Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What if all NPC jobs were also playable?

With freelancing, and now the new "part time" gigs, it seems like this option is just more and more viable. Why should your sim's librarian fiance have to lose their job at the library as soon as you move them in? Why is there no playable wellness based career? With the photography skill, why can't you pursue a career as a freelance photographer (or paparazzi??)

In my estimation, nearly every "NPC role" could--and I think, should--be an option for your played sim as well.

First, the "part-time gigs": now that we can have the teen jobs through adulthood and be a part-time babysitter or barista, I see no reason there couldn't be versions of that for repairman, maid, mailman, pizza deliverer, yoga instructor, DJ, makeup and wardrobe stylist, camera and special effects operator, and librarian. Even park ranger seems viable for this, without too much work. There's probably a few others I missed, but at least those seem like they could be part time jobs.

Second, there could be freelance versions of the following:

Massage therapist, reflexologist, gyjm trainer, and yoga instructor: you could book a gig, and then invite over your "client" (like the mechanic for inviting over firector and co-stars for the acting career). They would arrive at whatever lot you're on, and then you do the thing (give a massage, guide them in a yoga routine, help them work out, something like that). When you complete the task they "requested," you get paid.

Photographer/Paprazzi: Apparently there's a photography career coming with a new pack, but I don't know how it's going to work. (if it's done well, I may buy the pack, I'm that desperate for photography things, so let me know how it works out lol) But, in any case, this could work really well as a freelance career. Regular photography would be basically like the digital artist freelance track, only with taking pictures. But I also think it'd be fun to have a paparazzi career patched into the Get Famous pack, where you could book gigs to stalk celebrities and try and take pictures and sell them for crazy amounts of money (but, like...lose a LOT of reputation, lol).

Now, some of these are already (kinda) playable careers, but I think it'd be nice to have freelance options as well: entertainer, mixologist, caterer, and DJ (again. I really just want my played sim to be able to be a DJ, okay?) You can hire them for your own parties, but you can't actually be a party entertainer or caterer. Now, I get that that would be kind of tricky, but we can already get invited to events (birthdays and charity functions at least. How hard would it be to be "invited" when you book a gig, just not as a guest? You'd be taken to event, perform/cook/mix drinks, and then get paid at the end, maybe getting a bonus for how well you do. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to implement. But, if that's too much, maybe there'd be a way to incorporate rabbit holes for specific gigs, have tasks like "go to this venue and do the thing" and then get paid. Maybe for catering you could even, like..."send" the finished food to the client, like how you submit things for approval in the writer and artist freelance track.

And lastly, film director should just be a playable career lol. As a rabbit hole, if we really can't get an active career version like acting.

Anyway, those are the ones I've thought of--do you have any NPC jobs you like to play in game? What would be your favorite/top priority to have? Have I missed any (probably)? Let me know! I just feel so teased seeing all these jobs I can't actually play!

Comments

• sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    I'd love all the jobs lol. But what I'd love even more if my sim is in a career, lets say he's a mixologist, and I go to a bar with a different sim I would love to see my mixologist sim tending the bar. Same for chef, waiter, barista, DJ, Athlete and anything else.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    sofasim wrote: »
    I'd love all the jobs lol. But what I'd love even more if my sim is in a career, lets say he's a mixologist, and I go to a bar with a different sim I would love to see my mixologist sim tending the bar. Same for chef, waiter, barista, DJ, Athlete and anything else.

Omgosh, absolutely! I'm a rotational player, and I find it so frustrating that it's so rare to see my other played sims actually in their proper roles out in the world. I think the best we get is that sometimes sims in the entertainer career will show up at lounges, but it's just as likely to be a generated or random NPC, or some other sim of mine that happens to have some comedy or music skill. The biggest recent disappointment for me is that I finally played a character that owned/ran a vet clinic...but when I would bring my other households there, he wasn't the vet! It was some other randos! In fact, he showed up as a "pet owner" patient at his own vet clinic!!!

Like, in this post, I was trying to keep my point focused on one basic topic, but truly I wish we had a comprehensive "manage and assign jobs" option, so we could designate who we wanted to serve in those functions, and who we didn't. Like, we could still leave up to the game if we wanted, but for those (like me) who want a little more control over our sim world, it would really help a lot!
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited July 2019
    No joke, as we speak I am in the process of trying to "rehire" some of my librarians. I'd turned them into mermaids which worked fine but then I started editing them in CAS and that seemed to bork everything. I'd love to be able to just play a sim who works as a librarian or pizza delivery sim or mail carrier, it'd make all of this so much easier.
    FanPhoria wrote: »

Omgosh, absolutely! I'm a rotational player, and I find it so frustrating that it's so rare to see my other played sims actually in their proper roles out in the world. I think the best we get is that sometimes sims in the entertainer career will show up at lounges, but it's just as likely to be a generated or random NPC, or some other sim of mine that happens to have some comedy or music skill. The biggest recent disappointment for me is that I finally played a character that owned/ran a vet clinic...but when I would bring my other households there, he wasn't the vet! It was some other randos! In fact, he showed up as a "pet owner" patient at his own vet clinic!!!

And some job relevancy in this vein would also be greatly appreciated, why'd I go through the effort of buying a vet clinic and having three sims in my household work to become master vets if I'm going to see three randoms when I visit the vet clinic outside of working there? Why in the heck can't I just make a sim a bouncer instead of seeing every random sim and their grandmother filling the role??? And I've already mentioned it but it's worth being mentioned as many times as possible, WHY MUST LIBRARIANS BE SO FINICKY?!?!?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

You can already do both things. If you have high enough skill in either you'll get tips from tending the bar or the dj booth. Same for any instrument or the microphone so your sims can also be entertainers. You can make them self employed with the "register with the ministry of labor" on the phone.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

You can already do both things. If you have high enough skill in either you'll get tips from tending the bar or the dj booth. Same for any instrument or the microphone so your sims can also be entertainers. You can make them self employed with the "register with the ministry of labor" on the phone.

I think they mean when they're playing a different household. Sure, when I'm actively playing those sims, I can send them to a bar or lounge and have the bar tend or do stand up or whatever. But, when I'm in rotation and playing a different household, the game randomly selects sims to fill those rolls when my sims go out, and it's not usually my sims from my other played household that I set up to be a bartender or musician or whatever. It's usually, like. Caleb Vatore or some 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

And man, @GGgkkg, I forgot about bouncers! That would be a perfect part-time gig!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019

I think they mean when they're playing a different household. Sure, when I'm actively playing those sims, I can send them to a bar or lounge and have the bar tend or do stand up or whatever. But, when I'm in rotation and playing a different household, the game randomly selects sims to fill those rolls when my sims go out, and it's not usually my sims from my other played household that I set up to be a bartender or musician or whatever. It's usually, like. Caleb Vatore or some plum.

And man, @GGgkkg, I forgot about bouncers! That would be a perfect part-time gig!

Haaa....see the thing is, when the game does that it strips away the careers of those "played households" while you are playing rotational. That's why it doesn't work like that anymore. As for non played I'm not sure but I think NPC's with higher skills for the use of those objects have a higher chance at tending them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

I think they mean when they're playing a different household. Sure, when I'm actively playing those sims, I can send them to a bar or lounge and have the bar tend or do stand up or whatever. But, when I'm in rotation and playing a different household, the game randomly selects sims to fill those rolls when my sims go out, and it's not usually my sims from my other played household that I set up to be a bartender or musician or whatever. It's usually, like. Caleb Vatore or some plum.

Haaa....see the thing is, when the game does that it strips away the careers of those "played households" while you are playing rotational. That's why it doesn't work like that anymore. As for non played I'm not sure but I think NPC's with higher skills for the use of those objects have a higher chance at tending them.

