Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nvidia control panel closes soon after opening it?

SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
Hi All,

After this new windows 10 update (which was forced on me 2 days ago-) I can no longer keep my Nvidia control panel/settings open long enough to look at it as it closes down a few seconds after i have opened it..wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how to fix it?

Edit my drivers are up to date I have restarted the Nvidia container in windows services and even gone into Nvidia program files and while I can still launch the application it still shuts down seconds after it opens. I am hoping someone can think of something as I cannot think of anything else to try.
Post edited by SPARKY1922 on

Comments

• cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    This scares me as I'm pretty sure my computer is set to update next time I turn it on :grimace:

It must be frustrating with the program closing constantly. This is the best solution I found but I guess you have already tried it since you mentioned going into windows services.
    Just go to search, type msconfig and open that. Go to the services tab. Look for anything related to Nvidia and make sure those are checked. If you are getting crashes when trying to open the Nvidia Control Panel its likely there are some that are not checked and there isn't even a service running to allow you to open it, which is causing the crash. Specifically look for Nvidia Geforce Experience Service and Nvidia Display Driver Service. Solved.
    Have you tried running the program as Administrator?
    What about running it in Compatibility Mode?

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you but I'm really not sure. I assume you have restarted your computer as well and that didn't help? Fingers crossed there's an easy solution for this :smile:
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    Just wait for an update. I had the same issue with Sims3, which also would close immediately after starting it. That was fixed with another automatic Windows update that hit a few hours later. From past larger updates, those fixes can take up to 7 days to arrive.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @coco

Thanks I have tried running the program as administrator but am not sure how to run in compatibility mode if you could explain that one to me please. I think it's terrible that everytime we get updates we are all scared to death about what may happen afterwards and it makes me long for the days when a service was based around customer needs and not the other way around..

Hi @Turjan

I take so little notice of updates or the dates they are until they get forced on me lol I had no idea that it could be fixed in another update and after what you said about 3 crashing I am glad I have the disc version of the game on a hard drive that never touches the internet lol
    edited August 2019
    @SPARKY1922 I was hoping someone more knowledgable than me would offer up a better solution because I don't know if this will help (or if it will just cause more problems) :grimace: I found out the executable file for the control panel should be located here: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client nvcplui.exe. Right click and go into Properties and you can either Troubleshoot Compatibility or select a mode manually. Do you get any error messages or any type of log that specifies the problem?

Edit: Other solutions I have read say to uninstall your drivers. In Device Manager does it say that your graphics card is working normally?
    edited August 2019
    Hi @coco

no worries I played around for hours with this yesterday and of course I knew what troubleshoot compatibility meant but when i answered you for the life of me I could not remember what it was lol so apologies for that :)

This file path you outlined C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client nvcplui.exe is the same for me but no exe on the end?

N06Dy6g.jpg

now something i really don't understand is when i go to troubleshoot its telling me it's for windows 8 (which I have never owned on this computer?) and I cannot see a way to be able to choose windows 10? I am really baffled now..

cRuZSCH.jpg

@igazor is it possible you could help me with this please? as I have no idea how to fix this properly and I am now wondering if my S3 graphics on my digital game are freaky because of something like this not being compatible or am I clutching at straws again?
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
    @SPARKY1922 Most if not all applications are .exe (executable files) that I know of. You can check the box that enables file name extensions in the View tab of File Explorer but the program works the same way whether you can see the .exe bit or not.

Compatibility is made to run programs on older Windows so that's why you won't see 10 on there. To be honest I'm not sure it will make much of a difference, because whatever is causing the program to crash might be from an external source. Just a thought but could it have anything to do with your virus protection?

I'm afraid that I'm just leading you down a rabbit hole with no answers so I hope igazor or someone else can offer a better suggestion. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :disappointed:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm afraid that igazor has never had an Nvidia card, his are AMD and being that he uses Macs on his own time their drivers are pretty tightly controlled by Apple. From what I've read, the typical solutions when this happens besides the Nvidia related service restarts are to investigate possible anti-virus/security software interference and possibly perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of the card's divers.

But if the already tried solutions aren't leading anywhere and it's not the AV thing, I would suggest turning to Nvidia for support. If a recent Win Update broke the current version driver to the extent where the control panel cannot even load, it's quite likely it did that for other users of that card and they may have a fix available or at least can report if they are working on one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Hi @coco

Thank you for all your help :)

@igazor

I know you are using an AMD card but i do often forget you are on a Mac-) It's early for me and I can see where my day is headed already lol Oh joy :)