Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need inspiration

Hi guys.

I play the same story over and over again, and it gets so boring. Baby is born, do good in school, grow up, get a job, fall in love, get married, have children and thats it. I have multiple related families, and play them all, but aaaaa its all just the same. Made a mermaid family, only difference is they swim and make noices. Made a vampire family, maxed their levels and now they live as normal sims. The only exitement I have in the game is what traits the kids randomly will get, and how they will look. Tried to start a mini-challenge where I complete all the collections, but aaaa, its impossible.

I want to play, I'm just not feeling it. What can I do?

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    If you're up for starting a challenge, there's a whole heap of them listed on the Challenges board (specifically this thread). I've played a Rags to Riches challenge and still have that save to come back to. The collection ones do get that little bit grindy and boring after a while.

But if you're really not feeling it, maybe take a small break and focus on either building for a while or a game that you're more in the mood for. Sometimes it's just not Sims time.

Hope you do find something that'll put a little excitement into the game for you.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2019
    I play rotationaly. That way I am never bored because there are always different group of age in different households. I am also not afraid of adding a little drama in my gameplay. I am not afraid of divorce and then different type of custody ;) , I am not afraid of death (even a "forced" one).

Yes!! I love rags to riches.

You can also try the Breed the ugly out challenge.
    Or Not so Berry.
    Or maybe Build Newcrest

You don't have to play strictly by the rules. You can always make your own! :) It is you game anyway.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Or maybe you can try the 100 baby challenge but with a man. Your sim can have fun and woohoo with female sims. He doesn't need to take care of the little ones :D>:)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    As has been mentioned already, the breed out the ugly challenge is fun. I actually completed that one. It gives you something to aim for when playing generationally.

The 100 baby challenge is also fun but not for the faint of heart!

You can also try mixing up your game style without playing challenges. For example, have your kids skip school and do fun stuff instead of getting good grades (and see what happens if they get the irresponsibility trait - if you have Parenthood), destroy those happy marriages with secret affairs or divorces. Basically, think of all the things you always do and do the opposite!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited August 2019
    I like to play characters who are very different from my usual way of playing and then play the way I think they would. For example, I usually focus a lot on career success. But now I'm playing Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World. They don't have jobs at all. They make money by finding seashells and uploading videos. They are very unfocused and just have fun a lot and buy stupid things like bubble blowers when their bills are due. They've been surprisingly successful this way! :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • stephanie132392stephanie132392 Posts: 91 Member
    I understand you! I'm also the happy family type of player. Recently I created a household that is inspired by the characters of How I met your mother and it's like a fresh breeze of air for me! They go out all the time, meet news sims (especially Ted and Barney), celebrate holidays, etc. I try to focus on the side of story telling instead of completing aspirations.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    funny-gifs20.gif

• LilacxLilacx Posts: 76 Member
    I would try a fun challenge or change up their jobs. What for me helps as well is to force myself to not give them perfect lives. They can divorce, cheat, break up. Kids run away. Teens get pregnant. A little drama makes it so much more fun.
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    A lot of people get very into creating backstories for premades thrn aging that premade down, creating (or aging down ) friends and family then playing it out in game.

I did it with Johnny Zest and played him in the homeless teen mode until he earned and bought his trailer. Then i played him through get famous up to a 5 star celeb.

Other people have played Caleb and Lilith before they became vampires and the story of their turning. Or aged down Vlad.

The pack sims both old and new have interesting backstories to expand upon.

I can also recommend challenges especially those that have specific goals for each generation and force you to try new aspects of the game you may have ignored e.g. try out the criminal career or be a style influencer. Not so berry and the drifter challenge both do this with new goals for each generation. The drifter challenge has build goals as well if live mode is not for you at present.

I also played a family on short lifespan and the rush to achieve things left no time for boredom (but I get too attached and losing them too quickly meant I couldn't do this for an extended time).

Finally I watch a lot of YouTubers to get inspired. Laurenzside and call me kevin are definetely simmers who push the boundaries of what you can do with sims and don't play normal games. Englishsimmer has good plot driven let's plays for inspiration. And kevin sauce has a great series.

Good luck.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited August 2019
    Or maybe you can try the 100 baby challenge but with a man. Your sim can have fun and woohoo with female sims. He doesn't need to take care of the little ones :D>:)

As someone who's done this, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who gets bored easily. It is a LOT of the same over and over again. Unless you somehow add more story to it, or set small goals you need to reach in between, your sim will be romancing 24/7.
    The outcome, however, is massive fun, I have the most interesting (and huge) family tree. I actually started playing a rotation with some of the kids as young adults.
    Here's the link to my thread about it: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/955649/don-lotharios-100-babies
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I think if you have a backstory for your sims, or give them more of a personality, then you can make decisions about their actions based on what they would logically do, like someone else on here suggested. I like to cheat reward traits and skills when I make a sim, just to give them more of a personality to start off with. It also helps to get trait and aspiration cc so you have more variety in your sims.

Here are some backstories for my current sims. Feel free to use them for your own gameplay.

--Guy who was born poor but now has money and owns multiple businesses. He likes to drink, fight, gamble, party, and womanize. He doesn't plan on getting married until late in life, if at all. And he doesn't plan on being faithful.

--Mother of teen and young adult children who wants to interfere in their love life and find her children romantic matches. Her goal is to marry them all off and have big weddings that will make her friends jealous.

--Musical prodigy who has relegated music to the sidelines as a hobby in favor of being practical and following in the footsteps of his father's business.

--Employee who's in love with the boss' daughter and secretly reads her journal. He has a girlfriend, but he never lets her get that close because of his obsessive crush on the other woman.

--Quiet and kind artist who likes to take walks and paint nature. He has chronic pain but tries to mask it. He just wants to settle down and lead a quiet life.

--Girl whose family expects her to pursue ladylike hobbies, get married, and have kids. But she's a tomboy who likes to collect rocks and craves adventure.

--Girl who went from riches to rags and is unsatisfied with her job. She's looking for a rich husband so she can regain her wealthy status.

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Maybe try a challenge? Not So Berry would be a good one because it gives you specific things you have to do each generation and it can help explore parts of the game that you haven't yet. 100 Baby is good too because it's a little different from your typical happy family play but it can also get a little boring after awhile.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    The magical orphanage challenge is great (check out Deligracy's video), I had so much fun with that. You'll add a ghost, vampire, alien, now a mermaid if you like, and other kids with special traits (never weary, never hungry, etc) and give them aspirations they must complete and ideally they must get adopted. You can download her lot too, it's gorgeous. I even played with her sims, and I usually never do that.

Or try to think of something else, something for sims to be and accomplish. If you have Strangerville, you can play a military base. You can play a vampire school as a variation on the orphanage challenge, where you'll have a bunch of teen vampires who must become masters over a set period of time. You can play an actor school where you'll get a bunch of YA together in a house and all enrolled as actors who train and live together and have luxurious parties. You can play families with the goal of always disciplining and teaching your kids. You can play a tribe with very specific rules for the men and women and how the tribe must grow over time. Or a bunch of medical residents, or crazy scientists trying to set off an alien invasion (or alternatively, trying to experiment on aliens).

I think what you need to do is look at other people's stories, watch YouTubers, let yourself be inspired and get out of your comfort zone! I was always a family player too, but there's only so many times you can play your standard little family until it gets boring. That is why I am so in love with packs like Strangerville and Get Famous, it really added so many fun ways to create different kinds of sims. I also think playing large groups of sims helps, especially if they have a bunch of fixed rules they need to accomplish. Even if, like me, you'll end up breaking most of these rules, it can really get you into the story, and the rest usually just follows from that. :)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    idk i recently started save involving only premades, maxis households and one self made sim

planning to rope every household in my game somehow and not create sims separately

its proving to be very fun way to play

also if it seems like you play families too much id just first place rule to not cause any babies in the save if you cause them someone must die >:) either parent or the kid

or then you could put ban on romance in general and say you are going to play single sim from birth to death without making them romantically involved in any way

create sims with traits you never use, make type of houses you never make , do aspirations and achievements and skills you never completed....
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SkosalgSkosalg Posts: 165 Member
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to try a challenge. The Not so berry challenge, seems very fun, so I'm starting with that one.

I'm also going to try to play a sim with a romance ban. When I first read it, I was like 🐸🐸🐸🐸, how will that work? But then I understood that its just what I need. So thank you :D
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    If you want something completely different, here is something I've done a few times before. It's kind of a non-challenge (because I don't care for all the rules). Play a single sim who is career focused, doesn't have time for romance and earns enough simoleons to be comfortable. One day your sim meets a homeless townie, befriends them and has them move in. The new roomie learns some skills, gets a job and generally has the benefit of a nice house. After a while the roomie moves out and becomes a friend out in the world. After a while your sim gets lonely and befriends another homeless townie, and the whole thing starts over. Maybe your sim finds a mate, maybe not. Maybe the couple can't have children and continues to take in homeless sims and eventually the whole town benefits from the generosity of this one household.

I started a version of this in Sims2 as a way to send teens to Uni and continued with it in Sims3. It works with aimless young adults in Sims4, too. Anyway, it's a different style that isn't focused on romance and babies.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    One thing you can do is set your sim up to struggle to meet their life goals. For instance make a sim whose aspiration is to become a serial romancer, but give them the jealous and non-flirty traits. Or the soulmates aspiration but make give them the noncommittal, and romance traits. A family aspiration with a sim that hates children and so on. I like doing this often.

Now that we have the off the grid lot traits a rags to riches challenge would be really fun. I started a save like that but haven’t delved into playing it yet. You could either set them up for success with outdoor living traits and aspirations or again set for a struggle by having a squeamish sim living outside. Maybe create a storyline where a rich sim loses everything and is forced to live on a shipwrecked island. Or to really challenge them put them on a lot where it gets cold and snows. (If you have seasons) Later on they could “accidentally” mate with a mermaid and now they have a baby on a deserted island. Yikes, lol.
  • AntoniaBaybeeAntoniaBaybee Posts: 160 Member
    I find I always need inspiration and I always use mods so this time around, I've removed all mods and have two Conservationist sims in Sulani hoping to restore the Island back to how it was. I am also going to use both these sims to reach the top of every career (One for one branch, the other for the 2nd branch). I also want them to complete all the collections - Seashells have been completed - and complete all "challenges" in the game like Strangerville and Explore the jungle and only when the collections are complete, I will turn their aging on, keep one of each collectible item in the basement of their house and build them a personalised home in which each room is decorated using solely a different pack (if no content from that pack I'll use base game content). I find this is going to be a very hard challenge but so far I'm enjoying the game without the mods and loving the fact that I have complete control over everything my sims are doing again!
    Antonia Louise <3
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    In one of my saves I only answer to my Sims whims. There is no story. The game tells you what to do. Move a sim onto an empty lot. Cheat money to zero. Start collecting and be homeless for a while. Sim gets a whim, lock it and complete it. He gardens, paints and writes for money completing aspirations along the way. Main goal is to complete the money aspirations. I play with aging off but I wonder if it could be done on a long life span starting with young adult.

Thinking about trying the one room challenge ... maybe soon.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Lets face it: Happy families are boring.
    Throw in some drama, create your own soap opera. Create 3 or 4 families, have cheating spouses, babies who belong to someone else, rivalries between families, feuds, murder? politics, plots, mayhem!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    don't do normal and happy, picture perfect families, make some evil ones, mean ones, socially awkward, mad scientists and maniac vampires, have misbehaving kids, skip school, be a bad parent, build weird things and create weird sims....
    like...do the opposite of what you have done the whole time ;)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat