Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things you didn't know!

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm talking about personality traits, @SimAlexandria, not aspirations.

Oh yes but you add those when they age up as well. Like a child only picks one of them, and then you get another one when the agent to a teen and another one when they become a young adults.. all my Sims are born in game pretty much because I do the hundred baby challenge and only created the first Sim out of the last 60 I raised and many of them have traits like unflirty and hates kids Etc by the time they reach adulthood. They can't get all the traits of those, but they could get two of them or more.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'm talking about personality traits, @SimAlexandria, not aspirations.

Oh yes but you add those when they age up as well. Like a child only picks one of them, and then you get another one when the agent to a teen and another one when they become a young adults.. all my Sims are born in game pretty much because I do the hundred baby challenge and only created the first Sim out of the last 60 I raised and many of them have traits like unflirty and hates kids Etc by the time they reach adulthood. They can't get all the traits of those, but they could get two of them or more.

I have to agree with @GrumpyGlowfish - the point isn't that you can't add these traits when they do age up, it's that some of them would make a lot of sense for children & teens too, and both that & the extremely limited aspirations for children, are still kind of a bummer. I don't really understand why they don't let us make ambitious, snobby kids, and why they don't just add real aspirations to that life stage.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Well, my actual point was just the observation that you can't have a game-born sim who grows up to be, for example, Romantic and Ambitious and Family-Oriented at the same time - that's exactly what I was going for, a woman who perfectly balances her job, family, and love life, but then she aged up from toddler to child and I found that I couldn't give her any of these traits yet. I'll have to resort to tricks once she's old enough.

But yes, it is definitely frustrating how restricted sim children are compared to real ones, not just in terms of aspirations and personality, but also skills. Gardening, for example - at least let them water the flowers! I did that all the time as a kid when my parents still had their garden.
    Well, my actual point was just the observation that you can't have a game-born sim who grows up to be, for example, Romantic and Ambitious and Family-Oriented at the same time - that's exactly what I was going for, a woman who perfectly balances her job, family, and love life, but then she aged up from toddler to child and I found that I couldn't give her any of these traits yet. I'll have to resort to tricks once she's old enough.

But yes, it is definitely frustrating how restricted sim children are compared to real ones, not just in terms of aspirations and personality, but also skills. Gardening, for example - at least let them water the flowers! I did that all the time as a kid when my parents still had their garden.

Totally agree. I have 4 year old who loves gatdening and dancing and cooking etc. They need way more for kids to do
  • OphiuchuserRulesOphiuchuserRules Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2019
    You can use cheat to add or remove those traits. Click ctrl+shift+c at the same time to unlock the blink that allows you to enter cheat. Then type "traits.equip_trait nameofthetrait". Leave a blink after the traits.equip_trait, but don't leave any blink in the trait name. For example:
    "traits.equip_trait hateschildren"

To remove a trait, just change the equip to remove. For example:
    "traits.remove_trait lovesoutdoors"

Another way to change traits is type the cheat "cas.fulleditmode on", then go to manage the household, you can edit your current sims just like in the beginning when you create new ones.

As for why some traits are limited? Well, you should have known that traits will give a sim some unique features, such as non-commented sim can discuss the fear of commitment with other, romantic sim can do lots of romantic actions without feeling flirty...and so on, those trait won't work for kids because they can't romance! Those actions are only available when being teen above. So why bother having a trait with features that aren't doable in that age stage?

This are just my guessing, maybe it's not the EA that don't want those traits to be available for all age, it's the law or the public views will affect how a game can be designed. I know you guys must find it ridiculous like: "How on earth a game can affect people?", but the thing is that some people do get affected by a game, or take things too seriously. For example: if children can have those adult traits, does it means that they can romance with others, too? If so, what will you think of that all kids are "messing around"? And what if a kid who plays this game, or watch some game-playing videos involving the "kid-romance", decide to do the same in the real life? "Hey! Danny! I saw a guy playing a child sim who kissed all the girl, and flirted with any girls he met! It's so awesome! Maybe we should try it!" That's why there are laws to limit some games' features, because game can affect kids much easier than we had thought.

Followed by the worrying about the impact on people, I guess there are some people who just can't take it at all! For instance, knowing a game encourages kids to be dirty by having slob trait. Those people will view things too seriously to a point that they're being ridiculous! They will object such things and insist on how such thing will affect kids to do the same, demanding company to change it or stop selling it.

