and mine:

- Youth Club (This would be so awesome)
    - Bowling venue
    - Movie Theater
    - Playgrounds or Play Areas
    - Waterparks
    - Treetops or jungle gyms.
    - Trampolines.
    - Local sporting event.
    - Gardening (Why can't kids do this in TS4?)
    - Mini Golf
    - Dance classes or dance venues that offer classes.
    - Board games
    - Card games
    - Hula hoop
    - Frisbee with dogs
    - Kite flying
    - Tug of war and other sandpit activities.
    - Jump rope
    - Stargazing with more than two Sims.
    - Glow in the dark activities or venues.
    - Hot springs
    - Bicycling
    - Jogging (Why can't kids in TS4 do this?)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I would love it if we could have like full blown birthday parties where guest actually bring gifts, party games, several cake options, party type snacks
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

edited August 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Please explain to me the difference between acceptable and appropriate here? When you allow kids somewhere, you thereby consider it appropriate (or I should hope, the alternative would be kind of fishy: yes, we allow it but nooo, of course it’s not appropriate). They created the game and the game lists nightclubs as ‘actually’ acceptable for kids. That’s him exactly saying just that, that he (or at least the creators of the game) considers a nightclub an acceptable (and therefor appropriate) place for kids to hang out. That it is not a bug.

The difference is context. He was only explaining how it works in the game (and there are reasons.) You're attaching more to his words than what was said.

Now, I don't know for what reasons nightclubs/bars are allowed, but one possible explanation is that those two venues are where the bowling alleys are placed. (Bowling Stuff had come out some months before.) Because children can bowl in the game= they must be allowed at those venues (in the game.)

I think the actual bug was children inviting adults out, and vice versa, which I believe was finally fixed. And I never see kids appear autonomously at those two venues, either. (Unless there's a bowling alley, I think?) So that part should no longer be an issue. However, the possibility to take kids to those venues is still enabled for the player so we have that choice. Maybe I want to play a deviant kid. You can send your kids out in the middle of the night, and the game won't tell you it's wrong. It is up to the player to play how he/she wants, set curfews, etc. It gives us some freedom to decide what we think is right and wrong for that particular family instead of forcing everyone into the same playstyle. And I prefer it this way, thank you. :)
    edited August 2019

We must not forget that this was a stuff pack. Stuff. Pack. lol. Since venues in TS4 are scripted, it's likely that they weren't able to squeeze that in. Heck, the budget was so tight that sims couldn't even talk while bowling. There was zero multitasking. Most of the budget probably went towards the animations.

I don't think kids 'roam around' those types of venues anymore, but we are free to take them there. Some simmers haven't played the game in months or years, so not everyone is aware of what has changed since then.

Also, no need to be concerned at how others choose to play their games. As long as this no longer happens autonomously (meaning, it's not forced on you,) you'll be fine.
    I guess they should have included bowling in a GP or EP. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited August 2019
    I guess they should have included bowling in a GP or EP. :)

Honestly, it seems too small for a GP, and it might have gotten even less attention in an EP. I'm just happy they went back and fixed it so our sims can chat while bowling. At least they do try to fix things sometimes, like that atrocious ball pit. Lol. I feel that all of these things contribute to family play, so it still makes me wonder why some say there's nothing meaningful.
    Well. A lot of small things were added in GPs and EPs. I can’t see a valid reason why they would separate bowling into a tiny little SP.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I've gotta say, I don't understand the anger about kids being allowed in nightclubs or even bars.
    Setting aside the absolutely not okay thing about adults inviting children to hang out anywhere unless they're family members or friends, why should those venues be strictly adult-only?

Nightclubs where I grew up and live now have always had "kid discos" with only child-friendly drinks served, bars and pubs often have food served on the premises and children are very much allowed in both. Granted, it would be nice to have a mechanic that would restrict kids from entering them after watershed so they wouldn't go party there at 2am in the morning, but I don't see an issue with them being invited there by friends to hang out as long as it doesn't automatically open the option to order 'juice'. There's nothing inherently adult about things like dancing and being in the mere presence of a bar that stocks 'juice'.

edited August 2019
    Well. A lot of small things were added in GPs and EPs. I can’t see a valid reason why they would separate bowling into a tiny little SP.

You could say that for every SP. Every GP, and Every EP. "Why would they add this here, when they could've added it there?" They create the packs, not us. Let them decide what goes where, and we decide if we want to buy.

But the reason bowling was added in an SP, (that Graham stated at the time,) was because the other teams were not planning to include it in other packs at the time. We might not have gotten bowling at all, otherwise.
    edited August 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

The difference is context. He was only explaining how it works in the game (and there are reasons.) You're attaching more to his words than what was said.

Now, I don't know for what reasons nightclubs/bars are allowed, but one possible explanation is that those two venues are where the bowling alleys are placed. (Bowling Stuff had come out some months before.) Because children can bowl in the game= they must be allowed at those venues (in the game.)

I think the actual bug was children inviting adults out, and vice versa, which I believe was finally fixed. And I never see kids appear autonomously at those two venues, either. (Unless there's a bowling alley, I think?) So that part should no longer be an issue. However, the possibility to take kids to those venues is still enabled for the player so we have that choice. Maybe I want to play a deviant kid. You can send your kids out in the middle of the night, and the game won't tell you it's wrong. It is up to the player to play how he/she wants, set curfews, etc. It gives us some freedom to decide what we think is right and wrong for that particular family instead of forcing everyone into the same playstyle. And I prefer it this way, thank you. :)
    This is the context:

Also, you reacted to this statement, “They can stay out all night with no consequence, skip school to hang out at night clubs “as night clubs are acceptable locations for the children” - a guru told me- and they stay home alone all day whilst their parents are off the lot.”, asking “A guru told you that? Exactly that?” The answer is yes, a guru told her that, exactly that.

- “as night clubs are acceptable locations for the children”
    - Actual tweet: “this venue is actually considered acceptable. Children are allowed at nightclubs.”

With or without context (which comes down to interpretation), this is what was said.
    5JZ57S6.png
    I've gotta say, I don't understand the anger about kids being allowed in nightclubs or even bars.
    Setting aside the absolutely not okay thing about adults inviting children to hang out anywhere unless they're family members or friends, why should those venues be strictly adult-only?

Nightclubs where I grew up and live now have always had "kid discos" with only child-friendly drinks served, bars and pubs often have food served on the premises and children are very much allowed in both. Granted, it would be nice to have a mechanic that would restrict kids from entering them after watershed so they wouldn't go party there at 2am in the morning, but I don't see an issue with them being invited there by friends to hang out as long as it doesn't automatically open the option to order 'juice'. There's nothing inherently adult about things like dancing and being in the mere presence of a bar that stocks 'juice'.
    I think there’s a difference between a pub (kids are allowed there and can have a Coke) and actual nightclubs.
    5JZ57S6.png