Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2019
    Do we know if they plan to add the island counter that wasn't in the pack to pair with the regular counter?
    I love the new kitchen counter but it's difficult to use in large kitchens without matching island counters.
    I can't believe this is the second time this happens. But at least with JA they patched it in quickly. Since IL island counter wasn't in this last patch, I'm wondering it it will ever come.

Some game changers said it will, but it would hardly be the first time they’ve said something that wasn’t true. I remember when they said they were updating the game to take you straight to the world screen instead of CAS. Has yet to happen and it’s been almost 2 years.

Yeah, I am not holding my breath as I saw what happened with Sim City 2013.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • _000key_000key Posts: 168 Member
    I notice an issue happening, I don't know if the hollow gameplay and hollow world's and packs are due to having issues with making all things in PC and all things for console the same. Due to the type of game the sims is and all the reality based things it has like furniture, architecture, and animation. It seems to be really difficult to continue to add pack over pack over pack and still have it compatible on all platforms. that is the impression iam getting as to why the game is so hollow. In essence this affects the both PC and console gamers because the focus is constantly shifting from console to PC. The ideas of packs are good if they were more complete, I do not really understand the concept behind game pack expansion pack and stuff pack it seems to be a money based thing. If only one type of pack instead that is complete. That way game developers can just develop and don't have to figure out or worry about when does this pack start becoming a game pack or when it starts becoming a stuff pack. It would just be one type pack with different themes that can cost around 40$. But it would be a complete pack.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,386 Member
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2019
    @catloverplayer which should have come on launch ages ago.

is this some call for a celebration or what. it's like just putting bandaids on bullet wounds. uwu.
    y'all got bread?
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I love IL. Finally having an island world is a dream come true! Sulani is gorgeous!
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Two months later. Makes one wonder why this wasn’t done when they were making the pack itself. Maxis needs to get this stuff done before they rush their packs out to market. Tossing a missing object in a pack 2 months later makes it feel like something they forgot.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited August 2019

Finally, it's time. Imagine being that late at a conference.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hestia wrote: »
    That is the best thing about Sulani. A beautifully crafted world to distract the eyes from bare bone content. :)

I wish IL had more, but I love what we got. :)

Gotta say though, I wish island events would at least show up on the calendar. I wanna know what's happening! :D
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    it just feels somehow unfinished to me....like they touch on things that could be great (diving, conservation and it's effect, jobs like diver and lifeguard, sulani ancestors/history of the island) but it all falls flat, no going underwater let alone underwater lots for mermaids, rabbithole careers and honestly nothing really interesting about the island traditions so far, nothing that keeps me interested anyway (yeah....kava...um, another drink....wow :/ )....
    you can build on the water but no basements, another sign that they just did not bother with underwater scenery (not even to just look at through basement windows), I was excited for the seethrough floors at first, cause I thought if you build it on the ocean you could see fish and coral and all that, but you can't ...might a well just stare at a pool.
    loungechairs are just boring (the sims even look bored when they "relax" on them) and have way to little different designs, they all look bulky, same with the towels, are they all for toddlers/kids, not that I don't like me some happy, colorful prints too but just not for everyone!

Also I was hoping there'd be more wateractivities added, like "who can hold their breath longer-contest" (wasn't that in the sims 3?), maybe watersports and most of all more wateractivities (and animations in water) for mermaids.

I do like the mermaids, I am fine with their powers (only wish they could actually drown a sim if they wanted to), the mermaids themselfs are good to me, I just wish there were underwater areas for them (and scubadivers) and that evil mermaids could befriend sharks instead of dolphins.

But yeah, it looks pretty and the world is a solid size, also the BB and CAS items are beautiful.

It just does not feel like it really expended my gameplay that much.
    I wrote it before on another thread, I'd be fine if it were a GP, for an EP it just seems too empty and therefor too expensive imho.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    I need to rant too.

The whole thing is just boring and lacking in content. I truly believe this was developed as a Game Pack but sold as an expansion because they know a lot of players don't have high standards. I've been around since the Sims 2 and I know just how awesome this series can be and the Sims 4 simply isn't cutting it.

Looking at the Sims 3 Island Paradise, even with how buggy and laggy it can be, it's embarrassing how much Island Living pales in comparison. Combing the beach for shells and sending sims off to rabbithole jobs are not sell-able features.

I can't sugarcoat this game anymore. I tried to be forgiving but the trade offs, shallow gamplay, and continued lack of obvious yet requested gameplay opportunities has made me such a disappointed cynic. This game is almost 20 years old and it's just sad that The Sims 2, which came out in 2004, has gameplay and personality that blows Sims 4 out of the water.

Ugh. I'm ready for sims 4 to end. If they can't pull through with a quality Sims 5, I'm out. I just don't understand how the devs can be so okay with the crap they're selling. They must know the gameplay is shallow, boring, and uninspired.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member

this whole thing makes me think that maybe the EP was rushed or something, I mean how else could they just "forget" the counters?
    And it would explain why it feels so unfinished and therefor shallow (explain not excuse!).

I think we deserve some free updates for IL, even one free update just adding an underwater area would make many people (including myself) very happy.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

edited August 2019
    Hestia wrote: »
    I love IL. Finally having an island world is a dream come true! Sulani is gorgeous!

That is the best thing about Sulani. A beautifully crafted world to distract the eyes from bare bone content. :)

I agree with you, the beautiful neighborhood does truly for me serve its purpose for which it was designed to do like an new shiny one has to look beyond that new shiny and see what it really does not offer but some are happy with it and if they are, that is thier boat and not mine as my boat floats somewhere else. Sadly for me this is what I can expect from each release.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited August 2019
    RavenSpit wrote: »

this whole thing makes me think that maybe the EP was rushed or something, I mean how else could they just "forget" the counters?
    And it would explain why it feels so unfinished and therefor shallow (explain not excuse!).

I think we deserve some free updates for IL, even one free update just adding an underwater area would make many people (including myself) very happy.

Of course it was rushed! EA needed to milk a cow for EA Play, what's better than The Sims?

But once again there's no more hope. If I was a baker and that I could sell my bread without baking it, and still people would buy it at the same price and fix it at home (in our case mods) I would keep going on.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited August 2019
    @catloverplayer which should have come on launch ages ago.

is this some call for a celebration or what. it's like just putting bandaids on bullet wounds. uwu.

@TheIntrovertSimmer exactly! I was hoping the counters would've been in the August patch. For now, I've been using the custom island living island counter illogicalsims made. Its beautiful and goes with the regular counters, but it will be nice once we get an official version.
  • Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    This is the worst expansion to date. It is boring, shallow, and adds things to the game that don't really make the game more enjoyable. They missed the mark on this one and I wasted my money once again on another Sims expansion. IDk if I am going to come back to the game at this point. I am over it.
  • Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    Raevyn wrote: »
    In all honesty the more I sit here and think about the Sims 4 and everything it has been/become since launch the more I realise that for $50 we could get fully functional whole games from Steam. What does EA give? 1 new world, some CAS items and build items and a half baked mermaid :/

The more I think about their change to the way they deliver expansions/game packs and stuff packs, I've came to the realisation that it is done for a purpose. You see if they were to announce Island Living in say March, that would give people 3 months to build up hype, hope and worst of all in EAs eyes, QUESTIONS!! Which would then lead to disappointment sooner and effect the overall sales outcomes with many people deciding not to buy right away, to wait for a sale or worst of all NOT buy at all.

So, what do they do? Announce the pack VERY CLOSE to release. This means people have less time to speculate, less time to get into the nitty gritty, and complete the pack (for the EA game changers) and see it for what it really is. This way people get hyped and excited (Don't worry I got excited too!) and then pre-order or rush out and purchase it on the day of release. It's only after the fact of a few hours or so of game play they realise it's another disappointment (or what should have been a Game Pack). But TOO LATE! You've already purchased it.

Bingo! It is a setup. They are robbing us.
    edited August 2019
    Raevyn wrote: »
    In all honesty the more I sit here and think about the Sims 4 and everything it has been/become since launch the more I realise that for $50 we could get fully functional whole games from Steam. What does EA give? 1 new world, some CAS items and build items and a half baked mermaid :/

The more I think about their change to the way they deliver expansions/game packs and stuff packs, I've came to the realisation that it is done for a purpose. You see if they were to announce Island Living in say March, that would give people 3 months to build up hype, hope and worst of all in EAs eyes, QUESTIONS!! Which would then lead to disappointment sooner and effect the overall sales outcomes with many people deciding not to buy right away, to wait for a sale or worst of all NOT buy at all.

So, what do they do? Announce the pack VERY CLOSE to release. This means people have less time to speculate, less time to get into the nitty gritty, and complete the pack (for the EA game changers) and see it for what it really is. This way people get hyped and excited (Don't worry I got excited too!) and then pre-order or rush out and purchase it on the day of release. It's only after the fact of a few hours or so of game play they realise it's another disappointment (or what should have been a Game Pack). But TOO LATE! You've already purchased it.

That is how it is with EA/Maxis now, pay more for less and what is sad some are happy with it and that is thier choice of course. However, EA/Maxis will never get what I think is an inflated price. :)
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I can’t help but laugh at how punny it is when people say “it’s shallow”.

Please go on. I’ll be going back to my corner now. :D
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    This expansion is the worst. It's very sad because it had all the potential to be the best but they ruined it. Underwater world???? That would have been fantastic!!!! And add real gameplay. Especially with the half fleshed mermaids.... Really, really disappointing. Diving could have been so amazing. Isla Paradise was SO MUCH better. I mean, I don't even like Sulani. It's not an expansion pack at all. There so NO gameplay. Game packs are definitely better now.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2019

well that explains it. maxis themselves are responsible for milking this franchise.

a lot of games that have a slow release reschedule have two things going for them. they end up with a high quality product that's well tested and nails the little things. they can generate more hype and interest because they only release a game once every few years.

take Death Stranding for instance, it's been in development for 3 years cos Hideo Kojima wants to create a game that is worth the wait and withhold their player and critic's judgment.

meanwhile, EA and Maxis, jesus, this two are like the anti-vaxxers of the gaming industry.
    y'all got bread?

well that explains it. maxis themselves are responsible for milking this franchise.

a lot of games that have a slow release reschedule have two things going for them. they end up with a high quality product that's well tested and nails the little things. they can generate more hype and interest because they only release a game once every few years.

take Death Stranding for instance, it's been in development for 3 years cos Hideo Kojima wants to create a game that is worth the wait and withhold their player and critic's judgment.

meanwhile, EA and Maxis, jesus, this two are like the anti-vaxxers of the gaming industry.

I always said the problem is not only EA.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I didn't watch any of the livestreams or watch/read any of the reviews so my expectations were only based on the trailer and I liked it. I would certainly have preferred the option to vacation there with real hotels, but the world is beautiful and the boats and swimming in the ocean are actually pretty big features IMO (in regards to programming and animations).
  • Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I'm a big fan of the sims4 even though I've played every iteration of the sims at one time or another, and I'm generally not a complainer.....BUT your assessment is correct. Sulani is the most beautiful world we've ever gotten but the gameplay is so lacking. It really should have been a game pack. 🤷‍♀️
  • NoleGrad08NoleGrad08 Posts: 2 New Member
    I've seen this as a common trend among the Sims 4 fan base - the overall feeling that the content lacks depth and detail. I'd really be interested in hearing from EA what they are really hoping to accomplish with the game, because perhaps we just have a disconnect between their goals and our expectations. The former Sims games had tons of little details, animations and unique interactions that made you feel like there was something new to discover around every corner. I personally enjoy the vibe of Sulani. It's beautiful and serene and just gives a different tone, but I agree that it's not fleshed all the way out. Like, there should be some sort of transformation animation that happens when you become a mermaid. It doesn't really make sense to me why fishing isn't an active career when you already have boats. Agree that there should have been some underwater play involved with mermaids as well. Would really appreciate the rationale behind these things. Do they feel the old style bogged down systems and caused their lagging issues? Do they have new team members who haven't played older iterations of the game to capture the essence of what attracted people to it? Are the budgets for the game now smaller? It has to be something.