BTW, why discussed this in this thread? LOL! Sorry, I personally found it kinda funny because this should be discussed in a thread like "things that I should have known" instead of "things you didn't know".

Edit: I have to bold some words in case some people might misunderstand...
    Post edited by OphiuchuserRules on
    @OphiuchuserRules Wow, that's an awful lot of opinion for so little understanding!

This thread is for pointing out things about the game you didn't know, and I for one didn't know the sheer amount of traits that are locked for children. Then someone got the terms "traits" and "aspirations" mixed up, and that's how this discussion started, but it was quickly resolved until you came in and basically accused us all of being perverts for apparently wanting child romance. If you had read the previous posts properly, you would have noticed that no one was requesting that, and I even said it wouldn't be suitable for children because they can't have relationships anyway. We were talking about traits that would make sense for them, like Ambitious and Snob.

As you can see, no one was questioning the law the way you are questioning other people's reason, so if anything is uncalled for here, it's you playing moderator. Take your condescending psychology elsewhere.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2019
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    If your sims have a low bladder and can not make it near the bathroom, they will pee in the ocean and get a happy moodlet from it. xD
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

@OphiuchuserRules Wow, that's an awful lot of opinion for so little understanding!

This thread is for pointing out things about the game you didn't know, and I for one didn't know the sheer amount of traits that are locked for children. Then someone got the terms "traits" and "aspirations" mixed up, and that's how this discussion started, but it was quickly resolved until you came in and basically accused us all of being perverts for apparently wanting child romance. If you had read the previous posts properly, you would have noticed that no one was requesting that, and I even said it wouldn't be suitable for children because they can't have relationships anyway. We were talking about traits that would make sense for them, like Ambitious and Snob.

As you can see, no one was questioning the law the way you are questioning other people's reason, so if anything is uncalled for here, it's you playing moderator. Take your condescending psychology elsewhere.

To be fair, it wasn't the words traits and aspirations I mixed up,it was that I was thinking of those bonus traits that come with the aspirations for kids and forgetting that kids get another one too. I was mixing up kids and toddlers more than traits and aspirations, thinking kids just picked one thing and it was that bonus hahaha! Also I was mixing up that you wanted a combination of all three of those traits for a young adult born in game, and thinking by "any combination" you meant two or more... which can be done. They can have two of them with the exception of the 3 missing for teens, just not all three. (My fault, I was reading fast while making my daughter's breakfast and listening to her tell me about the dream she had the night before haha! I only half read it.)

If you get your Sims a Roomba, it will leave pet hair clogs all over your house when it malfunctions even if you've never had a pet. (PS: I heard these things are supposed to clean up toddler/kid paint messes but mine doesn't, it's the expensive one but not fully upgraded so is this why?)
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    You cannot give the following traits to children, meaning that, unless you use cheats or the trait switching potion, you can never have a sim born in-game with any combination of these when they grow up:

Romantic / Unflirty, Foodie, Ambitious, Childish, Clumsy, Dance Machine, Materialistic, Snob, Bro, Family-Oriented, Hates Children, Jealous, Noncommittal, Paranoid, Self-Absorbed.

That's an awful lot if you ask me! In some cases I get it, like Romantic, Unflirty and Jealous would be a waste of trait space because they're related to game features not available to children. But a snobby or self-absorbed kid is totally imaginable, and Ambitious could work the same way for school as it does for adult jobs. Now if you're thinking, fine, I'll just start with a teenager, think again: Three of the these traits (Ambitious, Family-Oriented, Noncommittal) are not available to them either for some reason.

You can still have sims born in game with these traits when they are adults though because every time they age up they change traits. like kids only have an option of four traits, motor, mental, social, and creative. Once they become a teen you pick new traits for them that replace the childhood one.

I think you're confusing traits with aspirations.
    funny-gifs20.gif

You cannot give the following traits to children, meaning that, unless you use cheats or the trait switching potion, you can never have a sim born in-game with any combination of these when they grow up:

Romantic / Unflirty, Foodie, Ambitious, Childish, Clumsy, Dance Machine, Materialistic, Snob, Bro, Family-Oriented, Hates Children, Jealous, Noncommittal, Paranoid, Self-Absorbed.

That's an awful lot if you ask me! In some cases I get it, like Romantic, Unflirty and Jealous would be a waste of trait space because they're related to game features not available to children. But a snobby or self-absorbed kid is totally imaginable, and Ambitious could work the same way for school as it does for adult jobs. Now if you're thinking, fine, I'll just start with a teenager, think again: Three of the these traits (Ambitious, Family-Oriented, Noncommittal) are not available to them either for some reason.

