Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think University is OVERRATED!

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2019
    I didn't play University much in Sims 3 but quite enjoyed it for a while. I sent every eligible person in my world to it so I could make more Sims and gave every Dorm. 8 supercomputers which they all sat at and studied to get through their exams quickly. That's about it. (I don't trust any doctor, having only got a diagnosis of what really ailed me at the age of 65).

When you come to who the most useful people in this world they are the rubbish/disposal collectors and plumbers. The men who clear up all our waste and keep us from getting ill and having to go to those university trained doctors. They are not usually university trained unless they have found out that their university course has not ended up in a job! There is an argument for them being paid much better for the jobs they do.

You have to live in a society that has bin men strikes to find this out! Vermin! Rats everywhere.
    Plumbing is a very well paid job these days! Very much an apprenticeship training one as well as course work. Bazalgette who created the London sewer system was an engineer who learned his trade 'on the job'

The Gurus should rethink their "University" It is not the 'be all and end all' in life.

A lovely Einstein quote......

It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry

Still holds! :)
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    for me, im just tired of this whole teenage-rich-instagram-girl-disney-castle-princess-plumenometry vibe we've been getting in each pack. i've been dying for a more mature stuff and adulting.

for instance, TS3 Unversity gave us the the ability to 'woohooty texting' iirc which your sims would call another romance sim via phone then come over to mingle on your bed and act like nothing happen.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    The only thing I remember about the University in Sims 3 was that I found it so glitchy I struggled to move my sims around the campus, never mind actually get a degree! So I guess that my opinion on University for Sims 4 is that it would be fine, sure, so long as it WORKS.
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    One thing that IS overrated about the packs is that the careers tied to college in an unmodded game are ALL WRONG.

Ever since Sims 2 the games allowed players to go into medicine and science without a degree and when the University pack was added, formal education was required for careers like artist, paranormal and sports agent. :/

Yup!! Exactly... :'(<3
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I find it ridiculous for sims to end up as highly skilled professionals without a college degree. Seriously....a surgeon who never went to college? It's just not realistic. Plus it's a huge part of many people's play styles. I want the option of my sims attending uni or not attending to add to my storytelling.

But there are so many ways that the game breaks immersion with its lack of realism. This is a drop in the ocean.

I mean, we’re talking about a game in which one man can build a space-faring rocket in his back yard and blast off into orbit from a launchpad right next to his house.

I never played that even once. Well, I was forced to see a bit of it with the geek festival. I avoid all that stuff. Some of us play a very different way. The rocket isn't forced to TS4 backyards. Players want choice.

Also, we're talking about the franchise too, and I know TS4 is cartoonier but some players want to pull focus away from the wackiness. The consensus is not that this game should ignore life and switch into full fantasy.

It's not even like we ask for less detail and more things like spinning into clothes. Some of us like changing tables (vs. spinning babies) and loads of detail, even though many probably play TS2 for that it doesn't mean they 100% quit TS4 or want entirely different things.

I don't think arguments like that are fair or are welcoming to many players' styles and preferences.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Same, I want an education pack for all ages not just single YAs. Why university packs don't let elders attend I never understood and seriously so many of my old classmates had multiple kids when they attended university and had to get daycare for them and pick them up from school. If the Sims is truly supposed to simulate real life, then it better not make a mockery of the school system that is so stuck in a fantasy world that it doesn't represent what college and university is really life. Oh also would like Sims to have option to not just go to universities, but trade and community colleges too. I want daycare, grade, and high school, because if modders can make it just using Get to Work files, I know it can be done to an unmodded Sims game too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller