Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you even want older content updated?

PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
edited August 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
And if so, what is the best way to offer updated content?

I see two types of complaints:

- "I already paid for [specific content] in [specific Pack] so I'm upset that they offered this for free in a patch!!" (e.g. adding Photography skill to base game, or previous pack-based CAS content to base game).
- "I already paid for [specific content] in [specific Pack] so I'm upset they're asking us to spend more money to upgrade/enhance it in a paid pack!" (e.g. MFSP)

The only alternative I can see is that they offer upgrades for free to only those who had the old Pack, but then I imagine we'd hear:

- "I don't want the team spending their time/energy on upgrading/enhancing old content when there is so much more we've been asking for!"

I will say I DO want older content updated though. For example I'd love for them to update some features in retail/GTW, etc.

For me personally, it doesn't matter how they offer it (I was one of the few who was not offended by MFSP, and have ended up buying all the packs anyway) but I'm curious what others think about this.

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    As I have all the packs I look forward to updating of all of them if it makes integration and co-ordination of the whole game better. I cannot tell which items came from what pack these days and use all of the objects, lots, indiscriminately in all of the worlds.

Patches giving away some free stuff doesn't worry me any more. I've had some of that stuff for over four years of using it anyway and if it were a book I would probably have given that away to a charity shop free for someone else to enjoy.

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think it's simply by introducing new Packs and patch them. I like seeing how Packs can compliment each other in creating better content. I think it's a great time to revisit past content.

Like Get Together, Almost every pack works with Get Together to provide New Club Activities, Icons.

I would have loved to see, Get To Work Added to the mix.

Yes more active Careers, But the three, Original, Active Careers could get updates.
    For example as we get more Life States, Scientists, Doctors, and Detectives would have new things to work on.
    Scientists - New Gadgets to Invent and experiments accustomed to the New Life State.
    Doctors - New Illnesses and Injuries, and mysterious epidemics to cure.
    Detectives - New Crimes, New Threats, New Mysteries to Solve.

Dine Out, as we add more worlds more Styles of Restaurants and Dishes to make.

The Realm of Magic is coming:

What can Cats and Dogs offer to Realm of Magic? What can seasons offer to The Realm of Magic; Get Together and the realm of Magic; Vampires and The Realm of Magic?
    If I had my Sorcerer explore a Jungle Temple. how can his magic uniquely help him? Or How can My Sorcerer's magic be used against the Threat in Strangerville?

and so on. I think it would be cool.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Offering free update for specific packs would be great. I might enjoy that as opposed to getting new 'stuff'.

I'd love to see new stuff related to pets for C&D + MFPS owners, like pet houses, pet competitions, more small pets, or other things. Or new traditions and decorations added to Seasons. That to me would be much better than just getting more and more fashion content for YA women :)

And if they ever did this, it should definitely be free for those who already own the packs.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Yes, in the sense of Bug Fixes. That's about it tbh.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I definitely want ideas revisited and expanded on if it's a broad idea that can take many paths and have other ways to use it in gameplay and character building and for game play expansion. I love playing this game and want them to put out as much as they can for it.

I hope for instance that they revisit Aliens one day. That would be DLC for DLC but I wouldn't mind as I know it would take work and effort to put more into them.. or into an alien world that can be lived in for example. I don't have much hope for that to happen specifically but I'd be happy for it.
    I wouldn't mind in the future if they use some sparring animations again that came with Strangerville if they combine it with some sort of martial arts or other pack that has sims fighting.
    For people that don't want those things they don't have to get the pack to pay for it. Easy stuff. They already have it .. like photography so it should be enough for them. It's ridiculous to expect to get everything for free.

After watching the livestream I'm really looking forward to using the new photography gameplay objects. Especially the backdrops that are linkable.. you can have smaller or larger footprints and possibilities. The portable tripod that any camera fits on, the markers ... that probably were brainstormed from GF. Even the new digital picture frames are blowing me away. For me developing all those new objects takes time and some of the ideas that are in it probably were not even thought of or maybe possible even when GTW released. I think photography wasn't a big idea for that pack either way, more like a tack on. I'm surprised they fit all that into a stuff pack and would never expect all of that to come free.
    egTcBMc.png
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2019
    Grant has already said on Twitter that he's interested in releasing DLC for DLC (like they did with My First Pet Stuff) for other packs, like Get To Work.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Honestly, I don't play much with elders, and I'm a supernatural player (mosty vampires) so that kills the purpose entirely.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I would much rather for them to expand the already provided DLCs rather than adding hundreds with bare bone content. I miss the old team from TS1->TS3 who truly cared about giving us more within an expansion.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    Grant has already said on Twitter that he's interested in releasing DLC for DLC (like they did with My First Pet Stuff) for other packs, like Get To Work.
    I’m assuming, paid? That’s ridiculous.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well, I like it when they make packs compatible with each other's functions.
    Like if you have pets, you can swim with them in Sulani, you can take photos carrying them with MFSP etc.
    I hope they continue to do that.
    Also with fishing update before IL - didn't they add new fishing places to some previously released worlds as well? (pretty sure I noticed quite a few new ones)
    So they can do it, right?

Edit: Bug fiixes yes, but I doubt they'll ever be adding brand new funtionality/gameplay to old packs.
    edited August 2019
    @Morkovka They can. I’m positively 100% very sure that The Sims Studio is very capable of patching in more content for those who own a certain pack. It’s a matter of decision and most importantly EA Games $$$ mindset.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    If we ever get 64bit Sims4 as they promised we should have after February, I'm hoping that there will be more "stuff" covering all the previous packs, free patches or not.
    Sulani should be the first one that needs more work as it seems a bit unfinished.
  • _000key_000key Posts: 168 Member
    -Dine out is mega glicthy and a very nice idea of a pack. ( Should be patched before add more packs for sale.
    -get to work (has so much potential)
    -cool kicthen stuff should actually have cool kicthen stuff.
    -laundry day should have been free and seasons too. ( All games have seasons the sims is the only game where you have to pay for rain, snow, sun). They should have been updated not packs.
    edited August 2019
    Hestia wrote: »

Of course. They always find ways to squeeze money out of players. Like with Toddlers, they added them in for free (not an achievement considering they should have been there in the first place) but then made money out of them with their own stuff pack.

Grant said MFPS was "an experiment". They regretted the timing (with it coming out shortly after Cats & Dogs) and all the backlash as a result probably stopped any plans they had for similar packs, at least for the foreseeable future. Maxis said it sold very well, but when asked if it sold as well as other stuff packs they said they couldn't disclose that information.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    It really depends for me something like My First Pet was a complete money grab it came right after Cats and Dogs and offered missing peices of furniture to sets that should of been in Cats and Dogs. Now if they came out years later and wanted to actually fix poorly done packs like Get to Work which failed in everything especially retail I would all be for it seeing as I hate it now and Open for Business was my favorite pack ever.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    edited August 2019

Of course. They always find ways to squeeze money out of players. Like with Toddlers, they added them in for free (not an achievement considering they should have been there in the first place) but then made money out of them with their own stuff pack.

Grant said MFPS was "an experiment". They regretted the timing (with it coming out shortly after Cats & Dogs) and all the backlash as a result probably stopped any plans they had for similar packs, at least for the foreseeable future. Maxis said it sold very well, but when asked if it sold as well as other stuff packs they said they couldn't disclose that information.

Sheesh. Give us Will Wright back already.
    Post edited by Hestia on
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    This reminds me of Sims 3, where they'd release a pack and then shortly afterwards they'd release store content that thematically matched a pack. Of course there were complaints that they were deliberately withholding content from packs in order to make money from it later.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    This reminds me of Sims 3, where they'd release a pack and then shortly afterwards they'd release store content that thematically matched a pack. Of course there were complaints that they were deliberately withholding content from packs in order to make money from it later.

I remember this. Back when the pack with content from decades like the 70s and 80s came out, shortly afterwards the store revealed items inspired by the 70s and 80s. Take stuff out of packs and sell it for more later is the standard now.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited August 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    It really depends for me something like My First Pet was a complete money grab it came right after Cats and Dogs and offered missing peices of furniture to sets that should of been in Cats and Dogs. Now if they came out years later and wanted to actually fix poorly done packs like Get to Work which failed in everything especially retail I would all be for it seeing as I hate it now and Open for Business was my favorite pack ever.

I agree. For me it all depends on the timing. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to fix GTW through DLC and make it more like Open For Business, I'd be happy if they did but I wouldn't be happy if they did it right after GTW was released. If they did it now it would be appropriate, it would still sting a little because we'd have to pay but it would sting much less.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• minimonsterscottminimonsterscott Posts: 22 Member
    For me, the thing that REALLY made me shout, "Plum!" about MFPS wasn't exclusively about the withheld content from C&D, it was the release & timing of the whole thing. I had pre-ordered C&D at full price, and was both Amazed and Enchanted at the level of attention and detailing that the two species released in that pack were given. They even had inserted the previously-stated-as-Impossible color wheel system to be able to customize the animal's coats. Even with only the two species having been brought into the game, and the fact that an animal from the pack took a household slot of its own out of the eight that we are given and was not able to be played as they had been in previous iterations.

For me, it was that MFPS was released as a SP at an SP price, SIMULTANEOUSLY as them cutting the pricing of the C&D EP by 50%, so if I had only waited one month after C&D's release, I could have purchased both for LESS than the price of the EP alone. It would not have 'hurt' so much if they had delayed the release of the SP for maybe some six months, to give the appearance that they were or had created additional content to ENHANCE C&D, not brazenly showing us that we could purchase the content that should have been a part of the EP in the first place.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Sheesh. Give us Will Right back already.

Will Wright*

And Grant is no longer working on TS4 so you all don't have to worry about that.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think the reason they're making some 'paid' content free in patches is because some people may not buy the packs. Some may not have Get To Work, so this allows them to have this content. Is it frustrating for the ones that bought it? Of course. But I suppose from this side of things, I could see why they're doing it.

However, I think they need a NEW approach to this, because it does.. feel a bit like a slap on the face to those that bought all the content. What has been really getting me about the content of Sims 4 is the fact that they're recycling too much. They give you a shirt and then just slap a new pattern on it, to make the pack seem "Full". But it's not. It's just a recolor that we should have got in *Insert pack name here*.

I don't know why they're doing this. I really wish we could get a straight answer. But that's likely not going to happen.

I suppose the other reason why they're recycling things is because, again, if someone doesn't buy an older pack, they're "missing out" on that content. So, if they buy *this new pack* they'll at least have some of that content.

But it's actually turning me away from Sims altogether. I get why they may need to do this and I was fine with it at the beginning, but now it's just all the time and it really makes me think. . . why am I paying full price for something I already have? So now I don't buy stuff without looking for some kind of discount.

I don't know what new approach they could do.. but something needs to happen. Though we're on 5 years... unfortunately seems unlikely. I love this game and franchise. But I realllly hope they don't do this plum with Sims 5 and if they do, I will make sure to always wait for a sale, especially if they just keep recycling clothes and hairs and making us pay 40+, etc.

*EDIT* To answer the question of the thread. "Do I want older content updated". Definitely. Aliens need a massive overhaul, as well as the traits/emotions and I would love some of the packs to be updated, as it's been 5 years now and they seem 'outdated' and some stuff really needs to be fixed. (Nurses shouldn't just stand around in the doctor career, for example).

Like another player that posted on here, I would love to see new packs compliment old ones. I really enjoy when a new pack comes out that can also be played with my other packs. (Seasons, for instance, compliments lots of packs and affects them "negatively" as well. Because, for example, if you want to go out on vacation to Sulani, you might not be able to because there's a storm and it's raining for a week.

I would love to see a pack that compliments Parenthood. I'd just really love to see more family game-play. Generational game-play as well. I want every single life-stage to have game-play and content. (Infants to Elders!)

Realm of Magic - I'm very excited about this pack, but I would like to see how it affects other packs. I hope that magic can be a positive and a negative to all kinds of other content. We'll see. Can't wait for them to start talking about it! :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I'd much rather they squish bugs and fix the used to work things that they broke.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    If it requires I pay for it then no. If they can’t do something right the first time I don’t think it’s right to fill in the gaps later and charge even more money for it.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    I think they should

1. do stuff properly from start
    (ideal solution really)

2. stop recycling pack content so i don't have to double buy same object in different colors and get basically no new object
    (fire dance IL/GT is one annoying one)

3. stop taking pack content to base game or other packs and just update the existing pack if there needs to be additions

like i would not complain if they added new skill for gtw while taking photography out of it since that way everyone gets something new and fun and it doesn't make the pack smaller

but way it is now makes me annoyed because it pretty much renders me having bought gtw 40% useless when my favourite thing about it isnt even pack feature anymore and id have to buy yet another pack to get photography AGAIN

like there is so many things to make for this game and they choose to reuse things people paid for? really?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free