Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just when ARE we getting upgraded to 64 bit only Sims 4?

I would love this to come out with the Realm of Magic Pack but Maxis keep delaying it. There is so much more that could be done with the depth of the game.

I sometimes wonder if we'll get it at all. :'(

Comments

• secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    I hope it's delayed as long as possible as I won't be able to get any expansions once it arrives as my mac doesn't do metal.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Last I heard it was pushed back to "the 2nd half of 2019". So who knows :/

My only guess, would be before EP8 is released, probs in November.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    we aren't getting "upgraded" to 64 bit. The 64 bit version of the game already exists. All that's happening is that support for the 32 bit version will be dropped. It's very misleading when you guys phrase things this way.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    "The 64-bit version of Windows 10 can handle up to 2TB of RAM, which allows it to run several Apps at the same time. In comparison, the 32-bit version can handle only up to 3.75 GB RAM and does not allow you to run 64-bit gaming Apps on your computer."

It's an upgrade.

https://www.techbout.com/upgrade-from-32-bit-to-64-bit-windows-10-28109/
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    "The 64-bit version of Windows 10 can handle up to 2TB of RAM, which allows it to run several Apps at the same time. In comparison, the 32-bit version can handle only up to 3.75 GB RAM and does not allow you to run 64-bit gaming Apps on your computer."

It's an upgrade.

that's completely unrelated because it's about windows 10, an operating system.

it's obvious that 64 bit anything is superior to 32 bit, that's not the point of what I said. People keep calling this an "upgrade" when nothing is being upgraded. We already have a 64 bit version of the sims 4 and you can (and probably are) playing it right now. All that's going to happen is that people who play the 32 bit version wont get patches or updates anymore. I want to make this clear because it's extremely misleading to make people think that the game is in some way going to get upgraded when it's not. its staying exactly the same.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The assumption is that once 32-bit support is dropped, the devs won't have to devote resources to testing on 32-bit machines, or design with its limitations in mind. It remains to be seen if the game's future development will be significantly affected by this.

As for my guess, I'm thinking after ROM. It's been due for some time now, so I think they just want to sneak one last pack in before closing the game off to 32-bit/Mac OpenGL players.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    Nah, they're going to squeeze out as much money as possible with Realm of Magic, so I'm expecting the drop to happen sometime after its release.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I wonder that too, last thing I heard was that it was delayed.

Which is a weird thing to delay considering that it is pretty much something that you have to set a specific deadline for. They can't just drop 32-bit support whenever they feel like it. They have to decide if their upcoming packs will support 32-bit or not.

My guess is that they plan to let Realm of Magic have 32-bit support as well, then they will probably drop 32-bit support. If they don't do it by then, then they probably never will.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »

It's an upgrade.

it's obvious that 64 bit anything is superior to 32 bit, that's not the point of what I said. People keep calling this an "upgrade" when nothing is being upgraded. We already have a 64 bit version of the sims 4 and you can (and probably are) playing it right now. All that's going to happen is that people who play the 32 bit version wont get patches or updates anymore. I want to make this clear because it's extremely misleading to make people think that the game is in some way going to get upgraded when it's not. its staying exactly the same.

@Reksoh Pretty much answered this thread.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Hestia wrote: »

It's an upgrade.

Let's wait and see shall we? How do you know that the game isn"t being upgraded? It's due to go on for couple of years yet.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Hestia wrote: »

It's an upgrade.

Let's wait and see shall we? How do you know that the game isn"t being upgraded? It's due to go on for couple of years yet.

Because we can already see that the elimination of 32bit does nothing. Island Living was never intended on being playable on the 32bit version of the game. They cancelled dropping 32bit so more people could buy the expansion like a week before it released, something that would not be possible if there was an upgrade coming to the 64bit game when 32bit support was dropped.

The upgrade to 64bit happened in 2015 before the release of Get Together. There is no upgrade happening now, the game is already 64bit. After they drop support for 32bit machines they will still be making this game for low end machines just ones that are new enough to support 64bit (which still covers some old machines)