Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else miss actually having physical copies of Sims games?

13...Next

Comments

• halihali Posts: 66 Member
    Yes, I miss physical copies.
    I prefer hard copies over digital releases (be it books, software, games, music etc). Interesting to see how close the vote is thus far, esp considering how many/most(?) contemporary laptops don't even have disk slots anymore.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I do like having physical copies but mainly only really because I like to 'own' them and be able to play them when I want. I feel a bit like I'm being held to ransom with Origin, so if I don't have the internet or something then I suddenly can't play. I didn't have internet a while ago and I tried to go into my game in offline mode, but it kept telling me that I had to go online first and then select offline mode... Sooo annoying! I had to move my whole pc to my sisters house to get internet, so I could go online and type in my password, and select offline mode, and then drive it back home and play. I miss just being able to play whenever I want because, you know, I own the plum game!! :s
    I do like not having to store all the game boxes tho.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    No, I much prefer digital.
    Clutter that takes up valuable shelf space, sold in shrinkwrap that adds to our disposable waste burden? I don't miss needing the disks.
  • jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    Other (?)
    Yes and no.

There are things in both, physical and digital, that I like and don't like. So it's not yet that I could say that I prefer one over other. :|

I have The Sims 4 physical version though + all packs for it, except most recent 3 SPs and 1(soon 2) GPs because they probably stopped making physical bundles for those. Now, that they changed the design for those physical packs too, I actually don't even want them anymore. To be honest, those packs that I currently have don't look nice together either, bundles are fine but EPs are not done with same rules so they don't look good together. I mean they are nice individually though, and it's nice to look at them at times, but as an collection its not nice looking one. So, that's one reason to go for digital ones now, but not sure when I will do that.. but there are more and more packs waiting though the longer I wait. :D

I also don't understand why there is not an option to make those 1 GP + 2 SPs bundles in Origin, or actually create your own bundle of those packs that you want.. I hope that is gonna change. :/
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    its nice but with sims 2 i have to have freetime disk in my computer drive at all times so i can play it. heaven forbid the disk breaks idk what i'd do then. digital all the way.
  • halihali Posts: 66 Member
    > @asimbsim said:
    > I do like having physical copies but mainly only really because I like to 'own' them and be able to play them when I want. I feel a bit like I'm being held to ransom with Origin, so if I don't have the internet or something then I suddenly can't play. I didn't have internet a while ago and I tried to go into my game in offline mode, but it kept telling me that I had to go online first and then select offline mode... Sooo annoying! I had to move my whole pc to my sisters house to get internet, so I could go online and type in my password, and select offline mode, and then drive it back home and play. I miss just being able to play whenever I want because, you know, I own the plum game!! :smile:
    > I do like not having to store all the game boxes tho.

Same. Being able to purchase a physical copy means I own what I've paid for. Years from now, given that my hardware still works, I can still play the game I paid for. If Origin decides to--who knows what--I may not have access or be able to play what I paid good money for. EA has my money for keeps, but I don't have what I've paid for for keeps--there's no guarantee for me, the digital download consumer. Genuinely makes me apprehensive--especially because I've never invested money into a game I don't physically own :/. (I found the newest Origin updates note disheartening in re: to this very topic.)
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I'm all about the digital age whether it's books, movies, games, whatever. I don't miss having to own shelves specifically for games and movies, I don't miss getting my discs all scratched up or damaged, I don't miss optical drives..

Nostalgia is nice to think about, but reliving it wouldn't be as fun.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I have full sets of game disks for TS1, 2, & 3, basegame and something else for 4. I view them as insurance; if something goes pooey, I can always reinstall.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I miss owning physical copies of things. I feel like I don't truly have ownership unless it's in my hand. That being said though I have no choice but to buy digital PC games now because I don't really have a way to install them unless I do this super long work around involving my parents desktop and drive sharing.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Physical to me means I actually own the game. With digital it is technically being rented.

Yes, you own the disc but you must go through an third party to complete the install as with most games developed today. So in some way they still have control.

I know, so now we actually never will "own" games we purchase. That is a very big negative that happened within the industry.

We never owned them, anyway. It's in the fine print.
  • ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    Honestly I’ve never liked owning physical copies of anything. When I lived with my parents, my siblings would always destroy my disks. I’ve lost way too many movies just by the disks being damaged.

I’m more responsible now obviously, but I still am paranoid about these things and this always want a digital copy as at least a back up.

That being said, you can buy disks for the sims 4. They sell them at Best Buy and maybe Walmart? I think I’ve seen them at Target too.

I do have a disk for Xbox for the base game. But honestly I regret it, as it’s annoying to go put in the disk whenever I want to play. I mostly use the PC now though.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I have full sets of game disks for TS1, 2, & 3, basegame and something else for 4. I view them as insurance; if something goes pooey, I can always reinstall.

completely agree I have S1 complete disc collection on an old Vista laptop, While I own the full S2 version of the game on disc I am able to play the ultimate collection version on a win 7 hard drive that never touches the internet on a seperate hard drive within my current desktop build but would be prepared to go to the trouble in future of playing my S2 version of the game on disc if necessary if the ultimate version ever becomes unplayable. I have S3 digital version of the game on win 10 hard drive which is completely borked possibly due to a win 10 and/or Origin update so my disc version of the S3 game allows me to play fine on my win 7 hard drive with no problems at all so I would be lost without some disc versions of the game and as I have the choice to specifically build my desktop computer to whatever Sims version version of the game I choose I can still continue to play whichever iteration of the game as I feel like it. (thank god because it's my favorite game ever-)

S4 i do play on my win 10 hard drive from time to time and experience no significant issues with it being a digital game but there is no way I would ever stop finding ways to play past iterations of the game whether in disc or digital versions :)
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    The only reason I miss it is because I'm paranoid that the gaming platform distributors like Origin and Steam will get shut down for some reason and I'll lose my games. Although it's unlikely, I could technically be banned from either and never get access back to all the games I've purchased. Because on Steam (idk about origin), I don't actually "own" a copy of the game. I "rent" the right to use it indefinitely.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    No because I don't plan on buying more Sims 4 content. BUT! If I did of course I'd miss it, I loved reading the booklets that would come in Sims 2 expansions on the way home from the store!
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    I miss the booklets . Those were fun.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Other (?)
    I like showing off physical copies of games, but unlike my Switch which has a limited memory, it's easy to get more space on my computer and thus, have digital copies of games. I live far away from any video game stores so being able to just get the game I want then and there is a big plus for digital for me.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Other (?)
    I don't have a preference for the physical or digital game and packs. If I buy the digital packs I buy something like a Visa Gift Card at Target from around the price it'll be with tax to pay for it.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I have a physical copy of the base game, but not for any of the rest. Somehow, with Sims4 it doesn't feel the same as other games I have, particularly for console. I don't need physical copies of it.
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I would like to have a physical copy in case Origin ever folds or just decides to no longer support the game.