Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic: Hogwarts?

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member

From the following article:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/home/leaving?target=https://www-polygon-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/gaming/2019/8/20/20813827/sims-4-realm-of-magic-trailer-release-date?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.polygon.com%2Fgaming%2F2019%2F8%2F20%2F20813827%2Fsims-4-realm-of-magic-trailer-release-date

The latest Sims 4 game pack is basically Hogwarts
Joining the long line of magic-themed Sims expansions.

The latest Sims 4 game pack has been revealed to be entitled Realm of Magic and introduces a whole magical world full of spell-casting Sims. In the trailer, we see a regular ol’ humdrum Sim stumble into this new realm, where he meets a woman who gives him fantastical powers. There are wand fights, colorful potions, broomsticks, and a city full of magic.

The Sims series has a long tradition of introducing magical-themed additions to the life simulation. The original game had Makin’ Magic and The Sims 3 had Supernatural. The Sims 2, meanwhile, introduced witches via Apartment Life, for some reason. Currently, The Sims 4 has vampires, aliens, ghosts, mermaids, skeletons, and PlantSims — oh my!

Earlier this year, the StrangerVille game pack featured a paranormal storyline set in an eerie desert town, while the Island Living expansion pack introduced the island world of Sulani, filled with volcanoes, beaches, and mermaids.

Sims 4: Realm of Magic will come out on Sept. 10
Post edited by simgirl1010 on

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Eh, I only see as much Hogwarts in Realm of Magic as JKR used from folklore and such to build her Wizarding world. Familars aren't really a thing in Harry Potter (they're more pets with useful tricks... sometimes) and in this they seem more active (basing this on tweets, not the trailer itself) which is more in keeping with D&D Familiars and general folklore (minus the demon part... maybe.)

And.. I kinda see the Magical Realm as more Hogsmede than Hogwarts...
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I wish it was.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Henry Puffer is all I ever wanted yiss
    5vJrxmT.png
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    It doesn't really remind me of Hogwarts. There are wands and brooms yes, but that's pretty generic magic stuff.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2019
    The latest Sims 4 game pack is basically Hogwarts
    Joining the long line of magic-themed Sims expansions.

The latest Sims 4 game pack has been revealed to be entitled Realm of Magic and introduces a whole magical world full of spell-casting Sims. In the trailer, we see a regular ol’ humdrum Sim stumble into this new realm, where he meets a woman who gives him fantastical powers. There are wand fights, colorful potions, broomsticks, and a city full of magic.

The Sims series has a long tradition of introducing magical-themed additions to the life simulation. The original game had Makin’ Magic and The Sims 3 had Supernatural. The Sims 2, meanwhile, introduced witches via Apartment Life, for some reason. Currently, The Sims 4 has vampires, aliens, ghosts, mermaids, skeletons, and PlantSims — oh my!

Earlier this year, the StrangerVille game pack featured a paranormal storyline set in an eerie desert town, while the Island Living expansion pack introduced the island world of Sulani, filled with volcanoes, beaches, and mermaids.

Sims 4: Realm of Magic will come out on Sept. 10

https://www-polygon-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/gaming/2019/8/20/20813827/sims-4-realm-of-magic-trailer-release-date?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.polygon.com/gaming/2019/8/20/20813827/sims-4-realm-of-magic-trailer-release-date

It kinda isn't.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    The magic world reminds me of a broked planet that split in parts but survived like in Doctor Who with the Celtic cult spells and stuff. Very cool.
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    It doesn't really remind me of Hogwarts. There are wands and brooms yes, but that's pretty generic magic stuff.

