March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't TS4 inclusive of family players?

Comments

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well it showns, when there's not even incentive to allow magic for children. Does have some validity by the response, but as a counterargument in some magic-theme creative outlet (Harry Potter for instance) magic wasn't just exclusive to anyone above 12 year old. (Lol, you can't even portray early teens because of giant height transition). Not to mention, it doesn't help for players who been asking for more fun interactions for children. Why not at least include some of it through packs? Been a long time (children SP) since those lil Sims to preoccupy there time on, other than worn-out BG activities.

It's a bit ironic, and the confused identity of what the games intended to be. Focus is on young adults most of time, yet the humor is catered for/esque of children's. And I don't know why SimGuruDrake, or whoever idea was it, it blurb out the verification that TS4 is targeted for teens that are female.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Well it showns, when there's not even incentive to allow magic for children. Does have some validity by the response, but as a counterargument in some magic-theme creative outlet (Harry Potter for instance) magic wasn't just exclusive to anyone above 12 year old. (Lol, you can't even portray early teens because of giant height transition). Not to mention, it doesn't help for players who been asking for more fun interactions for children. Why not at least include some of it through packs? Been a long time (children SP) since those lil Sims to preoccupy there time on, other than worn-out BG activities.

Well, can't say I'm surprised. Really, I don't understand why it seems like there is very little desire to do anything for children in anything other that a pack dedicated to them. And it's not like the children in TS4 are super young. If they were meant to be like 6, maybe I could understand it, but the children in TS4 look dang near 10 years old. Surely they could be able to do some form of magic. I literally couldn't care less about magic in the game, but it's still annoying to me how for the past year we've gotten several packs where they could have done more for children and toddlers, but they outright seem to be choosing not to for no good reason.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member

Well, can't say I'm surprised. Really, I don't understand why it seems like there is very little desire to do anything for children in anything other that a pack dedicated to them. And it's not like the children in TS4 are super young. If they were meant to be like 6, maybe I could understand it, but the children in TS4 look dang near 10 years old. Surely they could be able to do some form of magic. I literally couldn't care less about magic in the game, but it's still annoying to me how for the past year we've gotten several packs where they could have done more for children and toddlers, but they outright seem to be choosing not to for no good reason.

Could it be that they don't have to downsize and re-draw and re-animate for the smaller sizes of children? Teens are the same size as adults so they can use the same animations. Children have been given the Magical Bloodline instead.

SimGuruRomeo " Kids are able to have the Magical Bloodline dwell within them, but they are still too young to fully comprehend how to use the Magical Arts. It is not until they become a Teen that they will be able to realize their full potential".

Probably saved them a lot of time and you'd probably also have had to buy Parenthood to get anything out of it..
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    So magic wont be for kids just like vampires and mermaids and the Guru's will tell players that people play them less as an excuse to not make them content when 90% or so of the content is not useable for them so there's nothing to play.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019
    Simburian wrote: »

Could it be that they don't have to downsize and re-draw and re-animate for the smaller sizes of children? Teens are the same size as adults so they can use the same animations. Children have been given the Magical Bloodline instead.

SimGuruRomeo " Kids are able to have the Magical Bloodline dwell within them, but they are still too young to fully comprehend how to use the Magical Arts. It is not until they become a Teen that they will be able to realize their full potential".

Probably saved them a lot of time and you'd probably also have had to buy Parenthood to get anything out of it..

I guess, but I wouldn't expect children to do the same things. Just anything child friendly or related, like maybe juggle magic balls or levitate/hover a few foot. Perhaps inanimate stuffed toy animals, make toy cars drive/fly around, etc. Just like how you wouldn't expect a child that rides a tricycle to be capable to drive an actual car. Speaking of which, can you imagine how awesome if battery-powered jeebs for children (in backyard driving of course) were in the game. That would been great If developers had thought of adding that in toddler SP.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    edited August 2019
    I guess, but I wouldn't expect children to do the same things. Just anything child friendly or related, like maybe juggle magic balls or levitate/hover a few foot. Perhaps inanimate stuffed toy animals, make toy cars drive/fly around, etc. Just like how you wouldn't expect a child that rides a tricycle to be capable to drive an actual car. Speaking of which, can you imagine how awesome if battery-powered jeebs for children (in backyard driving of course) were in the game. That would been great If developers had thought of adding that in toddler SP.

One of the gurus (I think it was Simguru Ninja?) on Twitter said while kids can't do magic ( :'( ), there was some other activites for them to do, so at least they haven't been totally ignored (not sure about toddlers though). Personally, I would've loved to create kid witches/wizards and see how they develop, so hopefully these activities will be new/different enough to help make playing with kid sims more rewarding.

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Imagine if we got a life stages generations-type EP with university for YAs, stuff for kids, teens, toddlers and elders.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member

One of the gurus (I think it was Simguru Ninja?) on Twitter said while kids can't do magic ( :'( ), there was some other activites for them to do, so at least they haven't been totally ignored (not sure about toddlers though). Personally, I would've loved to create kid witches/wizards and see how they develop, so hopefully these activities will be new/different enough to help make playing with kid sims more rewarding.

I’m disappointed about that. All past iterations allowed children and up to use magic.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2019

Not to mention sims 4 kids can do laundry. They can stay out all night with no consequence, skip school to hang out at night clubs “as night clubs are acceptable locations for the children” - a guru told me- and they stay home alone all day whilst their parents are off the lot.

But they can’t do do magic.
    Underage children in a bar or a nightclub or a lounge playing hookie is not ok in my book. I’d call CPS ASAP if I saw that in real life @MidnightAura
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited August 2019
    I'm not a particular fan of Harry Potter but aren't children banned from using magic in the real world in that series so what's the use of giving them magic powers before they can get into the Realm of Magic anyway? There is only one resident magic family in the magic realm. We don't yet know what children will be getting yet.

This just looks like another made up stick to beat Maxis with. The bloodline looks to be the most useful way of getting them into magic. Magic throughout would make my own games a mess and it is best to keep it confined in some way.

If Simmers want a Harry Potter Sim type world why don't they petition J.K.Rowling for it? This is a serious suggestion! I've always wanted a Terry Pratchett's Diskworld one myself. :)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I'm not a particular fan of Harry Potter but aren't children banned from using magic in the real world in that series so what's the use of giving them magic powers before they can get into the Realm of Magic anyway? There is only one resident magic family in the magic realm. We don't yet know what children will be getting yet.

This just looks like another made up stick to beat Maxis with. The bloodline looks to be the most useful way of getting them into magic. Magic throughout would make my own games a mess and it is best to keep it confined in some way.

If Simmers want a Harry Potter Sim type world why don't they petition J.K.Rowling for it? This is a serious suggestion! I've always wanted a Terry Pratchett's Diskworld one myself. :)

In HP, kids do tend to accidentally perform magic (which we might yet see in RoM, since they only said that children can't go into the realm and learn to be a full-blown spellcaster until they're Teens). The bloodline trait is still unclear, so who knows what we'll get.
    Additionally, for the HP connection - not that I think this pack has all that much in common with it - there's no magic school, as far as we know. Would've been nice if kids with the bloodline trait had that possibility (I'd kinda rather see it fleshed out in an Education pack though, as more active than the current school rabbit hole).

We might yet get kids doing some magical interactions, all we know so far is that they can't be full-on Spellcasters.
    edited August 2019
    @Simburian The Harry Potter series doesn't define the existence of magical lore nor does ROM base itself upon it. Let's get back to basics here and talk about The Sims series that introduced children that can wield magic.

In The Sims 1 Makin' Magic, children can wield a wand and do magic spells.

670?cb=20100718085850

29166-the-sims-makin-magic-windows-back-cover.jpg

I suggest you expand your knowledge on what sort of magical stories exist out there aside from the Potterworld universe.
    wB2Zykl.jpg

In HP, kids do tend to accidentally perform magic (which we might yet see in RoM, since they only said that children can't go into the realm and learn to be a full-blown spellcaster until they're Teens). The bloodline trait is still unclear, so who knows what we'll get.
    Additionally, for the HP connection - not that I think this pack has all that much in common with it - there's no magic school, as far as we know. Would've been nice if kids with the bloodline trait had that possibility (I'd kinda rather see it fleshed out in an Education pack though, as more active than the current school rabbit hole).

We might yet get kids doing some magical interactions, all we know so far is that they can't be full-on Spellcasters.

A lot of the gameplay for children comes with the stuff packs so those who don't buy them miss out. Kids Room Stuff, Toddlers Stuff, Backyard Stuff, even helping with the Laundry in Laundry Day...You wanted Toddlers and Kids, you pay for them!

