Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End of TS4 (second thread)

Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
I'm remaking this thread cause it was a great thread Anyway, so now please stay on topic.

I'm gonna repost the last few posts in the old thread to have a coherent following.

@Cynna said :
I'm starting to wonder if TS4 really should end. Mind you, it shouldn't end because of what any of us have to say about it, but because the developers seem to be bored with the concept that the series was initially based on, the simulation of life

After I watched the announcement for Realm of Magic yesterday, I started to wonder why Vampires, and now spellcasters, seem to be given so much more fun and detail than the other more 'mundane' aspects of the game.

I'm not an occult player by any stretch of the imagination. Still, ROM piqued my interest more than anything that currently exists on the "muggle" side of things (even the tropical pack, which I highly anticipated, proved to be an astounding disappointment). That tells me that there is something decidedly wrong here.

The many aspects of life: growing up, friendships, romances, familial relationships, etc. are all given cursory treatment in comparison to the occult game packs. Individual aspects of the Sims' personalities and subsequent emotional responses are all but ignored. Meanwhile, the developers have gone all out for Vampires and Wizards?

Why is that?

What if the answer to my question is as simple as it initially seems? That is, what if the developers are having more fun creating the occults? Or, I don't know, perhaps Vampires and Wizardry are narrower concepts which are subsequently less work-intensive than trying to simulate real life?

Either way, if the original concept of the series has grown so dull and no longer presents an interesting challenger for the developers, it may be time to move on to a new series that they would enjoy more.

Of course, I am only speculating. Yet, I feel that my concern is valid. If the developers have more interest in the occults than in the rest of the game, it may be time to draw the curtain on the Sims series rather than watch it die an excruciating and ignominious death -- in this installment or the next.

::sigh::

@JoAnne65 replied to @Nushnushganay :
I can tell you didn’t spend much time playing Sims 3, because I have no idea what you’re talking about when you explain how burdensome it felt to have too many details to attend to, too much of the time, and an agonizingly slow process of proceeding through life and relationships. What kind of details are you referring to? And what slow process? You want to achieve it all in one sim day? I really don’t understand what you mean there.

Also, the sims in Sims 4 are not complex, they simply all have the very same character. I played quite a few and there’s no difference between them. I played an evil sister and a good one. They were like identical twins. There was nothing complex about it, they reacted the very same to the auras surrounding them. I presume you interprete their reactions to the auras as something complex in their character, but it’s not their character and it’s not complex. They are flirty when it says flirty and they get tense when it says tense. The behaviour of the sims in Sims 4 indeed is random. I think you suspect details in the script that simply aren’t there. You’re just doing what I did: go with the flow of your randomly reacting sims that react whatever old way they ‘feel’ like because there’s some waterfall or other aura and turn it into your own fantasy. Like when my vampire was visiting Vlad and for no reason at all she became angry. You can call that a mystery and magic and sparkle and you can even love making some kind of storyline out of that, it’s not very complex though and it’s not very good gameplay wise. It’s quite simple actually, something invisible made her angry and it took talking into a mirror to calm her down. There was no way Vlad or something logical could do anything about it. Talk into a mirror.

So, if you’re wondering if each preset Sim is identical in each iteration of the game, or whether they have certain things randomized each time you start a new game: you’re right, they’re never identical because they are whatever emotion hits them. It’s not them, it’s whatever. When I play Sims 3 I can count on it Beau Merrick and Morrigan Hemlock will be evil (and so will Morrigan’s dragon of a toddler) and Holly Alto will be sweet and friendly, no matter how many times I’ll start a new game. It’s in their code and no aura will make them act otherwise. As characters do, why else have one.

@Cinebar replied to Writin_Reg :
Sorry, no matter how big a lot is, it does not equal world. If a lot equals a world now, then no need to have any livable lots in a world we can all just wait on the next pack with one big lot in it can't we? I think my idea of world and theirs have finally fell off the track. A lot is now a world...ok...I won't pay $20 or $40 for a pack that tells me a lot is now a world, and by saying so that makes it two worlds...no that makes it one teeny world and one big, hidden lot.

