September 17 - We just released a small patch for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac - click here for more details.
September 13 - It's Friday, so what do I have for you? A Friday Highlight - here!

Do you still have hope?

Comments

  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,636 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    The Moschino Stuff Pack livestream gave me a lot less hope... wish I could change my vote.
    OriginID: hestiah23 | Showcase
    jfIpSFy.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 5,662 Member
    No it’s to late
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,394 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    I agree with your post, the way I see it if you been doing an series let say for quite an while, each version should be getting better and better the company should have an better handle on what to do regardless of what is being used. Now sometimes you may falter because one decided to stray away from an formula that did work and it started with Sims 3 but it still was an good game that had good features it just EA/Maxis did not take the time to tweak what they had or fix the bugs in an timely manner they just piled more and more packs on like they are doing with Sims 4. Then come all the controversy in the beginning on how Sims 4 was created, stripped of all features that most had seen in Sims 3 and deguised as an reboot in which for me was never meant to be an reboot it was just an ruse to hide its shortcomings and over time Sims 4 did improve but not to the point where some could really sink their hands into it and have long memories of just finishing playing and I do not have that feeling as I did with Sims 2 or 3. Yes, this game is so geared for low end as I can see it really is not challenging for me to play. Heck you do not need to spend thousands let alone hundreds on an system to play an game that does not challenge much. Also it lacks creative tools to create your own world so my creativity is stunted.
    AMD 2700X 16 GB AMD Radeon 590 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB Recon PCIE 3D LG Ultrawide 34"
    AMD FX 8350 16 GB AMD Radeon 390 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB Z Samsung 27"
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited August 11
    I don’t know i hope so
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    @drake_mccarty The irony of that is most of the fan base for TS4 fails to realize the fact that the mobile games are receiving a lot more “polished” content than the PC counterpart.

    Heh. Are we “beta testing” mobile features on a much more superior platform? :D
    OriginID: hestiah23 | Showcase
    jfIpSFy.png
  • LexiBaiLexiBai Posts: 29 Member
    No it’s to late
    I find it really hard to have faith in the sims 4 team to actually fix these issues, the game has been out for 5 years now and there has been no effort to fix anything so why would the bother now? I want to see sims 4 fixed but I have little hope that it will be.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 739 Member
    No it’s to late
    Hestia wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    @drake_mccarty The irony of that is most of the fan base for TS4 fails to realize the fact that the mobile games are receiving a lot more “polished” content than the PC counterpart.

    Heh. Are we “beta testing” mobile features on a much more superior platform? :D

    Kinda feels like it at this point. I think they may be trying to push everyone towards the online games so they can focus on those and quietly get rid of the the main series.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Anit08Anit08 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi there I have been on the sims forum for 10 years and cant find the bloody button to post a question or start a new discussion, so here I am.

    My question to the sims community is: I love downloading lots with CC included in the lot zip files. I find it extremely time consuming to download a lot and each custom content individually (like so many creators do). I have only been able to find TWO creators who include all the CC they use in their lot downloads.

    1) Dinha
    2) Frau Engel

    I CANNOT find any other Sims 4 creators who included all the CC they used in their lots zip files.

    I have been using the above two creators for years, and I have exhausted their content for now... if anyone knows of any other creators who INCLUDE CC in ONE simple download PLEASE let me know who they are?

    Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

    Anit
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,636 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Anit08 wrote: »
    Hi there I have been on the sims forum for 10 years and cant find the bloody button to post a question or start a new discussion, so here I am.

    My question to the sims community is: I love downloading lots with CC included in the lot zip files. I find it extremely time consuming to download a lot and each custom content individually (like so many creators do). I have only been able to find TWO creators who include all the CC they use in their lot downloads.

    1) Dinha
    2) Frau Engel

    I CANNOT find any other Sims 4 creators who included all the CC they used in their lots zip files.

    I have been using the above two creators for years, and I have exhausted their content for now... if anyone knows of any other creators who INCLUDE CC in ONE simple download PLEASE let me know who they are?

    Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

    Anit

    Hi there. You can use the search function on the forums to look up keywords or topics that match your issue. This way, you won't need to post in a random thread about your discussion. :) @Anit08
    OriginID: hestiah23 | Showcase
    jfIpSFy.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,366 Member
    I don’t think anything needs to be fixed
    I don't need hope - I love the way the game is going. For me it's working beautifully and just as I want it to go.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 205 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    First, a very quick history. I played the Sims 1, liked it, but found it frustrating and quit. Did not play Sims 2, but played Sims 3 on console, did not like it so I quit. I love the Sims 4.

    So, I don't understand the question (or poll), but I have read an awfull lot of discussion concerning the topic, and have been very curious about it all.

    Can someone explain to me how personalities were better, how there were more consequences, and how Sims had better emotions. I ask in all seriousness.

    Thanks to all who answer.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,478 Member
    No it’s to late
    If the core issues people feel exist haven't been fixed in five years, their continual hope is wasted.
    "In the name of the moon, we will punish you!"

    tumblr_pxn53rtcny1rekivco1_400.jpg
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 205 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    @PrincipleOfEntropy

    A. That was an incredible lesson, and B. That would have taken me hours to compose. I am going to copy and paste that into a document for future reference.

    You are awesome.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,366 Member
    edited August 18
    I don’t think anything needs to be fixed
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    I took computer sciences in college. I did not work on games though after they had windows OS or an internet. Those things did not exist when I did machine basics or built computers. I did not tinker with the Sims games because they were not out when I was doing computer work. Do not dare say I do not have a formal education in this.

    But I did tinker with the games from the time they came out - not on a pro level as i said. No reason to be insulting on your part though.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 3,092 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Just looking at the traits and what they actually do in Sims 4 it is truly pathetic a few whims and emotions and not much more. So sad how advanced traits in Sims 3 are compared to now they do so much to give the Sim personality I love that the a family oriented Sim wont like the emperor of evil and little things like good Sims cant steal from wishing wells it helps define and make each Sim unique depending on the traits you pick unlike now.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,636 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    @PrincipleOfEntropy Excellent infographics! Hopefully this sheds some light on uninformed Simmers.
    OriginID: hestiah23 | Showcase
    jfIpSFy.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 311 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Never say never. Never thought we would have Mermaids now we do. Never thought they would give us a proper alien town, now we have Strangerville to go will Get to Work. Never thought we would have proper costume varieties, now we have Get Famous.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,311 Member
    No it’s to late
    Can’t say I never thought they’d do mermaids, why? I did think it would be mermaids living in an underwater world though.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 5,662 Member
    No it’s to late
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    I took computer sciences in college. I did not work on games though after they had windows OS or an internet. Those things did not exist when I did machine basics or built computers. I did not tinker with the Sims games because they were not out when I was doing computer work. Do not dare say I do not have a formal education in this.

    But I did tinker with the games from the time they came out - not on a pro level as i said. No reason to be insulting on your part though.

    I was not intending that as an insult, but it’s still true. I’m sorry your education in the area happened before advancements in technology happened. That’s unfortunate, but you are saying yourself you did not go to school to learn it after it happened so there is nothing to be offended about. The people programming this game have the knowledge on modern programming languages and whatnot because they went to school to learn this stuff.

    Like I said it’s not a skill set you’re going to pick up in an afternoon. Cool that you used to tinker with computers prior to the first modern operating systems but that doesn’t mean anything in 2019 when technology has vastly changed. Again, nothing I said was pointed at you or even directed at you in an insulting manner. Just sticking that out there a second time because I can’t believe you’re offended at what I said.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,629 Member
    edited August 18
    I don’t know i hope so
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    I took computer sciences in college. I did not work on games though after they had windows OS or an internet. Those things did not exist when I did machine basics or built computers. I did not tinker with the Sims games because they were not out when I was doing computer work. Do not dare say I do not have a formal education in this.

    But I did tinker with the games from the time they came out - not on a pro level as i said. No reason to be insulting on your part though.

    I was not intending that as an insult, but it’s still true. I’m sorry your education in the area happened before advancements in technology happened. That’s unfortunate, but you are saying yourself you did not go to school to learn it after it happened so there is nothing to be offended about. The people programming this game have the knowledge on modern programming languages and whatnot because they went to school to learn this stuff.

    Like I said it’s not a skill set you’re going to pick up in an afternoon. Cool that you used to tinker with computers prior to the first modern operating systems but that doesn’t mean anything in 2019 when technology has vastly changed. Again, nothing I said was pointed at you or even directed at you in an insulting manner. Just sticking that out there a second time because I can’t believe you’re offended at what I said.

    So you don't think the programmers on this game have kept their skills up to date? That you cannot learn on the job? This what those just out of university think and why many big businesses now like to offer apprenticeships instead.

