Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simslify - Upcoming app

Drzombae1Drzombae1 Posts: 37 Member
I am in the process of developing an app for Apple and Android phones, that will allow you to log all your sims households (bank account, traits, skills, aspirations, etc) to keep track of all your saves. As well as being able to track any challenges you're doing. I will upload the rules, goals, etc and you will get a checklist and a progress bar that will help you keep track of what you've done and what needs to be done next. For example, you would be able to start the 100 baby challenge from the app, and use it to log all the babies and baby daddies that way you know what you're doing and can easily access all your info. There will also be achievements that you earn for doing certain things in the app! It drops this winter! We started a twitter page called "simslify" or you can look us up on facebook. Thanks :)

Comments

• HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Oh wow! That sounds interesting. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I can't wait!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Very cool but don't you need permission from EA to do so?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Is this legal?
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Is this legal?

I don’t see how this would be illegal as it’s just an app for keeping track of things. There’s no gameplay involved; sounds like digital notebook geared towards the sims 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Is this legal?

I don’t see how this would be illegal as it’s just an app for keeping track of things. There’s no gameplay involved; sounds like digital notebook geared towards the sims 🤷‍♀️

But wouldn’t OP need permission to even use the word “Sims” or its likeness in an app? All of that stuff is copyrighted.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Is this legal?

But wouldn’t OP need permission to even use the word “Sims” or its likeness in an app? All of that stuff is copyrighted.

Hmm 🤔 The name yes would most likely be a problem. As far as the other two, I guess it depends on how exactly the app works? Because to me, this app just seems like an external mod. Just like the Family Tree website....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    If you’re charging money for it, it’s more likely to be an issue.
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I don't see why it would be an IP issue if mods, sims-related sites, and paid support for mods are all okay.. it seems like basically the same idea.
  • Drzombae1Drzombae1 Posts: 37 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

It’s not an issue at all really. I’m not using any of their content. It’s just an external journaling app. So no there’s nothing illegal about it. And the word “sims” is a shortened term for simulator. They don’t own that.
    Is this legal?
    mika wrote: »
    mika wrote: »

No. It’s not illegal. No I don’t need their permission. Because I’m not using any of their content.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I'm not sure it'd be diff than fan sites and guides as far as legality would it?

I'm baby 70 into the 100 baby challenge and wish I had it now haha
    edited August 2019
    Drzombae1 wrote: »

It’s not an issue at all really. I’m not using any of their content. It’s just an external journaling app. So no there’s nothing illegal about it. And the word “sims” is a shortened term for simulator. They don’t own that.

“The Sims” is copyrighted. If you have the words “The Sims” anywhere in your app, you’re infringing on their copyright. The Plumbob is copyrighted. For all we know, that specific color of green the game uses may also be copyrighted. If you have “Sims” with that color green and a Plumbob, you would be infringing on their copyright.

If you plan to put ads inside of your app in an effort to make money when someone clicks them, that could be problematic.

Have you double-checked any of this with an actual legal authority or are you just going to wing it and take a risk? I recommend checking with someone first. The last thing I’m sure you want is to receive a cease and desist after your app gets published or Apple to completely refuse to publish your app period because you can’t provide proof that you have the authority to make such an app referencing someone else’s product, trademark, and copyright. I believe you would need a license, kinda like how all of the Walking Dead apps/games in the App Store purchased a “license” from the company who owns the comics/show in order to use the name and characters and such.

“The Sims” is copyrighted. If you have the words “The Sims” anywhere in your app, you’re infringing on their copyright. The Plumbob is copyrighted. For all we know, that specific color of green the game uses may also be copyrighted. If you have “Sims” with that color green and a Plumbob, you would be infringing on their copyright.

If you plan to put ads inside of your app in an effort to make money when someone clicks them, that could be problematic.

Have you double-checked any of this with an actual legal authority or are you just going to wing it and take a risk? I recommend checking with someone first. The last thing I’m sure you want is to receive a cease and desist after your app gets published or Apple to completely refuse to publish your app period because you can’t provide proof that you have the authority to make such an app referencing someone else’s product, trademark, and copyright. I believe you would need a license, kinda like how all of the Walking Dead apps/games in the App Store purchased a “license” from the company who owns the comics/show in order to use the name and characters and such.

It’s no different than mod websites having the word “sims” in it. I looked it up legally on their website and it is NOT illegal. Also it’s a green plain diamond that is not their exact sign so I am fine with that as well. I went to their website and requested info and I am fine. It’s cool that you want to make sure I’m okay with doing it but if i say, I am fine just take my answer the first time.

Also, what you’re saying about walking dead is a completely different situation. They were using their characters, and their entire comic to make a game. On Ea website you have to ask permission to make a game or movie involving any of their sims characters etc. Im literally making an online journal that people can use to log their sims games. I’m not using any of their act content. So im fine.
    edited August 2019

It’s no different than mod websites having the word “sims” in it. I looked it up legally on their website and it is NOT illegal. Also it’s a green plain diamond that is not their exact sign so I am fine with that as well. I went to their website and requested info and I am fine. It’s cool that you want to make sure I’m okay with doing it but if i say, I am fine just take my answer the first time.

Who did you speak with? EA Chat Support? They don’t know anything but how to help you get your game up and running.

I really hope you actually speak to someone in a legal capacity about this. But apparently you don’t seem to care and you’re going to try this anyway so I’m going to exit this thread by wishing you good luck in your (possibly) shady endeavors, my friend.

Who did you speak with? EA Chat Support? They don’t know anything but how to help you get your game up and running.

I really hope you actually speak to someone in a legal capacity about this. But apparently you don’t seem to care and you’re going to try this anyway so I’m going to exit this thread by wishing you good luck in your (possibly) shady endeavors, my friend.

Omg lmaoooo. EA literally had a department that you can send inquiries to to use their copyrighted material. All I’m using is a pun of “simslify” and nothing else and it’s only a journal so there was nothing I needed to do. But clearly you work for EA and know how everything works. Regardless have a great day 😂