Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you switch off Sim Culling?

I play rotational and am really kinda confused and worried about sim culling ever since I first found out that existed. I was curious to know if it's okay to stop it happening with MC command center or if that's something that is going to be bad for my game. I do have a fairly good computer that runs the game on ultra settings. I just really don't want to loose sims from my families or that my sims might have befriended. I've already disabled relationship culling but I still feel worried about population culling.

Sorry in advance if this thread breaks any rules or is posted in the wrong place.

Do you switch off Sim Culling? 64 votes

Yes.
64%
IcewolfLaBlue0314Colorist40Writin_Regpj9871Mariefoxprice83lilfalkeKalaniCoolChelleJokne3384DillynJamesfallenangel66Girklcatitude5MaggieMarleyTurtleShroomSummerStreakDockIeeSims4MagicalTalesQueenMercy 41 votes
No.
35%
SimmervilleIsb917Wyrrenmock68CinebarLizzychicagoHestiaelelunicyannaliese39SekrilStutumSpar XmustenimikaZenovisHopeyStarrPeculiarPlumbobNorthDakotaGamerAriaMad2nerdfashion 23 votes

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    No.
    Before today, I didn't know you could turn off culling :D
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    No.
    I have been afraid to. I haven't lost any significant relationships yet. And I play all the premades rotationally. I do tend to go in and delete random townies after I play unless there is a good reason to keep them.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    No.
    I don't even find that option in my settings. So, I don't think I ever switched culling off.

But - I set sims to unlimited and "loved" all my played households. If NPCs get culled I wouldn't even know. I only use those as background, my active sims normally hook up with other played sims, in order to limit the population.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Yes.
    I always turn it off, this way I have full control on who goes and who stays.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Yes.
    Yes. But I use NPCC along with MCCC, does a far better job at using existing homeless sims for roles, provided that you have enough sims in world. I have more or less 400 right now and the game never generates townies.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Yes.
    I switch off culling and do manual culling instead. When the game has so many sims it starts being dysfunctional, I go into Manage Worlds and delete the homeless sims generated by the game.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    No.
    Nope, I found any sims I do not want culled mostly are saved by putting them in the "my households" area.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    No.
    I would like to turn off relationship culling, because I'm tired of re-introducing my sim to her children's spouses. If I start getting into mods, that's one of the first things I'll look into.

But sim culling? No. So far my game is small enough that putting the households I want to keep in My Households is enough to keep anyone interesting from being culled.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yes.
    If I'm playing a realistic save I delete occults via MCCC, or else manually, if I come across them whilst in the process of giving NPCs a makeover. Otherwise I only delete NPCs if I really can't be bothered to give them a makeover and don't want them walking around inappropriately dressed for the theme, but that's not too common.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    No.
    I don't use MCCC.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    Chelseadude182Chelseadude182 Posts: 943 Member
    Please can someone explain simply what Sims culling does? (I can struggle to understand :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited August 2019
    Please can someone explain simply what Sims culling does? (I can struggle to understand :sweat_smile:

Sim culling is when your game gets rid of sims you don’t have favorited. It doesn’t normally happen with people in houses ( at least in my game). If your favorited sims have a high relationship, high romance, or high dislike for sims, it usually keeps that other sim from being culled too. I usually save townies I like, especially after taking the time to make them over. If they get culled I can add them back. I wish they would raise the favorited numbers ( like from 200 to 300.). I hope they are working on it. I don’t use mods or cc.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    No.
    Never heard of it, so if it's on by default I haven't switched it off. I only mess with things I know the consequences of. :)
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    No.
    I play vanilla so nope. I don't even remember my game culling for a really long time. It must be either because I play aging on for active household only and there hasn't been a need or then it has just done a marvellous job without me even noticing anything.

I didn't know so many people chose to interfere with the culling. Like I said I don't really see the need unless you can protect family ghosts with it, I don't trust the game with that. Relationship culling is another story and I still find it annoying. Usually helps if I get the relationship status up to friends as the game system is quite ruthless to acquaintances.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    No.
    I like culling as it gets rid of any random townies generated by the game :D
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Yes.
    Never had need to cull any sim before. Variety is the spice of life.
    Any good that comes with the bad and vice versa is all part and parcel of what makes life. If i deleted any sim i disliked or simply because they are in the way, it defeats the purpose of a realistic playthrough.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Thanks for your replies. I think I'm just going to turn it off then I don't need to worry about it anymore.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    How do you turn off culling? Where is the culling switch?
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think culling happens to prevent the game too full of sims to the point there is no housing, slows everything down, etc.., so it makes room. Usually only happens to sims you don't interact with, play, fave, etc...like some sim I don't play died and don't have a strong connection, usually I would get notice that they are fading until they are gone completely.

I see it more of an issue for those who play generational games as the longer it goes on, the more sims added into the game and the bigger it would get. I usually delete most random townies anyways as they aren't really needed and new ones always shows up. It helps prevent sims I care about not being culled.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    No.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    How do you turn off culling? Where is the culling switch?
    You need a mod for it, MC command center.
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes.
    I turn it off and delete extra Sims from Manage Households manually when I feel like there are too many. It's always run fine for me, but for some it can cause the game to lag. It's an easy problem to solve by just turning it back on if you have issues though.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    No.
    If I don't want sims to be culled away, I do it manually by using MCC (I don't usually care about the townies culling away)
  • Options
    gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes.
    I switched off culling a long time ago. And I have a mod that stops random townies from generating, so every "NPC" is actually a sim that I made and played with at some point. I have 662 sims (living and dead) and I keep track of literally all of them. I like having that control.

I'm also never deleting any of my ghosts/rarely played sims because I don't want to ruin the family trees. Like, every singe sim in my game has someone on their family tree; there are no randoms.