It could be that an Education or University Pack will come after the Legacy Version and 32 bit support dropped as a Guru said it would have too much to be a gamepack. Maybe it might include a Magic course in it? I'd prefer a general education pack myself for Toddlers and up.
    edited August 2019

A lot of the gameplay for children comes with the stuff packs so those who don't buy them miss out. Kids Room Stuff, Toddlers Stuff, Backyard Stuff, even helping with the Laundry in Laundry Day...You wanted Toddlers and Kids, you pay for them!

It could be that an Education or University Pack will come after the Legacy Version and 32 bit support dropped as a Guru said it would have too much to be a gamepack. Maybe it might include a Magic course in it? I'd prefer a general education pack myself for Toddlers and up.

How about, enough is enough and not let Maxis get away with such a petty money-making scheme and allow us to have a true expanded experience in a single DLC? They can improve and there is always room for improvement. I don't understand this ideology that they are just incapable of doing so. It's a matter of choice. I don't think there is a real need to split up so many things into numbers of DLC just to enhance a player's experience.

Yep. I'm going to bring up this picture again.

Bgqb1zT.jpg

I don't think you understand the situation about the discontinuation of 32bit devices. A lot of games out there do not have 32bit support at all and the developers are doing just fine. Releasing content and such. This is already happening with The Sims 4 with players who use a 64bit supported device. Operating systems that are incompatible will simply not run whatever it is that requires 64bit. That doesn't mean development needs to be halted. It's no excuse for them not to release newer expansion packs. @Simburian
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Hestia wrote: »
    @Simburian The Harry Potter series doesn't define the existence of magical lore nor does ROM base itself upon it. Let's get back to basics here and talk about The Sims series that introduced children that can wield magic.

670?cb=20100718085850

I suggest you expand your knowledge on what sort of magical stories exist out there aside from the Potterworld universe.

Thank you for your arrogant reply. I do know about the history of Sims and Harry Potter, thank you. I was there at the beginning of a hell of a lot more "magic" stuff in games and books than you probably, being an 'elder' and starting with a Spectrum in the '80s, multiple PCs, games and The Sims when it first came out.

You complain about Maxis not copying "The Sims" but others complain about Maxis copying from other iterations so they cannot win can they? They are trying something new and if they don't want kids to do magic they probably have very good reasons for it. I happen to like that I won't have to bother with kids being more bothersome than they are now.

Why can't you ask a Guru on Twitch? You might get an answer why.
    I wouldn't be very much surprised if they add a Stuff pack later for them. It's how kids get gameplay added these days.
    edited August 2019
    @Simburian If the case is that you do have knowledge about the history of The Sims and Harry Potter, then why make this comment? It hints the implication of ROM basing itself on Harry Potter. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if we were to compare a Sims series that had this feature rather than something unrelated to this series? :)

Thank you for your arrogant reply. I do know about the history of Sims and Harry Potter, thank you. I was there at the beginning of a hell of a lot more "magic" stuff in games and books than you probably, being an 'elder' and starting with a Spectrum in the '80s, multiple PCs, games and The Sims when it first came out.

You complain about Maxis not copying "The Sims" but others complain about Maxis copying from other iterations so they cannot win can they? They are trying something new and if they don't want kids to do magic they probably have very good reasons for it. I happen to like that I won't have to bother with kids being more bothersome than they are now.

I wouldn't be very much surprised if they add a Stuff pack later for them. It's how kids get gameplay added these days.

I can't speak for everyone, but wouldn't it be weird for people to simply complain about "copying"? I think people are moreover asking for the same experience in addition to expanded creative gameplay. It's not new that children can't do magic. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 didn't allow this. Only The Sims 1 did. If anything, this is going backward rather than expanding on what we had.

Making us pay extra for features that should have been a part of a free patch or a larger DLC (EP/GP) isn't something "new" for The Sims Studio that works on TS4. That doesn't necessarily mean that people can't critique about it and say that it isn't an ethical way to make money or treat a fan base that keeps these series so close to their heart. SimGurus don't exactly answer anything related to gameplay features or upcoming content via Twitch. They've mentioned this many times during their live streams either straight from their words in the stream or on Twitch chat.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited August 2019
    @Simburian If the case is that you do have knowledge about the history of The Sims and Harry Potter, then why make this comment? It hints the implication of ROM basing itself on Harry Potter. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if we were to compare a Sims series that had this feature rather than something unrelated to this series? :)

I can't speak for everyone, but wouldn't it be weird for people to simply complain about "copying"? I think people are moreover asking for the same experience in addition to expanded creative gameplay. It's not new that children can't do magic. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 didn't allow this. Only The Sims 1 did. If anything, this is going backward rather than expanding on what we had.

