Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Edit Town Question

I like to steal other sims from other worlds to add to custom worlds to play in my game. What I was wondering is this: when you are in edit town mode, up in the top left you see the icons for the different travel worlds like University, Oasis Landing, World Adventures worlds, etc. If I click on one of those icons will it bring me to edit town mode in that world and will it mess up my game I'm currently playing. I've been wanting to test this since forever but I'm too scared to lose my current game, heh. Anyone else ever tried this?

Comments

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I've done it several times. Yes, clicking on those icons will take you into Edit Game mode in those worlds, and no it won't mess up your current game.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I've done it and had no problems. I'd definitely say save often, tho - and save a couple different copies just in case.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes its perfectly fine to click on those and edit those worlds before you get there with your sims. I have done it too.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    It won't mess up your current game but I like to leave those worlds untouched until I actually travel to them. Supposedly it will keep file size down until I just have to have a new .nbhd file in my save's folder.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Like previous posters have mentioned, yes, and it is safe to do so. I often edit the dorms at Uni this way, and sometimes the WA base camps as well, if I intend my Sims to travel there.

You'll get the normal travel load screen when you click the icon, and again when you click to return to the home world edit town screen (or click to edit the next town, if you're editing more than one of those travel worlds in a row). I also second Surreal's comment about saving often.
  • Options
    Once, I edited the house at University I wanted my sim to rent when she was there, but by the time she went, several sim days after I edited the house, there was someone already living there, so she couldn't rent it. By editing the world, I'd activated NRaas Story Progression to act on it. Ownable lots in the WA worlds and Oasis Landing are reserved for active sims only, but the rental houses in the University world are not. So if you have NRaas SP and want to edit a rental house there, you need to wait until just before your sim is about to leave for University.

There are other little glitches that can happen, but even if it crashes to the desktop while you're editing a travel destination, you'll only lose what you did since the last save.
  • Options
    yoashmoyoashmo Posts: 528 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Once, I edited the house at University I wanted my sim to rent when she was there, but by the time she went, several sim days after I edited the house, there was someone already living there, so she couldn't rent it. By editing the world, I'd activated NRaas Story Progression to act on it. Ownable lots in the WA worlds and Oasis Landing are reserved for active sims only, but the rental houses in the University world are not. So if you have NRaas SP and want to edit a rental house there, you need to wait until just before your sim is about to leave for University.

There are other little glitches that can happen, but even if it crashes to the desktop while you're editing a travel destination, you'll only lose what you did since the last save.

If you use nraas' story progression would setting the lot options for the rental to disallow for progression stop other Sims from moving in there before you like it does in the homeworks?
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited August 2019
    The houses that are available to move in at university are randomized the first time you go there with a specific save, even without NRAAS mods. One thing that I had never happen was that a house I picked to live in once was occupied the next time I returned with the same family. The others may get filled up.

Note that EA story progression also fills up houses.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

The way to reserve a rental house from one semester to another is to remove the refrigerator right before you leave. Sims cannot move into a house without a frig. When you arrive for the next semester put a frig in.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    NRaas SP does not operate on a world that is not being simulated (actively played). If you arrive at Uni World and find your intended to be set aside lot has other occupants in it, that would have happened in the instant that the Uni World loaded for you to play it, not when active play was back in the homeworld.

I agree with the refrigerator removal strategy and use that trick myself, when I remember to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited August 2019
    Ah, that's good to know that I have just been lucky that my sims' homes at university have never been snatched up by anyone else upon a return.
  • Options
    yoashmo wrote: »
    If you use nraas' story progression would setting the lot options for the rental to disallow for progression stop other Sims from moving in there before you like it does in the homeworks?

You can't use mods in edit town mode.

@igazor I know that SP doesn't actually do anything to a world while you're not actively playing there. But once your sims have been there, it makes calculations for that world while you're playing in the home world, which it applies as soon as your active sims arrive there again.

I have a save I've never played in, of the edits I've done in the WA worlds using Edit Town to enter them. I copy the nhd files for the WA worlds into new game saves so I don't have to do them again every time I have sims travel in a new game. The game will never bring residents from travel destinations into the homeworld as tourists until the active sims have traveled there. But when I copy the nhd files for the edited WA worlds into the game file, the game will bring residents from those worlds in as tourists, without my sims traveling there first. The game is obviously treating those worlds the same as if my sims had already visited them. So it seems logical to think that SP will also treat the university world as if it's been visited by the active sims, once its nhd file is in the save.

Every single time I've ever sent my sims to university, except for that one time, the exact same houses have always been vacant and rentable for my sims. None of UL's homeless sims have ever moved into dorms or houses until my sim is already moved in, except for that one time. It seems to me to be too much of a coincidence to believe that editing that house before going there had nothing to do with it being occupied when the world became active at the time my sim traveled there. On the other hand, it also seems odd that the house I'd edited was the only one of the rentable houses that was occupied, if SP was making calculations for the university world as soon as the nhd file was in the save. So, are you sure it wasn't SP that moved sims into that house?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Every single time I've ever sent my sims to university, except for that one time, the exact same houses have always been vacant and rentable for my sims. None of UL's homeless sims have ever moved into dorms or houses until my sim is already moved in, except for that one time. It seems to me to be too much of a coincidence to believe that editing that house before going there had nothing to do with it being occupied when the world became active at the time my sim traveled there. On the other hand, it also seems odd that the house I'd edited was the only one of the rentable houses that was occupied, if SP was making calculations for the university world as soon as the nhd file was in the save. So, are you sure it wasn't SP that moved sims into that house?
    I would stake my reputation as a professional real estate agent on it.

Disclaimer: I am not a real estate agent, and have no idea what it even takes to become one. o:)

I guess the question of whether the changes you are seeing in Uni World off-campus home assignments take place and are held pending in the TravelDB file or don't really exist anywhere until the microsecond that an actively played sim arrives in the world is kind of not important as the effects can end up being about the same either way. But don't forget there is a force in play through which the game figures out what it is the player wants to have happen and proceeds to do the exact opposite for them. We do know and can see that the foreign world nhd files themselves do not change if they are not being edited through Edit Town or by some other player-driven means while the target world is not being simulated because the modification dates/times of those files never change on their own.

I've lost control of foreign houses that my sims do not own by forgetting to pull the fridge out on occasion, other times I have been lucky enough to not have that happen. It always seemed to be more of a luck of the draw thing to me.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    But don't forget there is a force in play through which the game figures out what it is the player wants to have happen and proceeds to do the exact opposite for them.

Aha! I guess that totally explains it, because yes, I definitely see that happen all the time! If you want your sim to visit someone who is actually home at the time, the surest way to get them to leave home is to click on their lot and choose "visit x household." I always send them to the sidewalk across the street first now, so they can actually catch the sims they want to see before they have time to get into their car or a taxi.

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I just learned something. DO NOT edit another town while you're traveling to a vacation world. It screwed up my travel even with Nraas Travel installed. When I got back to Al Simhara after editing Shang Simla, suddenly Al Simhara was treated like my home world and I could not return back to my sim's original world. I had to quit and reload the previous save.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures