Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your favorite type of custom world?

So I'm considering playing around with CAW and I was wondering what people are happiest with. Do you prefer small, medium, large, flat, mountains and beach, river, isle, completely populated, somewhat populated, completely empty, A, B, and C expansions, themed, etc.

Please let me know! :)

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I like to play two types of worlds:

Large world that has a bustling downtown and on the outskirts a quiet suburb; that way my sims can live in a quiet neighborhood, but can go out on the town for bars and such.

And the other is small rural or foresty type of world where everyone knows each other's names.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    I like a word with everything I can fit.
    It has to look good and run well with a good layout.

If it will be your first world, maybe just a medium world which You like and runs well will be the best to aim for.
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I like a word with everything I can fit.
    It has to look good and run well with a good layout.

If it will be your first world, maybe just a medium world which You like and runs well will be the best to aim for.

First, thanks for your input! It helps to know what people look for :) As for the size, it's not the first time I've played with CAW, I just honestly have never done anything with the thought of perhaps seeing if anyone else wanted to play it. I know that I'm in the minority - those who can play TS3 with all expansion packs enabled and I really only know how I like setting my own worlds up for my own play style. However I am playing with the thought of building one for other people to use so I thought I'd ask to get a broad perspective :)

I like to play two types of worlds:

Large world that has a bustling downtown and on the outskirts a quiet suburb; that way my sims can live in a quiet neighborhood, but can go out on the town for bars and such.

And the other is small rural or foresty type of world where everyone knows each other's names.

Thanks Gracey! That helps a lot to know! Do you usually add or move lots to worlds you play? Or do you like worlds that are as is? What's your favorite range of houses - I'm curious as to how many starter homes vs mid range vs high end vs luxury lots I should have and how many of them should be empty, etc. Do you value aesthetics in building a home more or function more (nothing saying you can't have varying degrees of both lol.) Sorry to pick your brain, but knowing your play style a little really helps me in the answer to those questions so I was super happy you answered! :blush:
    @AbellaKellaher
    Aw, I'm glad you find my play style helpful.
    For me, I like to have the world with a variety of homes, some starters, some mid range and some luxury,
    I even like to have a few farms in there as well.I prefer a world to be play ready, with most lots finished, but don't mind
    adding a few lots myself that I've downloaded.I like cozy lived in feeling to homes, but if that means making a stove not be able to use then I rather have function(so I don't have constant stuck sims)
    68752586_354978715426387_6373414769260494848_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQmTfBzwFX0lpig5lg-duSuPcwaCWBFSzDsrcSR_WauTsbAkclQMEub5FZ2SazoZieo&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=42466e660ee856a2cbeb0d384486194a&oe=5DE67CCB
    For example: Everything Island: Bustling downtown

67813786_354978705426388_2994382968920735744_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQmrje3_5THVe5albWwLmr0KMOhyEVWpMdul4U5j_mCpeOJIKcvih6cif8oSV_2RO1w&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=8e5f577936d92271f5672fc3aee98fae&oe=5E142CC5
    With quiet suburbs on the outskirts.

I like when my sim has to drive across town to work; because it reminds me of home.
    Awesome, perfect thank you for giving me a visual example that's fantastic! :)
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I like it when people put normal lot sizes, so you can place the size lots that are in edit world. But some put odd size lots and you can't place normal lot things in it. like 39x40, well most commercial lots are 40x40 there are no commercial lots 39x40.
    @Evalen
    If you're not against mods, there's a mod that allows you to place the odd sizes
    http://modthesims.info/d/471164/add-any-lot-size-edited-01-16-2014.html
    I found a lot of worlds I liked had weird sizes, so I gave this a try.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    @GraceyManor I don't use mods, but thank you for responding.
    @Evalen
    Sure.I'm afraid there's no fix for it then.Wish EA would have included the odd lot sizes, even their own worlds have them.
    @GraceyManor probably knows how I feel about CC - and mods. I do NOT use CC and generally the only mods I use are NRAAS mods that make the game run better because Maxis made it necessary for some brilliant folks to fix all their bugs (although I use NRAAS animator for my science fiction love story occasionally lol.) I've just never trusted them, and honestly I always thought "the less crap in my game the better." While generally that's true, and I use zero cc in terms of custom items, clothes, etc., I can 100% double her support of and vouch for anysizelot. I'd pop an eyeball trying to fix pre-made Maxis worlds without the ability to actually change those hinky sized lots myself and anysizelot is really a very small mod to the code that simply allows the player to work within those hinky sized lots. But I feel you, @Evalen - pop an eyeball frustration levels at odd sized lots that we can't replicate in game for sure, so other than when I feel it's absolutely necessary I will always use to Maxis available lot sizes for sure, that's a fantastic point, thank you for your input :)<3
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    I like world with a theme, and ones with careful detail put in. I am a fantasy player personally, and while it can be fun to have witches and vampires running amok in a modern city, I don't personally like it.

I prefer more fantasy themed worlds, so that my fantasy play style doesn't seem to conflict. The crazier the better. I build worlds of my own and they can be a little weird. But playing witches especially often, I've started making my personal populations leaning more towards Victorian era all the way to medieval periods. I've slowly been amassing CC to reflect these time periods, and most sims I make now are dressed this way.

I also tend to love worlds that are JAM PACKED with lots and fun things to do. I want a lot for EVERYTHING. From the sky diving center to the bot arena, to the local grocery. As far as expansions go, I bought all the sims 3 content available on steam a couple years ago, so I tend to prefer worlds that lean in the direction of accommodating that.

However, being a builder doing a large world and having to build all these things, I can say it's a huge headache, and I don't think I'll ever make one quite as large scale as my current project. I'm actually resorting to using the room hider debug item so I have less that needs to be built.

I also prefer populated worlds, especially if they have a healthy population (Another reason I just need tons of lots, lots of people make the world more immersive!). If a world comes with its own population I am usually a really happy camper.

As for landscaping, forests and mountains. Rivers are REALLY fun in CAW in my opinion, so almost all worlds I've made have one. Get creative with them!

Other important details are "good" and "bad" areas. Like you might have the up scale large lots, or the large apartment complexes, and then tiny lots crammed together (lots should have 2 grid tiles width between them for routing). Also establishing an architectural style for the area, it can be anything that pulls the buildings together, like a certain type of roofing or wall style.

Best advice I can give, build a small world first to familiarize yourself, it can even be just a test size version of a world you want to build. Second (or maybe truly best) advice I can give is have a strong concept going in. I find that my free hand projects are almost never finished, but the projects I'm really passionate about and have a strong sense of concept on have the most success in terms of completion.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I prefer medium to small worlds as my puter does not play large worlds well. I also prefer that the premade lots not be jammed packed with stuff because that will just bog the world down to the point my puter won't play it. I can add stuff I need if you leave room as the creator. :smiley: I also like empty lots of varying size so I can add things I've made over the years. I would also say use mostly base game stuff or just a few ep's in creating the world since the more you pull from the store EIG will get very cranky. Keep a record of what you use that might be store or special SP or EP items so you can list on a thread for those interested in you world. Somethings the game can replace with proxies, but not bridges, stuff like that. Plus, not everyone has all the ep's even now. I don't mind a few high rises, but prefer small town atmosphere's as a rule.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    large with a 'town' area and a 'village' area and a lil holiday/beach area
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @AbellaKellaher

Right now my favorite EA world is the Tropical style of Island Paradise however this world needs a lot of tweaking before playing for most players.

I mean please somebody give me this life-)

U5yoz4Q.jpg

Next up is @Rflong7's supernatural world which has separate dedicated areas such as a fairy/genie area, a vampire city walled area, farming/horse area, witches and werewolves, so it's perfect for all my fantasy playing. The world also has beach areas but I mainly play fantasy themes in this particular world.

