Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any way to buy sims 1 complete collection in digital download ?

alex_alex09alex_alex09 Posts: 188 Member
I really want to play it again but i can't find my old disks and I don't have a disk reader anyway.
I don't understand why they don't release it on origin like they did with sims 2.

Comments

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I have all my old disks AND Sims complete collection. Still, I would LOVE to see them re-release Sims Complete Collection on Origin, updated for Windows 10 and later systems, since so many have trouble with the installation.

Part of the issue is that if you run an installer that runs other installers, it doesn't work on Windows 10 if all the installers have to be run as admin to work. Only the first installer (not the installers the first installer runs) will run as an admin. So, in laymens terms: Supposing, as I did with Sims 2, you have the Sims 2 installation disk. This works fine to install Sims 2 base game. Now, you try to install Sims 2 University from the Sims 2 university disk. The Sims 2 university installer will start working, but it needs to load the installer from the original Sims 2 disk. That installer will not be loaded as admin because the Sims 2 university installer is still running as admin. (Fortunately, I was able to submit my pictures of my Sims 2 cds to get Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. But I digress.)

External cd/dvd drives are still available for purchase through Amazon and electronics stores like Best Buy or Fry's or New Egg online. Latest check shows one available for around $30. Most of these connect through USB, so set up is very easy.

If you can't find your old disks and don't have the game installed, you are out of luck. To install the game, you will need the serial number from your disk labels or game manual on your disk. If you DO have the game already installed, but just need to play it, there is a downloadable executable file called "TheSims.exe" that will allow you to play an already installed game. I can't link you to it on these forums (try a Facebook group or Sims 1 forum for detailed information, especially since the location of these files tends to change regularly) but you would rename your original TheSims.exe file something like TheSims.old then copy the file into your game folder. (Never delete or overwrite your original thesims.exe file! You will need to restore it if the file you downloaded doesn't work!) Once you have the new file in your game folder, if you did everything right, your installed game will boot up without requiring the cds.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • alex_alex09alex_alex09 Posts: 188 Member
    I have all my old disks AND Sims complete collection. Still, I would LOVE to see them re-release Sims Complete Collection on Origin, updated for Windows 10 and later systems, since so many have trouble with the installation.

Part of the issue is that if you run an installer that runs other installers, it doesn't work on Windows 10 if all the installers have to be run as admin to work. Only the first installer (not the installers the first installer runs) will run as an admin. So, in laymens terms: Supposing, as I did with Sims 2, you have the Sims 2 installation disk. This works fine to install Sims 2 base game. Now, you try to install Sims 2 University from the Sims 2 university disk. The Sims 2 university installer will start working, but it needs to load the installer from the original Sims 2 disk. That installer will not be loaded as admin because the Sims 2 university installer is still running as admin. (Fortunately, I was able to submit my pictures of my Sims 2 cds to get Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. But I digress.)

External cd/dvd drives are still available for purchase through Amazon and electronics stores like Best Buy or Fry's or New Egg online. Latest check shows one available for around $30. Most of these connect through USB, so set up is very easy.

If you can't find your old disks and don't have the game installed, you are out of luck. To install the game, you will need the serial number from your disk labels or game manual on your disk. If you DO have the game already installed, but just need to play it, there is a downloadable executable file called "TheSims.exe" that will allow you to play an already installed game. I can't link you to it on these forums (try a Facebook group or Sims 1 forum for detailed information, especially since the location of these files tends to change regularly) but you would rename your original TheSims.exe file something like TheSims.old then copy the file into your game folder. (Never delete or overwrite your original thesims.exe file! You will need to restore it if the file you downloaded doesn't work!) Once you have the new file in your game folder, if you did everything right, your installed game will boot up without requiring the cds.

I bought new disks from ebay and an external cd drive from amazon, everything works perfect!