Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Reviews ~ Stuff Packs

HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
This thread will be dedicated to all The Sims 4 Stuff Pack related YouTube reviews from LGR (Lazy Game Reviews). I will update this thread accordingly whenever there is a new review released for a specific Stuff Pack.

Video order will be from the newest to the oldest.

Latest Review

nXIcOkO.png

https://youtu.be/Nl3KKKerUfQ
wB2Zykl.jpg
Post edited by Hestia on

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited August 2019
    FINALLY!!!

https://youtu.be/Nl3KKKerUfQ

He is the ONLY person I listen to for reviews.

EDIT : He sounds SO done with this game...I feel him xD I feel him.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Updated
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    To be fair, he's sounded done with this game for a long time. It's part of what I like about his reviews. No sugar-coating, though he tries to find good and be fair, and you can about guarantee he'll recommend waiting for a sale.

Plus, chairs.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    If he's SO DONE with the game, why is he still reviewing it?

People laud him as being non-biased, but if he's someone that's annoyed or upset with the Sims, why bother reviewing it? For the views?
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

People laud him as being non-biased, but if he's someone that's annoyed or upset with the Sims, why bother reviewing it? For the views?

Probably. Reviewing something you aren't a fan of is biased too. LGR sounds a bit fake to me. Like he's purposely trying to sound fed up and bored just to appeal to people who want a more sarcastic style view.

I prefer Sim Supply myself, even if I disagree with him on what packs are good and what aren't lol (I love my first pet and he hates it, and I'm not into build stuff etc). But James sounds more real about what he likes and doesn't, not just fake "bored of the game" haha. I get the feeling this LGR guy is more about the youtube views than the game itself when I watch this.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2019

Because he is a reviewer. He also cares about the franchise as a whole, and talks about packs or features he likes. Fans also request these reviews, the sims team used to send free copies of packs. He also reviews a lot more than just sims, hundreds of vintage games and tech too.

Did you watch the review yourself? Or did you form your opinion on what others think or say of him?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Probably. Reviewing something you aren't a fan of is biased too. LGR sounds a bit fake to me. Like he's purposely trying to sound fed up and bored just to appeal to people who want a more sarcastic style view.

I prefer Sim Supply myself, even if I disagree with him on what packs are good and what aren't lol (I love my first pet and he hates it, and I'm not into build stuff etc). But James sounds more real about what he likes and doesn't, not just fake "bored of the game" haha. I get the feeling this LGR guy is more about the youtube views than the game itself when I watch this.

LGR doesn’t need the sims to keep his channel afloat. His channel does fine without it. I think he reviews the packs because he cares about the franchise as a whole and also because people beg him too.

LGR has been surprisingly positive about the sims 4 of late. He was positive about cats and dogs, seasons, Get Famous I think Island living. He didn’t even roast Strangerville which if he were all about the views he would have done. Perhaps his sounding bored is genuine?
    I can believe it. I feel that way. LGR is not biased simply because he is not s game changer and nor does he get all the perks that entails.

LGR doesn’t need the sims to keep his channel afloat. His channel does fine without it. I think he reviews the packs because he cares about the franchise as a whole and also because people beg him too.

LGR has been surprisingly positive about the sims 4 of late. He was positive about cats and dogs, seasons, Get Famous I think Island living. He didn’t even roast Strangerville which if he were all about the views he would have done. Perhaps his sounding bored is genuine?
    I can believe it. I feel that way. LGR is not biased simply because he is not s game changer and nor does he get all the perks that entails.

If he's doing it because people beg him to that would confirm to me it's for the views haha. But yes it could be genuine it just doesn't sound that way to me. he sounds kind of bored of the game which made the review kind of boring to listen to for me. I've listened to a few of his videos but I don't see myself subscribing.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2019

If he's doing it because people beg him to that would confirm to me it's for the views haha. But yes it could be genuine it just doesn't sound that way to me. he sounds kind of bored of the game which made the review kind of boring to listen to for me. I've listened to a few of his videos but I don't see myself subscribing.

I think he’s doing it because some people harass him to the point he probably does it to shut people up. And as I said he cares about the life sim franchise, he’s entitled to a view.

If you concede he’s sounding bored of the game, then how can he be faking it also? That’s a contradiction in terms. And by doing it for the views I mean if the sims ends tomorrow, his channel will survive. It will carry on, he’s not a sims youtuber. He’s not dependent on EA for perks nor dependent on them to continue to make packs to grow his channel. He’s not say dependent on making click bait YouTube videos(the sims 4 gets cars!) or videos every time one of the Gurus tweets their breakfast, you don’t see Clint making videos out of breadcrumbs. He sounds bored because it’s a garbage pack. I think it feels more fake to see people squealing in excitement over swatches. But he’s not going to praise it one day and then throw it under the bus the next like some influencers do. That to me is fake. With LGR, what you see is what you get.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I find myself agreeing with his reviews more often than not. I have been watching his reviews for years, and I find his opinions are without bias of any kind. In the recent past, EA did give him free copies of packs, but LGR's honesty and lack of enthusiasm in new content brought that to an end. He has not said anything about the Moschino stuff pack that I have not already said to myself. And as far as the fact he does these reviews of Sims4 packs just for views on his YouTube channel? He is very popular and doesn't need the Sims pack reviews to boost his ratings. If one doesn't like him or his reviews, don't watch his channel. But remember he does these reviews to share his opinion because Simmers have asked for his opinion. Perhaps his boredom is well deserved because I am finding less and less new content in some of these packs that appeals to me, too. Even the Game Changers have displayed disappointment in the last few new packs; so LGR isn't saying anything many other players aren't already feeling is true about 'new' content. Upgrading features from the base game and older packs is not 'new' content. New B/B assets are not new content. New gameplay options that work without resorting to mods or workarounds in order to make it work as advertised, would be considered groundbreaking because every pack we have had so far has come with a lot of problems that have not been permanently fixed. That has become boring and infuriating after five long years. Is it little wonder he can't bring himself to fake an interest that doesn't exist? Being honest is not a bad thing. It's refreshing, and I applaud him for speaking the truth.
    edited August 2019

If you concede he’s sounding bored of the game, then how can he be faking it also? That’s a contradiction in terms. And by doing it for the views I mean if the sims ends tomorrow, his channel will survive. It will carry on, he’s not a sims youtuber. He’s not dependent on EA for perks nor dependent on them to continue to make packs to grow his channel. He’s not say dependent on making click bait YouTube videos(the sims 4 gets cars!) or videos every time one of the Gurus tweets their breakfast, you don’t see Clint making videos out of breadcrumbs. He sounds bored because it’s a garbage pack. I think it feels more fake to see people squealing in excitement over swatches. But he’s not going to praise it one day and then throw it under the bus the next like some influencers do. That to me is fake. With LGR, what you see is what you get.

@MidnightAura Not a contradiction. He sounds bored of the game. I'm just not convinced it's not acting. In the same way actors on TV shows "sound excited" or "sound bored" or "sound... whatever emotion" it doesn't mean they really are but they still sound that way when you watch it.

It's great he supports the game. If he was really that bored of it, I'm not sure he would. If it's because of harassment from fans like you say, then I feel bad for him and maybe it's more making videos he's bored of, which is understanding too. I don't like to see anyone bullied online, but that doesn't make his videos entertaining to me. I just watched this one through and his tone made me bored watching it. Whether real or fake, it was still a bored tone.

Whether his channel would survive without the videos is a moot point, if he's doing it for the fans he still knows that it's what they want, so he still gets clicks and views out of it. Possibly by being able to tell people he turned down EAs offers, he gets more clicks and views as that's what people want. I dunno.

Honestly I don't care if people are game changers or not, or honest or not, it's not like I'm gonna buy something or not buy it because someone else likes or doesn't like it. I just look at what's included in the pack and make my own decision if it's one I want or not. I only watch Sims videos for entertainment value, not because I agree with them, and for that reason I am more a fan of someone who sounds enthusiastic and interested in the game, again whether they are being real or acting, or negative or positive, I don't care.

Anyways, I didn't come here to argue. Maybe shouldn't have said anything. I'd just heard so much on this forum about this guy lately and so I saw this link and curiously thought to check it out for myself. I watched this one and didn't get the enthusiasm so watched several more and decided it isn't for me. I was simply responding in agreement to another poster, and now that I know it's not my style I'll just skip past these threads in the future and quietly watch videos of the youtubers I do enjoy so those that like him can enjoy his videos in peace haha. Enjoy the review :)

Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited August 2019

@PlayerSinger2010 Please refer to this video.

https://youtu.be/lPRBo2Gnwi4

Here’s a good follow up video.

https://youtu.be/iqaprLT7zic
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019

Every YouTube reviewer ‘does it’ for the views, there’s no shame in that. I could imagine it’s becoming hard for him to find motivation though. Who exactly is he reviewing for. I guess reviewing Sims packs in his case will also come down to habit, the way some simmers keep buying everything because they just do. He’s clearly very attached to the franchise (the videos @Hestia posts are a perfect testimony of that), I think he’s genuinely disappointed in the game; for many simmers he does have a point and no, there’s no acting involved, wish that were true). Whether you watch his reviews is up to the simmer, you don’t have to. He clearly isn’t over the moon about Sims 4, but he does manage to point out what’s in the packs, what’s worth it and what’s not. It’s up to the viewer if they agree or not, his reviews are quite factual and describing. No ‘awesome awesome awesome!’ for the blind sake of it, but also no ‘it’s all equally awful!’ without any explanation. I haven’t seen this latest review yet, but the ones prior to this sounded jaded yet honest and factual to me, and not totally negative either. Rather in a “well if you like this game I guess it’s a good buy” kind of way. That’s all a customer needs to know.

Speaking for myself, if I’m to watch two reviews, one by a simmer who gets every pack for free (and on top of that gifts worth $600 like I learned recently) and one by a once enthousiastic simmer who has to pay for it all now because he’s not so enthousiastic anymore, I know which one will feel more reliable to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    merged another thread on the new review in here to keep it all as together as possible.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I don't actually care about reviews. But I did watch LGR's review of the Moschino stuff pack.

He completely glosses over the Tripod, and how the tripod and the marks interact. The reason the Moschino pack went from "meh" to "I can use that" for me thanks to the Maxis stream.

If I were to rely on him for my opinion (and you should never, ever, rely on just one reviewer for opinions on anything. Heck I don't rely on one friend for opinions on things.) I would have completely missed that. And that makes me a little sad.

But, as I said, I don't care about the opinions of reviewers. I just want them to cover what's in the pack so I can make up my own mind.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2019

I don't condemn him. This game isn't the greatest or most innovative and they keep redoing things over and over as of late.

How many new skills did Maxis add this year up until now to TS4? None.

How many new gameplay systems did they add to TS4 in this year? None.

How many new build mode features have they added this year? One, the stilted foundations but it's not even it's standalone feature, it's more like a reskin of the already in-game foundations.

It's just not a great year for the Sims 4, maybe in terms of money gain yes, but the actual gameplay? No.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I watched the review now and he doesn’t say he’s ‘done’? He just adresses issues this game has that deserve to be adressed.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    I love LGR for his wit and his intelligence. Since he is also a long time simmer, who has played all versions of the game, I trust his opinions because he has a great depth of knowledge (ie., he didn't just start playing the game with TS3 or whatever, like some of the younger gamechangers). I thought his Island Living review was very balanced, and I say that even though I am a bigger fan of the pack than he seemed to be. He did fairly acknowledge the aspects of the pack he enjoyed (like the world and the Off the Grid trait), while also pointing out the lack of depth (as he saw it) in certain things, like the merfolk, and diving (with the absence of a dive lot). The Moschino Stuff Pack review was very unenthusiastic, but he has never cared for stuff packs in any of the iterations of Sims; however, I thought his points were all valid. In order to understand how a skill works, like gardening or photography or whatever, I tend to watch someone like Carl, who does more 'how to' videos, which are different than reviews. Anyway, I really hope LGR continues to review the Sims; I'd really like to see him do some more Let's Plays as well, as his ones from the earlier games (TS1 and TS2) are hilarious.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I don't actually care about reviews. But I did watch LGR's review of the Moschino stuff pack.

He completely glosses over the Tripod, and how the tripod and the marks interact. The reason the Moschino pack went from "meh" to "I can use that" for me thanks to the Maxis stream.

If I were to rely on him for my opinion (and you should never, ever, rely on just one reviewer for opinions on anything. Heck I don't rely on one friend for opinions on things.) I would have completely missed that. And that makes me a little sad.

But, as I said, I don't care about the opinions of reviewers. I just want them to cover what's in the pack so I can make up my own mind.

Yeah, shame he did as he doesn't really go into a lot of detail with packs a lot with their gameplay. Why I like Carl's Sims 4 guide as he actually goes into depth about the features in packs and gameplay in his views and guides while giving a more than a good review with the good, the bad and ugly.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • halihali Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2019
    > @PlayerSinger2010 said:
    > If he's SO DONE with the game, why is he still reviewing it?
    >
    > People laud him as being non-biased, but if he's someone that's annoyed or upset with the Sims, why bother reviewing it? For the views?

He's clearly a longtime fan of The Sims as a series. Who, it seems, has played every iteration for fun. He’s said that TS4 just isn't the game he wants and expected. To be fair, he isn’t alone; many other The Sims fans who enjoy previous iterations feel similarly. He's also aware that many people look forward to his reviews. I believe LGR continues to review TS4 content because he's a Sims fan, he wants the franchise to do well, he wants this current iteration to improve, he genuinely likes The Sims, and he knows a lot of people wait eagerly for his opinion of gameplay features and content (or lack thereof, depending on the pack).

Personally, I appreciate his efforts. It takes skill to write scripts that entertain and~ inform, record, edit, and publish in a timely manner knowing anonymous strangers will either critique or compliment his work and expressed opinions. I look forward to his reviews, even if I don't always agree with his opinion, I’m always interested to hear what he thinks about a sims game especially because he has~ been a longtime fan who has played the games purely for fun; he understands the open-ended sandbox style of gameplay that ought to be at the heart of Sims games. He hasn't lost sight of the charm that Will Wright envisioned and delivered with The Sims and The Sims 2.

I’m less inclined to be interested in, and pay attention to, YouTubers/Influencers/etc who play TS4 only when filming/streaming LPs and never for the pure enjoyment of it. And there's value to be found in the perspective of one who has paid for his/her copy vs one who has been freely given access. I tend to believe one who pays out of his/her own pocket is, often times, going to look at content differently, perhaps a bit more critically than one who was given the same product at, absolutely, no cost to them.

Maybe if one finds LGR’s dry, sarcastic sense of humor bothersome, might I suggest AlbaWaterhouse reviews? I first saw her early access review (here on the forums) for Strangerville; and immediately noticed she is thorough, evaluative, and frank about her viewpoints--positive and negative, language she uses doesn’t sugarcoat nor does it pander to the Game Changer's program she's a member of (IMO).

Clint's reviews for The Sims have, IMO, always been informative, evaluative, well thought out, honest and delivered with his brand of humor. It'll be a sad day when he decides to retire from reviewing its games.

Thanks to the OP who started this thread to alert people of LGR's TS4 review posts.
    Post edited by hali on