Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Photography Tips & Tricks

I really haven't done much with photography so far, so any tips or tricks you would like to post would be great!

Comments

• MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2019
    I dont know if you watched the livestream, but they mentioned "the rule of thirds" which is the easiest way to compose an interesting photo with the tools available in the game. Instead of trying to explain, because I doubt I would do a good job heres a link. (Or if youtube's not your thing you can just Google it.) https://youtu.be/HMjvvltQpmw

Also because I realized this wasnt in the video but the horizon shouldn't split your photo in half, especially for a landscape picture.
    Post edited by Melmack on
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Very good tip, @Melmack . Thanks.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Take a lot of pictures and delete a lot of pictures so you only use the best ones.

It’s fun to go on a walk and take pictures of stuff you see.

Close-ups of common objects are sometimes interesting.

The EA poses are pretty stupid and repetitive. When photographing people, I do one of 3 ways. 1) Tell then to do something (like hold hands) and then take the pic. 2) Turn off free will and have them stand where you want and then take the pic (they’ll close their eyes, look away, and do weird facial expressions, so you’ll probably need to do it more than once). 3) Use poses.

When you create a new household and you want to have a child or teen, start them as toddlers, take cute baby pictures, then immediately age them up. Then you’ll have some family history (sort of).
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I found out that the easiest way to have several sims pose together is to place marks on the ground and have them wait there.

Also find the best angle, avoid any ugly stuff in the background (trashcan, dirty dishes, dirty laundry, sims in horrible outfits etc).
    @Dianesims Are you talking about marks from Get Famous? That pack is next on my list. How long will they stay on a mark once you tell them to wait there? This could be useful for so many things.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    No the Moschino ones. They stay quite long unless they need to pee, shower, eat, sleep etc.
    @Dianesims Are you talking about marks from Get Famous? That pack is next on my list. How long will they stay on a mark once you tell them to wait there? This could be useful for so many things.

@Dianesims Oh okay thanks. Good to know!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    When using the camera on the tripod use A and D to set up the shots from around the sims... sideshots ect.
    Also using the normal camera controls Q and E will lower or raise the picture I'm really glad we can use Q because it always seems more angled from above.
    egTcBMc.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I found out that the easiest way to have several sims pose together is to place marks on the ground and have them wait there.

Also find the best angle, avoid any ugly stuff in the background (trashcan, dirty dishes, dirty laundry, sims in horrible outfits etc).

Can you place as many marks as you like? I'm wondering if I can gather a group of sims together that way (I know only 3 would pose, but I mean just to have them standing as a group).
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I made a couple videos for my Youtube channel with tips on using the Photo Studio object. One of those focuses on the backdrop, and can also be useful with the new camera features.

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    This seems like a good topic to ask a sims photography question I've been wondering about.

Can you resize photos after you take them? I am always forgetting to change sizes when I'm taking pictures and I'd like to be able to decide later if I want them bigger or smaller.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    @Daephene you can resize them in bb mode the same way you resize furniture. I'm on console so I dont kjow the PC cheat/keys but if you aren't familiar it's easy to find online. But fyi when you blow up the smaller pictures the frame blows up too so you can end up with a weird super chunky frame. But on the flip side when you shrink the larger pictures, to me at least, they seem to look 'better quality.' For this reason I always tend to make sure I take at least large size picture for any shot I think I will want to play around with sizing. Hope that makes some sort of sense to you and is helpful.
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    I made a couple videos for my Youtube channel with tips on using the Photo Studio object. One of those focuses on the backdrop, and can also be useful with the new camera features.

This is really good. Thanks!