I guess? But then, why do random pre-mades end up as bartenders all the time? I don't think Malcolm Landgraab comes with the mixology skill. So, it kind of works that way, but not really. ANd it bugs me that we can't designate who the professional performers are, and who just picked up guitar as a hobby. And stripping careers of played households should at least be optional, imo.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member

this.

especially for doctor its always some random intern and it annoys me so much

also if your sims are in same playable career and work at same time they should both show up at work even if only one of them is playable

+ would love if they made some of those part times active too

and working active career as maid just be most lit thing ever tbh
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    Simmingal wrote: »
    + would love if they made some of those part times active too

and working active career as maid just be most lit thing ever tbh

That'd be awesome, have the option to go to a random sim's home and clean up, I can even imagine the goals (mop 3 puddles, clean up 5 trash piles, clean all dirty dishes, etc.) Kind of reminds me of that 2-player maid minigame in the first Sims for console, anyone remember that?
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Yeah, I wish we could have our sims as bartenders, repairmen and such. I have a sim I wish could be a plumber (handyman). Instead he is a part time fisherman. I’d love to have one of my sims be a mailman too. And I have one townie family I made where the father is a yoga instructor.... I wanted to play the family, but I didn’t want the father to lose his job...lol. I have noticed however that we do have the chance to hire one of our favorited sims work as an employee in a business now.
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I would love to have sims in those positions.
  • WhiteWolfLGWhiteWolfLG Posts: 1 New Member
    ich würde es cool finden wen man als geheimen Beruf ,den Sensenmannberuf spielen könnte , wen man in der Entwicklung des Sims gewisse Voraussetzungen erfüllt hat.
    Diese Möglichkeit hat EA nie ins spiel mal gebracht , wobei das ein ziemlich cooler Beruf wär.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    ich würde es cool finden wen man als geheimen Beruf ,den Sensenmannberuf spielen könnte , wen man in der Entwicklung des Sims gewisse Voraussetzungen erfüllt hat.
    Diese Möglichkeit hat EA nie ins spiel mal gebracht , wobei das ein ziemlich cooler Beruf wär.

here's a GTS translation of
    I would find it cool who you could play as a secret profession, the Grim Reaper, who met certain conditions in the development of the Sims.
    This option has never brought EA into the game, which would be a pretty cool profession.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yaaaaaas!
    It's one of the bigger gripes I have with TS4, that I can't give these jobs to my played sims as a proper career choice. It puzzles me why we can't!
    Why can't they just work as a vet at the vet clinic? Why do they have to own it?! Why can't they be mailmen, paparazzi, repairmen, landlords, maid, librarian, all those jobs you see in the actor career, or gym trainers?
    Speaking of which, wouldn't it be better if a sim we made is the gym trainer at some specific gym, rather than some randomly generated sim?

I want to be able to see my sims out in the world doing their job while I play as other sims aswell. I want to see the sim in the doctor career at the hospital, my barista in the café, my vet working at the clinic, and a food critic in a restaurant etc.
    It would make the game feel more alive and personal. Not to mention how it would help set up stories.
    Post edited by RIP-Troika-Games on
    Speaking of which, wouldn't it be better if a sim we made is the gym trainer at some specific gym, rather than some randomly generated sim?

The sad thing is, I have plenty of my own sims as gym trainers, and I even set up their backstories and hidden + reward traits to support their lives (and my maids, repairsims, pizza delivery sims, landlords, etc. as well), and I put in all this work knowing I'd never be able to play them again, knowing I have no control over them and I can't marry them into any other households unless I'm ready for them to have another job. Really brings the line "you rule" into question...
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    GGgkkg wrote: »

The sad thing is, I have plenty of my own sims as gym trainers, and I even set up their backstories and hidden + reward traits to support their lives (and my maids, repairsims, pizza delivery sims, landlords, etc. as well), and I put in all this work knowing I'd never be able to play them again, knowing I have no control over them and I can't marry them into any other households unless I'm ready for them to have another job. Really brings the line "you rule" into question...