You can still have sims born in game with these traits when they are adults though because every time they age up they change traits. like kids only have an option of four traits, motor, mental, social, and creative. Once they become a teen you pick new traits for them that replace the childhood one.

I think you're confusing traits with aspirations.

Aspirations: Get rewards for Completing. Traits add to Sims personality.

I'm Not really confusing them. But I was forgetting which ones belonged in each category and forgetting that kids could do aspirations. I was thinking that the four kids aspirations were like the toddler traits and kids didn't have any other options. I always forget kids can do aspirations because I never complete aspirations in game haha. It was more a confusion of kids and toddlers haha.
    It's alright, @nerdfashion, we already cleared it up. :D
    edited August 2019
    @GrumpyGlowfish No, you got me wrong, I just took the romance things between kids for instance! If you're willing to check my post again, you'll see I stated: "For example". I wanted to explain such thing by using an "assumed" situation for people to understand. And I didn't accuse anyone of anything in the very beginning! I just tried to view things from the game-creators' perspectives like maybe they didn't add those traits for kids because of laws or some public stress. Those people who didn't realize such things might be confused, or even complain about it by sending letters to EA. I think making those traits be available for kids shouldn't be that hard for EA to do. So I guess there must be something stop them to do so.

This time, let's take Ambitious trait that you're referring for example, as far as I know, this trait mainly focuses on their careers, jobs, anything about work. Sims with this trait will have special moodlets towards work-related situations such as getting promoted, starting a new job...ect. Since it's designed to do with job, which means it won't be available for kids because they can't have job. It'll be pointless if they have this trait just because they can't have jobs, they won't get those work-related events to trigger this trait's unique features. Although I can understand if you want an Ambitious kid who wants to get good grades, and be a A student. It's shame that EA forget some kids love school and being good students.

And now do you see what I'm doing here? I was just trying to make some examples for people to understand how traits work in this game. I didn't see anyone mention the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 things you're referring to, and I'd not accused anyone of this, either. I was just making up some situations to explain things, why you jumped into the conclusion that I was accusing people for being perverts? And more importantly, I used the word "I guess", which meant all about those things were just my own, shallow, stupid thoughts. I'm not trying to play a moderator here, and I'm really sorry, from the bottom of my heart, if my posts had offended anyone, especially you. And still, I hate to point out that it's you who had misunderstood my post in a unfriendly, negative way...
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

Ah fair enough, I guess I got hung up on my own biggest issue - lack of kid personalization :D

But I completely agree with you - and I honestly didn't even think about it like that. Let's hope they change this one day.
    I think the main point for giving kids traits that aren't doable as kids, would be so they have those traits when they grow up so that they can get the combo of 3 of them.
    People change as they get older though, irl, I kinda wish that when kids age up, instead of just adding a new trait, the old one could be changed (without cheats) as well. I know there are things I was really interested in as a kid that I no longer am.
    edited August 2019

it wasn't the words traits and aspirations I mixed up

Oh! Now I know what you were talking about, it literally took me for an hour to go back and forth between those posts because I couldn't understand what you'd told. I'm so sorry about that. But you're excellent player by knowing those stuffs, I must say! I've gone through all the posts in this thread, there was a player complaining he bought a potion and a trait from the reward store. But he could only find one potion! His post was like he yelled out loud with rage: "WHY THERE IS NO GOOD KISSER POTION IN MY INVENTORY? HOW CAN I GET THIS REWARD TRAIT IF I CAN'T FIND IT AND DRINK IT!" He was so angry that you could just tell by his words, then a player sort of "merged" up, telling him: "Reward traits were "traits", you couldn't drink them."

(My fault, I was reading fast while making my daughter's breakfast and listening to her tell me about the dream she had the night before haha! I only half read it.)

What's your daughter dream? I hope it didn't involve the "children romance" :D , or "accusing someone of being a perverts"... :'(

it wasn't the words traits and aspirations I mixed up

Oh! Now I know what you were talking about, it literally took me for an hour to go back and forth between those posts because I couldn't understand what you'd told. I'm so sorry about that. But you're excellent player by knowing those stuffs, I must say! I've gone through all the posts in this thread, there was a player complaining he bought a potion and a trait from the reward store. But he could only find one potion! His post was like he yelled out loud with rage: "WHY THERE IS NO GOOD KISSER POTION IN MY INVENTORY? HOW CAN I GET THIS REWARD TRAIT IF I CAN'T FIND IT AND DRINK IT!" He was so angry that you could just tell by his words, then a player sort of "merged" up, telling him: "Reward traits were "traits", you couldn't drink them."

