Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morgan, shipwrecked in paradise

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    The plan sounded good... but even the best laid plans often go awry.

It started well. everyone was in a good mood (except for Kalamainu'u, but that was only to be expected).

8mCRvb8.png

Morgan earned his first points quickly and easily. It all started going wrong when his helpful neighbours Emiri and Makani each took an unfinished garden salad and finished it. They were just being nice... but Morgan needed to finish those himself in order to earn the points!

eLIiXFM.png

Kalamainu'u took a nap in Morgan's bed. She sank into the bed as if it was the sea.

MKnw9tD.png

Everyone was crowding around the kitchen counters, so Morgan was unable to prepare more meals. (At least Kalamainu'u was being unexpectedly nice and decided to help with the cleaning!)

x4ApIat.png

Some of the guests were dancing around the fire, but they didn't count as dancing sims for the purpose of the point counting.

Jswtg3X.png

As the clock was ticking, I realised gold was out of question. Morgan earned silver again.

This irritated only me, not Morgan. He was blissfully dazed from the kava.

ccRogh0.png

As the guests were leaving, he tried to firedance and set his leg on fire.

iaOosPn.png

Nalani was the last to leave. She stayed while Morgan was putting away the leftovers.

QV7NXde.png

Before leaving, she squeaked like a dolphin again, and then blew him a kiss.

8TIRaAL.png
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2019
    :lol: Love how you rolled with the punches (the punch? :tongue: ) and made even the visual-bug (sinking into bed) work for your story! I'm sorry the guests interfered with your goals. They do do that sometimes, don't they? In real life as well! :lol:

Still remember waking up late at night or early in the morning (eta: when I was a kid, I meant to say) to find inebriated guests from my parents' house-warming party touring my room! :flushed: They turned on my light and stood around talking loudly, without any notion that what they were doing was...worthy of a TS4 bug-report! :lol: (It was a BYOB party; my folks didn't drink & didn't anticipate the unscheduled tour.) Ah, well. Neighbors. One of the moms had been there for me when we lived across the street from them, & Mom was out & I thought the pressure cooker was going to explode (it was fine). Sulani neighbors are like that, too, aren't they? Sometimes heaven-sent, sometimes off-the-wall!
  • Options
    @Tiarella , your comment sent me on an interesting train of thought about what it would be like to file bug-reports for real life. I think my town is spawning too much traffic while I'm on my way to work, for example. :smiley: Drunken guests touring a child's room late at night is definitely an unacceptable bug!
  • Options
    After the party, Morgan wakes up late, with several needs very low. He needs to take care of his open-air kitchen too - there is spoiled kava on the counters.

AfvbjeJ.png

Now to work! He has around 7000, and with a little bit of luck he might reach his 10,000 goal today.
    His garden needs care again, but it also gives him about a hundred simoleons worth of fruit and vegetables.

iEmcCT5.png

But in diving for treasure, luck is not on his side at all. The first dive gives him nothing, the second a small treasure worth 130.

sBHlrO8.png

However, when he swims back he finds his fishing traps full. After emptying them and selling everything he doesn't need, he has 8,685. We're getting somewhere now! :)

MFB8JAy.png

Then he goes to Ohan'ali Town to pick up ALL THE SHELLS.

6LymLHh.png

wWngqaI.png

He ends the day by fishing, and catches his first big fish, a sturgeon worth over 100 simoleons.

T5G0X2V.png

BP8vVsw.png

Almost there! After selling the shells and the fish he has 9,835.

He returns to his little off-the-grid island to sleep. Will this be his last night under the open sky?

gO6970Z.png

(Endnote: although Morgan is allowed to own a house when he earns 10,000, I would like him to earn a few thousand more and buy a finished little house in Lani St. Taz rather than build something on his current off-the-grid lot. Living off the grid is fun as an obstacle to overcome, but not as a way to spend a sim's whole life!)
  • Options
    LilyParkerLilyParker Posts: 1,144 Member
    Hi @PalmArrow,

I've been reading along on Morgan's adventures since the beginning and have really enjoyed it. Sorry I haven't commented till now. I've been a lazy lurker. ;)

I, too, would wait until Morgan can afford to live elsewhere. Being off the grid is no fun after a while. He can't even play the sims!
    Currently blogging about The Island Challenge on Lily Parker's Sims Challenges (WordPress).
    Abandoned Kids Challenge
    and Toddler Mania Challenge stories are complete.
  • Options
    WinterKhirinWinterKhirin Posts: 248 Member
    What I did when I got to that point was I got rid of the lot trait. I actually really liked that lot a lot and wanted to stay there, but yeah, the off the grid trait gets a little frustrating after you've reached the point of being able to furnish a house.
    Owlenmoon is the house which most values creativity and wisdom. They're intellectual and introspective, and can find poetry in situations that may appear irrelevant to others. They're also good at making things more complicated than what they're supposed to be.

• Options
    Thanks for the comments, @LilyParker and @WinterKhirin !

@WinterKhirin , thanks for the reminder that removing the trait from the existing lot is also an option! I think I will move Morgan to Lani St. Taz anyway, because I like the idea of a Sim that started out with nothing moving into the richest part of town. But after he moves out, I will remove the off-grid trait from the little island and make it into a community lot.
  • Options
    And now, Morgan's (hopefully) final day of living outdoors!

The bird of paradise plant Morgan grew from a flower he fished out of the sea is in bloom! The flowers are more valuable than the fruit and vegetables he has been growing, so today's harvest is worth a little bit more. After selling it he has 10,152 simoleons. He is over the finish line!

541ooB9.png

He keeps one of each harvestable, though, so that he can plant them outside his future home. And now, let's earn final two and a half thousand he needs to buy the home!

His shower chooses this moment to break. Repairing it takes some time, but at least he finally earns the handiness skill.

k0NtIJk.png

After that he goes diving, but the treasure and shells he finds are almost worthless. He only gets his funds up to 10,322.

UnMAXck.png

He meets Makoa Kealoha and swims up to him for a brief chat.

cpiCjJA.png

Then he swims across to the volcano island, to clear away some rubbish from the beach while he is waiting for his traps to be full.

Uo1lUNs.png

He spots Leila Illes poaching, and runs over to her to ask her to stop. Had she obeyed, he would have got paid 250 simoleons. But she refuses. Luck doesn't seem to be on his side today!

IhNdrvr.png
  • Options
    He tries fishing, and catches a sturgeon worth 149. The day is finally getting a little better!

227l5Ot.png

And finally, the fishing traps are full! The wait was worth it - he got two valuable hearts of Sulani and various fish and upgrade parts. He sells most of his haul, and then puts away the traps in his inventory.

opKJxU4.png

"Hello, is this the Sulani real Estate office? I'd like to buy a house."

CWbmILa.png

And here it is! A house of his very own, overlooking the Sand Simoleons beach!

8MS9uoE.png

It is sparsely decorated, but it has electricity, plumbing and WiFi! As for the decorations, Morgan will soon fill it with seashells anyway.

AfzHFym.png

Before going to sleep, Morgan plants the harvestables he had saved and places the fishing traps in the ocean. He will continue to sustain himself by gardening, fishing and collecting.

lNRrNlb.png

END NOTE: this was incredibly fun to play! Morgan would have reached his goal much quicker if I had just placed ten or more fishing traps in the water, but it felt more interesting if he did a little bit of everything every day, working on several skills and on his friendships with the islanders at the same time.

I will continue to play this save in a more relaxed way, and although I won't chronicle every day of Morgan's life anymore, I will occasionally post some screenshots and news about his life in this thread.

Many thanks to everyone who has been reading and commenting!
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @PalmArrow I'm really happy that Morgan made it! His new home is gorgeous! I'm dazzled.
  • Options
  • Options
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    @Tiarella , your comment sent me on an interesting train of thought about what it would be like to file bug-reports for real life. I think my town is spawning too much traffic while I'm on my way to work, for example. :smiley: Drunken guests touring a child's room late at night is definitely an unacceptable bug!

Now there's an entertaining idea! I suppose the closest we can come to a bug-report is calling our various representatives and demanding they fixit (which I do!). Too bad our reps generally keep the tally of these real-life 'bug-reports' secret. ...Petitions might also be considered similar to bug-reports, & they're easy to me-too!

Another amusing idea is to imagine our sims filing bug-reports for themselves. I'm quite certain that some of them would object to some of the things I make them do! :lol::naughty::innocent:

(sorry my response is so late--I've been away from the forum. Nice to come back to your story!)
  • Options
    Hurrah for Morgan! (and you, of course. :wink: ) I really enjoyed your story. How's life going for him now?
  • Options
    Thank you, @Tiarella ! I actually haven't played Morgan's save since this last update, although I'm definitely planning to return to playing him. The reason is that I've started another save in Sulani in which I'm rotationally playing the whole town, and rotational play is something I've never tried before, so it now has my whole attention while I'm trying to gat the hang of it!
  • Options
    Hope you have a blast! Rotational's the only way I play. I've tried to stick to one sim, or one household, but I always branch out. TS4's the first time* I've added premades to my rotation, though. Typically I ignore or delete them, as I prefer playing my own sims & scenarios. TS4's also the first time I've made HHs not to nurture them them through life, but to #tortureyoursims! Not that I can keep that up forever. Poor things! Eventually I take pity on them. Even evil, mean, insensitive, etc. sims can change their ways!

Have fun! :smiley:

*terrible grammar but I trust you understand what I mean!