Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strangerville selling better than Island Living & Get Famous, surprised?

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I would like more packs like Strangerville.

Me too, it's weird and a little bit disturbing, which I love. I would like a little more flexibility with the story mode though, and the ability to explore it with multiple Sims who can form a group to solve it together.

I would like that to what about multiple endings that would be cool depending on what kind of sim you use @LiELF
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    ØUŘ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĐŘ€ŞŞ€Đ IŇ Ř€Đ ŞĦ€ IŞ β€ΔUŦ¥
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Actually I don't know why they say this pack is so different though as Will Wright touched into that a lot in Making Magic with the little side quest we could do for the merchants in the game to earn magic stuff and ingredients. I loved that. We got to help other sims having problems and get free stuff that was truly free.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Actually I don't know why they say this pack is so different though as Will Wright touched into that a lot in Making Magic with the little side quest we could do for the merchants in the game to earn magic stuff and ingredients. I loved that. We got to help other sims having problems and get free stuff that was truly free.

Because this pack has a story. It’s not side quests it’s a campaign of sorts with a beginning, middle, and end. Something that has never existed in a mainline PC Sims game, and something that doesn’t work with the sandbox of The Sims.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Seems to work really well for a whole heck of a lot of simmers that play the Sims including me. So it's my opinion that linear play and sandbox play can exist very well along side each other in this game... and well does. I get plenty of sandbox play out of that world, the inhabitants, the infection and the military career. It's also a great place to take photos. My photographer was there today actually taking shots of the premade locals and the bustle of scientists and military personnel. I'm even tempted to actually finish the storyline on a photographer so I can get a investigative reporter vibe going in my story. Instead of just going to the end and deciding to link up with the dark side.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    affleck11affleck11 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm thinking of getting one of either, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, or Get Together. Which one is the best for 20 dollars?
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It doesn't surprise me. SV is probably my favorite pack and that includes the EPs. Right now my town is in normal state after solving the mystery, but I intend to start it back up again because I love the vibe of the town with the story in stage 2/3. It's just so eerie and different from every where else in the game. I might throw a "haunted/abandoned" house in that town and have a sim break down there. lol Just for the fun of it.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    while I am dubious about EA's claims about anything lol Strangerville was a world i was not expecting to like very much but did. I played the quest then turned it back on and changed the world into a sort of military/conspiracy world playing a bunch or roomies and using builds that look apoplectic with residents doing their best to just get by :)

@Hermitgirl

I like the sound of your investigator/reporter play in that world I think that could work out very well :)
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    affleck11 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of either, Strangerville, Jungle Adventure, or Get Together. Which one is the best for 20 dollars?

@affleck11 origin is having a sale right now, packs are anywhere from 25% - 80% off depending on type. Who knows, you may be able to get two packs for the price of one ☺.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I would like more packs like Strangerville.

Me too, it's weird and a little bit disturbing, which I love. I would like a little more flexibility with the story mode though, and the ability to explore it with multiple Sims who can form a group to solve it together.

I would like that to what about multiple endings that would be cool depending on what kind of sim you use @LiELF

@comicsforlife That would be awesome! Alternate endings depending on what decisions were made would be really enjoyable. 😊
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    No, cause the fanbase has clearly changed.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member

Jungle adventures. Lots to do and the setting is beautiful. If you get high enough in archaeolgy you can have a nice side income from identifying artifacts for some outside association.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Overall, the sims is more sandbox than game, and Strangerville is the most game-like of the Sims packs.. not surprising that it'd sell well on a game platform.
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Strangerville introduced a true villain into my Sims' stories. I don't have a lot of truly evil Sims. Most just get a little too power hungry and eventually reform. It would definitely be my favorite game pack if not for Vampires.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The problem to me with Strangerville is the fact that you can't turn off the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 story without the help of a mod. I'd love to buy it for the world and the BB items but... I just can't get past the story. I'm not paying to play Little Shop of Horrors: The Video Game.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    The problem to me with Strangerville is the fact that you can't turn off the plum story without the help of a mod. I'd love to buy it for the world and the BB items but... I just can't get past the story. I'm not paying to play Little Shop of Horrors: The Video Game.

If you run into the issue I did, you will cry. I wanted the world so I waited and got it on sale. I did the story so I can fix the town and thought I was just going to be enjoying the world. OH NO!!! The cloud got stuck in my neighborhood even after mother died. I was really upset and still trying to get it resolved on the bug forum.
  • Options
    thelawtmanthelawtman Posts: 1,424 Member
    I personally hated the pack. Beating the mother was the most annoying thing I have ever had to do in a sims game. I will never do it again. I also find the world itself pretty mediocre. Nothing makes me ever want to visit there.
    Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a highly respected watcher, and now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily. I just wish I could sleep. - Rupert Giles

lpOEB4y.gif MeEUgvO.gif
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited August 2019
    Game Packs are more well-rounded than Expansion Packs, at least in Sims 4 Era. Get Famous lacks music and modeling, while Island Living lacks underwater exploration. It is what it is.

The only thing that annoyed me in Strangerville was the fact that Strangetown already fits the theme, it deserves a remake in newer games, most simmers love its inhabitants, but they decided to pretend that Strangetown wasn't a thing and that they had to create a new world just for the sake of creating a new world. ugh, i have to stop before i write an entire article of why Strangerville should've been a Strangetown remake instead.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Seems to work really well for a whole heck of a lot of simmers that play the Sims including me. So it's my opinion that linear play and sandbox play can exist very well along side each other in this game... and well does. I get plenty of sandbox play out of that world, the inhabitants, the infection and the military career. It's also a great place to take photos. My photographer was there today actually taking shots of the premade locals and the bustle of scientists and military personnel. I'm even tempted to actually finish the storyline on a photographer so I can get a investigative reporter vibe going in my story. Instead of just going to the end and deciding to link up with the dark side.

I’m glad you enjoy it. For the price I thought the campaign should have been a lot longer. DLC quests are common in RPG games and a $20 DLC should offer more than an advertised 3-4 hours IMO (especially when the sandbox nature of the game can make the 3-4 hours less time if you aren’t starting with a new household). I just think if The Sims is going to dip their toes in RPG story driven quests they should put more umph into it - you know? It doesn’t work because the main attraction is very short and that’s just a problem with putting a story mode in a sandbox game’s DLC.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

I’m glad you enjoy it. For the price I thought the campaign should have been a lot longer. DLC quests are common in RPG games and a $20 DLC should offer more than an advertised 3-4 hours IMO (especially when the sandbox nature of the game can make the 3-4 hours less time if you aren’t starting with a new household). I just think if The Sims is going to dip their toes in RPG story driven quests they should put more umph into it - you know? It doesn’t work because the main attraction is very short and that’s just a problem with putting a story mode in a sandbox game’s DLC.

Thank you I'm glad I enjoy it too. I've played the linear part on and off for wayy more than 3-4 hours personally. Many of my sims don't complete it or it goes on hold at certain levels while I play my game around it in the various stages that that world can become. Many of my sims have lived in Strangerville without touching the aspiration at all come to think of it. I just like the place. The only change I wish they had made is allowing the aspiration to be completed by either siding with the mother or defeating her.
    I'm looking forward to actually defeating the mother this time around.
    I hope we get more gamepacks of this nature. It's a definite favorite for me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 126 Member
    I love strangerville, I didn't new there was a Strangerville aspiration so the quest was long and twisted, it was a strangerville flavored gameplay. I enjoyed it a lot. And the fruit is the best thing when you need to left the other sims on the lot alone for more than 4 hours.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I loved that the mystery itself was pretty short. I'm more of a sandbox player, but it was really cool doing something different, so for me the length was perfect. I've been playing Strangerville as a sandbox world ever since. This world is where my main family lives, with all of their relatives living in different houses in town. It's really fun that I still get gifts in the mail everyday for saving the town. I actually also love that the "gifts" are sometimes moldy cupcakes, lol.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

Agreed if I had to do the story it should have been longer and more interesting. I found it very boring and one note. Most RPGs sell for about sixty dollars with a lot of content so I expected at least a third of the content that was put in a Dragon Age or Mass effect. It wasn't even close.

I also wish the there was a way to bypass the story all together. If I start a new save, I have to do this story every single time. Lastly, I wish my story worked properly and the world went back to normal. There is nothing worse they doing something you didn't want to do in the first place and having to do it again because the game is borked with no guarantee your issue will be fixed.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I mean...game packs are less expensive than expansion packs, and it is the most recent game pack, and maybe people feel like it's closer to an expansion pack since it comes with it's own world. So, it's kind of like getting an expansion pack 'light' but at game pack prices.

It's sorta hard to evaluate the packs against each other purely on number of sales when they're priced differently.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Get Together's club system is incredibly convenient for gathering sims. Windenberg is also huge and a nice-looking neighborhood. Plus the BB stuff is very solid. Easily the best pack of the three. But IIRC it's still more than 20 bucks even with the sale.

Jungle Adventure is also a linear "story," but gives you more to do. Archaeology is extremely profitable, and Selvadorada has a lot of culture for you to explore. But outside of Archaeology, exploring the jungle and getting drunk at the bar, there's nothing to do in Selvadorada. It's a boring vacation destination.

StrangerVille's story is weak, but the neighborhood is great. Very cozy. The Military career a rabbit hole, but you get medals of honor as you advance, which is nice. If you like Western/rural/simple stuff, this pack is great for that. And if you want to play as a conspiracy theorist, you a lot of good CAS and BB items, the Paranoid trait, and the ability to spy on people.

It all depends on what you want. But I'd personally go for Jungle Adventure over StrangerVille.
    The problem to me with Strangerville is the fact that you can't turn off the plum story without the help of a mod. I'd love to buy it for the world and the BB items but... I just can't get past the story. I'm not paying to play Little Shop of Horrors: The Video Game.
    I mean, you can easily ignore the story. All it does is give you weird-looking plants and create sims that walk weird sometimes. The story takes like an hour to finish if you're rushing it, and once you beat it, you can turn off all the weirdness completely.

I actually have the opposite problem with SV: there's not enough story. There's no actual plot, no characters, no explanation for anything related to the final boss, very little lore, not much you can actually do, and no multiple endings. The "story" is just a bunch of scavenger hunts where you grab items off the floor of the lab, which will then unlock more scavenger hunts where you grab items off the floor of the lab, and then there's a poorly-done boss battle at the end.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017