March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 Years of The Sims 4 - When was the “Best Year”?

Since the release of the game during September 2014, The Sims 4 has come a long way. Numerous patches, numbers of DLCs and all sorts of bugs introduced.

During which year do you think The Sims Studio team released the coolest things in terms of creativity, idea, content depth, gameplay and value?

Why did you choose that year? What excited you the most about your year of choice?

Looking forward to your comments!
wB2Zykl.jpg

5 Years of The Sims 4 - When was the “Best Year”? 101 votes

1%
SiliCloneSo_Money 2 votes
2%
HestiaelelunicyDeKay 3 votes
3%
AngelEb95happyopilogionPrink34320V2 4 votes
35%
auroraael14CK213icmnfrshColorist40Vibsesimlish1Isb917elanorbretonAnmirladrake_mccartytinaestellebevilleMVWdeZTJACKIEJOYLissyK9Zeldaboy180benson2006AlbaWaterhouselasummerbbizuktag 36 votes
18%
Akl500PSkewedReality04alanmichael1KalaniCoolLustianiciataydevTrashmagicfiercephoenix91Sigzy05YBNS2468Agustín CornejoThePinkBookGirlColsilentcyborgbirdonawireRae357stellanovaSharoniaSageOfGlimmerBrook 19 votes
26%
PlayerSinger2010SleepycatDSLWritin_RegSimburianMeteoraStormWyrrenluthienrisingBluelleMindofyChampandGirlieSindocatEnkiSchmidtSheepilingWeirdAlienCaityCupcakes10OEII1001AllieSootieDrakosdivanthesimmerRavenSpit 27 votes
Other (Comment)
9%
goodcakebaker62icftldugamekittenSPARKY1922Winifred_WillowHermitgirlLiELFSimTrippyKaronZ3t487 10 votes

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2019
    2018 because Seasons, Get Famous and terrain tools.

The toddler year was also pretty good but only because of toddlers, the paid content was not that great imo.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    One week of free base game giveaway finally got me to move on from TS3.

Strangerville was something new. Island living, while far from perfect, brought a new culture and lifestate. Realms of Magic is shaping up to be a fine pack. The It Gets Better partnership in June brought some great Pride Month content for those of us who observe it. Moschino isn't as commercial as I was afraid it would be. Indeed, it has enough features I would use that I am tempted to buy it even if I don't use the fashions.

I was waiting for TS4 to have the depth of content I'd be leaving behind in TS3, and this year we are starting to get there.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,514 Member
    We finally got toddlers :)
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    2016 for the Gender update! The more I play, and meet new LGBTQ+ friends at university, the more I realize how important and amazing this update was for representation! 🏳️‍🌈
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    The ONLY year so far (apart from the Kids room SP) that Family players got the attention of the team: Toddlers (FINALLY!) patched in, Parenthood GP, new lot trait "Teen Hangout" patched in, and Toddler SP.

Also: abilities to control Sim culling were patched in, very important!!!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Far less annoyances back then. I'll always remember playing without getting frustrated because of the greetings, the reacting to the thermostat, the annoying animations from laundry day, the 200000 telephone calls every minute... Far less content but far more relaxing gameplay.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
    Other (Comment)
    That's a really difficult call for me at this point. I'm inclined to say 2017 for a few reasons. For myself, that's when Vampires released and it's my favorite pack of all time, it was exactly what I wanted. It was the first time in Sims 4's release that we had a lot of fun with some of the devs on the forums, over in the GP section and they were interacting with us and answering questions and the hype was real. I was cheerleading it myself, lol. But even generally speaking, 2017 was the year that toddlers released for the family players and they also got Parenthood, which is a widely praised pack as well, and Toddler's Stuff. So even though those family packs aren't my personal cup of tea, I do acknowledge that the release of more family play caused a big shift in the sub-genre of players who needed it, and the forums in general especially became a happier place. So it was a good year for family and Occult players alike.

