Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dutch Names of Don & Cassandra

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but something that has 'bothered' me for years is that in the Dutch version of the game Don Lothario and Cassandra Goth have their English names instead of their Dutch ones (Stefano Bigoli and Alexandra van de Kerkhof). This would be so easy to fix in a patch or whatever, so why has this never been done really?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’ve always disliked actually sims in the Dutch game have different names. Took me a while to figure out Bella Goth was who I knew as Cora van de Kerkhof. If they didn’t do this in Sims 4 (funny, I never noticed!) that absolutely works better for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    It really bugs me that they localize some of the names (Russian in my case) and don't localize the rest.
    Like Goths are unchanged in my game, but for some reason we have Gerbert Landgraab instead of Geoffrey, and Calientes have Georgian surname Gongadze.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I installed the game in English on purpose because the name list in Italian is lacking and also somewhat offensive... All the townies spawn with the surname "Calogero" like all Italians were from Sicily.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I installed the game in English on purpose because the name list in Italian is lacking and also somewhat offensive... All the townies spawn with the surname "Calogero" like all Italians were from Sicily.
    Yeah, I also wish languages were not restricted to regions in Origin :/
    We can't have English version.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’ve always disliked actually sims in the Dutch game have different names. Took me a while to figure out Bella Goth was who I knew as Cora van de Kerkhof. If they didn’t do this in Sims 4 (funny, I never noticed!) that absolutely works better for me.

Bella is such a global name that I don't think worth of localizing. I don't think it's an exception in the Netherlands. Renaming popular sims to localize ones sounds like a bad idea. Can't they use closest equivalents?

I guess it's a good thing my language isn't provided for choice :smiley:
    NNpYlHF.jpg

Bella is such a global name that I don't think worth of localizing. I don't think it's an exception in the Netherlands. Renaming popular sims to localize ones sounds like a bad idea. Can't they use closest equivalents?

I guess it's a good thing my language isn't provided for choice :smiley:
    In my Sims 3 game Bella is called Cora. That name has such an entirely different connotation, it’s just bad translation imo. Took me quite some time to figure out that by Bella Goth people were referring to Cora van de Kerkhof (literally: Cora from the Graveyard, which is an actual Dutch surname but it’s in no way sexy like Goth is). I wish I could set my Dutch game (I prefer playing in my own language overall) to use English names.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    I wish I could set my Dutch game (I prefer playing in my own language overall) to use English names.

I would lik that option too. At least they kept the world names in sims 4. In sims 2 even those were translated.

I agree. If you absolutely have to translate names (why?) , at least pick something similar. Although the name translations in sims games are not half as irritating as the mess of name translations you find in the Dutch version of the Harry Potter books. :/
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I wish I could set my Dutch game (I prefer playing in my own language overall) to use English names.

I would lik that option too. At least they kept the world names in sims 4. In sims 2 even those were translated.

I agree. If you absolutely have to translate names (why?) , at least pick something similar. Although the name translations in sims games are not half as irritating as the mess of name translations you find in the Dutch version of the Harry Potter books. :/
    Oh dear yes! Couldn’t agree more.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    In Polish The Goth family since TS1 were "Ćwir" and it means "tweet" or "twirl". I don't know why... Maybe because the word "ćwir" (chvir) sounds familiar to "świr" (schvir) (lunatic, freak) and someone found it funny many years ago? I prefer original name.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl