Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living apartment creation?

I've been busy with real life stuff & haven't had much time for playing so I only recently discovered that City Living had apartments (I think I got it with a bundle or something during a sale & hadn't had a chance to play much bc downloading the patch took awhile due to my bandwidth restrictions). Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if I can just build my own custom apartment complexes from scratch & use cheats codes or hidden objects to designate the spaces. Is this possible?
I've seen videos of people creating apartment complexes but they don't function as apartments & I really want to build my own.
Anyone know? Are there any mods to help with this?
I'm still behind & don't have the last few expansions yet (real life expenses > games).

As an aside, are glass roofs (like for greenhouses) available if I don't have Seasons & can I grow plants in a basement if I have some sort of light & water for them?

Comments

• Options
    Abc12Abc12 Posts: 11 New Member
    I have had the same problem. I have found that there is one apartment that is customisable, just like a normal lot, however it is more of a lot on top of a building rather than an apartment. You can also use the bb.moveobjects cheat to place walls in front of windows if that’s what you want.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Unfortunately no. You can remodel the inside of any apartment unit but you can’t change any outer wall (including windows, doors, elevators, decorative empty voids, etc), or add/remove them in the city world or any other world.

The apartments are all separate lots surrounded by a 3D building shell. They don’t use designators like Sims 3 ones did. The rooftop lots allow you to build on the entire lot with only a few build restrictions.

Yes to glass roofs. All of the glass roof designs are base game. Love those. Plants will grow indoors if you plant them in a planter. They don’t need light, and if you have seasons planting them indoors (or in a greenhouse) will allow them to become harvestable year round instead of seasonal.
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thank you for the replies. I hope that in the future they allow for custom built apartments. I'll have to see what I can do with apartment shells.
    If I use an apartment shell can I designate the different rooms/apartments?
    Can I dig a basement under a shell & make it a separate apartment?
    My idea was to make a basement apartment with outside stairs next to the shell & then have some of the parts that jut out from under the shell have glass ceilings/roofs (if that is even possible) & have plants growing.
    Part of my inspiration was from something on the Legion of SuperHeroes ship on the Supergirl series. They had what looked sort of like a terrarium/aquarium but instead of creatures or water/fish they had plants growing.
    I remember being able to mod apartments for Sims3.
    If I can't get a basement apartment to work, I suppose a penthouse would work.

I'm waiting for the price to go down on Seasons before I buy it.
  • Options
    GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I would love custom build apartments that functions as apartments.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Gorgeoious wrote: »

We had that back in Sims2. I had fun creating an apartment building from what had been an ancient castle. (At least that was my own backstory behind the build.) So many things were done 'right' in that iteration, it's a pity more wasn't drawn from it. I would love to have the flexibility, for instance, as a restaurant owner to either cook, serve, or manage.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Gorgeoious wrote: »

Absolutely! The ability to build and play in apartments like what was possible in Sims 2 has been one of my biggest requests and they failed so terribly with the apartments in City Living.
    Suceress wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. I hope that in the future they allow for custom built apartments. I'll have to see what I can do with apartment shells.
    If I use an apartment shell can I designate the different rooms/apartments?
    Can I dig a basement under a shell & make it a separate apartment?
    My idea was to make a basement apartment with outside stairs next to the shell & then have some of the parts that jut out from under the shell have glass ceilings/roofs (if that is even possible) & have plants growing.
    Part of my inspiration was from something on the Legion of SuperHeroes ship on the Supergirl series. They had what looked sort of like a terrarium/aquarium but instead of creatures or water/fish they had plants growing.
    I remember being able to mod apartments for Sims3.
    If I can't get a basement apartment to work, I suppose a penthouse would work.

I'm waiting for the price to go down on Seasons before I buy it.

Unfortunately the shells aren’t like Sims 3 either. I should have clarified. They are part of the world terrain, like the grass or pavement areas but it’s shaped like a building. There’s no way currently to use the apartment assets for anything.

You can build out different “apartments” using door locks but they won’t function like apartments. You mentioned this in your original post, but that’s (sadly) the most we can do in this game.
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    Thanks, Drake. I'll have to see if there are any threads in the Ideas section about custom apartments. If there are any there are any that aren't too old I'll add my support. If not, I can start a new thread.