Exactly. I felt no Harry Potter vibe either. I actually was more reminded of the Vampires GP than anything else. :p
    aSE16f8.gif
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yeah the only HP vibes I felt was from the town and that’s because it reminds me of Hogsmeade.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Doesn't really remind me of Hogwarts, but the shopping center reminds me just a little bit of Diagon Alley. I think they took inspiration from lots of folklore and pop culture about witches/wizards.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    hmm.. how is it Hogwarts?
    I've seen no castle, it's not a school, I don't think there be classes to go to, no children, no Quidditch, no moving stairs....
    everything I saw is pretty much stuff which can be found in multiple kinds of magic themed books/games/movies and lore, nothing screaming Hogwarts to me.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited August 2019
    Doesn't really remind me of Hogwarts, but the shopping center reminds me just a little bit of Diagon Alley. I think they took inspiration from lots of folklore and pop culture about witches/wizards.

I agree. It looks like diagon alley, but floating in space, lol. :smiley: : I can't wait for my sims to visit it.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    Actually, the only legitimate lifestates we have are:

- Aliens
    - Ghosts
    - Vampires
    - Mermaids

The rest can be categorized as temporary. It seems like they are adding the Spellcaster as a new lifestate for this GP.

The above is an underwhelming list compared to what we received from past iterations. 5 years of The Sims 4 and we only have so little occult’s to choose from. I’m not sure if this is something to be in awe about (Reference to “Oh my!”).

Here’s hoping that they will patch in Werewolves for Cats & Dogs owners or they actually make a dedicated Supernatural EP with the occult’s mentioned below.

Fairies, Genies, Zombies (I don’t count the StrangerVille ones) and Plumbots/Servos/Simbots could be added into a later patch or EP or GP. I actually didn’t mind them not having any other occult type since Makin’ Magic didn’t offer anymore than that. That EP really focused on the magic aspect of The Sims and I have all of my fingers and toes crossed that this GP brings out that same feel.

From my perspective, it didn’t depict Potterworld as a whole, but I don’t necessarily feel as if Realm of Magic reflects upon that series anyway. Other than the Harry Potter universe, there are spell casters that can use magic without a wand or device, portal usage, floating worlds and even more not shown in this GP.

(I’m a Ravenclaw potterhead by the way)

I mustn’t forget to mention that The Sims Makin’ Magic expansion pack did offer fun theme parks, MagicCoins (used to purchase Magic Town lots or other Magic-related items), live performances, snake charming, minor magic shows, mini golf and a cotton candy stand. :)

I’m hoping that we do get a special currency of some sort when we travel through the magic town - but that’s a stretch at this point.
    wB2Zykl.jpg

Agreed!
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    I think one Hogwarts vibe I'm feeling is that it makes me want to start rereading my Harry Potter collection. 😊
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited August 2019
    It isn't a boarding-school, and pre-teens can't use spells, so that's two key Hogwarts element it lacks - and that's fine. To me, the vibe is that of a "Horizon Realm" from the old Mage: the Ascension tabletop RPG. Maybe a little hint of the city of Dalaran, too. But generally? Just a "magical realm" archetypically.

Supernatural was the TS3 EP that sold me on The Sims, and I am interested in how the studio seems to be spreading out their Occult life-states over Game Packs, so that each can get developed independently and, hopefully, more fully.

I do now know what my Gen 2 heir will be about, now. But he's half a Goth, so it fits. :)
    @simgirl1010 You can easily keep that Hogwarts vibe flowing daily if you subscribe to Pottermore and other related Harry Potter universe sites. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    @simgirl1010 You can easily keep that Hogwarts vibe flowing daily if you subscribe to Pottermore and other related Harry Potter universe sites. :)

Thanks! I do subscribe to Pottermore and a couple of HP fansites.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Actually, the only legitimate lifestates we have are:

- Aliens
    - Ghosts
    - Vampires
    - Mermaids

The rest can be categorized as temporary. It seems like they are adding the Spellcaster as a new lifestate for this GP.

The above is an underwhelming list compared to what we received from past iterations. 5 years of The Sims 4 and we only have so little occult’s to choose from. I’m not sure if this is something to be in awe about (Reference to “Oh my!”).

Here’s hoping that they will patch in Werewolves for Cats & Dogs owners or they actually make a dedicated Supernatural EP with the occult’s mentioned below.

Fairies, Genies, Zombies (I don’t count the StrangerVille ones) and Plumbots/Servos/Simbots could be added into a later patch or EP or GP. I actually didn’t mind them not having any other occult type since Makin’ Magic didn’t offer anymore than that. That EP really focused on the magic aspect of The Sims and I have all of my fingers and toes crossed that this GP brings out that same feel.

From my perspective, it didn’t depict Potterworld as a whole, but I don’t necessarily feel as if Realm of Magic reflects upon that series anyway. Other than the Harry Potter universe, there are spell casters that can use magic without a wand or device, portal usage, floating worlds and even more not shown in this GP.

(I’m a Ravenclaw potterhead by the way)

I mustn’t forget to mention that The Sims Makin’ Magic expansion pack did offer fun theme parks, MagicCoins (used to purchase Magic Town lots or other Magic-related items), live performances, snake charming, minor magic shows, mini golf and a cotton candy stand. :)

I’m hoping that we do get a special currency of some sort when we travel through the magic town - but that’s a stretch at this point.

I don't even consider ghost a lifestate. You can't create them in create of sim , and they can't have children as they could in Sims 3
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    now that I think about it, i think im fine with this pack being more in the harry potter universe than typical blair witch one. i mean i wus expecting some weird voodoo and huts on swamps and cursed forest or wuteva but i must admit that pottery wizardry is more fun!
    y'all got bread?
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member

Thanks! I do subscribe to Pottermore and a couple of HP fansites.

Awesome! I love the Pottermore quizzes!

I'll bet that when the University/School pack comes out, there will be a way to crossover with Magic to have something akin to Hogwarts. I just have a feeling that that's why University is taking longer and coming out after Realm. (**Speculation**) Development has probably been carefully considering what will work best sequentially. For example, they would have needed Seasons and Cats and Dogs to already be released to be able to incorporate specific spell effects, weather influences, and pet familiars. So in order to have a Magic school, you need to first have Magic.

The Hype Train is now boarding at Platform 9 3/4 for Hogwarts! Lol
    #Team Occult
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    It isn't a boarding-school, and pre-teens can't use spells, so that's two key Hogwarts element it lacks - and that's fine. To me, the vibe is that of a "Horizon Realm" from the old Mage: the Ascension tabletop RPG. Maybe a little hint of the city of Dalaran, too. But generally? Just a "magical realm" archetypically.

Supernatural was the TS3 EP that sold me on The Sims, and I am interested in how the studio seems to be spreading out their Occult life-states over Game Packs, so that each can get developed independently and, hopefully, more fully.

I do now know what my Gen 2 heir will be about, now. But he's half a Goth, so it fits. :)

Teens can use the spells, children and toddlers just can’t.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    ooooohhhhh, Can we tell our spellcaster sims to magically clean the house, and improve their moods?
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Eh, I only see as much Hogwarts in Realm of Magic as JKR used from folklore and such to build her Wizarding world. Familars aren't really a thing in Harry Potter (they're more pets with useful tricks... sometimes) and in this they seem more active (basing this on tweets, not the trailer itself) which is more in keeping with D&D Familiars and general folklore (minus the demon part... maybe.)

And.. I kinda see the Magical Realm as more Hogsmede than Hogwarts...

Harry Potter is like 1% folklore. It's about as close to folklore as Sabrina. Seriously.
    I don't get people who say this doesn't look like Harry Potter, this whole trailer is like 90% just copied straight from it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Did some exploring during lunch break, found several reviews of the ROM pack, and every one of them stated it was a Harry Potter take off. Not a bashing in any way, just describing the vibe they felt. I know it's what I felt during the trailer. Seems like another cash-grab to me.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Clothing makes me think of American Witchcraft in Fantastic Beasts the familiars make me think of anime and the brooms and wands seem heavily based off HP. I'm getting more a Sitcom not horror on netflix Sabrina vibe with this pack then Harry Potter.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players