@MidnightAura replied to @Cinebar :
I agree. A single lot is not a world. If it’s being considered as acceptable, then I hope people are ready for the next dlc with one lot or two in the new world.

Del sol valley most fans will agree is poor because of its available lots. It has five three lots I think? Same number of lots in the new pack. People didn’t want to accept DSV was a world with so few lots but now a world with one lot is considered a good world?

I don’t get it.

@drake_mccarty said :
The alien world only has one lot and it’s considered a world. I don’t think the entire map of the magic realm is inside of the lot. I don’t really see much of a difference between it and the alien world except there being more to do in the magic realm.

I agree worlds are way too small and getting even smaller as new ones are added, but the magic realm is the equivalent to the base game hidden lots so I don’t really see the problem with it not having several lots.
Lu4ERme.gif
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I'm on the fence. I have huge fears for TS5, as it's likely it will be yet another step backwards or in the wrong direction.
  • SimeterySimetery Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2019
    Honestly I hope TS4 plays out a lot longer. I dont have high expectations for a TS5 and I also dont want to have to start all the way over (again!!) with content anytime soon.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm happy to keep moving forward with TS4. I only really got into it properly when seasons released and I feel it has a lot more that can be done to improve it. I'd rather they keep working on the game we have than knock out another half finished version that takes years and many packs to become fun.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I’m not in any hurry for TS5. I hope they continue to develop 4 for several more years and hopefully that buys them enough time to properly develop 5. Ive decided 5 will have to revolutionary in what it offers. No way will I buy a bare bones base game again.
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I'm not ready for the sims4 to be over. I feel like the packs in recent years have been better than some of the early ones. Plus I hate to start from scratch and sit and wait for new expansions to come out.

Let's face it, no matter what you think of the sims4, the franchise in general had ALWAYS relied on expansions to add content to the game over time. So I wouldn't expect sims5 to come fully loaded in a base game with season's, pets, etc.
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    I have high hopes for RoM. Us supernatural fans have often been shoved to the side for family gameplay and social/parties. Currently we only have aliens, vampires, ghosts and mermaids. Mermaids being an afterthought and about as fleshed out as plantsims.

So before they move on to TS5 we need AT LEAST 3 more occult lifestates.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    TS4, while pretty, is a shallow, bug-ridden, broken mess. It is now simply a means of incresing revenue for EA following the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of maximum profit for minimum effort. It's like a horse with a broken leg, and horses with broken legs are shot to put them out of their misery. On the other hand, for TS5 to be decent will take a team that is as revolutionary and committed to excellence as the team that made TS2 was. Even if EA began now, it would take years to bring out 5, so either we are stuck with more agonized horse or a simless void.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited August 2019
    I am not. Still needs things to be added and improved on. Why spend all that money all over again, especially if it doesn't feel complete or not outdated, especially if they don't have anything new to really offer at this point as everything has been done? Sims 2 and all that is basically outdated so that in understandable; but we don't need a new version every other year or so. I won't be impressed if they can't fix and improve what they already have. We got a few more years and I am glad as that means there is still hope for some features to return.

Been waiting for witches and other things to finally come back and I rather they take their time then rush. Still waiting for graduations, slow dancing, forming bands, etc...so much stuff.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Hmmm. I think I'm ready for it to end if the alternative is better, be that TS5 or Paralives. I have a tumultuous relationship with 4, more than I've had with the others. TS2 was and still is my darling. Always enjoyed 1 and 3 as well. But 4 bores me quickly. I always want to play the sims, and I'll load it up and then just...quit. Because I really don't feel like there's much for me to do...or if I'm starting something new, it feels like there's too much for me to do since I have to do so much character creation on my own. Traits don't really do much for me this round. And I'm constantly getting emotional whiplash with packs. Like I'm so so so excited for a magic pack (occult player here) but equally disappointed not at the number of lots (I understand it's a gamepack and vampires etc were also small) but that they're not all located in the magic realm. I want my witches and alchemists and vampires to be able to live somewhere that's magical! It was a great opportunity for them to explore portraying a livable neighborhood in a different way, and instead they just reigned it in for the realistic players who will buy the pack just to have a few aspects of it. That's the kind of thing I'm tired of. So while I like aspects of TS4 (CAS and BB are pretty good, but I could use better traits, more hair and eye colors, and dual swatches in BB would be great) I can't say I'd be brokenhearted by it ending. Then again, I was never upset when the others ended. I still played them. I still play 2 and 3 but sadly lost the disc to 1 ages ago. I think it's good to move on and try new things.