This is dawn over the farming area..

glqC9QF.jpg

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/922535/supernatural-island-wip/p1

Aside from Rflong7's own unique builds for this world we also had some exceptional builds made specifically for this world by @Hidehi that fit the themes of the world perfectly..plus @romagi1 from our wonderful DNA build team made me the most stunning pirate themed build I set as a basecamp for this world so there is plenty of scope for player to have a go at.

Next is rflong7's very new world called Pangaea this world has several different terrains that flow into one another and look stunning. I have just starting playing in this world and getting used to the various areas as I will play different themes in different areas of the map. Some beautiful inspirational pics on the next couple threads..

Just look at that lovely terrain leading off towards the dessert style area :)

DiKy34C.jpg

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/962976/thanks-for-the-world-name/p1

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/945497/pangaea-a-new-world/p1

Last but not least I love pure city worlds for the nightlife, the bars, the bands, celebs and again on of my favorites is rflong7's my Bridgeport world because it is based on EA's Bridgeport but made large enough to add extra lots..

This a pic of one of the extra areas added to the world that I use for mys supernatural sims as there is not a lot of room in EA's bridgeport for any of that-)

0FgxtHs.jpg

http://myworlds-rflong7.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-bridgeport.html

I also like worlds that have plenty of lot sizes so i can fit in resorts, roller coaster gondolas and the like because my sims just love their entertainment :) I also WA style worlds but have not come across anything as yet I feel would make a perfect home world. like large worlds but maybe a lot of players don't and I just love beautiful terrains and scenery (us players don't ask for much do we-)

Any world with these sorts of themes above I would be happy to try out as long as it's CC free as I add enough of that myself lol and while I have only mentioned rflong7's worlds here does not mean I have not appreciated other players world builds and I still have plenty downloaded to try when I get the time but as I have to try designate time for the things I want to do with my game at the moment these are my 4 current world projects I am playing and reorganizing :)

• KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @AbellaKellaher

Right now my favorite EA world is the Tropical style of Island Paradise however this world needs a lot of tweaking before playing for most players.

I mean please somebody give me this life-)

This is the one you want to fix Island Paradise:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=514909
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    Hi @KevinL5275

I have tried to use this fix on my digital (1.69) game and my disc game on a seperate hard drive (1.67) yet despite following the instructions meticulously it did not work on either system for me at all and when I read the comment section it appears to be an issue for other players as well.
    Hi @KevinL5275

I have tried to use this fix on my digital (1.69) game and my disc game on a seperate hard drive (1.67) yet despite following the instructions meticulously it did not work on either system for me at all and when I read the comment section it appears to be an issue for other players as well.

Do you use NRAAS mods? I have played a lot in IP but it'd be unplayable for me without my NRAAS mods.
    Hi @AbellaKellaher

Yes i use NRASS mods have for years but I still had to follow some of @cianes instructions to get it to work better for me. I wanted to try the world fix just to see if it made it any better but sadly it did not work on either version of the game for me so i gave up lol
    Gah that stinks, @SPARKY1922, sorry to hear :/ Thank you though for providing links and fantastic descriptions of the types of worlds you like and why. It helps a lot to get a clear view of what other players look for and why.
    @AbellaKellaher

You are welcome have you any initial ideas for the type of world you would like to make?
    @AbellaKellaher

You are welcome have you any initial ideas for the type of world you would like to make?

A few years ago I had started to make one that I think I'm going to work to re-create. I think I'm going to go with a large island map though. We'll see, still just kicking it around for now :)

@AbellaKellaher

I love large maps and islands so you made my day-) please let me know if/when you start your project i would love to follow the progression..
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited August 2019
    I've been looking for a player made world that doesn't include stuff from Supernatural, Into the Future, or stuffpacks. Or store content. As I have none of the aforementioned but want a nice new world to play with.

Also i don't have university life

just some suggestions if you decided to put it on the exchange... if I chose to get it ☺ IP dive lots and houseboat would be fun too.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    A large world with 20 lots to build. Forests, swamps. yellow brick roads, labyriths, hollows & the woods.