Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Free Will Experience (Inspired by other Free Will Challenges)

Comments

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited August 2019
    No worries @ADWilson, I should've just made a decision sooner instead of being so wishy-washy about it. lol Anyway, thank you for your comments on Day 1. I'm flattered you like how I presented it with a 'cover' of one of the shots during the day and want to use that method yourself. I've seen others post their stories/slideshows and even YT Let's Play thumbnails (James Turner for example) this way and thought it was a fun idea. :)

Ziggy is adorable and I have more screenshots in Day 2 of him showcasing said adorableness even more! :) I have no idea who is in the lead after Day 2 yet, I haven't tallied their scores because I'm not sure about a few things.

In light of that, before I can upload and post a link, I have more score questions. Do contestants earn one point for just attempting to cook? For instance, let's say they take ingredients out of the refrigerator, but drop the cutting board on the floor because they can't use the stove. Or they prepare the food, put it on the stove, but then have to stop because the stove isn't working for whatever reason. Do either of those scenarios count as 'prepare' food?

What is the rule about a stove that has been repaired, but still can't be used because a pot with uncooked food is sitting on it? Can I drag it off the stove to a counter?

How do you determine who is responsible for breaking an appliance when the appliance just breaks on its own without any interaction? Nobody? For instance, let's say a Sim is on their way to the refrigerator to get ingredients to cook something. Before they even reach the refrigerator, the stove breaks. Would that Sim be penalized? Or is this penalty only enforced if an appliance breaks while a Sim is actually using it?

Do Sims that grab a quick meal get a point for preparing food? Normally I wouldn't question this and say no, they shouldn't. But if you hover over the food, it says 'made by' the Sim who took it out of the refrigerator.

I really can't post the next Day's slideshow without knowing these answers because it affects what I would say about certain screenshots. lol It was a VERY eventful day. o.O

EDIT: I forgot one thing. Would a Sim get penalized for walking in on someone taking a shower even if neither Sim gets an embarrassed moodlet or any reaction at all?
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited August 2019
    Learning new ways to do things is part of the fun. :)
    Looking forward to getting my fill of Ziggy-ness, lol
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    In light of that, before I can upload and post a link, I have more score questions. Do contestants earn one point for just attempting to cook? For instance, let's say they take ingredients out of the refrigerator, but drop the cutting board on the floor because they can't use the stove. Or they prepare the food, put it on the stove, but then have to stop because the stove isn't working for whatever reason. Do either of those scenarios count as 'prepare' food?

Let me explain with an example from my game ...

Sim A pulls the ingredients out and for whatever reason got interrupted and set the cutting board on the floor. Later on, Sim B comes by to pick the food up (after Doodle had eaten it several times ... ewww!!!) and continues preparing it. Sim B got interrupted while cooking and left the pan on the stove. Sims B is awarded 2 points for using the stove.
    (In case you're curious, Sim C came by and cleaned up the mess. Got a point for throwing away trash!)

Bree & I discussed as it was happening and this is what we came up with:
    The points are given to a Sim for using the stove ... using the grill ... making food using the COOK action when making a meal even if it doesn't require actual cooking (my Sims enjoyed making Faux BLTs).
    Do Sims that grab a quick meal get a point for preparing food? Normally I wouldn't question this and say no, they shouldn't. But if you hover over the food, it says 'made by' the Sim who took it out of the refrigerator.

No, they do not earn points.
    What is the rule about a stove that has been repaired, but still can't be used because a pot with uncooked food is sitting on it? Can I drag it off the stove to a counter?

In my example above, I left the pan on the stove. It was taken care of in the same day.
    If the pan is going to sit on the stove for days, preventing Sims from cooking, I would probably use the Hand of Sim and move it to the trash/delete it. Nobody gains points by finishing the cooking or cleaning up afterwards. "You snooze, you lose! " is how I look at it.
    How do you determine who is responsible for breaking an appliance when the appliance just breaks on its own without any interaction? Nobody? For instance, let's say a Sim is on their way to the refrigerator to get ingredients to cook something. Before they even reach the refrigerator, the stove breaks. Would that Sim be penalized? Or is this penalty only enforced if an appliance breaks while a Sim is actually using it?

In play-through 2, the fridge broke. The only one nearby was the cat sitting on the counter. Nobody got dinged those points.

The next two situations happened during the first play-through:
    I seem to recall a moment where several Sims were watching TV and it broke. I dinged each Sim.

The stereo broke but nobody was in front of it when I noticed so I dinged the last Sim that danced since they happened to be moving away from the stereo and on to something else. You can't sneak that past me, silly Sim!
    EDIT: I forgot one thing. Would a Sim get penalized for walking in on someone taking a shower even if neither Sim gets an embarrassed moodlet or any reaction at all?

Bree added this rule while I was partway through the play-through on the first house because she wanted to add a few more ways to add negative points (not too many!) and even out the scoring a bit.
    I'll be honest: I didn't know this was a rule/pay attention until it came up in conversation so I know I missed quite a few times, lol
    I also missed a couple of times after knowing because it wasn't yet part of my routine of things to check for.

The embarrassed reaction is great at helping the player catch this happening!

The way my bathrooms were set up in the first house, a Sim had to walk past the shower to get to the toilet. Sinks are opposite the shower.

Sim A in shower, Sim B goes to use toilet or wash hands/dishes. B gets dinged.

Sim B using toilet and Sim A comes in to use shower. If neither notice the other ... meaning if the one showering finishes before the other needs to use the sink ... I didn't ding points. If B uses the sink while A is showering, B gets dinged because they can see the other via the mirror. To be honest, I was half tempted to ding A as well since they caused this.

If you would rather not worry about this UNLESS you get the reaction & moodlet, that's fine. The main unwritten rule is that this should be fun to play! Keep it fun and you'll enjoy it all the more. :)
    Okay, given those scenarios, I think I'll be able to figure out who gets dinged and who doesn't. With one exception. The stove broke, the repairman fixed it and he wasn't gone more than 30 seconds and it broke again, along with the fridge. There was a pot sitting on it so I mistakenly thought perhaps it wasn't really broken and the pan was causing the sparks. Really silly of me now that I think about it. lol Anyway, I dragged the pot off and one of my contestants immediately thinks they can cook something, pulls something out of the fridge, puts it on the stove and just stands there. I drag that pot off. AGAIN. Why? I don't know, habit?

This same Sim AGAIN grabs stuff from the fridge to cook, but this time when I drag that pot off the stove they walk away. Later, another contestant picks up the pot and continues cooking it. The other pots and food on the floor were eventually cleaned up and I gave points to the Sims who did so, along with points for the contestant who cooked the food from the pot I'd dragged to the counter. I'm wondering now if ALL those points should be negated since I inadvertently gave them the opportunity to gain those points, right? Ugg, I'm making this too complicated, I'm sorry. I think I need to sit on my hands while watching these Sims. It's SO hard! lol

I need to get some sleep, but I'll look for your answer when I return late this afternoon and then sort everything out and post Day 2. I played Day 3 tonight and I thought I was going to have a game over situation. Day 2 was a doozy, but Day 3 gave it a run for it's money. o.O
    Okay, given those scenarios, I think I'll be able to figure out who gets dinged and who doesn't. With one exception. The stove broke, the repairman fixed it and he wasn't gone more than 30 seconds and it broke again, along with the fridge. There was a pot sitting on it so I mistakenly thought perhaps it wasn't really broken and the pan was causing the sparks. Really silly of me now that I think about it. lol Anyway, I dragged the pot off and one of my contestants immediately thinks they can cook something, pulls something out of the fridge, puts it on the stove and just stands there. I drag that pot off. AGAIN. Why? I don't know, habit?