Same. It frustrates me quite a bit... I want these to be career choices for played sims aswell and that they will actually do their job out in the world. :/
  • arae9arae9 Posts: 24 Member
    I am completely with you, I wish it were like this
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    I couldn't agree more. I'm always happy to have more career/job options, particularly more 'every day' ones. My vampire sim would make a perfect librarian. A repairman job would be nice too for my handy sims.
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    I most want Grim’s job to be playable >:)
    Hopefully not a rabbit hole career. I'd love to do all the "culling" manually. And we would need a Waffle Haus where all the reapers go and get their assignments.

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    People want even more careers and all I'm hoping for is a pack without one.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2019
    I would like that if they were! At least some of them, if not all.

There could be some kind of "manage tool" (lack of a better word) for that, where you can choose sims for different jobs.

And in that there could be at least these things:
    - It shows: All jobs that needs a worker, and you can choose a sim there to fill that job.
    *Even better there would be all the jobs available, and would would be able to manage those.
    - It shows: Skills/traits they need to have to be able do that job.
    - An option: To choose your own created sims or to choose game to create NPC for that job that has those needed skills/traits.
    - A notification: If that sim already has a job, then you can choose if you want them still to get that job (and lose that previous one) or choose another sim for that.

Also it would be good if they would not lose their jobs after moving in or when moved in somewhere even when not played (because that happens also in some jobs)! Some of those careers could be just a rabbit holes, if not playable. I would be fine with that.

I just don't like how things work at the moment, because those could be better. Especially now that it seems to gotten even worse, since now game is creating/hiring new NPCs for jobs all the time even if that job was already filled and that sim still exists. It wasn't like that before (at least most of those NPC careers), so this has been even more annoying that it was before.

I understand if some people wouldn't even care about this. But these things bothers me too, mostly because of my play style and my want to control some things in game. I just wish that there are some improvement made with this. :|

+ I like those different ideas mentioned by @FanPhoria and others above! :)
  • PixellamaPixellama Posts: 31 Member
    GREAT IDEA, it must be easier since all the animations are already made!! We need a sp to cover NPC jobs! NOW!!! hahah lol
    jj_____ wrote: »
    I would like that if they were! At least some of them, if not all.

There could be some kind of "manage tool" (lack of a better word) for that, where you can choose sims for different jobs.

And in that there could be at least these things:
    - It shows: All jobs that needs a worker, and you can choose a sim there to fill that job.
    *Even better there would be all the jobs available, and would would be able to manage those.
    - It shows: Skills/traits they need to have to be able do that job.
    - An option: To choose your own created sims or to choose game to create NPC for that job that has those needed skills/traits.
    - A notification: If that sim already has a job, then you can choose if you want them still to get that job (and lose that previous one) or choose another sim for that.

Also it would be good if they would not lose their jobs after moving in or when moved in somewhere even when not played (because that happens also in some jobs)! Some of those careers could be just a rabbit holes, if not playable. I would be fine with that.

I just don't like how things work at the moment, because those could be better. Especially now that it seems to gotten even worse, since now game is creating/hiring new NPCs for jobs all the time even if that job was already filled and that sim still exists. It wasn't like that before (at least most of those NPC careers), so this has been even more annoying that it was before.

I understand if some people wouldn't even care about this. But these things bothers me too, mostly because of my play style and my want to control some things in game. I just wish that there are some improvement made with this. :|

+ I like those different ideas mentioned by @FanPhoria and others above! :)

This would be awesome! Yes! Exactly the the kind of thing I had in mind!
  • jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2019

This would be awesome! Yes! Exactly the the kind of thing I had in mind!

@FanPhoria
    Awesome! I'm happy if you got the idea, because I'm not that good at explaining things and English is not my native language. :)