Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic: will they listen?

Comments

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2019
    They've ignored us before, but it might be a pleasant surprise
    So long as magic is contained ONLY to a witch/sorcerer life state, I'll be happy. The rest of it is just a bonus.

Honestly, there are too many ideas for this pack, they can't use them all AND make everyone happy. There are many ideas for a magic pack that I saw floating around that I don't want in my game.

Exactly. I hope it is not a skill every Sim can master. It would really defeat the purpose of being a ''Witch'' and the uniqueness of the lifestate.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    dont really care whats going on if they're listening or not, i just wanna see if its a cool pack. it could be completely different from what we asked for and as long as its good, im fine with it.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Other (and I'll explain below)
    I'll say they probably listened to those of us who wanted a gamepack that focused on witches. If you think of this as a supes pack, you'll probably be disappointed because I expect it has only one. But this is what 'we' wanted so that they will be as good as vampires.
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    I don't think there is anyway they can listen and make a pack of any size that would give all the players what they want. However, their game packs have been usually well received so I feel like they know what they're doing with targeted gameplay packs.

I also think they feel a bit more confident in trying new things with game packs because people are looking for new gameplay.

I'm going to keep my expectations low but hope for the best. Trailer drops tomorrow so we'll see even more then.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I think almost every gamepack (barring strangerville imo) has been pretty content heavy and well designed, so I'm hoping ROM will follow the same route. That said, in the last several months, I've felt really let down by S4, with IL's version of ''''underwater'''', DLC items added to the bg for free, and the growing number of recoloured items sneaking their way into DLC, and being sold as 'new' gameplay.

I've been super looking forward to this pack though, and hope that as well as adding in old occult favourites (such as witches), there might be something new and surprising. For example, more freedom in gameplay to suit your own story eg. you can play as a necromancer or elementalist vs. standard witch, where each type has spells they can and can't do. Vampires certainly delivered the surprise element with their unique system, though if ROM chooses to 're-use' this, I expect something more from gameplay too.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited August 2019
    They listened and will deliver
    They better. Or I'm going on strike, just saying.

Edit: And my expectations are high for this pack. And I rarely have high expectations.

Edit, again: I know this is kinda off topic, but I did kinda want the CAS Stories...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2019
    As I was saying when my copmuter glitched: EA's priority is to listen to EVERYONE,not giving us a rebranding or a fashion/photography pack. Nobody asked for those. It seems like EA is giving us stuff THEY think is cool,not stuff players want...Sims 4 has become "EA creates,EA controls and EA rules."

Um, excuse you, but I've been wanting a photography revamp ever since Get to Work. Why are simmers so quick to say, 'nobody asked for that??'

As for the rebranding, I didn't realize they had to ask our permission before making business decisions...
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Sorry who is this “we” you speak of? I didn’t realize we’re all the same people and we all want the same thing.

TS4 has like 20 million players. They’re making the best game for the entire player base. Their priority is never listening to what a vocal minority on the forums want.

@elelunicy yes, agreed. To even begin this discussion, some people that love realistic playstyle are already dissapointed for Realm of Magic! Not even Jesus could satisfy everyone.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    I hope so, because this is one of two Packs that makes it or breaks it for me. If this Pack fails my needs then The Sims 4 is game over for me. everything I built and Created was for nothing.

every pack that has lead up to This I felt has played a part in me being hopeful they listened.

Base Game: Grim Reaper and Ghosts initially, I kept a close eye on their powers

Outdoor Retreat: Will-o'the-Wisp was a nice touch a magical insect that maybe reintroduced in The realm of magic may see them roaming around. Herbalism of course.

Get to Work: Science experiments, of course will probably be morphed into alchemy potions and curses along with Herbalism.

Vampires: Had some good powers that could transfer smoothly but needs to be reanimated completely.
    and I don't think the strengths and weaknesses will work for witches or Sorcerers the same way.

Seasons:
    Snow ball fights = Magic fights (Hopefully with more player influence we can choose what spells we want our sims to cast next in the fight.
    and Lightning Power = just an idea of how magic may look

Island Living = with mermaids, I don't see much Mermaids themselves contribute to Witches and Sorcerers, but the Elementals absolutely help with how magic could will look and I was pleased with that insight.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    I want to be able to make my Once Upon A Time: Regina with her Fireball, Emma with her White Blast, & Zelena with her Magic Broom.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    I honestly cannot predict them. In the past they gave me what I wanted, although not always as in-depth as I would have liked it (GT, IL), they turned features I had hated before into a pleasant surprise (Generations->Parenthood, old toddlers->new toddlers, Sims stories and Sims Medieval->Strangerville), but also ruined things I had loved or was looking forward to (Sparring, Memories, Off the grid). So at this point it can go either way.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited August 2019
    The way they are making content seems to be kind of a mix of what the fans what, what is original and works well in the sims4 and what they can do with as little money as possible.

I think they will create something good and unique but don't be surprised if they are reusing some content from other packs.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,017 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I hope so, because this is one of two Packs that makes it or breaks it for me. If this Pack fails my needs then The Sims 4 is game over for me. everything I built and Created was for nothing.
    To be honest, I'm in the same boat. I don't hate Sims 4, but for me, witches are the biggest appeal for a Sims game. If the witches here aren't good, I'll just drop 4, move back to Sims 2 or 3 and play those renditions of witches. Sims 4's on thin ice, and this is a make-it-or-break-it pack.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    We're screwed
    jacechu wrote: »
    I really wish people would stop with this "what we want" entitlement. And no, I don't think Sims 4 is perfect, nor do I believe that the team who works on it are above criticism, but it's clear that the game is not finished and is still growing and expanding. Yes, I'm aware that it's been out 5 years. But it's still not complete and not MEANT to be complete yet. I feel like a lot of these people who are talking about "I desperately need x, it's been years, this game is incomplete" don't realize The Sims 4 is NOT being marketed as a complete game yet! Even if you choose to ignore all that, you can't ignore the fact that players of this game are diverse and want completely different things, so you do not get to lump all people who play this game together.

Even when it is complete, it won't be complete.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Not a
    catitude5 wrote: »
    jacechu wrote: »
    I really wish people would stop with this "what we want" entitlement. And no, I don't think Sims 4 is perfect, nor do I believe that the team who works on it are above criticism, but it's clear that the game is not finished and is still growing and expanding. Yes, I'm aware that it's been out 5 years. But it's still not complete and not MEANT to be complete yet. I feel like a lot of these people who are talking about "I desperately need x, it's been years, this game is incomplete" don't realize The Sims 4 is NOT being marketed as a complete game yet! Even if you choose to ignore all that, you can't ignore the fact that players of this game are diverse and want completely different things, so you do not get to lump all people who play this game together.

Even when it is complete, it won't be complete.

Because y'all are never satisfied. They can't please everyone.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Looks great! To Each their own!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    As I was saying when my copmuter glitched: EA's priority is to listen to EVERYONE,not giving us a rebranding or a fashion/photography pack. Nobody asked for those. It seems like EA is giving us stuff THEY think is cool,not stuff players want...Sims 4 has become "EA creates,EA controls and EA rules."

You have no idea what everyone wants. The vast majority of player do not participate in the online discussion of the game in any way whatsoever. It’s laughable to assume nobody wants something just because you’ve never seen anyone requesting it.

EA themselves, however, have access to things like past sales data of which packs sold the best/worst, and telemetry data of how everyone plays their game. They also hire research firms to study market trends, do feature testing through focus groups, etc. They know what the players want far, far better than you do.

You saying that is just as much a generalization as what I said, if not more. They've had several years to poll the community. They had the test players when it first came out, the community poll pack, the various articles both on their site, and others. And they created a forum specifically For the feedback of their creations.

You're literally on it. And as to the previous response about movie makers and fashion designers not asking what consumers want, that's false. There's Literature places in malls that ask randomly people to watch trailers for different movies, for like $5. I've done it before. Fashion itself is a mixture of telling people what the need/need to want, and them telling you what they actually want. Basic example: mom Jean's going out of style after the late 80s/early 90s, only to come back in the later 2000s.

I didn't say that they had to take everything we've asked for and put it in this one pack. Heck people have wanted mermaids forever, and an Island pack, and they put them together; into something that I (at least) didn't see coming. That washing day pack, suddenly works well with conversation and off the grid. With was one of the options that lost to Laundry.

I asked if anyone thought that we would get some of the things people have been begging for. On and off the forum.

Grandstanding to make others feel bad about asking questions; and for other people's opinions, is the exact opposite of what a community forum is for.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
    Gordy wrote: »
    If my boy Torch is back, I just might take back everything bad I've ever said about Sims 4.

Who is Torch?
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    They listened and will deliver
    LSM36 wrote: »
    Like many simmers here, I've been waiting for a Supernatural pack, forever. I even made multiple posts about what we need in the pack. Same for general ideas.
    (General https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/953652/what-we-want-to-see-in-2019/p1 )
    (Worlds https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/962815/i-dream-of-worlds-2019-goals#latest )
    (Supernatural https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/947085/ideas-for-a-new-supes-pack#latest )

Some of that seemed like they took our ideas on notice. But they've been giving us more things that we never asked for. Like oddly controlling stories in CAS, recolors of things we already paid for, the rebranding.

I'm a bit concerned that they're gonna just do whatever they want with RoM, and leave us all very disappointed.

What do you guys think? What do you think needs to be in it? What do you think they'll actually give us.

For those griping over the pack not being up to your own expectations, get over it and just have fun with it. Or don't buy it. I for one am very excited about this pack as witches are my favorite occult, followed by vampires. Best to watch the trailer before making a final decision.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
    LSM36 wrote: »

You have no idea what everyone wants. The vast majority of player do not participate in the online discussion of the game in any way whatsoever. It’s laughable to assume nobody wants something just because you’ve never seen anyone requesting it.

EA themselves, however, have access to things like past sales data of which packs sold the best/worst, and telemetry data of how everyone plays their game. They also hire research firms to study market trends, do feature testing through focus groups, etc. They know what the players want far, far better than you do.

You saying that is just as much a generalization as what I said, if not more. They've had several years to poll the community. They had the test players when it first came out, the community poll pack, the various articles both on their site, and others. And they created a forum specifically For the feedback of their creations.

You're literally on it. And as to the previous response about movie makers and fashion designers not asking what consumers want, that's false. There's Literature places in malls that ask randomly people to watch trailers for different movies, for like $5. I've done it before. Fashion itself is a mixture of telling people what the need/need to want, and them telling you what they actually want. Basic example: mom Jean's going out of style after the late 80s/early 90s, only to come back in the later 2000s.

I didn't say that they had to take everything we've asked for and put it in this one pack. Heck people have wanted mermaids forever, and an Island pack, and they put them together; into something that I (at least) didn't see coming. That washing day pack, suddenly works well with conversation and off the grid. With was one of the options that lost to Laundry.

I asked if anyone thought that we would get some of the things people have been begging for. On and off the forum.

Grandstanding to make others feel bad about asking questions; and for other people's opinions, is the exact opposite of what a community forum is for.

*literally
    Autocorrect
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    i'm sure they'll listen to someone. It might not be you tho
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    So long as magic is contained ONLY to a witch/sorcerer life state, I'll be happy. The rest of it is just a bonus.

Honestly, there are too many ideas for this pack, they can't use them all AND make everyone happy. There are many ideas for a magic pack that I saw floating around that I don't want in my game.

Exactly. I hope it is not a skill every Sim can master. It would really defeat the purpose of being a ''Witch'' and the uniqueness of the lifestate.

I'd be okay if it was like Vampire lore. And you could learn about it, but not practice without conversion. Or a mixture of that and mermaid kelp. Like a non witch who wants to become one needs to level up their general knowledge of witch magic. And then fulfill a quest to become one.

Though I would like more Occults with their own magic. Vamps could do glamour. Mermaids could get a bump up in power. Maybe an Underwater Kiss deal (unless they have that, and I missed it).

I'm not sure that we'll get other Occults in this pack, unless it's an expansion in it if itself. In which case, they might be able to add in more races, since it's a full magical focus.

And the trailer gave me hope that aliens will be update too. If they can create a functional magic world, accessible through a portal, that can hold houses, and a market; there's hope for Sixam. Or another alien world, being playable.
    Cupid wrote: »
    i'm sure they'll listen to someone. It might not be you tho

That's okay. There's tons of simmers out there. In different countries, different interests, different ideas. But in the end, we all play. And that tends to lead to desires. Whether it's bug fixing, new life states, clothing options, etc. . Simmers reach out in different ways, different places.

With the way things have been going, most recently, I'm concerned that it's become less about making a playable world/game that people want. But they'll still definitely take our money.

I've gotten every pack, even the ones I didn't like, because they had at least one redeeming quality. And for a long time, I just sat quietly. Then I joined the forum. Because I wanted to share ideas with other simmers, and engage in community.

When I say will they listen to us, I mean will they take into account the views of as many simmers as they can? As many different societal views, and cultures as they can? Will they take on this pack, and all the excitement from those who have been waiting for it, generate interest in those who weren't, and give us something worth our time and money.

It's not like the games are super cheap. And that everyone can just buy all of them, whether they seem good or not.

University, Supernatural, Generations, and Seasons have been the ones I've seen the most request for. And a lot of people have very distinct opinions on the matter.

I've been waiting for Supernatural from day one. Heck, I ended up getting it before main release. I dealt with all the bugs, the excitement, the disappointment, and I have high hopes for a great magic pack.

But if it comes, and it's just a lot of "almost what you wanted, and none of what you asked for, " I'd be sad. And, in my opinion, they did a lot of that with recent releases and updates.

So I came here to ask what other simmers thought. What they wanted, and hoped for. This is a big one. They've delivered on magic in the past. I hope they do again.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I want to be able to make my Once Upon A Time: Regina with her Fireball, Emma with her White Blast, & Zelena with her Magic Broom.

Yessssss
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well? Are you guys happy? Did they listen?