This same Sim AGAIN grabs stuff from the fridge to cook, but this time when I drag that pot off the stove they walk away. Later, another contestant picks up the pot and continues cooking it. The other pots and food on the floor were eventually cleaned up and I gave points to the Sims who did so, along with points for the contestant who cooked the food from the pot I'd dragged to the counter. I'm wondering now if ALL those points should be negated since I inadvertently gave them the opportunity to gain those points, right? Ugg, I'm making this too complicated, I'm sorry. I think I need to sit on my hands while watching these Sims. It's SO hard! lol

I need to get some sleep, but I'll look for your answer when I return late this afternoon and then sort everything out and post Day 2. I played Day 3 tonight and I thought I was going to have a game over situation. Day 2 was a doozy, but Day 3 gave it a run for it's money. o.O

I'm laughing while imagining this happening in front of me. :lol:
    Of course the stove and fridge break after the repairman leaves. Been there, done that. Hence the rule for being able to fix it on certain days for no penalty and other days for a slight ding to all contestants.

Relax. You're doing fine and will get the hang of leaving your Sims to their own devices. I went from controlling every Sim in the house at all times to playing the 100 Point Challenge (another one by Bree where it's hands off!) and the Drifter Challenge by Vihisha (can only control the heir in the beginning). If I who am a Virgo and a bit of a perfectionist who wants the best for all my Sims can do this, you surely can. :) You got this!!

I would not negate those points but from here on out, leave the pot on the stove alone. Get the stove fixed as soon as possible and carry on watching and laughing while your Sims do what they do.

Think of it this way: You are the narrator, reporting on a reality show. The narrator doesn't step in and tell the contestants what to do but records and comments on what they're seeing via hidden cameras. There are exceptions to your fiddling with things but for the most part it is watch and see. Again, you got this!!
    @ADWilson, oh I was laughing too...while chewing off all my fingernails. lol Yep, I'm used to taking care of my Sims too, I micromanage with autonomy and aging off most of the time. Unless, I'm playing a challenge like this one. :) It's all good! I took your advice and didn't negate those points but I did figure out who broke what and penalized them for it. The bathroom hand washing stalker was penalized as well.

It took me awhile to sort out my screenshots to put them back in the right order since Imgur decided to mess them all up after I uploaded, but here's Day 2, finally. I hope you enjoy the chaos. lol It's a bit long, but I promise they won't all be like this. There was just a lot going on in this day.

Day 3 coming up soon! :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Hi everyone, sorry I've been a ton busy with the kiddos and RL and school starting soon for the wee ones, so I been enjoying the heck out of them for the last week! Please forgive me for being MIA, I would say you have choose a perfect way to showcase your play though @Karababy52, I'm headed to read/see it now! I agree with the sticking the forum rules and I agree most don't do it too, for what ever reason! I can't wait to get back into my challenge and see more of everyone else's challenge! Enjoy and have a lovely Sunday! <3
    @ADWilson Thank you so very much dear for answering questions, you are so awesome and so correct! I love how you explain things! Super Awesome! <3
    @Karababy52, Ziggy is super cute! I see Nadine and Will making a close relationship! I love your house, its super cute! Can't wait to read more about day 2 <3<3
    @Karababy52 Day 2 was just as entertaining as the first day. Ziggy is adorable and his antics made me laugh. "I am not Ziggy. I am statue Ziggy." LOL Your voice for telling the story leads me to believe you're having fun with this! Looking forward to seeing what happens in Day 3!!
    edited August 2019
    No worries @BreeMiles I completely understand, believe me. I have two beautiful grandchildren that I spend every moment I can with them. <3 Thank you for the lovely comments about my play-through so far and about the house. I think it turned out quite nice, even though modern isn't my forte. lol It's not strictly modern though, so that helped. :) Will you be posting any of your play-throughs for this? No pressure, I'd just be curious to see. Nadine and Will? Hmm, I have a different couple prediction, but we'll see. ;)

Thank you too @ADWilson, glad you enjoyed it! hehe I just love that cat, he's so playful and feisty! I am thoroughly enjoying this, so yes, you're right! :) I can't wait to read more of your play-through too!

And, here's Day 3! Day 4 will be coming soon!

Hope y'all have a great week coming up! <3
    edited August 2019
    @Karababy52, I have set up a thread to post my play through with everyone! Link below! I hope you and other's enjoy reading!

Day 1
    07-19-19_5-03-36_PM.png
    Post edited by BreeMiles on
    @Karababy52, that look on Ziggy's face is priceless, while fixing to steal some food off the floor! Okay "I had my eyes shut the whole time" this is making me chuckle out loud! :D I love the way you tell your stories, very awesome! Day 2 was a complete hoot! I loved reading!
    @Karababy52 Day 3 was very entertaining! Ziggy is a hoot with his little side comments.

@BreeMiles Your contestants are making me laugh with their "saltiness" and reactions when walking in on one another! Oh my goodness, I bet you are laughing as you play.
    fw5-1.png

Free Will Day 2
    Note: Picture Heavy!
    Man, thunderstorms are just the worst for Sims shouting forbidden words eh? I don't know about you, but I don't swear when there's a storm. lol I might gasp in surprise if a bolt of lightening hits close by and sometimes scream/squeak, but that's it. o.O

I see Doodle has a lot of fears too, like Ziggy. The pic of Doddle dancing with one of your Sims is SO cute! I thought having to tell dogs to go outside to do their business was fixed in a patch? Or is it because Doodle's a puppy and hasn't learned yet?

Interesting how your Sims 'play in the rain' inside too. By the way, I love your voice in this too, some of your comments are hilarious! For instance, "Brooks is disappointed by running out of chips" and what you said about Tyler's 'guilty pleasure'. lol

The funniest and my favorite screenshot in this Day was the last one, the Blooper, "....is there something you should be telling me?" :D Looking forward to reading more, thanks so much for posting! :)
    edited August 2019
    BreeMiles wrote: »
    @Karababy52, that look on Ziggy's face is priceless, while fixing to steal some food off the floor! Okay "I had my eyes shut the whole time" this is making me chuckle out loud! :D I love the way you tell your stories, very awesome! Day 2 was a complete hoot! I loved reading!

hehe Yea, Ziggy makes some funny faces, love him! <3 The screenshot was just begging for it with Will having his eyes shut! He was extremely tired as you might have surmised, but it just fit. lol Thank you, so much for commenting, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @Karababy52 Day 3 was very entertaining! Ziggy is a hoot with his little side comments.

@BreeMiles Your contestants are making me laugh with their "saltiness" and reactions when walking in on one another! Oh my goodness, I bet you are laughing as you play.

I can't resist 'talking' for Ziggy, he just has such an expressive face. I used to 'talk' for our pets back in the day for my kids when they were little and it always had them laughing and requesting it. "Mommy, talk Tigger, please?" :) I have been laughing a lot in this challenge, it's been fun. Shed a few tears too. I'm just a big softie when it comes to my Sims. I know they're just pixels, but I care about them, some more than others, and want them to be happy, succeed, etc. *shrugs*

Thank you both so much for posting your play-throughs, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading them. My Day 4 will be coming up in a couple hours or so and I might post Day 5 soon after as well. Have a great week! <3
    As promised, here's Day 4. I hope you enjoy it! :)
    Can't wait to ready day 4 @Karababy52, but first I need to catch up on day 3!! <3
    @Karababy52 poor Ziggy! Get him healed up fast, I would have chosen the same! <3 Yes a point for cleaning the laundry is cleaning! Congrats to Jack for the promotion! Can you yourself pull the item the lighten left and sell it? Whitney is living dangerous! Will is racking up those points! I hope he can hold it!
    @Karababy52 your day 4 starting out with what looks like a kiss with Will and Nadine! <3 Congrats on the promotion Will! ;) Whitney and Will are still leading with points, I hope their sickness goes away soon, can't wait to read Day 5!
    @ADWilson I love your day 2 already! Super fun play though! I loved catching up on it again! <3
    @Karababy52
    Ziggy is as adorable as ever! All those illnesses have me a bit concerned ... hope they can recover from then sooner rather than later. Your screenshots are stunning and the story as entertaining/enjoyable as ever. So glad you're playing too!!
    ... it has to be the house! Even visitors are getting into the spirit of things, lol
    43.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top