    Quite a few of our kids in the UK have become millionaires before they are 20 just with messing about with programming on their computers.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 5,662 Member
    No it’s to late
    Simburian wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    For someone who has no formal education or background in the field ya it’s not something you can pick up in an afternoon. Neither is tax accounting, law, etc. All of those things are still doable. Incredibly doable; granted you have acquired the skill sets to do them.

    The programmers at Maxis, they aren’t tinkering. They have (I assume) a formal education in the area, and they know what they’re doing. If they don’t it’s not because what they’re using is too complex it’s because they lack the knowledge/skills to use it. Hardly a good excuse for bad programming or a programmers inability to do something. You’re right there are tons of technological pieces that video games did not have 10-20 years ago, and it’s not like Sims 4 is taking a whole lot of advantage of them. This game was designed for old, low end computers after all! It’s not like they support the biggest and best modern games. Sims 4 is an anomaly and it’s lackluster toolset and boring gameplay aren’t streamlined because programming is so complicated; it’s because this game was always meant to be a shallow online quick and easy cash grab and the only thing they changed was the online component.

    I took computer sciences in college. I did not work on games though after they had windows OS or an internet. Those things did not exist when I did machine basics or built computers. I did not tinker with the Sims games because they were not out when I was doing computer work. Do not dare say I do not have a formal education in this.

    But I did tinker with the games from the time they came out - not on a pro level as i said. No reason to be insulting on your part though.

    I was not intending that as an insult, but it’s still true. I’m sorry your education in the area happened before advancements in technology happened. That’s unfortunate, but you are saying yourself you did not go to school to learn it after it happened so there is nothing to be offended about. The people programming this game have the knowledge on modern programming languages and whatnot because they went to school to learn this stuff.

    Like I said it’s not a skill set you’re going to pick up in an afternoon. Cool that you used to tinker with computers prior to the first modern operating systems but that doesn’t mean anything in 2019 when technology has vastly changed. Again, nothing I said was pointed at you or even directed at you in an insulting manner. Just sticking that out there a second time because I can’t believe you’re offended at what I said.

    So you don't think the programmers on this game have kept their skills up to date? That you cannot learn on the job? This what those just out of university think and why many big businesses now like to offer apprenticeships instead.

    Quite a few of our kids in the UK have become millionaires before they are 20 just with messing about with programming on their computers.

    If you read what I actually wrote you would know that isn’t what I said at all. Learning on the job is a given, but you aren’t learning the basics of the profession on the job. If you are going to try and create a back and forth it would help if you nailed down the points I made before trying to argue with me about them.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 47 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Hey, @PrincipleOfEntropy thanks for posting that! I've posted one or two trait comparisons around, but it's nice to see more and laid out like that for more people to see! I don't even think it's impossible for them to put it in the game now, even if they don't tweak emotions. The problem is whether or not they'll do it.

    I really think fixing the traits/personality problem will help extend the fun of the game and I really wish more people would realize it. People shouldn't be asking for more updates and packs a week after the release of a pack. They don't realize that more stuff doesn't make the game fun.

    (Side note, that's why I'm worried about Realm of Magic and University, IL was pretty disappointing and nothing says they aren't falling into a pattern of graphics over game play).
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 713 Member
    edited August 18
    I don’t know i hope so
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    Hey, @PrincipleOfEntropy thanks for posting that! I've posted one or two trait comparisons around, but it's nice to see more and laid out like that for more people to see! I don't even think it's impossible for them to put it in the game now, even if they don't tweak emotions. The problem is whether or not they'll do it.

    I really think fixing the traits/personality problem will help extend the fun of the game and I really wish more people would realize it. People shouldn't be asking for more updates and packs a week after the release of a pack. They don't realize that more stuff doesn't make the game fun.

    (Side note, that's why I'm worried about Realm of Magic and University, IL was pretty disappointing and nothing says they aren't falling into a pattern of graphics over game play).

    I agree - I think they should do a "base game overhaul" of sorts. Improve the babies, teens and elders (so those life stages are unique and special). Make the traits more like TS3, where they actually mean something and make Sims unique. Lesser the effect of emotions on Sims, so who they are isn't determined by their emotions, but rather their traits. Maybe add some extra layers to their personalities, through star signs, favourites, turn ons and turn offs.
    Post edited by divanthesimmer on
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top