Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think University is OVERRATED!

Comments

• runtmcruntmc Posts: 9 New Member
    University has ALWAYS been my favorite pack - 1, 2 & 3. I love the interactions they get at school - joining a secret club, going to parties, streaking, having to study to be successful. It just felt like a full immersion in to the experience which is why I want it for 4.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I hated school, so in Sims2 there was no way I was prolonging the trauma for my sims. By the time Sims3 came out with University, I'd gone to further education and I hated that as well but I figured I'd try it in the game and got bored within minutes, but I did love playing the plant sims so that made it worth while. When it comes out in Sims 4, I'll give it a go but it's not a play or death situation for me. I'm shallow, I like new stuff to do, to decorate with and new clothing and lets face it, Sims 3 had some great clothing options in that pack. The concept of Univeristy Packs for me is a bit like Laundry day, something I have to do in real life but would never use in fantasy. It annoys enough at the moment with the way schools work in Sims 4 pertaining to skills, but it is what it is....a grind.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I would love to see University, but seeing all the unreasonable comments on it takes away all the excitemend and hype from me. I think not all the people who are shouting for University REALLY want university. I think most of them are sims haters and they write these comments to make more negative comments seen.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Well, we have doctor and science careers and others that should require some training or a lot. It BOTHERS me that we have unskilled doctors passing as capable ones. I NEED that immersion.

Or maybe the "education-requiring" careers (IMO) are overrated and should be dropped. (Kidding.)

One thing that IS overrated about the packs is that the careers tied to college in an unmodded game are ALL WRONG. Hopefully Maxis will get it right in the future. Even though Get to Work already came out and is a separate pack, I see no reason why having both University and GTW installed wouldn't mean your game now requests your Sims go to college before becoming a scientist and maybe even go to EXTRA college before your Sim even thinks about becoming a medical intern, or whatever that first level is actually called (and, btw, nursing ought to be SEPARATE, ugh). I'm tired of the lax silliness of Sim careers. Silliness can go elsewhere.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I always found it boring even in Sims 2 but I know a lot of people want it so I am not going to step on their dreams haha.

I active class in 3 was boring. Time went too fast and I didn't have time to really have my sims party in Sims 2 and 3. I had more fun in sims 2 University than 3 though. I just hope 4 will allow more than one family at the University so I can work it into my rotation. I don't want to be stuck only sending one family there. If I cannot send more than one family, I may skip it. Seasons already was tough to work around with rotation. I am stuck playing my families 4 weeks before rotating and some families are just too boring for 4 sims weeks.

(Maybe I'm the only one who loves the active lecture, haha. I assume your seasonal rotation issue was just for Sims 2, and in that case I'd feel similarly but take a different approach. But I'll try to keep this *more* / somewhat OT while still replying. [Besides, this topic title is hardly relevant to TS4 since S4 Uni isn't released let alone rated at all, over/under/evenly, so keeping this "OT" to the topic is different from OT to the category, difficult and even confusing.])

Re: multiple "families." Even without mods, in Sims 3 you can do this easily. Move the desired Sims in together temporarily. They're still not family and you don't have to really play them as living together back home. Playing that way doesn't bother me, as I like the idea of moving them somewhere out of the way so I can pretend they're not around for a little while after the term (because I don't like how time works with travel). Even though I have the traveler mod, I like the idea of moving them in together just so they're out of the way somewhere or at least not so obviously back home with their families.

Ah, that's another thing I want different, but expect it to happen anyway in TS4: the way time goes on when Sims travel. It will likely work the way I like for the S4 players (time *not* stopping during travel <3 ).

Hopefully, though, Sims 4 will be VERY flexible with Uni and break past old limitations, to match the realism of how time passes in TS4. Even though I won't play it, I want to see the franchise move forward. <3
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    One thing that IS overrated about the packs is that the careers tied to college in an unmodded game are ALL WRONG.

Ever since Sims 2 the games allowed players to go into medicine and science without a degree and when the University pack was added, formal education was required for careers like artist, paranormal and sports agent. :/

• PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I'm indifferent about a university pack, I didn't particularly enjoy school and chose not to attend university IRL because I wasn't interested. I do think there will be a university pack at some point though, it's so highly requested that I can't see it not happening.

If the developers included the option for young adults, adults and elders to enroll as well as teens, and gave us decent career options once a Sim graduates then maybe I'd be inclined to give it a whirl.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    It's funny to me that some of the comments have to do with not wanting University because someone has already gone to college IRL. I am WELL past my university days (like, Sims 1 wasn't even out yet when I was in school). But I can't imagine playing without University... in fact, I play in one main save, and I refuse to age anyone up or move to the next generation until we get University, which is why I'm hardly playing or buying new packs at this point.

It's not so much that I enjoy the gameplay, even, although it has pros and cons... I mean, I do enjoy it, but it's more that I can't conceive of most of my sims not going to college. Not all of them, of course, but the doctors, the scientists, the (please, please, let us eventually have) lawyers, the snooty wealthy corporate types... there's simply no way they wouldn't have a degree in any world I can imagine.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I play sims to escape university in my life, so university really isn't a pack I want to play now. I don't mind if it comes, but I really don't think I'll purchase it, unless there is something very, very cool. No idea what that would be.

I played university a bit in TS2. My sims made some friends there and it was rather nice, the careers were okay too, but most of the time I didn't send my teens there and it was annoying when they were sad about not going to university.
  • fox_corpsefox_corpse Posts: 15 Member
    It would be good if it focused more on the social aspects of university.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I wouldn't say it's overrated, but it's definitely not a pack that I'm pining for. I've been happy with the last few packs so I can't complain if University is the next EP to be released.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    I never really got University in any of the previous versions, I must have time management issues as my sims always seem to be working towards the grades and I never seem to get to do any thing else, so it just feels like a boring grindfest to me, now if the expansion was for education as a whole, now that might be more interesting, private education schools, home schools, boarding school, change it from what it is now, then I'd be more interested. (this is not to say I won't buy university, I will of course, but I'm not looking forward to it as such)
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I totally agree. The last thing I want is another pack that focuses solely on young adults and ignores ever other age group. I'm cool with a school pack, but a university pack would be a "no" from me.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I would love an education expansion. One of my favorite mods is Zerbu's Go to School mod. But I would like to be able to have more than one school and a homeschooling option as well. I think if there is a University mod, it shouldn't limit the careers available for everyone to use, but instead should give you a head start. I tend to think of the first levels of the jobs as either university or grad school internships anyway. So I imagine that Sims have an advanced educational system that allows teens to complete their core requirements in high school, and then, they do on the job training and study at home as well. So it would be cool if University allowed young adults to learn the skills needed for their future careers in a fun way. Not just grinding away reading skill books. I would also love some new careers, especially a teaching career.
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    If sims could go to university while living at home I might hate it less, but in past iterations of this game, I had to go with them to this place and the whole game was on pause while I was stuck there doing this thing. As a rotational player with a lot of other households, I despised the process. I tried doing things like decorating the dorm and going all out with the sim's clothes, and nothing really helped make it comfortable. I hated college and school IRL and this wasn't any better. I ended up giving doctors degrees with a cheat and that was the end of that. I don't even particularly want a general school pack.

All that said, I think family players and people who want to relive school (ugh!) should get this pack because it's always been popular and EA should probably make it. All I'm saying is that if they do make it, and that stupid llama mascot starts showing up at my sims' houses over and over again, he's going to be vampire food.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Yup every vampire and alien needs a higher education :D
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I find it ridiculous for sims to end up as highly skilled professionals without a college degree. Seriously....a surgeon who never went to college? It's just not realistic. Plus it's a huge part of many people's play styles. I want the option of my sims attending uni or not attending to add to my storytelling.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited August 2019
    I really want it. College has been an important part of my life. I was younger than most of my peers in grade school, and then I skipped a grade, so I was in college during very formative years of my youth. I've also taken lots of classes as an adult. I'm actually starting another class next week. 😊

But the biggest reason I want it is because I think schooling is fun! I play a lot of studious Sims and I think it would be fun to play the college experience with them. I just hope that Sims of all ages can attend.

I even enjoy making my poor high school Sims do all of their extra credit. 😁
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    edited August 2019
    I agrees it's overrated, college and University is not always good thing, it's more of business making money and profit rather than help people educated (as long it's properly and not brainwash or lie or wrong teaching) and might get job that gave higher income (not always truth, sometime best not go there and still richer, if one understand how to create goods/product, I found that school might good teaching basic at early of young, but not more than that, anything more than that is more of brainwash,

How do they know in past in detail and got wrong or deep space, think they know it but got it wrong, time to time when they had not been there in place and time and experience. Don't get me wrong, depend, if you want doctor or teacher, all mean, but college and university is not all to be in end, sometime one are much wiser not go to college and university. Right now it's not very cost efficient for common people and it's trap for people getting into debits.

it's supposed to be center of experience and knowledge share freely to help humankind at no cost, it's should not blocked way for profit and hurt/limited humankind by doing that, it's like you are charging children money for learning ABC. But that's what I believes. I never go college and University, it's not for me (mostly because I'm deaf and my memory isn't good) unless freely knowledge as long as properly, not wrongly knowledge.

• LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    I've never understood why so many people like university in The Sims!

I will only be for it if its a pack that is based on upgrading the whole schooling system. Active school days for children and teens, teacher career, preschool for the toddlers (though still hoping for a Generations EP in the future), university, homeschooling, boarding schools...

What do you think?

I concur. I never like Toddlers or University. BUT I do often love what they put INTO the University pack.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2019
    I find it ridiculous for sims to end up as highly skilled professionals without a college degree. Seriously....a surgeon who never went to college? It's just not realistic. Plus it's a huge part of many people's play styles. I want the option of my sims attending uni or not attending to add to my storytelling.

But there are so many ways that the game breaks immersion with its lack of realism. This is a drop in the ocean.

I mean, we’re talking about a game in which one man can build a space-faring rocket in his back yard and blast off into orbit from a launchpad right next to his house.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    EA MAXIS should introduce Community Colleges, Teacher Careers, Focus Groups, Holiday Parties @ the College & Graduations. I got my Upgrading & College Certificates while I was raising my daughter & I was in my 30s. College or University is not just for the Young Adults.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    University wouldn't be my first choice; but the overall school system needs to be updated. No proms,graduations, private or home schooling, field trips (rabbit holes or taking your sims to like a museum, etc...), so I hope they think about these things as well when bring back University. I think High School Graduation came with Sims 3 Ambition; but Sims 4 didn't get that.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I personally don't care for it since I found it boring when I played in the past. I honestly just don't understand the appeal. But hey if university is your jam, rock on. I don't think it's objectively a bad idea or anything, it just hasn't worked for me yet. But they could do a really good job with TS4 university and maybe I'd decide to buy it and really love it 🤷🏼‍♀️

As long as the people who are big university fans feel they do a good job, that's what matters. It's the worst when something you're looking forward to doesn't pan out well.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    Loved it in 3. In 4 it'll probably be watered down and boring so I don't even know if I'd care either.