Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't TS4 inclusive of family players?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Ugh I’m afraid he means either as free updates or just add a few interactions when they need it. I wanted a Generations EP.

Also we need a Teen SP, toddlers have one, kids have one, YA and adults have a lot of them and only teens and elders don’t have one.
    Hestia wrote: »

I hope when he means “bits and pieces”, patch in the life stages slowly but surely for the least amount of bugs and a stuff pack for teens. I’ll give them credit for a teen stuff pack since TS2 did it in the past.

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Ugh I’m afraid he means either as free updates or just add a few interactions when they need it. I wanted a Generations EP.

Also we need a Teen SP, toddlers have one, kids have one, YA and adults have a lot of them and only teens and elders don’t have one.
    his viwe
    Hestia wrote: »

I hope when he means “bits and pieces”, patch in the life stages slowly but surely for the least amount of bugs and a stuff pack for teens. I’ll give them credit for a teen stuff pack since TS2 did it in the past.
    we may still get a Generations pack
    after all grant doesn't work on sims 4 anymore and the team might have other ideas as to what they want to do moving forward @Dianesims
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sindocat wrote: »
    This to me is an oxymorom. Its not gay couples that can have bio kids.

Gay trans men, who still have uteruses, can and do have bio offspring with gay cis husbands. This is what the custom gender settings - which are there in the base game, without mods, are meant to emulate. With lesbian couples, you can suppose that a trans woman pre-surgery is also potentially fertile. Surgery is risky and, most of all, expensive. Some never pursue it, as the risks are too great with other health issues they have. Others can transition over years, start with hormones and/or top surgery, and form relationships, and start families, long before completing the medical procedures.

I can assure you this does indeed happen. It's controversial in several directions, so I am not going to debate it here. But it is the RL situation that the game is set up to simulate.

Dude I literally said trans sims can have kids.
    anyway back on topic #freethebabies
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

And more clothes! Some hair wouldn’t hurt too :smiley:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I wonder if the babies will get any stuff seeing we only ever got baby stuff for them through Sims 2 and Sims 3 stores and of course what little was in base games.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes free the babies and, for goodness sake, do something nice for the elders. I would love the option of them living in a retirement community. If the element of roommates is reintroduced I can see how this function would work. Also having an age filter system like the one the club system has would work with it. You are then able to filter the location to elders so if new residents are added it will only add elders.

*Edit because of spelling and grammar*
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".

And more clothes! Some hair wouldn’t hurt too :smiley:

agreed
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I wonder if the babies will get any stuff seeing we only ever got baby stuff for them through Sims 2 and Sims 3 stores and of course what little was in base games.

stuff pack anyone ? I'd buy it
    Yes free the babies and for goodness sake do something nice for the elders. I would love the option of them living in a retirement community. If the element of roommates is reintroduced I can see how this function would work. Also having an age filter system like the one the club system. You're then able to filter the location to elders so if new residents are added it will only add elders.

I need my rocking chairs for both elders and babies and rocking chair loving sims everywhere
    edited August 2019

If and only if they release the babies from the bassinet they shouldn't create anything for them if they're going to keep them immobilized. And as far as a stuff pack I don't know but I'm willing to compromise. Maybe a small patch to free the babies with a few starter items for the baby, like they did for toddlers, and then a stuff pack if someone wants to expand on baby items.

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member

Looking forward not back...
    We'll get babies freed by a patch for the base game maybe, (if ever) and then the stuff packs could add useful objects for them little by little. That seems to be the way the game is progressing. There aren't any stuff packs in the latest sale so EA must be getting good sales from them. I've given up speculating on what's next. Maybe we'll get them with the "three wishes" from witches at the cradle with Realm of Magic. >:)

It could be that EA are wanting Duke to bring a different view on how the game proceeds. He's keeping quiet on Twitter except for retweets and announcements.

If and only if they release the babies from the bassinet they shouldn't create anything for them if they're going to keep them immobilized. And as far as a stuff pack I don't know but I'm willing to compromise. Maybe a small patch to free the babies with a few starter items for the baby, like they did for toddlers, and then a stuff pack if someone wants to expand on baby items.

I just wonder if that can be done - seeing babies never get a stuff pack and they are an object not a life state like toddlers are.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

I just wonder if that can be done - seeing babies never get a stuff pack and they are an object not a life state like toddlers are.

Of course it can. They said the holdup was programming sims to not stick them in their pocket like a book or a plate of food. There’s nothing technological preventing them from making babies a full fledge life state it comes down to wanting to put the work in or not.
    edited August 2019
    Toddlers was an add in - where as babies would be an overwrite and a lot of changes to the base game. That was what bothers me as it was not a rewrite for toddlers. Babies would need reworking from conception as a life state - that takes a lot more time and lots of changes.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Toddlers was an add in - where as babies would be an overwrite and a lot of changes to the base game. That was what bothers me as it was not a rewrite for toddlers. Babies would need reworking from conception as a life state - that takes a lot more time and lots of changes.

And so did toddlers. It's same thing as toddlers, I don't see the problem here. The only thing that involves baby gameplay that would need a tweak is the GTW hospital and giving birth. Nothing more.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Why exactly would the existing baby assets not work? They have a model, they have animations already for that model, they have some basic needs already assigned to it. They actually have a decent amount of backend programming already. I do not believe for one second they would have to start over from scratch; that would be inefficient and unnecessary when they can build off what they have already. Toddlers were an add on, of course, because there was nothing there in the game to expand upon. Babies? They exist, and it’s not reinventing the wheel to expand on that. It’s literally work they are perfectly capable of doing and have already done - look at toddlers, puppies, kittens. They do not holster those Sims because they programmed them to not do that, and they can also carry them around indefinitely (although that’s tricky since Sims only like to carry cups long term).

It would require work to get it functioning, but they’ve already gotten the hard part done. The hard part being the programming for not pocketing other Sim characters. At this point it’s a matter of updating the babies which boils down to work they either do or do not want to do. Nothing prohibiting it and nothing requires them to start over from scratch.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Count me in for a baby update. That's one of the things I want the most right now. One of my biggest issues with the game right now is that there is no stage where the child is crawling. There's no teaching your child to stand up and walk. No going from crying to mumbling and babbling. The early forms of development aren't there and that makes me sad.

As for adding them in, I don't think it would be hard. They have an existing baby model. They can literally re-use that model and simply refine it so that it can have better details, some more animations (for crawling, taking early footsteps, playing with a few toys), and (hopefully) being customized. The 'object babies' can remain that way for those who want easy to manage babies, and the 'freed babies' could allow for more interactions with them to feel like part of the family and give those of use who want a less independent lifestage that opportunity.

As I mentioned before with toddlers being able to fully max 4/5 skills on their own with a tablet, I don't like that there isn't a non-object life stage fully dependent on the parents. This is another reason why I find family play lacking; it's too easy. The object babies require 1 or 2 interactions every few hours and then they don't need anything and they may as well not be in the house. Then once they become toddlers they're basically fully independent and only need adults for potty training and providing food. They can get the food by themselves and put themselves to bed whenever. It's convenient yes, but kind of...I don't know, ridiculously easy. The vibe I get from this game is 'parenting is easy' and I'd like to see a more challenging and involved experience.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I really think the ship has sailed for a baby update, sadly.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Unfortunately they did Parenthood, so for them they've already completed every family aspect. 🙄
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think the problem with changing babies to a life state is that currently, they're technically an interactive item. I agree with @Writin_Reg, it's absolutely a different process than adding in toddlers.

Toddlers were done from scratch and the rewrite for the existing game was: make sure babies age to toddlers (and not children). All other steps were adding code that wasn't there before. With babies, they need to make sure that the existing ones in-game would acquire functionality they currently don't have (unless they'd just remove all existing "baby items" & have everyone start from scratch for the ones currently in saves).

And since it's rewriting code from a technically inanimate object that's (unfortunately) no more complicated than a broken sink with interactions to fix it into a whole life form with autonomy, it's most definitely not "easy". It's not impossible, of course, but it's definitely not simple.
    As for the existing baby assets not working: I'm pretty sure if they kept babies looking the way they do now, there'd be riots. So that's a layer of design on top of functionality.

That all said, I really hope they do have something in the works.

Great point. Yea you're right. Since they set babies up as objects in the first place it most likely won't happen, but I guess one could still speculate. No harm in it.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I'd be okay with babies being "transferable" objects. So the baby is in the nursery and you have a second bassinet in the study or the kitchen (or something else, like a bouncy chair or a playpen) and you can click on that to "move" the baby to the other room. I mean, carrying the baby would be cute, but my biggest frustration with them (other than they apparently have only one vocal track, because even when cuddling or bouncing the baby when that's what they want, they still sound like they're crying to me.) is having to go all the way back to the nursery to take care of them.

Then again, my own lack of adoration for the baby phase IRL may be coloring my judgement. I prefer them mobile and communicating. (Doesn't have to be talking.)
    I think the problem with changing babies to a life state is that currently, they're technically an interactive item. I agree with @Writin_Reg, it's absolutely a different process than adding in toddlers.

Toddlers were done from scratch and the rewrite for the existing game was: make sure babies age to toddlers (and not children). All other steps were adding code that wasn't there before. With babies, they need to make sure that the existing ones in-game would acquire functionality they currently don't have (unless they'd just remove all existing "baby items" & have everyone start from scratch for the ones currently in saves).

And since it's rewriting code from a technically inanimate object that's (unfortunately) no more complicated than a broken sink with interactions to fix it into a whole life form with autonomy, it's most definitely not "easy". It's not impossible, of course, but it's definitely not simple.
    As for the existing baby assets not working: I'm pretty sure if they kept babies looking the way they do now, there'd be riots. So that's a layer of design on top of functionality.

That all said, I really hope they do have something in the works.

I’m sorry but that is not true. Babies get a lot of flack for being tied to an object, but the babies themselves contain Sim data. They are a Sim complete with a genetic profile, needs, animations, interactions, etc. To say they are like a broken sink is incredibly far off.

Sims can already remove them and interact with them outside of the bassinet. The issue is that there is no programming for Sims to do anything other than place them back into the bassinet. Expanding upon that is totally doable, it just requires a lot of animation work.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    As far as babies go, I'm sure that it's entirely possible to turn them into a proper life state rather than an object, but I think that five years down the line the likelihood of it happening is pretty slim. It feels as though they'd rather concentrate on new content rather than fleshing out what we already have imo. It would be fantastic to have proper babies, but I don't have much hope.