Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How High are Your Realm of Magic Expectations?

124...Next

Comments

• OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I Expect Realm of Magic to be the Best Game Pack Yet!
    Probably too high. Vampires set a pretty high bar and Witches are my favorite Occult.. so I'm worried that they're not going to be as good as Vampires were. I'm excited still, but kind of waiting to see what they show us over the next three weeks.. I do love that they've added a spell-book. Curious to see if there's some Witch "UI" thing like the Vampires have (weaknesses and strengths) and I'm curious to see if they're going to make it a bit difficult to learn spellcasting/and have stuff not exactly go your way during spells, etc. We'll see. :)

They use a similar system with regards to gaining power, so it might just depend on how much you like witches, I mean Spellcasters over Vampires or vice versa. At least with both spells and potions there's a good range of activities; combine the potions from OR with this and specialize in potion making to open a store in the "normal" world, or go more for the spell type of Sim.

I love Witches. Q_Q lol. So, I'm expecting them to be great - I'm overall a supernatural player - I enjoy fantasy in the game as well as realism. I would love it if they added some other packs being able to be used with Spellcasters; though was really hoping for some "second form" so that they could be good, or evil as I would have loved if they could have disguises. (Kind of like how the witch from Beauty and the Beast, or Snow-White, etc). But I'll wait and see, hopefully there are some spells like that.. and maybe if they do have a spell that allows them to change their appearance, we'd be able to go into CAS.. ? I don't know. But crossed fingers that it's something similar and I love your idea of a potion shop with a Sim that specializes in them. : )
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Let's say that on a scale from My First Pet Stuff to Seasons I'm thunderstorms blizzards and all the rest.

Omg I've never been this hyped with TS4. From what I've seen in the trailer and read on twitter, this has everything to be the best GP ever
  • JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    Didn’t have high expectations, but the trailer and the info shared by the gurus surprised me greatly.

Personally, I don’t think I’ll like it as much as I did with the Vampires GP, but that’s only given my personal preference of vampires over Witches, in regard to their lore and style. But based on what I’ve read, I do think that this pack may surpass Vampires in terms of gameplay. It seems more diverse, with potentially more replay value (which Vampires has by the lots - I’ve played hundreds of hours with it since release).

Besides, the looks of the magic realm are just so cool! I thought I’d never see a floating world in the sims. The mere prospect of owning a dragon (even if a miniature one) also thrills me. Lastly, a more isolated world like GB, which isn’t as grim as FH, is, too, a great addition. I’m already thinking about the shack I’ll build for my to dwell in. “Off the grid” will fit in perfectly here!

Overall, I can’t wait!
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I Expect Realm of Magic to be the Best of All Packs Yet!
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I expect a watered down version of Supernatural.

I think this comparison is not totally fair. Realm of magic is not pretending to be the same as the sims 3 supernaturals pack. For starters it is a GP and we were never promised to get multiple lifestates. Because of this pack being a GP it will never have the same amount of features as an EP. Just like jungle adventures can never offer 3 vacation destinations like sims 3 world adventures.

Now if you compare island living to island paradise, I would agree as both are EP's with a residential, tropical island as theme. Same for a comparison between sims 3 pets and sims 4 cats and dogs. These were also both EP's with the same topic of adding pets to our sims households. And in these cases sims 4 unfortunately did offer watered down versions.

As a GP realm of magic can never offer the same content as an EP. I think it looks very promising and might offer us a very good version of witches / spellcasters. But the only comparison that makes sense to me is comparing it to the vampire GP.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    @Atreya33 You can also compare it to Sims 2 Apartment Life Witchcraft LS and Makin Magic.

Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @Atreya33 You can also compare it to Sims 2 Apartment Life Witchcraft LS and Makin Magic.

If you mean comparing one pack to another then I don't see much point in comparing a GP to an EP.

If you mean by 'Witchcraft LS' comparing the lifestate itself, then you can definitely compare between all different iterations of the sims. In this case sims 4 witches might even turn out to be the best. But we need more info before we can compare the lifestate properly.
    @Atreya33 I only meant the lifestate.

1 was decent for the era and nostalgically was pretty neat but it was more a 'skill' than an actual lifestate as Sims 1 was too limited to have any.

2 Was neat but was only in Apartment Life thus not a major focus. It's also only iteration to have Good and Evil.

3 Was... Well Making 3 LS in 1 pack was a bit of a mess. (and allowing you to have vampires without Night Out and no coffins or real ability to get plasma was really stupid on EA's part..) Magic was really boring but the 'play with magic' ability was fun to watch. Just 'mages' in 3 wasn't very fun.

4 From trailer and tweets sounds truly impressive and can't wait to buy it. I admit we need to play it to truly have an opinion but.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
    WolfNate wrote: »
    @Atreya33 I only meant the lifestate.

1 was decent for the era and nostalgically was pretty neat but it was more a 'skill' than an actual lifestate as Sims 1 was too limited to have any.

2 Was neat but was only in Apartment Life thus not a major focus. It's also only iteration to have Good and Evil.

3 Was... Well Making 3 LS in 1 pack was a bit of a mess. (and allowing you to have vampires without Night Out and no coffins or real ability to get plasma was really stupid on EA's part..) Magic was really boring but the 'play with magic' ability was fun to watch. Just 'mages' in 3 wasn't very fun.

4 From trailer and tweets sounds truly impressive and can't wait to buy it. I admit we need to play it to truly have an opinion but.

I agree.

Just a few additions
    For sim 1 it is worth to mention kids could do magic too.
    In sims 2 witches could have a cat familiar if you owned pets. Wizards and witches could also visit a special hidden lot.
    Technically speaking RoM is a secret lot as you can only visit it via teleporting or the arch based off Order of Pheonix.

And unlike 2 where you familiar is just a ghost I think we just turn our pet into one but it just grants bonus interactions and you still have to take care of em unlike the 'void critter' familiars.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I don’t know how I feel about this game pack.
    No accessories like capes and hats? Really? Come on EA!

I wonder why these aren't being included? I wish they had put in a couple of long wizard beards.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    And what about a classical witches hat! I need that for my magical sims
    @MidnightAura @Mariefoxprice83 They're going for more modern looking mages it seems.
    Agreed. It would be good to do both classic and modern types though. A lot of people are comparing the pack to Harry Potter so what about the wizards who walk around in robes, or the ones who make strange choices in the muggle world because they don't understand how muggle fashion works?
    I'd say it's geared towards 'Fantastic Beasts' and 'Sabrina'
    edited August 2019
    It's always struck me as odd that the characters in Fantastic Beasts seem to wear a lot of muggle fashions yet in Harry Potter the wizarding world has a completely different view of clothing. Dumbledore's fashion sense changed drastically by the time of Harry's birth. I haven't seen the modern Sabrina so I can't comment.
    meant sitcom more then the horror
    Ah, I haven't seen that in over 20 years so I can't say I remember it especially well. I probably watched it mostly for Salem anyway.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited August 2019
    I Expect Realm of Magic to be good, but not the Best of Anything.
    I always manage my expectations with Sims 4 packs.
    So far, the game pack has really amazed me. I am a bit worried that it will concentrate too much on emulating harry potter rather than traditional witches. It just remains to be seen.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Agreed. It would be good to do both classic and modern types though. A lot of people are comparing the pack to Harry Potter so what about the wizards who walk around in robes, or the ones who make strange choices in the muggle world because they don't understand how muggle fashion works?

Oh my God. You've just solved the townie crazy wardrobe mystery! They're really all actually Witches and Wizards trying to fit into the Muggle world! 😂

I'll never look at a crazy townie outfit the same way again.
    #Team Occult
  • CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    edited August 2019
    I personally expect it to be probably my favorite, since I really like stuff about magic. I have several sims (mainly Marvel sims) that this magic pack will be great for. I don't really do gameplay all that much in the sims, usually I just use CAS. However, this pack will make it easier to make certain sims that I make really come to life in game.
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Parenthood is still gonna be the best GP I think.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I think it will tie with Vampires, Strangerville & Outdoor Retreat.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    After the new gameplay trailer and livestream, my non-expectations are much higher! It is helpful for me to know how they plan to implement a new lifestate, and I like the degree of depth Spellcasters receive, compared to TS3: Supernatural Witches (which is my base for comparison).

Are there things I would have done differently? Sure! I actually prefer the TS3 alchemy station, or the TSM crafting bench for potions, to the RoM cauldron. But really, a cauldron is also fine.

What the previews do is allow me to adjust my thinking, so I am not expecting it to be this one way this other thing was back then. It's going to be different. It's not going to be less engaging, though. Rather the contrary. This looks great!
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Imho, Vampires set the bar pretty high, so I'm expecting ROM to rival them at least. After watching the Livestream yesterday and the trailers, the pack looks very well done and very promising.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    adduapina wrote: »
    Parenthood is still gonna be the best GP I think.

Raising kids is cooler then having a pet skull and owning potions?