P.s. thanks for continuing the thread @Jordan061102 . Haha I totally follow @Cinebar's threads throughout the ts4 forum because there's good discussion.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Not really, as the general trend in gaming doesnt bode well for it to be better. With how bare bones the base game will be in today's DLC heavy environment it will also be some time after release before I buy into the next version. Maybe by the middle of the next decade.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i like sims 4 and i want more years of sims 4.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Jordan061102 Thanks for making the thread again even though I didn't participate, but I honestly think this better suited for the feedback forum. Judging from the answers so far, I don't think you'll get the kind of discussion you're looking for. Also, please report derailers.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sims 4 still needs a lot of content. I've no interest in 5. I'm not buying 5.

This is the 4th time I have bought this game and it's my last.

The way I see it, each series has gone with the trends of the day during it's time. The trends of the future is more online, more fake, and more material empty-headed Instagramy stuff. It gets a big no from me.

Once I round out 4 and they move on to 5, that's when I will mod 4 to my liking and how I want it and call it a day....and just merrily play 4 til the day I can't anymore.
  • SimeterySimetery Posts: 66 Member
    @fullspiral

I really agree with this. Sims5 if/when it happens would have to GREATLY impress me for me to buy it.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Not ready for it to end at all. I hope they extend it again for many more years when their review or planning time rolls around (not sure what that is called).
    I love my game, love playing out stories in it. It's basically got most of what I dreamed of when I would moon over what I wanted in Sims 1 and Sims 2... or what could be. I do have a few problems concept wise with it but nothing I haven't come to terms with. My biggest hope that might not come to fruition for this game is addition of a fear emotion but I won't be bitter about that if it never comes I'll be getting a mod.
    I am very, very happy we are getting Witches (Spellcasters)... I believe they made a great decision calling them that and making it broad enough to include many ways simmers might want to play with them.
    I still want so much although my game is very full at this point. I want University, more hobbies, cars, more intimacy (bed cuddles ect), more relationship focus and maybe an attraction system, more traits, couple dancing.. would love a whole pack on this, bands (not limited to rock bands), funerals, more supernaturals and weird stuff, robots, cars and the ability to refurbish them, birds as pets, mobility devices (canes, wheelchairs), more baby stuff and animations at the very least if free the babies never happens. I even want more concepts like Strangerville that simply delighted me... and more possibilities I can't even imagine and haven't made it into Sims games at all.
    I disliked Sims 3. I don't know what direction it will go in for Sims 5 so I'm not even sure I will like it. If they try to sell me things during live play for instance (like hair seen in CAS but not available).. I will not be happy. If they go to an art style I can't live with .. I will not be happy. I enjoy not having to mod the game or use CC. If they make a game that is too overblown to run well I will not be happy. I'm spoiled now and frankly this very possibly might be my last sims game because of my age and changes that could happen as games evolve. So I'm happy with Sims 4 going on for a very long time.

egTcBMc.png
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm not in any hurry at all for The Sims 5 and really enjoy 4.

Edit: And, as a reply to the first quote, I don't believe the developers had more "fun" working on Occult packs. If they did, wouldn't there be more of them?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I think Sims 4 is boring and dull. None of the sims seem to have any distinct personality regardless of the traits you give them. They also do not seem to be in a hurry to fix that either as it would be a large base game patch and probably would have happened by now. Another issue I have is that there is literally nothing random that happens, certainly nothing negative! That makes it pretty tame and boring and makes me think it's only marketed really to young girls.

That being said, I doubt Sims 5 will improve things. I'm just over here waiting for Paralives honestly. Either way though I'll always have Sims 2 and 3.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Sims 4 still needs a lot of content. I've no interest in 5. I'm not buying 5.

This is the 4th time I have bought this game and it's my last.

The way I see it, each series has gone with the trends of the day during it's time. The trends of the future is more online, more fake, and more material empty-headed Instagramy stuff. It gets a big no from me.

Once I round out 4 and they move on to 5, that's when I will mod 4 to my liking and how I want it and call it a day....and just merrily play 4 til the day I can't anymore.

My thoughts exactly, 100%.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2019
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    I think Sims 4 is boring and dull. None of the sims seem to have any distinct personality regardless of the traits you give them. Another issue I have is that there is literally nothing random that happens, certainly nothing negative!

And this is where the game stops being a life simulator.

The development team has been out of touch since the start. Using the broken Olympus model, claiming that removing toddlers was a decision everyone would admire, looks over gameplay... Will Wright's vision isn't respected like it was in 1 and 2. He believed failure was one of the most interesting parts of the game and of life in general because of how we react and work past it. That stems right back to the actual origin of the series - he got the idea for The Sims in its most basic form after his own house was destroyed in a fire. The Sims 4 is far too happy and sensitive, it feels like it's been sterilized.

I won't be buying 5 if/when it comes. Paralives is very interesting though, it's about time there was something different. 4 isn't worth the price it is and if this is new standard then I'd be rather worried.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2019
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    I think Sims 4 is boring and dull. None of the sims seem to have any distinct personality regardless of the traits you give them. Another issue I have is that there is literally nothing random that happens, certainly nothing negative!

And this is where the game stops being a life simulator.

The development team has been out of touch since the start. Using the broken Olympus model, claiming that removing toddlers was a decision everyone would admire, looks over gameplay... Will Wright's vision isn't respected like it was in 1 and 2. He believed failure was one of the most interesting parts of the game and of life in general because of how we react and work past it. That stems right back to the actual origin of the series - he got the idea for The Sims in its most basic form after his own house was destroyed in a fire. The Sims 4 is far too happy and sensitive, it feels like it's been sterilized.

I won't be buying 5 if/when it comes. Paralives is very interesting though, it's about time there was something different. 4 isn't worth the price it is and if this is new standard then I'd be rather worried.

I agree, all of that is true.

The current devs team vision is that the sims 4 is a safe space where you can explore, learn and grow and their target audience is teenagers on Instagram with rich parents. There in lies the difference- their visions are completely different. The sims 4 is a life sim in name only.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    TS4, while pretty, is a shallow, bug-ridden, broken mess. It is now simply a means of incresing revenue for EA following the plum of maximum profit for minimum effort. It's like a horse with a broken leg, and horses with broken legs are shot to put them out of their misery. On the other hand, for TS5 to be decent will take a team that is as revolutionary and committed to excellence as the team that made TS2 was. Even if EA began now, it would take years to bring out 5, so either we are stuck with more agonized horse or a simless void.

You're so right. I just hope that TS4 will help to finance TS5.
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Hmmm. I think I'm ready for it to end if the alternative is better, be that TS5 or Paralives. I have a tumultuous relationship with 4, more than I've had with the others. TS2 was and still is my darling. Always enjoyed 1 and 3 as well. But 4 bores me quickly. I always want to play the sims, and I'll load it up and then just...quit. Because I really don't feel like there's much for me to do...or if I'm starting something new, it feels like there's too much for me to do since I have to do so much character creation on my own. Traits don't really do much for me this round. And I'm constantly getting emotional whiplash with packs. Like I'm so so so excited for a magic pack (occult player here) but equally disappointed not at the number of lots (I understand it's a gamepack and vampires etc were also small) but that they're not all located in the magic realm. I want my witches and alchemists and vampires to be able to live somewhere that's magical! It was a great opportunity for them to explore portraying a livable neighborhood in a different way, and instead they just reigned it in for the realistic players who will buy the pack just to have a few aspects of it. That's the kind of thing I'm tired of. So while I like aspects of TS4 (CAS and BB are pretty good, but I could use better traits, more hair and eye colors, and dual swatches in BB would be great) I can't say I'd be brokenhearted by it ending. Then again, I was never upset when the others ended. I still played them. I still play 2 and 3 but sadly lost the disc to 1 ages ago. I think it's good to move on and try new things.

P.s. thanks for continuing the thread @Jordan061102 . Haha I totally follow @Cinebar's threads throughout the ts4 forum because there's good discussion.

Same here, The Sims 4 is just appealing by its look, when I see image of it I want to play the game, then I open the game. It starts with an horrible feeling when I see all this random colors at the launch, then I play like 5 minutes and I'm already like ''what else can I do? I'm bored I want to play TS3'' and that's it. The new magical pack looks great but I know it won't be enough to keep me interested. I'll play like 2 weeks or even less and I know I'll be bored, so it's a first for me but I won't buy this pack. I'm even gonna try not to buy anything else more of TS4. I also agree with you, @Cinebar's threads are always good!
    lasummerb wrote: »
    @Jordan061102 Thanks for making the thread again even though I didn't participate, but I honestly think this better suited for the feedback forum. Judging from the answers so far, I don't think you'll get the kind of discussion you're looking for. Also, please report derailers.

Thank you for being on topic! Yeah but I won't answer them cause they 1. didn't read my post or 2. just want to derail it again. I'm gonna report them.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited August 2019
    I can't say I'm looking forward to it as such, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up just breaking itself what with all the bugs that are now buried so deep in the system it seems impossible to fix them.

I have thoroughly enjoyed myself for quite a few years playing Sims4. I've never tried any of the other iterations, so I don't have anything to compare with, which I suppose somewhat disqualifies me from discussions like these. But I have also stopped playing Sims 4 since about 2-3 months now, and...I didn't miss it. Usually that is a bad sign for me.

Some people have mentioned that the gameplay is tame or that there is a lack of the unexpected. For me personally that has been a positive thing, because there are other more complex games out there with much more death and accidents (not to mention the real world). But I can also appreciate the desire to have a more dynamic game environment that isn't fully controllable by me as a player.

It will definitely be interesting to see where Sims will be heading, as well as Paralives.

ETA: I kind of think that Sims5 needs to be a game done from scratch in order to create something new for the players. As in a completely new way of looking at life simulation/sandbox games. Paralives seems to be onto something good in that sense.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks I'll be keeping an eye on this thread on an ongoing basis so keep it on topic please.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    In the other thread before it was closed I had many legitmate reasons why this game should not keep going forever, in the following link I will provide one more example. These things aren't just here or there or sporadic these things happen all the time, and will only get worse the longer the game code gets jumbled up. I would like for it to end so they could patch up what they break withe each and every pack and patch. Just one more reason I can't continue to support shoddy games that keep breaking. It's like trying to plug one hole in a bathtub and another breaks loose. At some point people start to say enough, no amount of fluff can justify more and more things breaking.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/964918/put-down-here-option-removed#latest
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    The AI in Sims 2 was the best ever, the Sims had character and the funny things they did were actually funny, they also interacted with you by looking right at you and a thought bubble let you know how they felt. The toddlers could play with each other and the Pets, and you had to bathe them, etc, and they didn't all look the same. Vacations were good in Sims 2, they just went on holiday, learned a few things, had fun and came home, and they could all do the smuzzle in sync, and any other dance they learned on vacation. Sims 3 was best for the open world and the universal ageing. Before Sims 4 was released I was asking that they make it have all of the above, a combination of Sims 2 Sims and Sims 3 open world and ageing. They came nowhere close and went a step backward. I bought Sims 4 base game and it was a big waste of my money, I played it a couple of times then lost it with the game, yawn! I have never bought any add on for Sims 4 as it's a complete fail to me. I wish they would hurry up and just end this and get Sims 5 out, this time actually listening to long time players and adding all of the above. Right now I'm back playing Sims 3 but even still I wish that had some Sims 2 aspects. I only came here today to see if there's any sign of Sims 5.