Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDEA: Buyable books written by our Sims

Personally it's one of the things I love the most from TS3. I love to write and sell my books to buy them later. Since you can't buy your own books on TS4, What do you think about adding this option in future expansion packs or patches? We want to buy our own books Creators!

Comments

• Kaylen34Kaylen34 Posts: 78 Member
    Great idea. Definitely miss it in TS4.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited January 2015
    androide3 wrote: »
    Personally it's one of the things I love the most from TS3. I love to write and sell my books to buy them later. Since you can't buy your own books on TS4, What do you think about adding this option in future expansion packs or patches? We want to buy our own books Creators!

Yes please! Other sims should be able to buy them, and the authors should be able to request more copies for free.

Signed books should also have a higher value.

And I have this weird need to have my authors hold book signings at the library or something, and to be able to actually own a book shop where I can sell the books written by my sims.
  • androide3androide3 Posts: 7 New Member
    Cinderellimouse that will be awesome! Maybe for a future "Open for Business" expansion pack? Hope the Guru's to read this!
  • LysistrataLysistrata Posts: 323 Member
    Yes please! Other sims should be able to buy them, and the authors should be able to request more copies for free.

Signed books should also have a higher value.

And I have this weird need to have my authors hold book signings at the library or something, and to be able to actually own a book shop where I can sell the books written by my sims.

Yes, great ideas! One of my sims is a writer, and I feel like there's no payoff for all the books she's written. We need more to this career! Love the idea of book signings, meet and greets, editorial meetings, etc. Maybe best sellers could be optioned to film companies if the author chooses? Perhaps the author might get to adapt his/her book into a screenplay if the rights are sold? Just some thoughts off the top of my head; a lot could be done to expand on writers, as well as other professions. Not much to any of them, unfortunately. :/
    Love the idea of screenplays! I'd also love for them to write stage plays for performance like in Medieval.

I hope they continue to add additional features to all the base game skills.
  • wensimmiewensimmie Posts: 1,750 Member
    I really miss having books that our Sims write. I usually had the future generations read their ancestors' works. Made the game feel like it had a history and depth.

That's also why I always had photos on my walls of previous generations. Now they take selfies but you can't get the photos to place in an album or on the wall.
  • musicalgirl2010musicalgirl2010 Posts: 37 Member
    I would love this! Actually I love all those ideas!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    That would be nice, we could even buy them and give them as gifts to others. Maybe open up a small store and sell our own books, I would love that.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I had been hoping that this was how it worked when I first published a book with one of my Sims and found that it took away my author's copy. Unfortunately, it doesn't and I never saw that book again. :(

Now I have a mod that retains my author's copy of the book, so at least I can publish them and still have them in my Sim's personal bookcase. It would be really cool though, if they would be added to the list of buyable books. Here's hoping!
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • LysistrataLysistrata Posts: 323 Member
    Love the idea of screenplays! I'd also love for them to write stage plays for performance like in Medieval.

I hope they continue to add additional features to all the base game skills.

Plays would be great! I really hope as well that they continue to add additional features to all the existing skills.
    Evalen wrote: »
    That would be nice, we could even buy them and give them as gifts to others. Maybe open up a small store and sell our own books, I would love that.

Yes, little independent bookshops are adorable! Books should appear at the library too (I'm assuming they don't already? I need to check).
  • TheSimlishJoeTheSimlishJoe Posts: 1 New Member
    I wish that they added this in. :( I wanted to build a bookshop with books on display that are actually buyable and written by my sim. I also want to pass books down generations.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited July 2019
    It would add more realism if this were added. Other sims could buy them too and read them. It would make having a celebrity writer more believable.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Absolutely!

Honestly, I could go for a full books revamp, I'd even maybe be willing to buy some kind of "library pack" centered around improving books, reading, writing, and libraries.
  • Sakuske1Sakuske1 Posts: 86 Member
    I used to have specially designated bookshelves in my houses SPECIFICALLY to hold all the books my sim families would write over generations, usually in a little nook with pictures and maybe even their urns in a little memorial display, and every so often, I'd have later generations read their ancestors' books and I MISS THAT SO MUCH!!

I LOVE the ideas about making small independent bookstores and book signings! I really wish those were things in the game now.
    Check out my Gallery with Origin ID: kkranich
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    This thread was started before Get to Work was released, so it might be worth mentioning that having a retail store where your sims sell their own books works fine.

There may be one bug, though. Books that are bought in that store can't be read if they are placed on the floor or a surface, only from the bookshelf menu. But maybe that's just because I saved the lot (including all written books) and used it in another game, haven't confirmed that yet.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    This thread was started before Get to Work was released, so it might be worth mentioning that having a retail store where your sims sell their own books works fine.

There may be one bug, though. Books that are bought in that store can't be read if they are placed on the floor or a surface, only from the bookshelf menu. But maybe that's just because I saved the lot (including all written books) and used it in another game, haven't confirmed that yet.

I think what this thread is talking about is not just having one copy of a book you write, which effectively disappears when you publish or sell it away, but rather having a book that, once published, is simply able to be purchased from a computer or bookshelf like any other book.
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    edited August 2019
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    I think what this thread is talking about is not just having one copy of a book you write, which effectively disappears when you publish or sell it away, but rather having a book that, once published, is simply able to be purchased from a computer or bookshelf like any other book.

You are right about not being able to purchase them via Simazon, but I could live with supporting my local book store, in terms of storytelling. The books do not disappear, you can restock them indefinitely.

EDIT: Also, these wouldn't be the only books not available from a computer or bookshelf, it's pretty much the same as buying books from the Strangerville shop.
    Post edited by TopNotchToddler on
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I really liked that about Sims 3! It increased the immersion, since your Sims books didn‘t just disappear into nowhere
    a256aFi.gif