Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Miss the Repo Man?

Comments

• ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I liked the repo man more than utilities getting turned off.
    Lol are we forgetting repo men exist in real life????

Everyone saying how unrealistic (lol!!!!!) maybe someone coming in and removing your toilet per say, yes. But what do you think happens when you don’t make your car payments iRL? Or you owe a tone of money and don’t pay it. They send in debt collectors to confiscate and sell your personal items up to the value of your debt. They can even kick you out or take your whole house in some cases!! Repossession and debt collectors, are very real lol..

Lol these forums crack me up some times 🤣🤣🤣

Anyways though, like mentioned it’s kinda removed the incentive to pay your bills. Like there’s no real consequence. I think they did this with a lot of stuff in TS4 though, removed elements of more difficult gameplay- counting it as an improvement/ progression to the game. No, you just made it easier lol.. like you try playing sims 2, it’s so much harder to keep your Sims’s motives up, their mood happy, their job progression going, a decent income, their items from being repossessed lol!
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    A definite yes to that one apart from when I am trying to play a frugal family as I would not cheat to replace the items taken and that could be difficult if they took something like the toilet or shower which they did quite often for some reason-) At any other time I would be annoyed for forgetting to pay the bill then laugh watching what was taken :)
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Utilities getting turned off is better.
    I hated the repoman because I couldn't always tell what item had been taken.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Utilities being turned off doesn’t mean much when you can just take your sims to the gym to shower and the park to eat. Repo man isn’t wholly unrealistic either.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Ever since a burglar stole an irreplaceable vacation souvenier I hate burglars and repomen with a passion. I got it back by befriending the burglar and moving her in, but that was Sims 2, whereas Sims 4, I think, deletes npc inventories. For this reason collectables and similar stuff should be flagged not to get taken.
    And even so, what if the repoman claims a standard item that is coincidentally of personal value to my sims? Or their kids' toys? Nah, thanks, that's a level of realism I do not want in my game. If I want to impose such drama on my sims I do it myself, no npc has the right to do so.

Utilities getting shut off works fine for me, because I charge my sims for the use of many venues, so no free showers for them. Free food, yes, any time. I want them to suffer, not die.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I like... both I think? Haha.
    As it stands right now, after the utilities are off, nothing happens. Would be cool if the first things to go were the utilities, and if you don't pay after that, the repo man shows up.
    This is what I think should happen too.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    Hmm conflicted i think i would like it so that first power gets shut for a long time and then repoman, or gangsters show up to take some of your stuff if u haven't paid >:) but that should be after reasonably long time has passed because i dont want people get their beautiful builds ruined by it just forgetting to pay bills for couple days
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    As much as I do miss a lot of NPCs from past games, the repo man is not one of them. Utilities getting shut off is more realistic. And I just found the repo man annoying after a while.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I like... both I think? Haha.
    As it stands right now, after the utilities are off, nothing happens. Would be cool if the first things to go were the utilities, and if you don't pay after that, the repo man shows up.

This, right here. I totally agree with this.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2019
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I wasn't sure how to answer this, since there isn't an option for both. I like the utilities getting shut off, it's more realistic, but I wish the repo man came after awhile. Your Sims can live just fine without the power, so it's not as much of a consequence as say, having your fridge taken.

I agree with this. Why not both? It would be nice to have the repo man back as a final consequence of longstanding unpaid debts. I miss the firefighter, police and burglar NPCs even more though.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    After how distraught sims got in S3 over the Repo Man, I'm glad we don't have him around anymore. Honestly, I like the more realistic aspect of the power being shut off. I don't usually run into that issue, but I know it's there and I'm grateful for that aspect of the game.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited August 2019
    Why can't we have both! Just because the lights are off doesnt mean that's going to stop the IRL repo man. Our sims need some more actual consequences in their lives. Pay your bills or lose your lights and the big screen tv you bought instead of paying the rent.
    Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    I've only played Sims 4, but the repo man sounds better.
    Pegasys wrote: »
    The utilities getting shut off is more realistic, but right now there are no real consequences as the sim can pay the bill at any time and there are no "reconnection fees." I liked the repo man as the sims would go so crazy and it was a funny sequence.

I think the utilities shutting off would be better if there was more lasting consequence - like late fees, a delay in the utilities getting turned back on (like they have to wait for 2-4 hours) or an embarrassed moodlet, or something... (maybe our sims need a credit rating?! Ha!!).

I agree. Definitely need something when the power goes out. It's just... pointless now.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    There was no controlling what items the Repo Man would take, and on occasion I lost masterpiece portraits my Sims had painted, and other irreplaceable, one-of-a-kind items.

I don't mind selling things off to pay a bill - and never skipped paying bills deliberately - but I prefer to decide what my Sims let go for cash.

Having the utilities shut off is enough of a ding. I am fine with that, instead.
  • gameliagamelia Posts: 703 Member
    The repo man was fun, but it's so 1990s. Does the repo man still exist in real life, other than for repossessing cars?
    --+++ Simming since 2000. All packs. All in! +++--
  • halihali Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2019
    I miss having consequence it this game--a sense of things mattering in this game. The threat of having one's things taken for payment is greater than merely getting one's power supply cut.

The threat of the repo's existence in TS2 made it so that I was sure pay my bills on time. With TS4, if one doesn't pay his/her bills one is really only inconvenienced, its a slight nuisance. There's not even a fee for late payment, nothing. Because a sense of loss or cost doesn't exist I never feel pressing urgency or care as I would with the threat of having some hard* earned purchase of mine in TS2 possibly being repossessed.

*Success and taking care of one's sims took more thought and effort in TS2 than it does in TS4. Money is much easier to earn in TS4. Is there even challenge to earning money is this game that's not self-imposed (e.g. making a rule of one's self only to sell to other sims instead of selling items into the void, etc)?
    Post edited by hali on
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    I've only played Sims 4, but the repo man sounds better.
    the one i voted for but not really:

i want the utilities to turn off first then at the very end the repo-man will appear. i want both.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I've seen a car repossessed, and it wasn't nearly so dramatic. The car just left the driveway, and it was gone.

I think the point of it for me is the drama and the fun! It was something unexpected, and something that felt like real consequences. Utilities being turned off doesn't feel like much of a threat to me.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    He was annoying. I prefer the utilities being shut down.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited August 2019
    Not really. If you aren't renting the items but already own them, it makes no sense to take them away and was just really annoying. Having utilities shut off is more realistic. I do miss burglars though.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I never dealt with him, so I don't care either way. The lights being switched off feels more realistic though.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Nope, not even remotely. I wouldn't say turning off utilities is better, but it doesn't matter to me, because just like in real life, I pay the bills before I spend money on anything else.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Although I do miss the nostalgia of having a repo man and the anxiety they induced, I think getting utilities shut off is more realistic
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well... i believe that utilities getting turned off are not as scary than the repo-man. If you never pay the bills, the only thing thats going to happen is being in the dark. Now that we have the "off-the-grid" lot trait, its even less scary. Maybe they could add the repo-man as a second form of punishing you. Like, if you don't pay your bills they turn off your power, but that doesn't mean your bills paid off. If you don't pay the bills in a certain amount of time after the energy is turned off, then the repo-man shows up to great a nightmare. hehe I miss him.

@Lustianicia I miss the repo-man because it adds a more threatning aspect to paying bills than turning the power off does. Its more exciting and scary to lose your furniture. The power doesn't mean much.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I miss consequence in general tbh. One of the core issues with Sims 4 for me is the constant sunshine and bubbles.