Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Island Living even worth $30 (25% sale)

I see that there's a sale going on. Is Island Living even worth $30 or should I wait for a cheaper sale down the line?

Comments

• HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    If you can wait on it, I would wait. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    It's worth it. But I'm one of the rare people who thinks that it's worth it at full price, so...
  • Mandarine586Mandarine586 Posts: 161 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    If you can wait on it, I would wait. :)

enough said
    thank you both for your response

• catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I like it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2019
    It's one of my favourite packs so far just because I love the world of Sulani and it's residents. It has some great build and buy items and also the cas items are nice but most of them only really suit the world of Sulani.

Mermaids are disappointing to me but other players seem to be enjoying them and I wasn't really that fussed to have mermaids in the game in the first place so there is that.

It has some rabbit holes here and there where I think something more interesting could of been such as the boring cave, diving and even the new careers that could of been so much better. The whole conservation thing is dull and makes barely any visible difference to the Island once completed. A few butterflies, plants and some huge ugly butt seagulls show up and we only really get to clean up one Island up but some how it effects all the others too. I would of preferred much more depth to the whole conservation thing. The Volcano seems to only effect lots with the Volcano trait so that also seems rather pointless and dull to me as well.

If you're just looking for a nice new world to play in with some nice items and clothes then yes it's worth it. If you're looking more for new game play options then no it's definitely not worth it. Island Living excels on visuals but lacks greatly when it comes to actual game play.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Darn y'all this made me laugh. It's a little bare but it's not THAT bad. Like waiting for it to be 5 dollars in the thrift shop. But to answer the question I really think it depends how much you want or enjoy a beach island type of setting because that's all your going to get. I wanted a beach world for a long time so I am enjoying it for the full price I paid.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I've been waiting for University far more than a beach world (though I did want that too), and I wound up liking Island Living even more than I thought I would. Yes, it is a bit bare in terms of game play. I'm hoping that in the future they remedy this. However, the world of Sulani is gorgeous and I find it to be quite relaxing to play in. Not a thing I'd have ever imagined I'd want or enjoy in a Sims game, but here we are. I enjoy the mermaids, however I agree with what others have said about thinking there could've been more done (especially with how well Vampires were done in this iteration). Who knows, all in due time maybe? Is it necessarily worth the money? I'd say yes, but to each their own. I paid full price and I don't regret it.

Maxis seems to have been struggling for a bit lately, but I get the sense that's changing. Moschino is a surprising SP and I think it shows a change in direction for the team, and I'm liking it. Yes, IL is lacking in terms of game play, but my sims are loving the beach, getting tans, and swimming in the ocean. I'm just glad swimming is a thing my sims can enjoy doing. I don't regret all those pools I built in their backyards anymore. I haven't played Off the Grid since launch when it was broken, but I imagine now that it's working properly it will be loads of fun, which seems to be the focus of IL more than anything (and for the record, I was enjoying Off the Grid even when it was broken). Which is good because we wanted that with Laundry Day and didn't get that then. See, all in due time.

If money is an issue right now, I'd say wait. But definitely don't count the pack out all together. It helps round out the game play in a surprising way. Sulani is the perfect location for a spa/resort lot that your sims can enjoy. So I recommend it if you've enjoyed any of that game play as well.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I would check let's plays via youtube to see if it is worth the cost. I got it as a birthday gift, otherwise I would have waited for a half-price sale myself.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I'm waiting for a 50% off sale because the beach theme doesn't interest me that much. From a let's play I've been watching the new world does seem unique aesthetically. It's honestly really beautiful.

Swimming/diving mechanics are all but forgotten in the lp though as they weren't very interesting to begin with. So if swimming/diving/beachcombing/collecting objects aren't your thing then I don't see much else holding your interest.

Perhaps the new careers or the odd jobs will add enough spice, though I'm not sure if they are built for long-term fun. I say, if you're not itching to play on the beach then waiting a little longer is a good choice. I mean, you'll be playing in that world eventually, right? Might as well save some cash.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Is there a Best Buy where you are? If so, there's an even better sale going on right now! 45% off Island Living! I think it's like $21 plus some change.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I think it's worth the price of a GP or less.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I'd probably wait for half, but that's really up to you as to whether or not saving an extra 10 bucks is worth waiting a few more weeks or even months.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Thanks guys!!
    Is there a Best Buy where you are? If so, there's an even better sale going on right now! 45% off Island Living! I think it's like $21 plus some change.

Nice! I do but I haven't purchased a physical copy of The Sims since Sims 3, is it a disc or digital download from Best Buy?
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited August 2019
    I would say yes, but I also won it in a giveaway so it's hard to be unbiased :D
    funny-gifs20.gif

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    @Mandarine586 They only sell digital downloads now. You'd be buying a box with a code in it.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
    @Mandarine586 They only sell digital downloads now. You'd be buying a box with a code in it.

Ok thank you
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I bought it full price but could have waited. I was not overwhelmed by it. The trailer looked fantastic and I screamed when I saw the mermaid at the end. Then I realized that I normally don't choose to play with occult so I bought it mainly for the build buy items. Aliens sort of invaded the first island living story. Was not happy. I did just snag Get Famous for 50% off. So I have everything now.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    From what I've read on the bugs, glitches, and emptiness I'd say wait for at least a 50% sale. Seems the main feature is pretty, and pretty isn't worth full price.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I bought it when it was first released and would happily pay full price again for it. I really like this pack.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I got it for about 60% or so and I think that was a fair price. I am disappointed that you can't summon a sea monster or dive underwater though. I knew you couldn't dive underwater before I bought it but for some strange reason I was convinced that mermaids could summon a kraken.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    idk i think it is worth it since there isnt single thing i hate that came with it and i find myself using it a lot in my game

but tbh if you don't care for the pack id just say don't get it would be in order

if there isn't urgency to get pack id always wait since sales will only get bigger as time passes
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    As a player that doesn't really like TS4 at all, I'd say it's worth it. I really enjoy the new world and I think it added some fun new features. Enough to keep me interested for a bit.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I think it's worth it. I've wound up using it a lot more than I thought I would. One thing I enjoy is having kids play in a sandbox in other worlds.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Not for me as I will wait for it to come down to $19.99 or lower.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen