Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which hair type do you prefer? Alpha or clay?

Comments

• JurnéEndsJurnéEnds Posts: 59 Member
    I love alpha hair though I am a bit ocd so make over all sims with it as I do not like to see clay anywhere 😂. I guess because I am an adult playing the Sims (been simming since the beginning of it all) I tend to prefer a more realistic look in my game that alpha ccs provide. My ocd (and limited computer space) force me to go through most of my cc so I typically whit down my alpha to certain creators and styles. I think perhaps since the game has been around for a while, there are better alpha ccs to choose from now and I do not notice the issues others really mentioned about lengths and styles.

S.N.: I read through the post and saw the comments about alpha hair makes a sim look like a prostitute and had to laugh -the person clearly have a very weird notion of what a prostitute actually looks like and two besides the censoring tone that comes with equating alpha hair with prostitution, it does not really shed much light on why clay hair is preferred other than apparently looking like a prostitute is possibly a bad thing (I am not certain if they mean it is or isn’t as they did not indicate one way or the other although guessing prostitutes are bad in their eyes). It is unfortunately a bit of a divisive statement that does nothing to illuminate the person preference. But it did cause me to giggle so there’s that 😂.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    I prefer alpha hairstyles. I am not a fan of the cartoonish look & prefer my Sims to be more realistic. I tend to use custom skins, hair, & eyes. I'm also a fan of adding skin details to give more unique faces & better definition to noses & such. I just loaded the latest patch so I'll have to add cc back in slowly (I always do it in batches & then test to make sure the game will run).
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    lol who even came up with these terms?? Clay or Alpha? Clearly suggesting one is greatly superior? I’m guessing a CC creator lol

Anyways, “alpha” looks bad to me, not to mention it clearly doesn’t fit in with anything else in the game. As people have mentioned you have to makeover your whole save file or it looks totally out of place. And you don’t really see these kind of graphics in other games, which always makes me feel “Alpha” items are actually cheap and knock off-y. I’ve seen videos on how they create “Alpha” hair, and it is cheap in comparison. Lots of copy-pasting of 2D textures as opposed to creating a new 3D mesh. Lazy and problematic, pretty sure this technique was universally ditched around the time of PlayStation 2 coming out lol..

Don’t get me wrong there are some bad ones in TS4, especially some of the earlier base game ones, but a lot more effort went into making them. To me it’s a quality and consistency issue, like I’m one of those people who never buys the cheap cheap own brands at the store; coz I prefer to have higher quality items. Plus, I didn’t spend all that money on this game to clog it up with gross CC items and icons everywhere. It just makes your game messy.
    Sorry to all the CC creators/ lovers, just my opinion, each to their own 😘
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    EA MAXIS should do the hairstyles like the mods they look very beautiful.
  • suzy21suzy21 Posts: 7 New Member
    Alpha hair, clay hair looks so choppy and they doesn't seem to move around. Alpha hair looks more realistic & fun
  • NatureadNaturead Posts: 1 New Member
    I prefer clay but it’s got to be well done. Ive seem some really horrible clay hairs. I just don’t like how wispy alpha hair is. It always looks so flat and thin like it belongs to an elderly person.
  • shrubshrub Posts: 10 New Member
    I've been playing since release, and I've switched my mods folder from alpha to maxis match about 10 times now. I love both but I've been super into clay recently! It's just so cute and pure
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Clay. Alpha looks so wrong compared to the rest of the stuff in the game.
  • xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    Clay. I dislike Alpha because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game and is pretty buggy in live mode.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I prefer clay (also called "Maxis Match") hair. Alpha CC in general is something I try to avoid.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I originally said alpha, then "it depends," and now I'm favoring Maxis Match, lol.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Zulf_12Zulf_12 Posts: 109 Member
  • TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    I'm more into Alpha. Especially for photos. I love me some realistic sims.