Making us pay extra for features that should have been a part of a free patch or a larger DLC (EP/GP) isn't something "new" for The Sims Studio that works on TS4. That doesn't necessarily mean that people can't critique about it and say that it isn't an ethical way to make money or treat a fan base that keeps these series so close to their heart. SimGurus don't exactly answer anything related to gameplay features or upcoming content via Twitch. They've mentioned this many times during their live streams either straight from their words in the stream or on Twitch chat.

I think EA are very wary about its' Teen rating and upsetting groups that create major fusses if anything magic is done for kids and I can understand why. They probably learned something about this after 'Makin' magic' and that is why they are wary. Magic in all its' forms is a major factor for a lot of people all over the world, they are very vocal and have high status in their communities. Some countries burn Harry Potter books remember.

Sims Community got a reminder of this feeling from a message this week.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Lquinn wrote: »
    @Simanite .
    It is all about the money. All companies watch the demographics (which I would think includes what goes on n this site), and make there decisions based on the demographics. Sometimes we get the cool breeze, and sometimes we get the skunk fart.

Well, of course it is. They want to make money, and evidently, YA play is more popular than family play. (And that's not surprising when you consider that the largest single market is a country in which hyper-extroversion is the norm.)

Also, I think a lot of people miss out on all the things you can do with with families - 'just give the toddler a tablet, and they'll learn everything' seems to be common advice. My Sim parents are very involved in raising their kids, to the point that many don't have jobs, or do freelance work, so that they have more time for the kids. My Sim parents spend most of their time teaching their toddlers - they dance together and then teach the tot to say 'Please and Thank-you' (builds manners trait); build blocks together and read to the tot; potty train the tot and always read her to sleep. With my kids, the parents always help with homework and projects, and 'encourage' the child while drawing. If the parent has the 'mentor' trait, they can also coach the child while she plays chess, and I always make sure that they eat dinner together to get some social time together. Some players age up their babies right away, and then they don't understand why the toddler has no relationship with the parent.

Don't get me wrong - my two greatest desires for the game are improved babies and a 'fear' emotion, and if I had my way, every pack would provide as much for toddlers, kids, teens and elders as it does for YA and adult. However, there are loads of players who never play kids or toddlers; those who like occult really are due for their witches, and many people want a romance pack. If we get an 'education' pack that is less focused on the YA social life than previous 'University' packs and that includes other options for kids, teens and older adults, there will be massive complaints about the pack being 'watered down' and not up to previous standards.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,104 Member
    There needs to be Tweens & shorter Teens.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I notice this as well, and it's one of the many reasons I stopped playing the Sims 4. It's clearly geared towards the young adult life stage. No other life stage other than toddlers, thanks to Parenthood, have any real significance.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Not to mention sims 4 kids can do laundry. They can stay out all night with no consequence, skip school to hang out at night clubs “as night clubs are acceptable locations for the children” - a guru told me- and they stay home alone all day whilst their parents are off the lot.

A guru told you that? Exactly that?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2019
    IceyJ wrote: »

A guru told you that? Exactly that?

Yes. Sim Guru Nick told me that on twitter round about just after the bug of random children calling adult sims to hang out was fixed - I asked him on twitter what my sim kids were asking other kids to nightclubs to play hooky and he said a nightclub an “appropriate venue for children.” I beg your pardon, that was his phrasing. I was shocked. I expected it to be a bug!

This was in October 2017. I dont have the screenshot anymore but if you search on twitter it can be found
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I think EA are very wary about its' Teen rating and upsetting groups that create major fusses if anything magic is done for kids and I can understand why. They probably learned something about this after 'Makin' magic' and that is why they are wary. Magic in all its' forms is a major factor for a lot of people all over the world, they are very vocal and have high status in their communities. Some countries burn Harry Potter books remember.

Sims Community got a reminder of this feeling from a message this week.

EA made the Harry Potter games for the HP franchise - they know how it work with HP and kids - so not surprised that kids can't go all wizard on any one that angers them and such.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member

670?cb=20100718085850

Okay - I'm popping my Sims 1 disc back in and playing.

I loved those boxes the game came in - that added to the whole thing.