Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No books in the library?

So I started a new game after reinstalling the game. After I while I stopped by the library, figuring I could read up on some cooking skill, before work next day. But when I got there, there was no books in any of the book cases? Anyone had this bug and how do I fix it? She doesn't have enough money to buy her own books yet, but I figured she could study a bit at the library until she got out of the worst.

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Dida_Quickswitch

Have you tried replacing the bookcases to see if they install with books?
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    If that doesn't work, go to Edit Town, bulldoze the lot, then replace the library.
  • Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    I first disabled mods to see if it was causing it, but no. Then I placed every single bookcase in the game in there. Cheked them, most had random stories, but 1 had skill books. So I deleted all the other and put in a bunch of the skillbooks book case. So it's sorta fixed atleast.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I've seen this happen a few times. I don't know what causes it. :(
    I'd have to go back to an older or different save to get the bookcases back.

Which is different than skill books in bookcases on community lots. The skill books are only in one type of bookcase. The rest have different ones. The kids books are in one a few, also. I guess it was to keep it easier for us to find books that they only put certain types in certain bookcases.
    The bookcases which look like they'd go best in a library are Not the ones which have the skill books in them. :lol:
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Actually, there are two bookcases that will have skill books in them on community lots, the Book Corral, and the Penningway Bookshelf.
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    @IreneSwift I'll keep those in mind... Twinbrook library has no skill books.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    @IreneSwift I'll keep those in mind... Twinbrook library has no skill books.

I always edit the Twinbrook library to swap in some skill-book bookshelves. I do the same at the University and Bridgeport and any other towns with no skill-book book shelves.
    I decided to delete the whole game and make a new one. I got the same problem. Tried changing lot type, changing it back, replacing book cases, nothing helped. So I bulldozed the lot and made a new library from scratch. Same problem. every single book case had the same problem. Nothing I will do fixes it :(
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I decided to delete the whole game and make a new one. I got the same problem. Tried changing lot type, changing it back, replacing book cases, nothing helped. So I bulldozed the lot and made a new library from scratch. Same problem. every single book case had the same problem. Nothing I will do fixes it :(

Is this a world you're creating or one you downloaded?
    Do you have any mods which might be new?
    edited August 2019
    It's appalose plains from EA. I figured screw it, I just play and make this challenge even harder, but now I can't even BUY books in the bookstore, there are no books in there. That is a tad harder than I planned on. I also tried taking away ALL the mods, still didn't work.

*Edit tried a new game in a new EA world with a premade family and still the same problem. I don't know, maybe I need to reinstall the whole game. No idea why it doesn't work.
    Post edited by Dida_Quickswitch on
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited August 2019
    Maybe you can have your sim "Have lunch/dinner" option and just make one serving of autumn salad. Continue making them till you skill up, I think you can make them free from home?

Edit: you can also watch the cooking channel on TV, if your sim dont have a TV then try a venue. Collect rocks and harvest plants around town to sell enough to buy a book. I hadn't played in that world (AP) in a long time though.

I only spend my time basically in Uni, I noticed those bookshelves are always empty, I figured there was a thief in the dorm :D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Dida_Quickswitch - Rather than reinstalling the entire game, which usually doesn't really fix anything, you might want to try pulling your entire TS3 user game folder out of Documents to the Desktop for safekeeping, thus forcing the game to spawn a new no-content one in its place on the next startup. There will be no mods, added content, saves, etc. at all but those will all be safe in the pulled out folder. Then you would want to see if the books reappear on a new freshly started test game.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    @igazor Isn't there also an NRAAS command that populates the bookshelf with all books? I can't remember it right now but I know I have used it.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    edited August 2019
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    @igazor Isn't there also an NRAAS command that populates the bookshelf with all books? I can't remember it right now but I know I have used it.
    NRaas WrittenWord populates bookshelves and book cash registers with books in the General category (not skill books) that sims in town have themselves written. It's not a means for drawing all books possible to all bookshelves, but there are mods available from other sources that can do that.

The issue here seems to be that in some circumstances there are no books at all appearing on library bookshelves? Or is that no longer the case but it's just the skill books we are trying to acquire and make available? In any event, NRaas StoryProgression for those so inclined has an option that forces the repopulation of empty library bookshelves with fresh inventories of the books of the types they were meant to hold (SP Extra add-on module required, the option is under SP > General > Options: Lots). But that only helps if the player is already engaged with NRaas SP.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes, but there was a specific choice I clicked on that populated the bookshelf with all level 1 to 3 skill books.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Debug Enabler will add books of specified categories to bookshelves.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Debug Enabler will add books of specified categories to bookshelves.
    D'oh, that's the one! Somehow I felt like I had encountered that command before as well, but I knew it wasn't MC or SP that was providing it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I managed to get the books back, by deleting the bookcases from before and replacing them with other bookcases, both skill books and others. The few bookcases I left are still without a single book though.