By the by, @xstxrrysequence how did you get that gif for your sig?
    Simming for twenty years...
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited September 2019
    For most styles alpha but not all alpha hairs are created equal. I'm fine with game hair for certain styles. But specially black hair textures and styles are limited so I use cc.

I think how alpha looks compared to game is a matter of taste. I don't like the super realistic skins with photoskinning human faces. I do use some overlays but they only enhance Sims features. I still like my Sims to look like Sims.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I was about to comment on this thread again, but realized I already did.
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    For TS4? Absolutely clay. It actually matches the rest of the game. It's cartoony, which is exactly what I need. Also, on the CC creator side of it, it's just much easier to mesh all kinds of clay hairstyles.

And when everyone has clay hair, nobody does. That is, it just passes as the style of the game, it looks fine. But if you put a single sim in there with alpha hair, things start to look wrong.

Alpha really only worked in TS2 and TS3 anyway. Clay hairs would look incredibly out of place in those games.

So yep, this is still my stance on it. I definitely prefer clay.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Clay for the sims 4 but I got a couple of alpha hairstyles when I see MM creators lack of imagination and copycat too much..same for clothes and shoes. For the sims 3 I like both style too.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • penguinlover1026penguinlover1026 Posts: 1 New Member
    I like the alpha hair wayyyy better
  • DeleteDelete Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2019
    Alpha wooooo

It doesnt look bad in the game imo. I have no idea why thats the main argument against alpha

MM is really plastic looking but I tend to mix both in game.

And MM users are so aggressive when they see alpha sims so thats another point off Maxis match for me.
    Post edited by Delete on
  • LoverSimsLoverSims Posts: 4 New Member
    Clay, I find most of the time alpha looks great in cas and then you go in world and they all have the same glitch that makes them lose the colour and go weird two toned. Maxis match just looks more polished and hq to me tbh
  • HollyHanoHollyHano Posts: 88 Member
    You dont need to worry about alpha hair not matching the art style if you cc the absolute plum out of the rest of your sims as well. New skins, makeup, clothes, nails, etc. :smiley:
    Please call me Spell :)
  • WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    I’m so used to seeing the clay hair in sims 4 I favor it. I like the slight cartoon look it gives and like other people say it fits in with the rest of The Sims 4.
  • maichanmaichan Posts: 39 Member
    I love alpha hair. I like how my Sims look more realistic with them and I think they are more detailed than clay. Anyway, I have some clay hairs. I like both, although I prefer alpha.
  • SimsBeeeSimsBeee Posts: 30 Member
    I love Maxis Match CC BUT, a huge BUT, BUUUUT alpha hair is just way too good, way much better than clay for my taste haha
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited November 2019
    I call “clay hair” Fisher Price “Little People” hair
    71YrNn1WylL._SL1500_.jpg
    Because I swear that’s what it looks like.

I’ve seen some TS4 players who work wonders with alpha hair and those sims look fantastic. It’s just that they seem out of place in a sims world that looks like Fisher price vomited all over a plastics factory. If the trees looked a little more realistic, and every single generated sim had alpha hair then it would look great.

Whoever created these sims (kudos to the creator) AdeDarma (TS4 hairs) I’ve got a metric-carp ton of AdeDarma’s TS3 hairs (since that’s what I play)
    7682434b70230e2c8957e91e419490f0.jpg
    and those who do similar with alpha hair; this was what I’d hoped TS4 would have been.

I’m also partial to Nightcrawler’s TS4 hairs as she does both TS4 and TS3 hairs.
    SC4-100024_MAIN.jpg
    This one pictures TS4 but i’ve got her TS3 version. Which ended up on River.
    Screenshot-103.jpg
    My only time with TS4 was playing the demo and using the character creator demo which only allows Maxis hair (grrr...clay hair)

River%2526Haruo2_TS4_w-thoughtbubbles.jpg
    I’m with River on this one.

I can only hope that TS5 will look that way or I fear that Sims 3 will be the only version of Sims that I will own.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~