Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaids a Disappointment, Fear for Realm of Magic

2...Next

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I never understand why people expect mermaids to be the same as vampires,. Since vampires were released in full theme game pack, and mermaids wee released in a expansio pack.I think mermaids are ine . They got powers,tail customization. The only thing is I would love if they had a little world for them.
  • vampirekimvampirekim Posts: 190 Member
    I kind of expect another clone of the Vampire Skill system. Probably some reused effects from Vampires as well.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    What I fear is the GP just reuses buffs already in game. Since they seem to be on this kick to resell and reuse assets lately. A potion to make tense, a potion to remove tense? Ho hum. It would seem like overkill since there are dozens of ways already for Sims to be tense and to relieve that buff. It seems their special crystals and buff objects (basegame gameplay) has/ have actually defeated any reason to buy something new that can do the same thing. Overkill is never fun.

I agree I could see some of the vampire effects being reused...
    Influencing emotions is repeated a lot but emotion is big to the Sims 4. What kind of magic would you like to see?
    giphy.gif
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    vampirekim wrote: »
    I kind of expect another clone of the Vampire Skill system. Probably some reused effects from Vampires as well.
    What I fear is the GP just reuses buffs already in game. Since they seem to be on this kick to resell and reuse assets lately. A potion to make tense, a potion to remove tense? Ho hum. It would seem like overkill since there are dozens of ways already for Sims to be tense and to relieve that buff. It seems their special crystals and buff objects (basegame gameplay) has/ have actually defeated any reason to buy something new that can do the same thing. Overkill is never fun.

Influencing emotions is repeated a lot but emotion is big to the Sims 4. What kind of magic would you like to see?

Personally, I'd like to see fun magic. For example, frog spell, sickness curses/heals, turn Sim tiny or huge (like we have for furniture), send bees after them, change sims into statue (long term curse?), have them use telekinesis (magically wash dishes or cook dinner), read levetating books, unlock doors (like vamps, visit without permission), protection/fighting with vampires spells, elemental spells (fire, water, earth, wind. For like, gardening, calling rain cloud above sim, drying up puddles, putting off fires, putting windy curse), pulling prank spells (for teens and kids), transmutation spell, um etc. My list still feels dry and lacking, needs more fun fun spells! Also would be great to have magic duels again like Makin' Magic! Those were so fun. I also hope got group spells, so covers of witches can join in ceremonial hoods/robes and chant around magic circle. Spells like raise the dead, talk to ghosts (Ouji board?), heal curse, summon frog rain, etc. I want quirky funky spells, as well as classic and useful ones. But none of that "get sim to become tense/flirty/etc" stuff, so boring! Better to have needs taken care of, and love/hate spell, and maybe pregnancy spell/curse! Also would be cool to have potions like "be a mermaid for 24 hours", yet witch as well, so theres chance of hybrid mod work around. Oh, yes and definitely need fun and useful potions. Like one that can turn into cat, or poison, turn into gold, etc. And bring Bonehilda and dragons back too!
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    a small part of me is hoping that there will be something for the mermaids in ROM too, maybe at least decorationwise....
    but anyway, GPs seem to be less dissapointing than EPs and going off the vampire GP I do have high hopes for ROM...but if the eff it up...I don't know....I don't even wanna think about it...
    I don't really need another occult besides witches/wizards though, I do not like humansized fairies and have no interest in werwolfs in the sims, can't really say why....plus I'd rather they do one occult really well, than 3 ok ones.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member

I'd like there to be spells that take the form of semi-permanent traits (like perks and quirks for fame are rewritable traits). Like with "Quirk-B-Gone" or the celebrity retreat, there'd be simple and easy ways to instantly remove them (probably just in the rewards store). But, for a challenge, there'd also be gameplay mechanics that you could use to address them instead.

Examples:

- A "Love Curse" that makes 95% of attempted romantic interactions fail. You need to succeed in getting a kiss ("True Love's Kiss") to remove it.

- Any "Swan Lake" style curse. Sims with the trait turn into a statue/swan/ogre/bear/dog/cat/whatever the devs would pick at sunrise, and only turn back human at sunset. The important part to me here is that this wouldn't just be an aesthetic irritation - it would need to have gameplay implications (can't do certain interactions, or do anything at all, or if they go in public non-friend NPCs will default to a "fight!" interaction or something). Some hard to find in-game collectible or cultivated plant or something is needed to remove it the hard way. (Bonus: this trait is inheritable, so would pass to kids if you didn't cure it).

- Dancing Curse. Your sim cannot not dance when within [x distance] of a music source. Only way to stop dancing is turn off anything playing music in the vicinity (or try manipulating things to get the sim out of range). They add a couple dancing mechanisms so your sim can try to break nearby stereos and things while dancing, but the trait could be potentially deadly if your sim starves to death while dancing or something. Can be removed by getting and maintaining a bored mood for 24 hours (or by a special foot massage if you have Spa Day).

These are just some ideas, but we know how specific traits can get. Maybe a "makes all food taste bad" curse, or an "always triplets" curse or more.

And, of course, you could have the reverse. Charms that do good things. Charm traits that make it so animals (pets, bees, dolphins, etc) will always listen to you. Charm traits that make it so you're immune to death by (fire/drowning/starvation/whatever).

And traits that can be seen as good or bad depending on the game you're playing. Or just create chaos.

Like a trait that makes all (non-relative age-appropriate) sims that meet your sim instantly fall in love with them (one-sided, your sim doesn't necessarily fall in love back) would be super useful for a 100 Baby Challenge or someone playing a Casanova scenario, and terrible for other sims just trying to live their normal lives. And would, of course, create lot of in-game drama with married sims running into a sim like that and instantly being smitten. (A cure to encountering a Narcissus sim could be obtained, again, from the rewards store - but also purchased from a witch. A kind of anti-love or memory-wipe spell, where your sim can erase their feelings for a sim of their choosing). Something like that might be too disruptive for some people's tastes (so it might be necessary to make it something that never shows up in the game unless the player is the one to initially introduce it - an action that is never autonomous), but it could be a lot of fun.

Plus spells to do things that are already cheat mechanics, but currently not in-game mechanics. Like we have stuff for teleporting sims (for aliens and wellness skills). But cheats allow us to summon sims to us - and summoning sims and animals sounds like a fun witchy power. You can already use cheats to summon any sim you want to any lot - it feels reasonable to just give it a UI menu and call it a witch's spell. (BONUS: if you wanted to do something the game cannot do - the witch can summon sims not only by name, but by certain parameters. So a witch could summon a Single Young Adult Male Who Isn't Evil And Has The Romantic Trait if she's feeling lonely and wants to try her luck with a (probably confused) stranger. Or summon a Child Any Gender Who Isn't Mean if she's looking for a playmate for her kid - and the game will either summon an existing sim that meets the parameters or generate one if there isn't one.)

IDK - if it's a lot of stuff like mood manipulation (which we already have potions and celebuserums and those Jungle Adventure berries and MORE for), or just re-using the Scientist inventions for Get To Work, or just adding new menus or a couple new animations to mechanics we already have, I'll be disappointed.

That's not to say witches shouldn't GET an ice spell, or a transfiguration spell, or mood spells, or need spells. Might as well, since the mechanics are already there! It's just to say magic should also be able to do things that are totally NEW.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hmm... the only occults sims that I am truly disappointed with are plant-sims. I have plenty of ghosts, aliens, mermaids and vampires in all my saves but not a single plant-sim. Hope they will receive a upgrade at some point because I refuse to play them as they are.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Angellulu wrote: »

Personally, I'd like to see fun magic. For example, frog spell, sickness curses/heals, turn Sim tiny or huge (like we have for furniture), send bees after them, change sims into statue (long term curse?), have them use telekinesis (magically wash dishes or cook dinner), read levetating books, unlock doors (like vamps, visit without permission), protection/fighting with vampires spells, elemental spells (fire, water, earth, wind. For like, gardening, calling rain cloud above sim, drying up puddles, putting off fires, putting windy curse), pulling prank spells (for teens and kids), transmutation spell, um etc. My list still feels dry and lacking, needs more fun fun spells! Also would be great to have magic duels again like Makin' Magic! Those were so fun. I also hope got group spells, so covers of witches can join in ceremonial hoods/robes and chant around magic circle. Spells like raise the dead, talk to ghosts (Ouji board?), heal curse, summon frog rain, etc. I want quirky funky spells, as well as classic and useful ones. But none of that "get sim to become tense/flirty/etc" stuff, so boring! Better to have needs taken care of, and love/hate spell, and maybe pregnancy spell/curse! Also would be cool to have potions like "be a mermaid for 24 hours", yet witch as well, so theres chance of hybrid mod work around. Oh, yes and definitely need fun and useful potions. Like one that can turn into cat, or poison, turn into gold, etc. And bring Bonehilda and dragons back too!

These are awesome ideas! Too awesome for the sims 4! Lol. I am also highly afraid it will be magic related to emotions which is boorriinnggg.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    When they announced it... I've been ready for Sorcerers, Mages, Wizards for a long Time, since the Sims Supernatural. I couldn't wait for this moment. And now that the moment is almost here I'm apprehensive about this...

I was hoping this pack would top Vampires at the very least... I know I'm going to be disappointed when I realize certain spell styles and animations that aren't there... And I'll be very disappointed that they Called the Life state a "Witch" I've said it a million times, "Witch" is just so underwhelming Why settle for something so basic, when you can be so much more! A Sorcerer, heh now that's real power.

I really want to be a able to look at my sims especially my Sorcerers, and hopefully following are Werewolves, in a new light. Not just "oh that was Funny, Silly, and Quirky" I defintly don't want my sorcerer to look like a Fool, Like Vampires when they mesmerize other sims they do that odd funky eye thing and wiggle their fingers and it looks so Idiotic so I don't mesmerize sims. I want to be able to respect for my characters. I want my Sorcerer to be Force of Nature. I'd like them to have style When they Cast spells.

This is more of My Alley when It comes to Magic and My style of game ply notice how almost seamless magic is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoCHnvW6X9A

The Evil Queen Admires the Poisoned Apple while Snow White Sneaks up on her.
    And Snow White's "Execution."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlakt5K0Y7w

I Just Love Regina's Style. Her costumes, her Sass, her Queenliness
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdw0dYCQmE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyCyJSQvMOU

As a Parent, If your two powerful children are about to fight, It will take a Powerful Parent to override their child's spells... at the same time... and take their memories.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaawFtqDMXY&t=40s

I really want to be able to rip out hearts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGAMZGcfcYQ

There's a lot more scenes From Once Upon a Time but this is what magic Looks like, but In better quality for me.
    I want to be able to have my evil Sorcerers curse and cast devastating spells and not feel bad, and revel in their victim's misery.

And then It's Kingdom Hearts Ultimately That Holds the Other Half of my Magic Standards as a video Game
    There definitely needs to be an RPG element, I think with combat in the sims.

When Seasons Came and I saw how Sims can have a snow ball fight and move around a part of me grew hopeful for when Sims fight with magic. and then Island Living Came out and i saw the Elemental Spirit's Powers and how they were animated So the bar is set really high now.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • LaraNocturnalLaraNocturnal Posts: 74 Member
    I always forget plant sims can even exist until I see someone say something that reminds me.
    Angellulu wrote: »

SO many good ideas!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L09ld07hEVc

Looks like we are getting more information tomorrow! So excited!
    I wonder if that portal is for a magic secret world or if we are getting a full new world that you can live in. I'm hoping for both!
    If it takes the Sims to a place similar to Magic Town from Makin' Magic that would be cool!
    giphy.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    ROM #5 on trending now! Love it!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    ROM #5 on trending now! Love it!

It looks fantastic! My jaw dropped a little after seeing the world and I can't wait to dress my Sims in the new clothing. My doubts are hopping on a magic broom and flying out the window. Can't wait for September 10th!
    giphy.gif
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I'm already a bit disappointed with ROM as there is no spiral staircase, my little heart is aching for just one spiral staircase for my unfinished builds.
    I don't like the worlds much as I really liked the sims 3 one, darker and more mysterious with things to collect.
    I'm not into Harry Potter, I have never read a Harry Potter book or watched a Harry Potter film so if ROM is based around that then I won't find it in the slightest bit interesting and will probably only use it for building and creating rather than game play.
    I will try to keep an open mind though until it is released.
    edited September 2019
    mock68 wrote: »
    I'm already a bit disappointed with ROM as there is no spiral staircase, my little heart is aching for just one spiral staircase for my unfinished builds.
    I don't like the worlds much as I really liked the sims 3 one, darker and more mysterious with things to collect.
    I'm not into Harry Potter, I have never read a Harry Potter book or watched a Harry Potter film so if ROM is based around that then I won't find it in the slightest bit interesting and will probably only use it for building and creating rather than game play.

Edit: I enjoyed the dark, spooky world in Sims 3 as well but Forgotten Hallow seems to fill that void for me :)

Has it been confirmed that spiral stairs will not be coming? I know SimGuruRomeo responded to a question on Twitter regarding spiral stairs and I quote, "Hmmm.... that is a peculiar question. Why would you ask something like this..........?"

To me it seems they are avoiding the question because they are not ready to fully release or confirm that we will be getting new stairs but are possibly hinting at the idea. It's an odd way to respond to something that has been highly requested, just seems fishy.

We are getting a Maxis Monthly on September 3rd where the team will be showing off new CAS and Build-Buy items for the base game, I wonder if they will announce new stairs during that time! I can't see spiral stairs being exclusive to RoM so fingers crossed!
    giphy.gif
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited September 2019
    mock68 wrote: »

Personally, I hope that if we ever do get spiral staircases or ladders or L-shaped or curving staircases that we get them as part of a patch to the basegame. I know in the past they used to add these smaller or special stairs to a pack but I think they would do better as basic build elements where any glitches will be corrected more easily and there can be many more recolours in a variety of styles like there are with the regular staircases and fences. I also hope they fit all wall heights, which would be more likely if they were added to the basegame.

As for the magic in this game, I highly doubt that it will resemble the magic in Harry Potter or in any other franchise or fictional world very closely. Magic in Harry Potter is a complex mixture of a supernatural force which overrides natural law, a class-ridden and hidebound social structure, another ecosystem with its own magical wildlife, creatures and plants, and an alternative form of technology (which is mostly incompatible with actual technology). It would be difficult to replicate in the smaller medium of a game pack.

Any resemblances to Rowling’s world would be largely accidental, too, I bet, given that Rowling relies on so many well-established folkloric elements like redcaps and hinkypunks, boggarts and unicorns, dragons and gnomes, etc.

Plus we’re already aware of differences with Harry Potter that are more than superficial: wands in this pack are optional while in Rowling’s world wandless magic is rare; magic here is not a skill while in Rowling’s world it takes years of schooling and lots of practice, to learn. Magic will not be involved in any wars or battles or long term societal upheaval, either, as in the books. Magical powers in HP are also inexhaustible and are not really depleted by doing complicated or difficult spells — something different has been implied about magic in this pack, where spells can fail leading to inadvertent curses and there is a new magical death type (maybe caused by exhaustion of magical power or magic going awry).

I also really doubt there will be anything resembling the Unforgivable Curses of HP! No murdering people or torturing them into insanity in the Sims.
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member

PlantSims were poorly done, but they were part of a free patch/ challenge. So it is my hope that they could some day be revisited/ revamped, maybe with another free patch or as part of a Farming Expansion pack. To tell the truth, I am the least concerned about them since they are a made up being unique to the Sims franchise.

They’re not, actually. The concept of a plant person isn’t new at all in gaming culture, much less mythology. DnD/Neverwinter has the dryads which are based off of dryads from ancient Greek lore. DnD has had them since before The Sims was a thing. Guild Wars 2, while much younger than The Sims, also has a plant person race called the sylvari. There’s also the floran of Starbound. I can go on but yeah, it’s not unique to The Sims.
  • My biggest concern is that Spellcasters are heading straight for the same long, buggy road vampires have been stumbling down since they were added. Even now vampires currently have four unresolved bugs, one of which hasn't been addressed all year and one that was fixed once but broken again later.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Echova wrote: »

PlantSims were poorly done, but they were part of a free patch/ challenge. So it is my hope that they could some day be revisited/ revamped, maybe with another free patch or as part of a Farming Expansion pack. To tell the truth, I am the least concerned about them since they are a made up being unique to the Sims franchise.

They’re not, actually. The concept of a plant person isn’t new at all in gaming culture, much less mythology. DnD/Neverwinter has the dryads which are based off of dryads from ancient Greek lore. DnD has had them since before The Sims was a thing. Guild Wars 2, while much younger than The Sims, also has a plant person race called the sylvari. There’s also the floran of Starbound. I can go on but yeah, it’s not unique to The Sims.

Well yes but they weren’t called dryads or associated with trees in the TS2. I love dryads (and naiads, and other mythological creatures from the ancient world) and would love to see something like them in TS4, as I think I said elsewhere in another thread. In TS2, plantsims were created chemically as a consequence of the overuse of pesticides. They were a very unique lifestate in how they reproduced asexually, had their own narrower range of needs and lived shortened lives compared to ordinary sims. So they have their own lore, quite different from that of dryads and other plant-based creatures etc. I would love to have them back in TS4 in full form in future but I don’t care much for them now as a temporary state.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Echova wrote: »

Well yes but they weren’t called dryads or associated with trees in the TS2. I love dryads (and naiads, and other mythological creatures from the ancient world) and would love to see something like them in TS4, as I think I said elsewhere in another thread. In TS2, plantsims were created chemically as a consequence of the overuse of pesticides. They were a very unique lifestate in how they reproduced asexually, had their own narrower range of needs and lived shortened lives compared to ordinary sims. So they have their own lore, quite different from that of dryads and other plant-based creatures etc. I would love to have them back in TS4 in full form in future but I don’t care much for them now as a temporary state.

Yes, it is the temporary status that disqualifies plantsims for me. I am a rotational player and it would irritate me to no end to always see my poor plantsims walking around in the wrong state. Which the sim would do very shortly after switching household. Part of the charm of rotational play for me is interacting with my other favorite sims. With my plantsim I would have edit the sim back to it’s original state every time. Less fun, more irritating. Easier just to ignore them for the time being and hope that they will receive an update at some point.
  • BaglamukhiBaglamukhi Posts: 38 Member
    we all fear for the worst
    LEMF22I.gif
  • AnterosAnteros Posts: 2 New Member
    Being a huge sucker for Mermaids I'll give credit where credit it's due: In The Sims 4, unlike The Sims 3, you can actually create Mermaids in CAS, the designs of tails and upper parts are much better and the way they swim it's much cuter and well designed.
    However, I do feel like they were an afterthought in the expansion pack... cause you can't really get them to do anything relevant, unlike in Vampires. And they could have had so much fun with it. I just wish they come up with an expansion pack only about Mermaids, with a fully underwater world with building mods designed after underwater things. It would be super cool if they researched on merfolk lore (which is huge!) and added more of that into the gameplay and make actions like "mermaid's kiss" for example make the sim that you kiss fall in love with you? It's kind of what mermaids do... have like interactions with pirates and/or with more marine creatures?... I would happily pay for a game like that! And, considering how little representation Mermaids have in video games, other gamers in love with these creatures would too!
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there,

Since this thread had been inactive since 2019 and had run its course, I'm closing it as per our necroposting rules.

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top