Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build or Decor Based on Photo

QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
Have you based any structures or decor on a photo you found on google or elsewhere? It doesn't have to be an exact match, just inspired by. If so, share your screenshots here and include the original photo with credit, or provide a link to the photo.

I base things on google photos all the time. Here's one I did recently. Givens Hotel, built ~1843 and torn down 1889. Source: The Daily Gazette.
33520f2a24a1b286c4342df4973ac73f1ecf7a86.png

Givens Boarding House that I built.
3e4344408263044fba195fbcb5da279d913a0bca.png

A few of my single sims live here. I just use door locks to make sure everyone goes to the right room.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    Love the look of that lot!
    I try to make builds based on photos or plans I really like online, but I'm a terrible builder and they never end up looking right!
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @sueplayssims Thank you so much! Sometimes my builds come out surprisingly good, and sometimes they’re just a total fail, LOL. I have 2 monitors, and I like to keep my inspiration photos on the 2nd monitor so they’re always in view, so I think that helps.
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    YES! I, as horrile as it may sound, have been building a Museum based on the H.H. Holmes Hotel with hidden rooms, shafts, rooms with apparently no doors and the works. I even have ghosts roaming around at night. I don't have any pics atm and my mods folder is empty for building for Gallery love, so it's a hot mess at the moment, because it's full of CC. I'll see if I can get her back up to par for some pics.
    @Taoron I didn't even know what that was until I looked it up just now. That is horrifying but also really cool, LOL.
    Yeah. I haven't touched it for a while. The framework is there, but I'm going to have to do some work on the windows, doors and wall coverings, because I loaded it with no MODS folder and now everything is gone.

Same basic idea as what you posted and same time period and when I saw yours, it made me think of it. =) Your does look cool. Nice job. =)
    @Taoron Thank you :)
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    edited August 2019
    My very first TS4 build was inspired by a real Victorian building. I google map searched it by address 2155 Central Ave., Alameda, CA so that I could view different angles of it. The photo is from pinterest... don't know who to credit.

pBTbqbO.jpg

Victorian Town house (Base game, since I didn't have any packs then.)

WrtWcWD.jpg
    D1lzh4p.jpg
    NRoHD85.jpg
    xe7TKnL.jpg
    lu9moPN.jpg
    Post edited by Gwiniel on
    @Gwiniel Wow that looks amazing! I love all the detail you put into it, and I love how you really got the most out of the yard space. Fantastic!
    Thank you @QueenofMyshuno <3<3<3 I like your Givens Boarding House version of the original Hotel <3<3<3

@Taoron I hope you can show us some screenies of your build some day as it sounds fantastic! <3

Working on one now, based off a photo, which expanded to Google Maps, Trip Advisor, their Architect and number of other sources. It's a little different due to wall height variant resrictions in game, but I have been at this for a total of about 20 hours at the moment and having a blast with it. Now that I've found bb.showliveeditobjects (Thank you to whoever posted that,) it's taking longer because there is so much stuff. Major game changer. I think our Birthday friends from this week's challenge might have their party here, in the private room.

So, I guess this is also another WIP. 'Montebello Ristorante'. (actual names changed to protect the innocent)

BgyudXx.jpg

R1Zij9g.png
    Looking awesome @Taoron <3<3<3
    Thanks @Gwiniel 10 Hours or so later and I'm still working on it. :o
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    What a great thread. I hope I don’t creep out my neighbors taking this a little too far. I do really like historical blueprints and such
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    Awesome thread idea and build @QueenofMyshuno, and congrats on being featured in this week's Friday Highlights B)!

Great builds @Gwiniel and @Taoron B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

• BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
    I'm loving everyone's builds inspired by pictures! Super lovely and awesome! Wonderful job!! <3
    @Taoron Your restaurant build is fantastic and so realistic right down to the landscaping, and the parking lot is a nice touch.

@coolsim9999999 I didn't even know this thread was featured, so thanks for telling me that. That's awesome! And thank you for the compliment on my build. :)

I hope more people will post here, as I love seeing the screenshots and am always blown away by people's creativity.
    @Taoron Your restaurant build is fantastic and so realistic right down to the landscaping, and the parking lot is a nice touch.

@coolsim9999999 I didn't even know this thread was featured, so thanks for telling me that. That's awesome! And thank you for the compliment on my build. :)

I hope more people will post here, as I love seeing the screenshots and am always blown away by people's creativity.

Thank you! =)
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Those are all great replicas of the actual buildings. Well done.
    I needed a mansion for Windenburg where my sims can spend Christmas day so googled floor plans of mansions.
    I've googled floor plans for homes before too, it's a good way to get some ideas.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • meowcatmeowkittymeowcatmeowkitty Posts: 85 Member
    I use photos for reference a lot

The-Ancient-Ram-Inn.jpg
    Ancient_Ram_Inn.jpg

unknown.png
    An old attempt at building this supposedly haunted inn. I've learned a lot about building since then, so it might be worth trying again some time
    I build stuff and I'm always open for constructive criticism, so feel free to do that
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Good representation @meowcatmeowkitty. Is it on the Gallery? I'm looking for a spooky inn/hostel for some of my magical folk who'll be living in Glimmerbrook.
  • meowcatmeowkittymeowcatmeowkitty Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks! It's not currently on the gallery, and sadly the original might be gone forever. I could try to recreate it. One issue, though, would be furnishing, especially without CC. I could upload it unfurnished, or do my best to recreate it from the few interior shots I can see...
    I build stuff and I'm always open for constructive criticism, so feel free to do that
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Thanks! It's not currently on the gallery, and sadly the original might be gone forever. I could try to recreate it. One issue, though, would be furnishing, especially without CC. I could upload it unfurnished, or do my best to recreate it from the few interior shots I can see...

Unfurnished would be perfect! I usually redesign and redecorate the interiors anyway. Thanks! 😊
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    edited September 2019
    I built a restaurant once (based on memory) but kept it fairly accurate to photos of the place.
    Photo of Busy Bee Restaurant IRL

My rendition:

01.jpg

Doesn't have many downloads (perhaps because it looks boring or has a couple of DLC packs), but I've enjoyed using it in several saves. :D
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • bubbajoe621bubbajoe621 Posts: 86 Member
    > @QueenofMyshuno said:
    >
    > I base things on google photos all the time.

So glad you started this thread, building from life is my favorite thing to do but I wouldn't have thought to post it as a category. When I get pic privileges I will add something.

> @Gwiniel said:
    > My very first TS4 build was inspired by a real Victorian building. I google map searched it by address 2155 Central Ave., Alameda, CA s

I just did a build from Alameda! The Brehaut House at 2070 San Jose Avenue. So many great Victorians there. You can see it on the gallery, userID bubbajoe62. I called it Alameda Painted Lady.

> @Taoron said:
    > Working on one now...

Your restaurant is looking good. Don't you love it when you can find a build item that is pretty much the same like that fence!

> @Taoron said:
    > Working on one now...

Your restaurant is looking good. Don't you love it when you can find a build item that is pretty much the same like that fence!

YES! Occasionally, when working off a photo, I'm like, "OMG!!! I have that!!!" LOL The windows were the hardest for that restaurant. I wanted something I knew I had in a CC item and it was killing me not to use it. I get that a lot when I do older houses and I so want my Georgian windows, but I know if I share it, I'm the only one who will enjoy it.