Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on the new way the cheats bar comes up???

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I kinda like that it pauses the game (so I don't have to.) And the going dark is... actually okay with me, since it reminds me to close it when I'm done.

I'm less impressed that I have to make sure that the cheat window is "in focus" in order to close it, or that I can't just up arrow or copy and paste commands any more.

But I can't honestly say I'm irritated enough to hate it, or really prefer one over the other.
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Only time I'm in the cheats bar is for MOO, so I haven't even noticed the change.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I think SimGuruNick said it's a glitch and they're looking into it.

I hoped it would be a glitch rather than an actual change. Very much hope this is true!
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I can't get cheats to work for me anymore I can type in the codes, and it says cheats enabled, but I'm unable to click on my sims to actually do anything. I've tried repairing and updating the game, turning my computer (PC) off completely, and making sure I don't have any other programs or browsers open. Any ideas? I'm a new player (since May 2019), and cheats worked for me before.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    I never even noticed it was updated to be honest. I thought the screen always went dark when you were entering cheats.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I have to use the cheat bar all the time to fix relationships and reset Sims because my game is glitching. I would love the ability to cut and paste!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Couldn't care less. Don't cheat .

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Hard to say - I had some issues with conflicting keybinds between TS4 and other software which prevented me TS4 from reacting to the Ctrl-Shift-C hotkey I just solved and did not look into small changes yet.
    The only cheat I actually use is just resetsim, though.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    All I want to do is change my former NPC's mean trait to something more positive so he doesn't keep insulting his new wife. Hope whatever this glitch is gets fixed soon.
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    Old cheat bar
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    I can't get cheats to work for me anymore I can type in the codes, and it says cheats enabled, but I'm unable to click on my sims to actually do anything. I've tried repairing and updating the game, turning my computer (PC) off completely, and making sure I don't have any other programs or browsers open. Any ideas? I'm a new player (since May 2019), and cheats worked for me before.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Can you be a little more specific? I can't quite tell what your problem is. If you've gone through the steps of Ctrl+Shift+C, then "testingcheats true" You should be able to use the cheats you need like "bb.moveobjects on" or "bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement" or "careers.promote artist" or "traits.equip_trait player"

The difference is, you have to be selected on the sim you want individual cheats (like careers, skills, and traits) to attach to BEFORE you open the cheats bar. Where as MOO (move objects on) or unlocking all objects it just happens. Most of the time, you won't really know if your cheat worked unless you go to your sim's career, skills, or traits to check. If you are wondering whether the way you are typing in the cheats is correct, I've found this list helpful.
    https://sims-online.com/sims-4-game-info/sims-4-game-cheats-codes/#career
    Word of caution: It is definitely not 100% up to date.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
    Old cheat bar
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    All I want to do is change my former NPC's mean trait to something more positive so he doesn't keep insulting his new wife. Hope whatever this glitch is gets fixed soon.

Oh, ok, just saw this. Then "testingcheats true" and "cas.fulleditmode" then shift+click your sim and choose "Modify in CAS" Then you should be able to remove the mean trait and put in a different trait you like.
    Old cheat bar
    I think SimGuruNick said it's a glitch and they're looking into it.

I hoped it would be a glitch rather than an actual change. Very much hope this is true!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be a glitch!
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    New cheat bar
    Honestly I just came back to the Sims after a break and I dind't notice this change until I saw this thread...it's fine for me, not a big deal.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    New cheat bar
    Sometimes I have had trouble with driving my game... and realized I had the cheat bar open. How I hit Ctrl+Shift+C accidentally, I don't know.

I like that it pauses my game as I am inputting cheats. I like that it is obvious when I am in that mode. No problems.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    New cheat bar
    I can't stand it! Especially when I'm in BB mode. I keep forgetting that the screen will go dark/fade out, so whenever I open the cheat bar to use moveobjects any furniture I've clicked on will disappear and go back to its original place! I don't understand why this was deemed a necessary change? There's so many other things that they could have used their time changing?

Turn on the cheat first, then click the item. 😂😂 That's how I've always used cheats anyway.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2019
    Old cheat bar
    If I may be candid, it ruins everything and I hate it. I miss being able to input a cheat (like say, equipping a hidden trait or something), select a different sim and very easily input the same cheat on that sim, and so on and so forth. As it works now, it's just stupid and less functional than it was. I hope it really is just a glitch and gets fixed soon.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    oh, i thought something was a little bit off than how it was before but i dont really care
  • CatnipSimzCatnipSimz Posts: 18 Member
    Old cheat bar
    Its just a really weird and random change, it wasn't necessary.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I find it makes doing cheat codes a lot more tedious because I have to keep re-opening the bar and then closing it again to check something, and can't switch from one household member to another without closing and reopening again, so that the up arrow no longer retypes long strings..I have to retype them manually. Annoying.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Like all the improvements they force on us, it's annoying and was better before. I think they do it on purpose, they go and check what's good and working well and remove it in patches.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I noticed it. I don't care for it. At all.

The biggest problem for me is that I don't use cheats often, but if I do, it's usually to make changes to modify multiple sims in the household at one time. E.g., I noticed the change because I was following kalaksed's advice about adding the native islander trait to some of my IL families and the premades. So for, say, a household of six, every single time I wanted to add the trait to an individual sim, I had to open the cheat bar, type in the cheat code, CLOSE the cheat bar, move to the next sim, re-open the cheat bar, type the code, close it again, etc., etc.

It was quite annoying, and took way longer than it would have done in the past, when I could have just switched from sim to sim with the window still open. Maybe that sounds like a small thing, but with a whole world full of large households, it took forever, and I basically had repetitive stress injuries by the time I was finished.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited August 2019
    Does it? Wow I didn’t even notice. :flushed: lol!

You're not alone. I haven't noticed a difference and I do use the cheat bar to get my teens up to the Values I want them to have, since I don't let them age up on their own.

ETA: After this thread I made a point to be more observant when I played my game today. Yes, the screen does dim, but that doesn't bother me at all. The cheat window works as it should and once I shut it down, the screen comes back to normal.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I tend not to use it very much, but when I do, it's a little annoying to have to close it first.

I wanted to move a new family into a house on my template world and prefer not to play it to keep my template fresh. I used the freerealestate cheat and would just type it in and click on the house. Now I have to type it in, close the cheat window, then click on the house. Cheat window now pauses the game and have to close it before I can do anything.

It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying.
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I feel this doesn't explain what exactly the new cheat window is doing. It doesn't just pause the game. It blues out the screen so you can't even move the camera around.

Plenty of us pause the game to put in cheats but the new window basically freezes the whole game while the window is open. It's an unecessary change imo. But I bet we'll just have to get used to it.
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    Old cheat bar
    I always paused the game before typing in a cheat, but I would hover over sims with hard-to-remember names if I wanted to find their ID. I do use MCCC and UI cheat, but the change does annoy me slightly.