But I've got to say, speaking as a vocal member of #TeamSupernatural, 2019 is giving 2017 a run for its money. Others may have been disappointed in this year's releases, but I'm over here celebrating the Year of the Occult/Fantasy/Sci-Fi Invasion. StrangerVille, Mermaids and Spellcasters are all released/releasing this year and I'm extremely pleased. It's been a long wait for some hearty, satisfying Supernatural play since Vampires. Yes, there were some minor Supernatural/Fantasy beings along the way, (plus Aliens if you like Sci-Fi) but nothing that had gameplay longevity what with Ghosts behaving just like normal Sims, PlantSims and Skeletons being buffs, and then little weird teaser tidbits like Patchy. As much as I appreciated these things, they just didn't fill in the gaps of a full life state. But this year isn't even over and there are rumors of University coming in the Fall, so we'll see where 2019 leads us and how the next packs play out.
    #Team Occult
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Toddlers, Vampires, Parenthood -- and a more cheerful attitude on the forum.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited August 2019
    Other (Comment)
    I'm going to abstain from voting, but it's leaning to 2019 for my play styles.
    This year brought Strangerville.. which I love. It will bring magic... which I love and have been waiting for. Island Living, while not my favorite EP ever has brought substance and variety to my game and a way to live in paradise and another supernatural. Moschino with the photo stuff being above and beyond for a SP is a wonderful SP for me, and who knows we might get more by the end of the year. I'm thinking my vote will go 2019 depending.. We still might get another EP this year. If we do get Uni there will be no question because that's a favorite theme for me.
    I'm don't see myself as a family player. The family/kid focused year brought wonderful content but it wasn't a hype year for me personally. I took many long play breaks during that time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    2017. Toddlers, enough said.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    2019. Occult players finally started getting their due.

2017 is a close second with Vampires though.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I refused to play without toddlers so I have no idea how the game was before that time. I selected 2018 cause that's when we got seasons.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    well,i can't vote for this year given its not over yet. but i went with 2017. vampires, toddlers, cats and dogs? all around a pretty good year. also,that's when i first started playing! lol, probably a little biased but hey ;)
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The ONLY year so far (apart from the Kids room SP) that Family players got the attention of the team: Toddlers (FINALLY!) patched in, Parenthood GP, new lot trait "Teen Hangout" patched in, and Toddler SP.

I wasn't playing in 2017, but basically this.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    Can't deny 2017 was a great year in Sims - but thus far 2019 is even going better and better than that. I totally love the game now - it's added so many new and different directions I can go in - ingame. i have so much fun with this game now and not the same old - same old style of the first 3 Sims games. Granted i loved them too - but seeing all the many directions my game can now go in keeps me excitedly playing and happy. Yesterdays ROM trailer set my electrons to firing all over again.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    2017 cuz of toddlers but this year is close behind with Moschino and island living
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Other (Comment)
    2017 + 2018 + 2019 xD

2017 - TODS + Parenthood + Vampires
    2018 - SEASONS and, to my surprise, Get Famous (which I still love to bits) + Self-Employment (finally)
    2019 - MAGIC!!!!, and whatever else they have or will still release this year
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,383 Member
    Seasons, Get famous, Jungle, Laundry and even MFP were good and rather bugfree packs. 2019 started strong with Strangerville, but now we are back in the realm of technical disaster. IP was in some ways the most disappointing EP. I hope they get back on track with Magic.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Other (Comment)
    Seasons, Get famous, Jungle, Laundry and even MFP were good and rather bugfree packs. 2019 started strong with Strangerville, but now we are back in the realm of technical disaster. IP was in some ways the most disappointing EP. I hope they get back on track with Magic.

Right I forgot to mention Strangerville for 2019 😂 I love that one too, though, just not witches-love, but love. ;)
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,368 Member
    Toddlers, vampires, cats and dogs. Pretty much all I was still missing from my game. Parenthood was a great bonus.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member

This. When Maxis still cared to make content for non-YAs.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    2014, the first year. The base game will always be the essence of TS4, content-wise, and the DLC released in any given year hasn’t added enough for me to say that 2014 still isn’t the high-point for the game, especially considering the optimism and potential that existed back in 2014.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm glad that the game is still going. I'd say that the most up-to-date year for the game is the best because I have access to the most content.

I played a lot in 2017 and early 2018 due to some free-time. I'm enjoying a little time to get back into it again right now. I will say that it picks back up very well. I'm having a good time with a bit of the newer content thanks to the sale.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I'm enjoying the cumulative Sims 4 experience in the current year. I am having a great time with all the wonderful things that have been added since launch, and the game has really come into its own. I certainly wouldn't turn the clock back.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019
    Other (Comment)
    TBH... I don't see the "best year" anywhere. Like, so far it only had "not so bad" years, you know?! I love the year we got toddlers, but it should have been in the release. I love the year we got terrain tools, but it should have been in the release. I love seasons, but Get Famous/Island Living lacks a lot of stuff... hm, don't know if i get that excited thinking about the year for the game. 2019 has potential to be the first best year if it has a CAW released... swimmable oceans, witches, probably university... Only CAW can make this a remarkable year for me. (if cars are coming, hm... it should have been in the release). hahaha lol