(My fault, I was reading fast while making my daughter's breakfast and listening to her tell me about the dream she had the night before haha! I only half read it.)

What's your daughter dream? I hope it didn't involve the "children romance" :D , or "accusing someone of being a plum"... :'(

Haha no but she's only 4 and could only remember half of it. Was something to do with sitting around a campfire haha
  • LithilienLithilien Posts: 92 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    If your sims have a low bladder and can not make it near the bathroom, they will pee in the ocean and get a happy moodlet from it. xD

LOL that is so funny !!!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    When a vampire-alien hybrid and a mermaid-alien hybrid try for a baby, their child is a vampire-mermaid-alien hybrid.

Yes I know that all hybrids are buggy but the two hybrids I tried this with were not acquired by cheats - the game does sometimes generate them, especially as a result of alien abductions.
  • octavion4444octavion4444 Posts: 28 Member
    I didnt know vampires could get a negative moodlet from ghosts-dogs, and both vampires and ghosts are undeadly. Strange i thought they liked ghosts.
    What kind of moodlet did your vampire have? Moodlet will show the reason why, or what cause a sim to have it, so you can learn to get or avoid a certain moodlet. If it said from "being a vampire", then as you'd shared that vampires just don't like ghost dogs! I'm not quite sure about vampire and dogs since I never played them, but if the ghost dogs has bad hygiene, sims including vampires ones will get negative moodlets. Some traits will have powerful impacts on how a sims react to certain things, if your vampire sim is Neat or Squeamish, he or she won't be happy around a low-hygiene dog, dead or alive.

One time, my sim traveled to the Brindleton Bay's museum, upon arriving there, he got an uncomfortable moodlet right away, I was confused by it, trying to find out what caused it by looking everywhere thoroughly. Then I noticed that there were lots of ghost or living pets wandering there with bad hygiene, I could see the smelly and flies animations on those poor, stray animals. How sad...
    edited August 2019
    Haha no but she's only 4 and could only remember half of it. Was something to do with sitting around a campfire haha

LOL, I was trying to save the awkwardness by telling the self-deprecating jokes, so that I could lower the duration of my current embarrassed mood! I'm so embarrassed that I could have died from it like sims! Oh my gosh! I still can't believe people would ignore the "For example" I had stated, then telling me that I was the bad one by accusing them of being perverts? Such big misunderstanding was so terrible to the point that I even felt like "being accused to accuse someone of being perverts, is worse than being a real 🐸🐸🐸🐸 itself!" LOL! The whole thing just didn't make any sense to me! I'm not English-based, but don't English natives use the phrase "For example" to explain something by "making up an example"? Or people don't use it because it's out of date or old school? Maybe I should have start a thread titled as "Things I didn't know about English" to improve my hand-writing...

BTW, since you'd mentioned campfire, I discovered something about campfire in game, "Cozy up" means two sims to romantically snuggle around the fire, and they'll get special flirty moodlet, so don't do it with sims that you don't want to romance with. Sims will hung out or dance around a campfire as long as there is a fire on it. Usually, sims will perform the 'fire dance" on their own. Be careful, they'll put themselves on fire sometimes and get a special moodlet out of it. I'm not sure if this will kill a sim, just keep an eye on fire-dancing sims in case it might happen. And last one had been mentioned, but still worth bringing it up, is that you can burn the voodoo with campfire. If it has bonded to a sim, the target sim will be on fire. But I'm not sure if this will kill that target or not, I've tried it once and that sim was only on fire for a while. And I'm not sure if the target has to be at present, either. Just some information about campfire to share.

Now I should buy a voodoo, bonding it to myself, then burn it because I'm a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 who calls other to be one. Sorry, I can't stop the self-deprecating jokes...
  • NylaliaNylalia Posts: 64 Member
    TIL that if I click a photo in a family tree, I get the familial results for the Sim whose pic I clicked. I had fun clicking around and seeing who had kids with whom.
  • PixellamaPixellama Posts: 31 Member
    i recently read somewhere that when you click in the packs icons of the dlc used in a build you can see what exact objects are used!! cool, right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top